Page 298 of 334 FirstFirst ... 198248288294295296297298299300301302308 ... LastLast
Results 7,426 to 7,450 of 8345

Thread: Pop Music Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Terrakion View Post
    She did seem to lose a bit of power in Europe this era.
    The odd thing about that is, Femme Fatale was arguably her most successful overall in the US. Sure she's not everywhere like she was in the late 90s and early 2000s, but she's bigger now on radio than ever before. All three initial singles were her biggest radio hits to date, with only "(You Drive Me) Crazy" and "Womanizer" having tied even the lowest-peaking of those three. Criminal didn't break out, but that was to be expected from her first era to ever produce three top tens. Image for reference:

[IMG]http://i46.*******.com/168ak3n.png[/IMG]
    Thanks for that graph, very useful for reference.

Yeah, this is what has confused me. Her singles have normally done extremely well in the UK whereas in the States it's usually her albums that sell better. But now the tides seem to have turned and she's selling less albums but a lot more singles. And then you get to the UK and she's selling neither. Femme Fatale was definitely a successful era for Britney, though. The album sales weren't the best but the performance of the first three singles was amazing and definitely brought her back to the public eye. I'm hoping for great things from her 8th album.
    nothing lasts forever, but this is getting good now.
    ~I've claimed Turtwig~

Quote Originally Posted by TurtwigFan1 View Post
    Thanks for that graph, very useful for reference.

Yeah, this is what has confused me. Her singles have normally done extremely well in the UK whereas in the States it's usually her albums that sell better. But now the tides seem to have turned and she's selling less albums but a lot more singles. And then you get to the UK and she's selling neither. Femme Fatale was definitely a successful era for Britney, though. The album sales weren't the best but the performance of the first three singles was amazing and definitely brought her back to the public eye. I'm hoping for great things from her 8th album.
    I think her next album will do a bit better in sales, especially if she starts some promo near the end of the X Factor season. Circus only did as well as it did from the fact that it was just after all her personal issues whereas Blackout was during them. After her breakdown it was sort of considered her comeback, though it did feel a little sudden to me. I think Femme Fatale served as her real comeback in the US, where Europe accepted Circus more as a comeback album, thus affecting how this past era performed. FF's singles launched her right up there with Gaga as one of the major players on US radio, though still less powerful there than Katy or Rihanna.

Europe seems to have been a weaker market for all the major pop stars recently, which makes me think that the market there is changing faster than it is here. Aside from Gotye and fun., everything doing well on the US charts right now is your standard Top 40 material, the same as its been from 2009 on.
    ミュウ

Quote Originally Posted by FlutterDash View Post
    She is having a break from music this year so she can do more movies
    I'm kind of glad that she's going to take a well-deserved break after the "Talk That Talk" era, but I'm a bit surprised that she wants to work on more movies; didn't Battleship flop?

And whoever keeps changing the thread title is a genius; it's like I'm back on ATRL.

Thanks Kira, your moronic comments are now in the title.

I think Femme Fatale served as her real comeback in the US, where Europe accepted Circus more as a comeback album, thus affecting how this past era performed.
    I wouldn't say that really. The Circus tour was a smashing success in North America. All 61 North American concerts were sold out. That on-top of a record breaking Number one single and her first top 10 debut.
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

I just watched the MDNA tour on yt, and it was really better than I expected. I just wished she would've changed the finale from Celebration to Turn Up the Radio.

Quote Originally Posted by HoennMaster View Post
    Thanks Kira, your moronic comments are now in the title.
    Oh stop, you're making me blush.~

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    I just watched the MDNA tour on yt, and it was really better than I expected. I just wished she would've changed the finale from Celebration to Turn Up the Radio.
    I finished watching the performances a few hours ago. I was kind of disappointed though. I was expecting something more extravagant like her previous tour. I was also put out by the setlist; I thought she put more emphasis on her older songs than on those featured on "Mdna."

The MTV Movie Awards were going on tonight (and before last week, I didn't even know that these awards even existed) and apparently fun. performed. Because of that, "We Are Young" went from being #9 on iTunes sometime this morning to currently being #6 on iTunes. I love the song, but I think it's really time for it to step down. "Some Nights" - which I prefer to WAY - is sitting down at #44 and it really deserves to do well, but WAY has to leave for that to happen. Hopefully the music video release tomorrow will generate a surge of sales.

Speaking of a surge of a sales, a TV special about Adele aired tonight, so all of her singles are going up, and Rolling in the Deep is somehow back to being in the iTunes 40s. This is also causing 21 to gain some last minute sales, which means there's a small chance that it may earn its 24th week at #1 (or is it 25th? I've honestly lost count). Even when her newest single is flopping by her standards, Adele still manages to be on top of the world.
    YOU JUST LOST THE GAME

Quote Originally Posted by KickAsh View Post
    Guess what Gallade did last night? I don't know. Maybe he was at the bar, having a few drinks with his bros because even though he is so awesome he is also agreeable and a normal guy, just like you and me. Maybe he was with a woman. Maybe he was drag racing HORSES, which is a sport he invented. You know what else Gallade invented? The lightbulb.
    AND LIFE ITSELF.

