Page 102 of 334 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112152202 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 8345

Thread: Pop Music Thread

As much as I love Someone Like You (it was massive here in the UK!) I don't think it's as good as Set Fire to the Rain, Turning Tables or One and Only. But if it hits number 1 over in the USA that'd be awesome. I'd like to see You and I hit number 1 most though, I love the song and the video.

Anyone an Avril fan here? Her new single, Wish You Were Here, comes out pretty soon so I'm excited for the video for that.
    nothing lasts forever, but this is getting good now.
    ~I've claimed Turtwig~

I'm betting sales will be the big factor for "Someone Like You" charting. Hell, if it sells enough because of the VMA's it could be #1 next week! Very, very unlikely but the music market sometimes is surprising.

Anyway, it was just announced that last night's VMA's ere the most watched in history. And the #1 non-sports telecast of the year. Basically, so many people saw Adele perform that she's guaranteed about 2 or 3 weeks at iTunes' #1.

If "Someone Like You" reaches #1 on the Hot 100, I'll concede the victory of biggest star of 2011 to Adele, as much as I'd prefer to stick by Gaga.

And "Set Fire To The Rain" better be single #3 in the US or else!

Unrelatedly, if Kylie Minogue doesn't release "Everything Is Beautiful" as a single I will be depressed. It is one of my favorite songs ever and it is just amazing. "Aphrodite" needs to be a single as well.
    Last edited by Retro Mew; 30th August 2011 at 3:57 AM.
    ミュウ

I hate EVERY Adele song. I think they are all awful.

The only one I LOVE is Set Fire To The Rain. That song is amazing.

I will be very dissapointed if it does not become a single.
    FRIEND CODE: Pokemon Y - 4399-0179-3036 (Willy)
    FRIEND SAFARI: ELECTRIC

Emolga - Helioptile - Manectric
    Bug Catcher Kreayshawn

Quote Originally Posted by Kreayshawn View Post

Well aren't you just one big contradiction. I can't wait for the Grammys!~ ♥♥

Yeah, Adele is way too overrated just cos she's a chart topper. I think she's inspiring more ballads to top US, UK and even Australian charts.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrakion View Post
    I know it's not very likely for Gaga to get the Vanguard award so early in her career, but she's won more VMAs than everyone except Madonna and she got a Grammy for the Bad Romance video. It's pretty obvious that she revitalized the music video in popular culture. You wouldn't believe how many times I've seen the term "post-Gaga." Within a year or two, her contributions to music videos could very well get her the Vanguard award.
    There's no doubt that GaGa changed the game. Even her haters have to admit that.
    I just hate that if any other established female artist does anything remotely outlandish now they are instantly labeled as 'copying GaGa'. Christina Aguilera came out with an incredibly similar look and sound when The Fame was blowing up so she kind of deserved it. But look at Gwen Stefani's The Sweet Escape. The music videos for "Wind It Up" and "The Sweet Escape"? Gwen was doing GaGa before even GaGa was doing GaGa!

Some epic non-VMA-related news: "Criminal" is the fourth Femme Fatale single! My favorite track off the album, followed by "Inside Out," which will hopefully be #5 if she releases a fifth.
    "Criminal" clearly won the Facebook poll so I'm not too surprised/disappointed, but I was still hoping it would have been "Inside Out"! Oh well, hopefully "Criminal" will chart decently. Something like "Inside Out" or "Trouble For Me" would have had a much better shot of being a hit, though. Not sure how mainstream radio will react to the flute melody...

Quote Originally Posted by The 4th KIRA View Post
    And I do like Someone Like You, but I don't think it's as good as Rolling In The Deep. I'm kind of surprised that Adele's performance has boosted sales of the song by this much, but I guess people were moved by it.
    "Love On Top" is close to cracking the Top 5 on the iTunes chart. Not because it has a video, not because it's on the radio, not because it's a single. Because Beyonce performed it on the VMAs. Never underestimate the power of the VMAs when it comes to digital sales. The fact that "Someone Like You" is Adele's newest US single just helps things even more.

