Page 52 of 334 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 8345

Thread: Pop Music Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GenosectArceus View Post
    It was still released as a single!
    So the music video may or may not come out.
    Firework came out as a ringtone for iTunes, and that wasn't a single! It still got a mv!
    As I said, it's a promotional single. If you don't believe me, then check out the various Lady Gaga sites out there. I'm not saying that it definitely won't get a music video. I'm just saying that unless it is released as an official single, you shouldn't get your hopes up too high. And FYI: Firework was an official single. It was also Katy's fourth number one single on the Billboard Hot 100.
    Last edited by Lorde; 11th June 2011 at 8:09 AM.

The only promo single Gaga made a video for was Beautiful Dirty Rich and that was just to promote her whens he was new.
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

Tinie Tempah is pretty good, with Written in the Stars.

It was still released as a single!
    So the music video may or may not come out.
    Firework came out as a ringtone for iTunes, and that wasn't a single! It still got a mv!
    No, it's a promotional single. It did not receive radio play or promotion, it was just released to give fans a taste of the album in advance. It's like Not Like The Movies and Circle The Drain from Teenage Dream. Both were promotional, iTunes singles, but neither were full singles.

The One That Got Away is totally a fall hit, it has fall hit written all over it. I really wish she'd release it as a single, but I know she wont

twittertumblrlast.fm

What is the difference between promotional and official singles?

Also, Hummingbird Heartbeat is a really good song. It's explicit, but again California Gurls was hinted with sexual references and so did Teenage Dream.

What is the difference between promotional and official singles?
    I said it in the post. A promotional single doesn't get radio promotion, nor does it get media promotion. It's just released to give fans a taste of the album

twittertumblrlast.fm

Also, Hummingbird Heartbeat is a really good song. It's explicit, but again California Gurls was hinted with sexual references and so did Teenage Dream.
    I liked Hummingbird Heartbeat, but it wasn't my favorite from Teenage Dream. And yeah, a couple of songs on the album contained sexual references, especially Peacock. That's how most pop music is these days. I've gotten used to it, though. It's no use trying to escape that sort of thing these days, so you gotta roll with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris-kun View Post
    I said it in the post. A promotional single doesn't get radio promotion, nor does it get media promotion. It's just released to give fans a taste of the album
    Sorry, I didn't see that.
    What promotional singles have certain artists released that have been made videos for?

Quote Originally Posted by The4thKira View Post
    I liked Hummingbird Heartbeat, but it wasn't my favorite from Teenage Dream. And yeah, a couple of songs on the album contained sexual references, especially Peacock. That's how most pop music is these days. I've gotten used to it, though. It's no use trying to escape that sort of stuff these days, so you gotta roll with it.
    I hated Peacock. I don't know how people would even like that song.
    I'm used to all the sex refs in music nowadays.
    Some old music had, like, a crapload of them and yet my mom is against mainstream, a category she listened 2 as a teen.
    Last edited by Blackjack the Titan; 12th June 2011 at 12:55 AM.

Sorry, I didn't see that.
    What promotional singles have certain artists released that have been made videos for?
    None, as promotional singles. At least not once the album is out and the album has an official single on the radio.

ET became an official single after being a promotional single. Hair may be a single and get a video later, but as of right now it's not one

twittertumblrlast.fm

The problem with modern popular music isn't that it has more explicit content, it's just that the content is more blunt and obvious. IE "I wanna take a ride on your disco stick" or "I wanna see your peacock-cock-cock."
    ミュウ

I thought Lady GaGa was pretty fresh back in early 2009, she really surprised me. But it started going downhill for me when the Telephone MV came out. She really lost it for me. Though I did thoroughly enjoy The Fame Monster far more than The Fame. A lot of great songs... just, really crappy music videos.

I don't know what she is trying to prove but she's insane really, and in a way that I can't connect with anymore. She went from like this super sexy chick paying homage to her love for music and the 80s to making "inspirational" songs and music videos about homosexuality or something? And then all that ridiculous religious imagery and stuff. I don't even...

Sorry GaGa, but Madonna did it 2 decades before you, you are not original anymore. Please go back to the way you were when you first debuted. You were already making good music then and you had a lovely image. Plus you weren't being overworked to death (have you seen how skinny she is now?)

Forever shaking my head.

Anyway, right now my current obsession is Korean Pop. I don't think this obsession will die down anytime soon.

