Page 113 of 334 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163213 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,825 of 8345

Thread: Pop Music Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Terrakion View Post
    Also, there's still too much Gaga in the thread. @_@ And I'm saying that as her biggest fan here.
    Maybe you missed my post in the Pop Music thread toilet about the Gaga craze in this thread, but yes, it's out of hand. I only broke the rule this time around because I feel that the column Gaga published in V Magazine was an interestingly bizarre thought that applies to critics in general, something we occasionally discuss in here (critically vs. commercially successful). Otherwise, I have no current to desire to discuss anything else Gaga.

The stuff mostly irrelevant and doesn't deserve mention is the minor possibility that an unknown German station mentioned "Government Hooker" as a single; we all know that "You and I" was just recently released. That and the stupid "fashion" videos that I described in my aforementioned post.

Aaaaand everyone's talking about Gaga again.
    There have been a lot of Lady Gaga-related discussions in this thread recently, but you make it sound like it's a bad thing. If someone isn't in the mood to discuss Lady Gaga, then they can change the subject to something else. And as for the rumor that Government Hooker is going to be released soon in Europe: I actually want it to be true. I can't see You and I doing well there, so Gaga might as well release something that's a little more club-friendly. Those types of songs usually do well in Europe.
    Last edited by Lorde; 12th September 2011 at 4:05 AM.

I'll admit that Gaga is my favourite artist to talk about in this thread, simply because she's my favourite pop artist and a lot of her actions are worthy of talk. If somebody's talking about Gaga, I'll certainly jump into the conversation and not want to change the subject, but if the subject's been changed, I'll join that conversation too.

I think the problem is we end up talking about Gaga simply because from about Saturday to Tuesday, we don't have much to talk about. Wednesday the Top 10s are revealed and Thursday/Friday are discussions of the actual Hot 100 of the week. After that, especially on a week where nothing new is happening in the music industry, the only alternative to talking about Gaga is randomly bringing up some European artist only a quarter of the people in this thread have heard of, or not discussing anything in this thread at all. Talking about Gaga is a subject where we can ensure pretty much everybody is part of the discussion, so if you ask me, I don't see a problem with it.

Also, does anybody else find it hypocritical that the people who are complaining that there's too much Gaga talk in this thread are creating even MORE Gaga talk by complaining?
    YOU JUST LOST THE GAME

Quote Originally Posted by KickAsh View Post
    Guess what Gallade did last night? I don't know. Maybe he was at the bar, having a few drinks with his bros because even though he is so awesome he is also agreeable and a normal guy, just like you and me. Maybe he was with a woman. Maybe he was drag racing HORSES, which is a sport he invented. You know what else Gallade invented? The lightbulb.
    AND LIFE ITSELF.

Gallade.

well, unrelated to Gaga, Nicola's album comes out in two weeks. So I mean, that's cool right? Considering how much better it'll be than BTW :3

twittertumblrlast.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnoh Champion View Post
    Also, does anybody else find it hypocritical that the people who are complaining that there's too much Gaga talk in this thread are creating even MORE Gaga talk by complaining?
    If you honestly think that a problem like this is going to be resolved without addressing it, you're delusional. In case you haven't noticed, people try switching topics, but in a few posts, it always comes back to Gaga. Whether it be relevant (charts, singles), or that she stepped outside, it always goes back to her. It's stupid to suggest that we're the ones creating the problem by mentioning her.

I mean, it's a Pop music thread, not a Gaga Twitter feed, people.

As for Nicola's album, I cannot wait.

For me, the two most relevant artists to me right now are Patrick Wolf and Sophie Ellis-Bextor. Those are the two artists I'm listening to most lately. I'm already bored of Born This Way tbh, it didn't have the lasting power I'd hoped it would. It was just like TF or TFM, amazing when it came out, stale a few months later. So that's why I'm tired of Gaga getting talked about, she's not relevant to me right now. I find it hard to believe I'm the only one who feels this way.

We need to recommend other artists, talk about what ever else we're listening to that applies to "pop." I went first. Sophie and Patrick. Who are you all listening to that's not Gaga?
    Last edited by Chris-kun; 12th September 2011 at 3:32 AM.

twittertumblrlast.fm

Mm, good idea! I've been listening to a lot of Lykke Li, LIGHTS, and Katy B recently.