Unrelatedly, if Kylie Minogue doesn't release "Everything Is Beautiful" as a single I will be depressed. It is one of my favorite songs ever and it is just amazing. "Aphrodite" needs to be a single as well.
    Considering Aphrodite's singles have been failing ever since "Get Outta My Way" didn't manage to chart within the Top 10 in the UK, I strongly doubt it. Though if she were to release another single it should be "Aphrodite" or "Cupid Boy".

10 years ago... 4 amazing artists came together to deliver the remake of a great classic and brought it to even bigger heights.

Mya, P!nk, Lil Kim', and Christina Aguilera topped charts and sold records with an amazing remake of "Lady Marmalade".

These 4 girls did an amazing job... but now, they are NOT the ones on top of the game.
    Say a new song was to be remade and 4 new female artists were to band together to deliver the beauty of classic. Who would your 4 female artists be?

Mine would def. come down to...

-Rihanna
    -Katy Perry
    -Nicki Minaj
    -Lady Gaga
    Pokemon Journals
    Kanto Region:complete
    Johto Region:in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Nyter09 View Post
    Who would your 4 female artists be?
    Nicki Minaj x4.

- Lil Mama
    - Heidi Montag
    - Kim Kardashian
    - Tila Tequila

Pure talent, right there!

Quote Originally Posted by Aviere View Post
    Well aren't you just one big contradiction. I can't wait for the Grammys!~ ♥♥
    Is contradiction the right word to use there? I don't understand.
    And I wouldn't count your chickens just yet :P

Probably:
    -Lindsay Lohan
    -Justine Bieber
    -Rebecca Black
    -Luna Lovegood

I'd have to say in seriousness, then four from this era would be Rihanna, Nicki, Britney and Katy.
    Gaga's not cohesive enough to go with them, since her demographic is no longer pop exclusive.
    Running for the thrill of it

Quote Originally Posted by Geekachu View Post
    Is contradiction the right word to use there? I don't understand.
    conˇtraˇdicˇtion
    noun /ˌkäntrəˈdikSHən/

2. A person, thing, or situation in which inconsistent elements are present

To say you "hate every Adele song" and thereafter state that the "only one I love" - bolded and capitalized! - is a contradiction by both definition and the common understanding of the term.

And I wouldn't count your chickens just yet :P
    You're kidding yourself if you think Adele isn't going to own the Grammys. :] She is the type of artist the Recording Academy voters love to shower with awards.

Say a new song was to be remade and 4 new female artists were to band together to deliver the beauty of classic. Who would your 4 female artists be?
    - Jessie J
    - Ke$ha
    - Nicki Minaj
    - Rihanna

I don't really like Rihanna to be honest, but she's still better than some of the other pop artists out there. Had this question been asked a few years back, I would have included Lady Gaga, but now I can't see her working with any of these artists since her brand of pop music is a bit different.
    Last edited by Lorde; 30th August 2011 at 8:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviere View Post
    To say you "hate every Adele song" and thereafter state that the "only one I love" - bolded and capitalized! - is a contradiction by both definition and the common understanding of the term.
    Oh right, it was just a generalisation anyway.

You're kidding yourself if you think Adele isn't going to own the Grammys. :] She is the type of artist the Recording Academy voters love to shower with awards.
    Ikr, but that's because it's filled with the judgemental buffoonery that's cast around a lot these days, where the genre of the artist, and not the artist is judged.

But even still, any two of Kanye's albums could easily snatch that Grammy off Adele.

The VMAs were actully good compared to last year. 2010 sucked even with Chelsea Handler as host. The only thing I didn't really liked was the Nicki Minaj/Jonah Hill intro...it's obvious these are scripted moments....but they didn't even put effort into making it look real. Loved Adele's performance. Gaga's was ok...I just don't like You and I.

The Britney tribute was pretty good, but far too short and far too fast. Seriously, they ruined the Oops dance by dancing too fast. I'm so proud the Brit won Best Pop Video. I love how Adele was smiling for Britney but not Gaga lol I'm sort of excited for Criminal as next FF single (although would have preferred Gasoline or Trouble for Me). Criminal was picked by fans but I doubt it will chart well. Fans also picked If U Seek Amy and it only went to #19.