My favorites are:

1. Girls' Generation - The Great Escape + Mr Taxi (Japanese) - Currently touring in Japan, just finished 2-day concert in Paris with fellow labelmates
    2. 2NE1 - Lonely - Releasing third Korean album soon, preparing to debut in America within a year or so
    3. Dal shabet - Pink Rocket - Preparing for third Korean album, may debut in Japan later this year or next year
    4. KARA - Lupin + Jumping - Currently most popular Korean girl group in Japan, recently released 4th Japanese single Go Go Summer!

Actually I have more but those are my top 4. Sunny Hill (in my sig) is slowly climbing up there too.
    Last edited by Nyokou; 12th June 2011 at 5:58 AM.

SunnyHill - Midnight Circus
    사랑받고 싶은 거짓말~

Quote Originally Posted by Nyokou View Post
    I thought Lady GaGa was pretty fresh back in early 2009, she really surprised me. But it started going downhill for me when the Telephone MV came out. She really lost it for me. Though I did thoroughly enjoy The Fame Monster far more than The Fame. A lot of great songs... just, really crappy music videos.

I don't know what she is trying to prove but she's insane really, and in a way that I can't connect with anymore. She went from like this super sexy chick paying homage to her love for music and the 80s to making "inspirational" songs and music videos about homosexuality or something? And then all that ridiculous religious imagery and stuff. I don't even...

Sorry GaGa, but Madonna did it 2 decades before you, you are not original anymore. Please go back to the way you were when you first debuted. You were already making good music then and you had a lovely image. Plus you weren't being overworked to death (have you seen how skinny she is now?)

Forever shaking my head.

Anyway, right now my current obsession is Korean Pop. I don't think this obsession will die down anytime soon.
    I have to agree with you. Gaga was cool back when she made her debut - I mean, who didn't jam to "Poker Face" and "Just Dance?" Fame Monster was a pretty good sophomore attempt, what with "Bad Romance" and "Telephone."

However, I am rather displeased with her latest attempt. The singles have gotten progressively better (forgive me, but "Born This Way" does sound like a Madonna knock-off) but it seems she's become most concerned about her image - which is ironic, because her image when she first stepped on the scene was "I don't care what my image is." Now she's worn every object imaginable on her boobs.

But no matter. I'll care about her again when she makes music I enjoy. For now, the group I care about most is Gym Class Heroes. Have you heard their new song with Adam Levine? Amazing!

I've heard of GCH from a lot of people (might have heard their songs before too) but I never really paid attention to them. They seem really good! This song with Adam Levine is great. ♥ It's refreshing to hear a bit of rapping that makes sense and isn't just a bunch of random words put together simply just to rhyme and sound good. -looks at Nicki Minaj-

And yes, I hope GaGa gets over this "phase" of hers. I want the old GaGa back. :/ I haven't even bothered to listen to her new album. I saw the preview of the music video for Judas and thought '...nope... don't even care anymore.'

사랑받고 싶은 거짓말~

And how is it a bad thing that she's taken her songs and put an inspirational theme to them? I, for one, and insanely happy she did this. I was alreaady a huge fan of her, but when she started focusing on mine and her other fans' rights and self-esteem, it was one of the best things that's happened in music for me. Did you know her song "Born This Way" is the first #1 song to have "gay" in its lyrics in a positive way? And the first one to have gay, straight, bi, lesbian, and transgendered in it?
    My point is that this is the only thing that has really changed, and it's a change for the better. I fail to see how one can no longer connect with this - there's only a few songs that explicitly mention LGBT issues, if that's the problem you have with it.

So Madonna (who happens to be my 3rd favorite artist, I have nothing against her) had techno- and synthpop-influenced songs with lyrics about being yourself and loving yourself, and multiple biblical figures? This comparison is just tiring now. Gaga was closer to a Madonna copy back in The Fame Monster days than she is now. The only times she's actually done anything remotely similar to Madonna are Born This Way's slight resemblence to Express Yourself (though the lyrics are very different), her message in general being similar to the quite lesser-known song Spotlight (which I love), and Alejandro being somewhat Spanish/Mexican influenced. Really, what else is similar at all? The fact that she's a strong female who bleaches her hair? The fact she performs pop music like a half-million other people before her? I fail to see how she is so close to Madonna. The LGBT community decided to accept them both individually, so that's not really a thing that applies. They both have big tours, but that happens for any really big artists.

Trust me, I miss the old Gaga a ton, but I love the new Gaga too.