Oh, I liked a few of Lights songs, particularly Savior and Pretend (reprise).

I tried Lykke Li but I really couldn't get into her x-x I just... didn't like her voice. I do liek I Follow Rivers or whatever that track is called though

Always meant to try Katy B too... Does she have an album out that's worth downloading?

twittertumblrlast.fm

There's nothing wrong with complaining, so long as you have a solid platform. And to be quite honest, I don't think the Lady Gaga talk is really the problem here. I think the real problem here is the disrespect that certain members get when they bring up certain artists. I've seen it happen when people talk about Bruno Mars and Rihanna, and now it looks like it's happening whenever someone talks about Lady Gaga. I admit that I've also said some mean things to people regarding other artists, but from now on, I'm going to try and be more tolerant of other people's musical tastes.

As for the idea of suggesting other artists: I like it. I usually only listen to mainstream pop, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to listen to some other artists.

And my current pop obsession is Madonna. I've been listening to all her albums, and I really love what she's done. I've never considered myself to be a hardcore Madonna fan, but I may just become one soon.

Currently listening to Bon Iver. I only listen to them in special occasions because I find myself depressed when I listen to them but it is that kind of emotion that I get from their music what makes me like them.

Perth is AMAZING.

Quote Originally Posted by The 4th KIRA View Post
    And my current pop obsession is Madonna. I've been listening to all her albums, and I really love what she's done. I've never considered myself to be a hardcore Madonna fan, but I may just become one soon.
    This. This so much.

I couldn't tell you how many times I've listened to "Dress You Up" recently. Or the whole Confessions On A Dance Floor album. Id say it's one of the best pop albums in recent history. Madonna's discography is so extensive that everyone in this thread is sure to like something she's done.
    ミュウ

I do have a soft spot for Madonna. Though, I would rather listen to Celebration than any of her individual albums.

twittertumblrlast.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Geekachu View Post
    Anyway, I just thought I'd draw your attention to this. It's another song from Natalia Kills. Anyway, I came across this video today. It's got nice direction, it's quite weird in some parts, but something was intriguing. I'm not sure whether I like or not, but I feel I'd like it a lot more if Will.I.Am wasn't on it.
    To be honest that song is the first and so far only thing from Natalia Kills that has caught my attention. The intrumental is just amazen.

Quote Originally Posted by TurtwigFan1 View Post
    I think One Direction's What Makes You Beautiful will be number one next week though.
    That song is actually growing on me REALLY fast. And a couple of those boys are quite cute. Cue Geekachu bitch slapping me.

I think the problem is we end up talking about Gaga simply because from about Saturday to Tuesday, we don't have much to talk about.
    Umm...maybe you don't have anything to talk about but GaGa between those times, but it isn't like this is the Bluegrass music Thread. This is a Thread dedicated to pop music, and there's a myriad of artists and groups to choose from in the pop genre contemporary or otherwise.

I hate when people eschew popular things simply because they're popular. We're not hipsters. We just need to find a nice balance between discussing GaGa and, well, EVERYONE ELSE.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris-kun View Post
    well, unrelated to Gaga, Nicola's album comes out in two weeks. So I mean, that's cool right? Considering how much better it'll be than BTW :3
    PREACH. PREACH. PREACH.
    And an album-sampler is given to those who pre-ordered "Lucky Day", so when that's released we'll get a little taste of what's to come!

As for suggesting new music, has anyone here heard of Mini Viva? They released three great singles before they were dropped by their label. But some of their work leaked anyways and it's pretty damn good. "Say What You Feel" and "I'm Hooked" are just lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by .Bambi. View Post

That song is actually growing on me REALLY fast. And a couple of those boys are quite cute. Cue Geekachu bitch slapping me.
    One Direction are all flawless human beings~

And at the moment, I'm mostly listening to K-Pop, Britney Spears and Avril Lavigne (pop-wise). I'm seeing Avril live the week after next, very excited

I also really like LIGHTS, Second Go is definitely my favourite. Her new album, Siberia, is out October 4th so I'm pretty excited for that.
    this hope is treacherous, this daydream is dangerous.
    ~I've claimed Turtwig~

Ooh, interesting bit: Rihanna is collaborating with Coldplay on a track from their upcoming album, Mylo Xyloto, to be released on October 24th. I'm not a huge Rihanna fan at the moment, as many of you know, but if anyone can bring something creative and interesting out of Rihanna, it might just be Coldplay.

edit: Good bit of Rihanna news today, it seems - she's going to be a guest judge for L.A. Reid on The X Factor USA sometime this fall. That'll getcha viewers...

Also, their new single, "Paradise", is incredible. I did not expect this.
    Last edited by Aviere; 12th September 2011 at 6:51 PM.

For some reason or other I've never been the biggest Coldplay fan. They do have some good songs that are very enjoyable, but I've never felt the need to download one of their albums. Their songs often sound a bit samey to me, and occasionally can be quite boring. But a Coldplay/Rihanna collaboration is totally random and unexpected. I'll definitely have to check it out.

Paradise is quite good as well, better than Every Teardrop is a Waterfall or whatever it was called.
    ~I've claimed Turtwig~

For some reason or other I've never been the biggest Coldplay fan. They do have some good songs that are very enjoyable, but I've never felt the need to download one of their albums. Their songs often sound a bit samey to me, and occasionally can be quite boring. But a Coldplay/Rihanna collaboration is totally random and unexpected. I'll definitely have to check it out.

Paradise is quite good as well, better than Every Teardrop is a Waterfall or whatever it was called.
    Coldplay is arguably my favorite band, tied with Paramore, I think. Paramore defined my teenage years, but Coldplay has always blown me away.

As for "Paradise" vs. "Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall", yeah, I much prefer "Paradise". It might be the occasional strings (I'm addicted to the violin), but I think more likely it is that the hook is so simple and INSANELY CATCHY.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviere View Post
    Coldplay is arguably my favorite band, tied with Paramore, I think. Paramore defined my teenage years, but Coldplay has always blown me away.

As for "Paradise" vs. "Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall", yeah, I much prefer "Paradise". It might be the occasional strings (I'm addicted to the violin), but I think more likely it is that the hook is so simple and INSANELY CATCHY.
    Paramore really need to get their new album out, I'm losing interest in them quite quickly. I still very much like them, but I'm not as interested as I once was.

I also adore hearing strings in songs (especially the violin!). I actually used to play the violin (I wasn't very good though). AND IT IS. I very much like catchy songs that have me singing them all day. I think Paradise should do fairly well on the charts, and if it doesn't I'll be disappointed.
    ~I've claimed Turtwig~

Agree with your previous post Aviere, about the column and all that.
    We agree... Too much e_o

Quote Originally Posted by The 4th KIRA View Post
    There have been a lot of Lady Gaga-related discussions in this thread recently, but you make it sound like it's a bad thing.
    I have noticed the growing hate parade for Gaga. I don't think that attention is something that should be resented, and someone's a bit shallow if they ride that sentiment.

Considering how much better it'll be than BTW :3
    I'll take you up on that statement. I shall be listening intently.
    And this is by no means me proclaiming BTW's perfect, it's far from it.

We need to recommend other artists, talk about what ever else we're listening to that applies to "pop." I went first. Sophie and Patrick. Who are you all listening to that's not Gaga?
    I've already said that Patrick's kind of like some mundane Bowie homage, and Sophie, yeah, she's alright, but a lot of her tracks are nice- but just nice. Yanoo?

Mm, good idea! I've been listening to a lot of Lykke Li, LIGHTS, and Katy B recently.
    I remembering hearing a song by Lights, thinking it was absolute rubbish and never having interest in whatever Lights is (she, group?) Katy B's alright. I've never liked much of her recorded stuff, but I remember she did a live session of Broken Record. It was really jazzy, really good.

And I'll have to learn up on that other Lykke Ikee Ykyeekkey or whatever

Madonna's discography is so extensive that everyone in this thread is sure to like something she's done.
    Her music's never appealed to me. But I agree, since one day of me searching I found the tracks Frozen and Revolver, the latter being actually awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by .Bambi. View Post
    To be honest that song is the first and so far only thing from Natalia Kills that has caught my attention. The intrumental is just amazen.
    I like the song, just hate how Will.I.Am was on it. Didn't really like the video either.

Lol, that song where it begins with a riff from Grease, followed by lyrics penned by businessmen? Yes, businessmen. Because do you know what that song is? It's a typical example of a Bruno Mars- a corporal love letter that's solely directed at their female audience by saying how 'beautiful' and 'special' they are. In essence, a song that could achieve nothing on musical merits, hence why they wrote those tepid lyrics and ripped a Grease backing track to turn it into a 'song'. Yeah, they'll dig this ****. See what I did there?

And on the subject of Syco's puppets, lol at Matt Cardle's Snow Patrol ripp off.

As for suggesting new music, has anyone here heard of Mini Viva? They released three great singles before they were dropped by their label. But some of their work leaked anyways and it's pretty damn good. "Say What You Feel" and "I'm Hooked" are just lovely.
    I remember them. Their first single sucked, second one was alright, and I think their planned third one was quite good. I can't remember what it was called. But let's be honest, since when are many duo's going to work?

One Direction are all flawless human beings~
    I like that joke too.

Ooh, interesting bit: Rihanna is collaborating with Coldplay on a track from their upcoming album, Mylo Xyloto, to be released on October 24th. I'm not a huge Rihanna fan at the moment, as many of you know, but if anyone can bring something creative and interesting out of Rihanna, it might just be Coldplay.
    Even I don't want Rihanna to ruin such mundane people like Coldplay. I'll give it to them that they're good musically, but they're a bit too boring for my tastes.
    Running for the thrill of it

Agree with your previous post Aviere, about the column and all that.
    We agree... Too much e_o
    ;D

Even I don't want Rihanna to ruin such mundane people like Coldplay. I'll give it to them that they're good musically, but they're a bit too boring for my tastes.
    I challenge you to take a listen to Mylo Xyloto when it releases in late October! From what I can gather, this album will be anything but boring.

I challenge you to take a listen to Mylo Xyloto when it releases in late October! From what I can gather, this album will be anything but boring.
    I thought that from what I heard from Viva La Vida, it was quite mundane. Musically- good, but pretty boring.

But I must concur that I'm sort of anticipating Mylo Xyloto greatly at the moment, I've now been listening to Paradise for the last half hour. What is that? I'm pretty sure it's the best song I've heard of 2011. It reminded me of Undisclosed Desires by Muse, but so much more euphoric and just amazing. It's amazing. Seriously amazing.

EVERYONE NEEDS TO LISTEN TO THIS
    And if you don't think it's good, you're obviously an inferior human being

I thought that from what I heard from Viva La Vida, it was quite mundane. Musically- good, but pretty boring.

But I must concur that I'm sort of anticipating Mylo Xyloto greatly at the moment, I've now been listening to Paradise for the last half hour. What is that? I'm pretty sure it's the best song I've heard of 2011. It reminded me of Undisclosed Desires by Muse, but so much more euphoric and just amazing. It's amazing. Seriously amazing.

EVERYONE NEEDS TO LISTEN TO THIS
    And if you don't think it's good, you're obviously an inferior human being
    Ah, I loved "Undisclosed Desires"! I used to listen to Muse a ton, I still do, not as frequently though. I agree, one of the best songs I've heard this year. It's so incredibly euphoric, you're right. Glad you like. :] Nice attention grab to the song, by the way. ^^;

I've already said that Patrick's kind of like some mundane Bowie homage, and Sophie, yeah, she's alright, but a lot of her tracks are nice- but just nice. Yanoo?
    :toofunny: A "mundane Bowie homage", but Gaga is unique and original? I cannot

twittertumblrlast.fm

I know what you're insinuating, but I really fail to see your point. Come out with it!

Chris-kun I'm failing to understand why you keep comparing random artists to Lady Gaga, while at the same time you insist that the thread needs to stop talking about Gaga so much. Kind of counter-intuitive.

Sophie Ellis-Bextor is alright. I actually downloaded her album because I saw you rave about her. It was good, but there was really nothing memorable about it. I'll give her album a listen on a whim every now and then, but after that I just forget about her for a while.

Really liked Paradise, which is surprising since I'm not usually a fan of Coldplay. I might even give their next album a chance.

Also anticipating Nicola's album. Have to be honest, I hated her songs at first. But then they got stuck in my head. Then I started humming them. And now I'm a fan.
    Last edited by Lbsweet96; 12th September 2011 at 10:53 PM.

Page 113 of 334 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163213 ... LastLast