Speaking of....Justin Bieber is such a twit...he didn't cheer or clap for anyone other than Selena when she presented.

and omfg these are the worst VMA ever.
    You clearly missed 2004, 2007, and 2010.

the performance was too akin to her one of Someone Like You at the BRITs. I appreciate how she kept it stripped down, but per-lease lady, be a little creative!
    Well it's not like most Americans have seen her BRIT Awards performance anyway.

I doubt she will even release another single. Kind of sad too. Aphrodite is one of Kylie's best albums IMO but the singles have kind of failed.
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

Quote Originally Posted by HoennMaster View Post
    I doubt she will even release another single. Kind of sad too. Aphrodite is one of Kylie's best albums IMO but the singles have kind of failed.
    Ironic that the Aphrodite singles are her worst-charting ever, since all four so far have hit #1 on the US Dance charts. That makes them her most successful since Fever's singles in the US.

I think that Kylie could even break back into the US market if she keeps going with her current sound.
    ミュウ

My 4 would be,

Nicki Minaj
    Beyonce
    Britney Spears
    Lady Gaga
    FRIEND CODE: Pokemon Y - 4399-0179-3036 (Willy)
    FRIEND SAFARI: ELECTRIC

Emolga - Helioptile - Manectric
    Bug Catcher Kreayshawn

My 4 would be,

Nicki Minaj
    Beyonce
    Britney Spears
    Lady Gaga
    Take out those bottom three and add Katy Perry, Adele, and Kimberly Perry.

That's my top 4.

Ikr, but that's because it's filled with the judgemental buffoonery that's cast around a lot these days, where the genre of the artist, and not the artist is judged.
    So you're saying that Adele doesn't deserve to dominate the Grammys, despite her worldwide success on the charts, and the fact that she's really breaking the mould so to speak in being an honest woman not trying to glamour herself up in order to make money, but by making quality songs?
    Hmmm, this is tough.
    ~Jessie J
    ~Ke$ha
    ~Taylor Swift
    ~Britney Spears
    Shoot me for not including Mother Monster or Nicki Minaj. I adore Jessie J's voice; it's so different and soulful, and I think it would go really well alongside Britney. I originally had Lady Gaga instead of Ke$ha in that second spot but I decided to opt for Ke$ha. And Taylor Swift because she's absolutely incredible and I can't not be biased. :P

Little newsflash: "Someone Like You" is outselling the number 2 song, "Pumped Up Kicks", at a rate of 3:2. This means it could approach 300,000 in digital sales this week, probably enough to put it at #1 on the Hot 100 with it's rising radio AirPlay. Definitely expect a top 3 position for it, at the very least.

My 4 would probably be:
    Lady Gaga
    Adele
    Nicki Minaj
    Katy Perry
    ミュウ

Quote Originally Posted by HoennMaster View Post
    Well it's not like most Americans have seen her BRIT Awards performance anyway.
    That doesn't account for her being lazy and reusing a performance. I appreciate that she's not in white leotards smothering herself in blood to add theatricality, but still, she could've at least done something a little different.

Quote Originally Posted by zhanton View Post
    So you're saying that Adele doesn't deserve to dominate the Grammys, despite her worldwide success on the charts, and the fact that she's really breaking the mould so to speak in being an honest woman not trying to glamour herself up in order to make money, but by making quality songs?
    Not at all. I'm just commenting on how these days too many people judge the genre and the artist. I don't deny that Adele makes 'good' music, however I feel that a lot of appreciation is derived from 'ooh, she no use synthethsisers, she good'. I mean, imagine how much less hate Gaga would recieve if she'd forged a career based on her origins of glam rock, and not pop?

I'm not criticizing Adele at all, I'm moreso criticizing the industry. Awards should be based on what the music does for the genre, and not the genre itself. In that case, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy should runaway (ohoho) with the Grammy, but considering how the award voters think, it's probably got 21 written on it anyway.

Then again, I do think that Kanye's albums could snatch that award. Not many foresaw Arcade Fire taking it last year.

That doesn't account for her being lazy and reusing a performance. I appreciate that she's not in white leotards smothering herself in blood to add theatricality, but still, she could've at least done something a little different.

Not at all. I'm just commenting on how these days too many people judge the genre and the artist. I don't deny that Adele makes 'good' music, however I feel that a lot of appreciation is derived from 'ooh, she no use synthethsisers, she good'. I mean, imagine how much less hate Gaga would recieve if she'd forged a career based on her origins of glam rock, and not pop?