EDIT: Wait, you just said you didn't even bother to listen to her new album, how are you judging her then anyway??
    Last edited by Retro Mew; 12th June 2011 at 6:05 AM.
    ミュウ

The world is frucking ending. I just heard "Friday" on the radio. It's okay, go ahead and nuke North Carolina so it doesn't spread to other stations.

oh yay Gaga bashing, what fun

Can we get over it please? Everyone makes the same complaints. She's doing what she wants to do, and frankly, I think it's a high improvement. The Fame is a piece of ****, and while The Fame Monster was amazing, it also got old really fast. She's using better metaphors and symbolism now than she ever has, shes evolved as an artist to actually be someone that says something, instead of someone who sings about banging dudes and getting drunk in a club. I respect that. If you don't respect that, I question your priorities in the world.

twittertumblrlast.fm

I think you're giving her way too much credit.

Born This Way is basically Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful" GaGa-fied. Heck, Christina may not even have been the first to sing about accepting people for who they are. And really, GaGa is not the savior of the LGBT community. I have nothing against them at all, I have tons of friends who are either gay, bisexual, lesbian, and heck, even transgender. None of them, to my knowledge, even like her. There are tons of people who have been advocating for the LGBT community for years and years yet they don't get the recognition they deserve. Who are these people? Well, they're just normal everyday people.

You don't need Lady GaGa to tell you to get up and fight for your rights, you are perfectly capable of doing that yourself. Anyone is really. And the United States is doing pretty damn well in terms of LGBT acceptance. There are people in other countries who are not so lucky though. It's pretty much a given in conservative countries such as Korea that you will lose your reputation if you come out of the closet. Or even countries in the Middle East where you will get hung in public or stoned to death for being lesbian or gay.

Sure, there is still discrimination here, but it's not as bad as it was anymore and GaGa had nothing to do with it. I have yet to see any progress whatsoever all thanks to her except more people flocking to her concerts and buying her CDs instead of going out and doing something. That's the point, right? She wants people to fight for themselves and not sit there and keep complaining and crying. She can't do this stuff by herself, but as I've said before, she is not the first person to do it. People just credit her simply because it's easy to right now because of her popularity. And ignorance.

About GaGa's resemblance to Madonna, ok sure, it's not a COMPLETE resemblance but it mostly has to do with her flaunting her sexuality (not her being bisexual, just her raw sexuality as a woman). It's pretty tiring and I don't understand it. Ok, yes, she is proud to be herself, but does she really have to be so provocative about it? I've already seen Madonna flaunting her feminine sexuality in her Erotica days and whatnot, and totally not being afraid to show off sex as a good thing. Yet when GaGa does it, it just doesn't seem right anymore. Back then it was really controversial but sexy and new. Nowadays it's just trashy and mixes in with all the garbage of our overly sexual nation which has done more bad than good especially with the internet. How else do you explain such high rates of teen pregnancy? Though, shows like Teen Mom have done a good job of preventing kids from reproducing, thank goodness.

Anyway, that's the only resemblance for me. Though it's no secret that GaGa's fashion isn't entirely original either. But delusional fans will be delusional.

EDIT: THAT'S MY BIT OF RANTING FOR NOW! I don't care about continuing this conversation here so PM me if you really want to. Let's get back to talking about pop music please?
    Last edited by Nyokou; 12th June 2011 at 6:51 AM.

사랑받고 싶은 거짓말~

Last Friday Night leaked. It's a fun video, I really enjoyed it

You don't need Lady GaGa to tell you to get up and fight for your rights, you are perfectly capable of doing that yourself. Anyone is really. And the United States is doing pretty damn well in terms of LGBT acceptance. There are people in other countries who are not so lucky though. It's pretty much a given in conservative countries such as Korea that you will lose your reputation if you come out of the closet. Or even countries in the Middle East where you will get hung in public or stoned to death for being lesbian or gay.
    Sure, there is still discrimination here, but it's not as bad as it was anymore and GaGa had nothing to do with it. I have yet to see any progress whatsoever all thanks to her except more people flocking to her concerts and buying her CDs instead of going out and doing something. That's the point, right? She wants people to fight for themselves and not sit there and keep complaining and crying. She can't do this stuff by herself, but as I've said before, she is not the first person to do it. People just credit her simply because it's easy to right now because of her popularity. And ignorance.
    Gaga isn't just famous in the US, she's got a worldwide stage. You're belittling the progress she's helping. Hate her if you want but do NOT bring the gay rights movement into it. The work she does for the community is good work, and I will not stand for someone belittling it based on pure stupid hate. So what if she's not the first person, so what if she's not the only person, she's doing something.Why is that not respectable? Because she's famous and super popular? Because you don't like her musically?