Gallade.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Conversation View Post
    Speaking of a surge of a sales, a TV special about Adele aired tonight, so all of her singles are going up, and Rolling in the Deep is somehow back to being in the iTunes 40s. This is also causing 21 to gain some last minute sales, which means there's a small chance that it may earn its 24th week at #1 (or is it 25th? I've honestly lost count). Even when her newest single is flopping by her standards, Adele still manages to be on top of the world.
    It'll be her 24th if she gets it, though I'm expecting it more next week than this week. She has a bit of competition next week but with Adele, who the hell knows? She's basically the Goddess of the Charts.
    ミュウ

According to BBC, Born To Die is the UKs best-selling digital album of 2012 and second overall (Darn you, Adele!). x

And during her most recent interview, she gives a beautiful performance of Born To Die, Carmen, Video Games, and Blue Jeans live. x
    W E D O N T N E E D T O T O U C H J U S T
    B R E A T H E

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Conversation View Post
    Adele still manages to be on top of the world.
    Top of the US albums chart =/= top of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by BOMBS View Post
    And during her most recent interview, she gives a beautiful performance of Born To Die, Carmen, Video Games, and Blue Jeans live. x
    So she essentially performed all her singles. Great. I'm glad she's performing more; this is the kind of thing that all artists should be doing instead of engaging in payola, last-minute remixes and discounts. And I feel bad for saying this, but I still haven't purchased the "Born to Die" deluxe edition tracks; I better do that right away.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. The US charts are known worldwide as the hardest charts to break into when your new or early in your career so Adele doing well over here is like being on top of the world.
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

Europe seems to have been a weaker market for all the major pop stars recently, which makes me think that the market there is changing faster than it is here. Aside from Gotye and fun., everything doing well on the US charts right now is your standard Top 40 material, the same as its been from 2009 on.
    You're saying this like the UK Top 40 isn't full of crap either

I wouldn't necessarily say that. The US charts are known worldwide as the hardest charts to break into when your new or early in your career so Adele doing well over here is like being on top of the world.
    On what basis has this statement been made? As far as I know practically every chart is equally as hard to be broken into by newcomers.
    Running for the thrill of it

Quote Originally Posted by The 4th Kira View Post
    So she essentially performed all her singles. Great. I'm glad she's performing more; this is the kind of thing that all artists should be doing instead of engaging in payola, last-minute remixes and discounts. And I feel bad for saying this, but I still haven't purchased the "Born to Die" deluxe edition tracks; I better do that right away.
    I bought the Deluxe Edition of Born To Die just for Lolita. Its my second favorite track off of her album (Off To The Races is my favorite). In fact, Lana sang Lolita last night in LA for her mini tour. (x)

She also preformed her newest singles, Summertime Sadness and National Anthem. (x) (x)

And heres a video of her premiering a brand-spankin-new song titled Body Electric! (x)
    W E D O N T N E E D T O T O U C H J U S T
    B R E A T H E

Top of the US albums chart =/= top of the world.
    Best selling album of the past 10 years worldwide and still top 5 in tons of countries = on top of the world.
    ミュウ

I finished watching the performances a few hours ago. I was kind of disappointed though. I was expecting something more extravagant like her previous tour. I was also put out by the setlist; I thought she put more emphasis on her older songs than on those featured on "Mdna."
    I didn't really think the Sticky & Sweet tour was that extravagant though... I think the performances that have leaked so far were a lot better and just more put together in general. And I was a little upset that she didn't put some of the best bits of MDNA on the setlist and I'm kinda afraid that she'll do what she did with s&s and by the second leg barely have any songs from the album the tour was supposed to support.

And the ***** didn't close the show with Turn Up The Radio. :|

Quote Originally Posted by Geekachu View Post
    On what basis has this statement been made? As far as I know practically every chart is equally as hard to be broken into by newcomers.
    By paying attention to pop culture. You will see in interviews, news, etc people talking about how difficult it can be to breakthrough in America.
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
    I didn't really think the Sticky & Sweet tour was that extravagant though... I think the performances that have leaked so far were a lot better and just more put together in general. And I was a little upset that she didn't put some of the best bits of MDNA on the setlist and I'm kinda afraid that she'll do what she did with s&s and by the second leg barely have any songs from the album the tour was supposed to support.