I'm not criticizing Adele at all, I'm moreso criticizing the industry. Awards should be based on what the music does for the genre, and not the genre itself. In that case, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy should runaway (ohoho) with the Grammy, but considering how the award voters think, it's probably got 21 written on it anyway.

Then again, I do think that Kanye's albums could snatch that award. Not many foresaw Arcade Fire taking it last year.
    Arcade Fire were very little-known to those who listened to commercial stations as the only radio station that play their music in Australia is triple j.

I sort of think Adele may not win the top honors, I just hate her voice and that she is a chart-topper. Ballads are not essential No.1 music, to me dance is.

I'm loving Kelly Clarkson's new single. Nothing groundbreaking but definitely a good song.

Numerous artists reuse the same performances for the same songs. It's nothing new and it doesn't make her lazy.
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxWithinAParadox View Post
    Take out those bottom three and add Katy Perry, Adele, and Kimberly Perry.

That's my top 4.
    I don't think Adele would work well with artists like Katy Perry and Nicki Minaj. Adele's style is just too different from those of Katy and Nicki, so their collaboration would be a hot mess. That's just my opinion, though.

Quote Originally Posted by zhanton View Post
    Hmmm, this is tough.
    ~Jessie J
    ~Ke$ha
    ~Taylor Swift
    ~Britney Spears
    Shoot me for not including Mother Monster or Nicki Minaj. I adore Jessie J's voice; it's so different and soulful, and I think it would go really well alongside Britney. I originally had Lady Gaga instead of Ke$ha in that second spot but I decided to opt for Ke$ha. And Taylor Swift because she's absolutely incredible and I can't not be biased. :P
    I would've added Britney to my list, but since we were talking about recent female pop artists, I thought against it. I think she'd work perfectly with artists like Jessie J, though.

I just think it's funny how Adele can get away with recycling performances, while the media tears other artists apart when they do the same. Oh, the hypocrisy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikari10Girl View Post
    I just hate her voice and that she is a chart-topper. Ballads are not essential No.1 music, to me dance is.
    By this standard, you dislike pretty much everyone we discuss in this thread because they are a "chart topper". You make no sense; music is music - just because a ballad resonates with a vast amount of people does not mean it is undeserving of a number one spot. It's very rare to have a ballad - especially one of the sort of "Someone Like You" - to get anywhere near the peak of the Hot 100 in this day and age of both shallow music and music listeners, so if anything, that makes it all the more special.

Quote Originally Posted by The 4th KIRA View Post
    I just think it's funny how Adele can get away with recycling performances, while the media tears other artists apart when they do the same. Oh, the hypocrisy.
    When you're singing nearly a cappella with a voice like hers, who are we to criticize? It's hypocritical, but let's be honest here, hardly anyone in the music industry can do what she does. Recycling a performance as impactful as the one we saw Sunday isn't cheap or "lazy", it's appropriate, it's smart. There is no other manner in which she could have performed "Someone Like You" that would have been any better.

However, when your main selling point live is your stage performance, the production, the choreography - that is, most Pop stars' these days, including Britney, Ke$ha, Rihanna, Katy - hell yeah, you should be criticized for recycling. None of those women can hold a candle to Adele live, fans know that, so they expect compensation in the ways the stars can manage.

As for this weird mock-up list of another re-hash of "Lady Marmalade", I suppose I'll bite. You have to come up with a list of women that have mad vocal chops for this song, so:

Beyoncé
    Nicki Minaj
    Jessie J
    Leona Lewis

Jessie and Leona are odd-ball picks, but Jessie has incredible vocal prowess, and her skillful, fun vocal tricks seen in her live performances would fit great here. Leona's range, specifically her high notes, bring a much needed break from the general deeper, soulful vibe we get from Beyoncé and Jessie. I almost went with Britney Spears over Leona, and she'd probably be a better fit if there was no live performance involved. For Nicki, I'd have her rapping in one of her high pitched alters, Barbie (?) I believe.

Speaking of Leona Lewis, her new album is titled Glass Heart and it is coming out late November. She also released the video for Collide. I really like it.
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

Page 102 of 334 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112152202 ... LastLast