Go to hell. Talk all you want about hating her music, but insulting what she's done based on no logical standing is uncalled for.

And all the gay teens who've been driven to suicide in this country is a WONDERFUL example of how discrimination is not bad at all here.
    Last edited by Chris-kun; 12th June 2011 at 7:21 AM.

twittertumblrlast.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Fused View Post
    I mean, who didn't jam to "Poker Face" and "Just Dance?"
    Honestly, I didn't. I heard Just Dance and it took me a while to really like it, same with Poker Face. Even then, I rarely listened to them unless they were being played on the radio while I was listening. Once I heard the stuff on The Fame Monster, I never looked back. The songs on The Fame Monster made most songs on The Fame seem like fecal matter by comparison IMO. Gaga was at her shallowest during The Fame days, and I probably wouldn't be here discussing her if it weren't for The Fame Monster and her recent songs.

I never said I hated her nor did I say I hate her music.

And I still don't think what she's doing has done any good. How is she going to change the minds of conservatives when she is out there prancing around half naked and doing really obscure and strange stuff? That will only appeal to people who think the same way she does or have open minds. And a lot of conservatives don't have open minds. She's making it look like more of a joke rather than a good thing.

But please, give me proof of how much she has changed or pushed forward the LBGT movement. If you can then I will take all I've said back, but I still stand by my opinion that normal people have done more than her.

I am obviously aware of the suicides and even murders of gay people, but unfortunately it's one of many issues plaguing our great nation today. If you are so concerned about it, why don't you do something to help too?

Ah, but again, you don't. You expect Lady GaGa to do all the work for you, right?

I don't hate the lady and I respect her for what she is doing but she is going about it the wrong way with her music videos and image. She is only enforcing the trashy and disturbing stereotype that gay bashers/haters believe that the LGBT community is instead of going about it in a classy way.

Ok I'm done for real this time! I'm not really going to waste my time "arguing" with someone who puts words in my mouth and immaturely tells me to "go to hell". Maybe when you stop being so delusional over your love for GaGa (who you will most likely never meet in person) and learn to talk about things without getting so angry over the internet, I might take you seriously Chris-kun.

사랑받고 싶은 거짓말~

And I still don't think what she's doing has done any good. How is she going to change the minds of conservatives when she is out there prancing around half naked and doing really obscure and strange stuff? That will only appeal to people who think the same way she does or have open minds. And a lot of conservatives don't have open minds. She's making it look like more of a joke rather than a good thing.

But please, give me proof of how much she has changed or pushed forward the LBGT movement. If you can then I will take all I've said back, but I still stand by my opinion that normal people have done more than her.

I am obviously aware of the suicides and even murders of gay people, but unfortunately it's one of many issues plaguing our great nation today. If you are so concerned about it, why don't you do something to help too?

Ah, but again, you don't. You expect Lady GaGa to do all the work for you, right?

I don't hate the lady and I respect her for what she is doing but she is going about it the wrong way with her music videos and image. She is only enforcing the trashy and disturbing stereotype that gay bashers/haters believe that the LGBT community is instead of going about it in a classy way.

Ok I'm done for real this time! I'm not really going to waste my time "arguing" with someone who puts words in my mouth and immaturely tells me to "go to hell". Maybe when you stop being so delusional over your love for GaGa (who you will most likely never meet in person) and learn to talk about things without getting so angry over the internet, I might take you seriously Chris-kun.
    What about her speeches for DADT repeal? Here's a particularly good one. Or when she brought gay and lesbian soldiers to the VMAs with her? Or her various marches in equality marches and speeches. I don't have a "delusional love" for Lady Gaga, but I damn well respect a woman in her position fighting for the rights of the LGBT community.

You come into this thread, insult a woman's political activism, and you're calling me unreasonable? And you don't know me at all, how dare you make assumptions about how I live my life based on my respect of an artist who takes the plight of my community to heart and uses her stance as an incredibly influential and popular artist to fight for equality. It's respectable and you have no right to insult her for it. If you dislike her music that's fine.

twittertumblrlast.fm

MOREOVER, she influenced Target to donate money for LGBT groups, because Target had previously given money to anti-LGBT groups.