And the ***** didn't close the show with Turn Up The Radio. :|
    I'm happy she closed with "Celebration", it's a fun song and it sort of embodies her persona and legacy, though "Holiday" would have been more appropriate as a tour closer.

I really don't think that, to Madonna, this tour is really about supporting the album. Rather, I believe the album was used to promote the tour. She might not be the chartbuster she was in her prime, but she's turned into the biggest touring artist in the world, and she knows it. I think it's all more about keeping her at the top in some way, and the huge success of her last two tours seems to have presented touring as an opportunity worthy of her title and name. She could potentially gross over $700 million from this tour.
    ミュウ

Even so the setlist is fantastic. Revolver being performed is automatic win for me.
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

Quote Originally Posted by BOMBS View Post
    In fact, Lana sang Lolita last night in LA for her mini tour. (x)

She also preformed her newest singles, Summertime Sadness and National Anthem. (x) (x)

And heres a video of her premiering a brand-spankin-new song titled Body Electric! (x)
    Yay. She's slaying everywhere, and I couldn't be happier. She may finally get her first hit on the Billboard Hot 100 if she continues to promote the heck out of her singles.

Best selling album of the past 10 years worldwide and still top 5 in tons of countries = on top of the world.
    Since when do album sales determine if you're at the top of the pop music world? I just find it ironic that a Little Monster is preaching to me about album sales.

Since when do album sales determine if you're at the top of the pop music world? I just find it ironic that a Little Monster is preaching to me about album sales.
    Okay. Three worldwide smash hit singles + insane album sales + every damn award + huge media coverage = top of the world. Even though I don't consider Adele "pop" in the stylistic sense, but rather in the "popular" sense, she's at or very close to the top of the pop world.

And how's my "preaching" about album sales ironic because I'm a little monster? Last time I checked, Gaga was outselling everyone but Adele herself. Nicki and Lana, apparently your two faves, don't sell what Gaga does even when their numbers are combined and added to Britney Spears' and Madonna's sales. Katy, Beyoncé, and Rihanna can't match her either. I don't get your point.
    ミュウ

By paying attention to pop culture. You will see in interviews, news, etc people talking about how difficult it can be to breakthrough in America.
    That's because many people want to break into America because it's such a big market. I could probably see where you're coming from but I'm still not convinced- it takes a lot for any artist to break through.

She might not be the chartbuster she was in her prime, but she's turned into the biggest touring artist in the world, and she knows it. I think it's all more about keeping her at the top in some way
    Of course she does. At her core, Madonna's a businesswoman, and she knows how to keep herself in the spotlight and/or successful. Truth is, she needn't even release any more albums. They just exist as little titbits for her fans to purchase, because they certainly no longer serve an utterance to the musical artist Madonna was back in the 80's/90's, but she churns them out because they make money and she's a businesswoman. The reason for the lack of MDNA songs on the MDNA Tour is because, despite what the name suggests, Madonna is selling Madonna rather than MDNA. She's become some sort of pop-business enigma and that's where her strength lies, not in music any more

I also read that she had her 11 year-old son dancing on tour with her. Which was a bit... weird
    Running for the thrill of it

Quote Originally Posted by Chris-kun View Post
    Pretty enjoyable, its awesome all the way through. Only a handful of the songs standout on their own though. I need more time to digest it.
    I finally had a chance to listen to her album through and I agree it is a great listen through and through. Just the right album that I needed to hear right now.

Everyone should go listen to Paloma Faith Fall To Grace, you'll enjoy it.
    #BuyUltraviolance

Are we ever getting a video for Princess of china? :3
    Credit to Pika Pal Lyra

Quote Originally Posted by abrar14 View Post
    Are we ever getting a video for Princess of china? :3
    It was already released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Uw6ZkbsAH8

Okay. Three worldwide smash hit singles + insane album sales + every damn award + huge media coverage = top of the world. Even though I don't consider Adele "pop" in the stylistic sense, but rather in the "popular" sense, she's at or very close to the top of the pop world.
    I'd hate to burst your bubble, but Adele doesn't win every award she's nominated for. She's been in the game since 2007, yet she only has like 70 awards; Katy and Gaga have over 100 awards, and their careers started after Adele's. And what's this about media coverage? 'Cause I haven't heard anything important about her since the Grammys.

And how's my "preaching" about album sales ironic because I'm a little monster? Last time I checked, Gaga was outselling everyone but Adele herself. Nicki and Lana, apparently your two faves, don't sell what Gaga does even when their numbers are combined and added to Britney Spears' and Madonna's sales. Katy, Beyoncé, and Rihanna can't match her either. I don't get your point.
    Taking into account all the discounts that occurred during the "BTW" era, I don't think you should be proud of her numbers. Js.

Page 298 of 334 FirstFirst ... 198248288294295296297298299300301302308 ... LastLast