The Telephone music video is really a fantastic piece of art. It may be a bit hectic, and even Gaga herself apparently says she doesn't like it (this may be untrue) however to the casual viewer it's a cheap cop out of product placement and just general cheapness. When you understand it you can really appreciate it and what it commentates on.

It's a really good video, and I actually didn't hate Rebecca Black being in it. It's a really great summer song

If I'm to be honest, this, and everything else you've written is highly delusional. Chris-Kun is definitely not a delusioned Gaga lover, Chris is just highlighting the blatant flaws and idiocy in what you say.

Gaga is one of the leading advocates on Gay Rights and Gay Equality, so to not understand all she's done or to dis-acknowledge the work she's done is ignorant. She's a global star, and she never uses her image and status as a way to just do shallow endorsements (I understand she collaborates with polaroid, but she collaborates with them and she doesn't just stick her face on a polaroid camera) but instead she uses her strong voice in the world to fight for equality, and to support a large portion of her fans. To be honest, I don't recall any other artist who has recently used their power to branch into politics, all to support their fanbase.

And you go on to talk about her image. Her image is what she chooses to be. She doesn't dress to please people, she dresses to her own style. She's not 'enforcing' this 'trashy' image at all. Your arguments seem to be based on your shallow opinions of her image, and maybe when you start to understand her motives a bit better and stop being so ignorant of all she's done

I might take you seriously
    Running for the thrill of it

I'm not going to start ranting about what she did for the LGBT community (cause she really has helped, more than you think) But you're saying she went downhill as if it is actually a fact, which it isn't. It's YOUR oppinion and mine is that she got better. I think the Judas video is one of her best and while I do hope she will write a song as catchy as Poker Face or Just Dance again, I like her new album better than the others. Really, it all comes down to oppinion and yours is that you like the old Gaga better, good for you.
    Black: 0389 7985 8218
    I claimed ~Tropius~

Quote Originally Posted by Geekachu View Post
    The Telephone music video is really a fantastic piece of art. It may be a bit hectic, and even Gaga herself apparently says she doesn't like it (this may be untrue) however to the casual viewer it's a cheap cop out of product placement and just general cheapness. When you understand it you can really appreciate it and what it commentates on.
    Lol the old "omg you just don't get it's such an amazing piece of art". No it's not. It's a boring, grossly overstretched concept which runs opposite to what she said the original song was about. Pseudo intellectuals and rabid Lady Gaga fans, is it worth separating them?

And you go on to talk about her image. Her image is what she chooses to be. She doesn't dress to please people, she dresses to her own style. She's not 'enforcing' this 'trashy' image at all. Your arguments seem to be based on your shallow opinions of her image, and maybe when you start to understand her motives a bit better and stop being so ignorant of all she's done
    Her image are what her stylists and designers choose her to be. Her style is a blatant rip-off of artists such as Bowie and Prince (who made better music, played more instruments, wrote some genuinely inspiring lyrics in the case of Prince, and generally had some originality in their music).

As for judging her on her image, what else are we meant to judge her on? That and her shitty electro-pop go hand in hand. She uses her image (and ugly ugly person) to sell records, and millions of chumps lap it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrakion View Post
    And how is it a bad thing that she's taken her songs and put an inspirational theme to them?
    Cos it's cheap and her music sucks ***. Inspiring people can be done in several ways via music. Compare something like "Bridge over troubled water" to "Born This Way". One is a well constructed beautifully sung piece of music about self-sacrifice and companionship. The other is Born This Way. Lyrics that smack you in the face repeatedly done for no other reason than to convince her fans that she gives a **** about them.

I, for one, and insanely happy she did this. I was alreaady a huge fan of her, but when she started focusing on mine and her other fans' rights and self-esteem,
    She does it so you buy her records.

My point is that this is the only thing that has really changed, and it's a change for the better. I fail to see how one can no longer connect with this - there's only a few songs that explicitly mention LGBT issues, if that's the problem you have with it.
    Just because a point is made explicitly doesn't make it good. There are so many better songs to do with gay relationships.

So Madonna (who happens to be my 3rd favorite artist, I have nothing against her) had techno- and synthpop-influenced songs with lyrics about being yourself and loving yourself, and multiple biblical figures?
    Is that a joke?

This comparison is just tiring now.
    TBH it was tiring when Gaga first made her name whoring out other musicians.
    Last edited by Snorunt conservationist; 12th June 2011 at 4:02 PM.

Page 52 of 334 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast