Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: One of Many

Well, with school started, I'm not going to be able to update this fic as often, but I have done something you may enjoy (or maybe not), I have rewritten Chapter One of this story, to make you understand Tracey better. So, here it is!

One of Many

“Class, please hand in your homework from last night, pages 396 to 409, please,” said Mr. Ghing. He was a broad shouldered man, with a prominent chin, thick eyebrows, and a thin moustache over his mouth. He had a dull, practiced tone to his voice. He had been a Math teacher for over ten years now, and it was a ritual for him now to ask for homework every day. There was a sudden flurry of movements as the students reached for their papers.

“Was there anybody who was here Monday who does not have the homework done?” the teacher asked. Everyone’s heads automatically turned to the back of the room, staring at an individual who was quietly sketching something on the back of his notebook. The teenage boy took no notice. He had long, dirty-blonde hair falling over his eyes, which were a dark, aqua color. His mouth was curved into a slight frown of concentration. Mr. Ghing shook his head in exasperation.

“Would you like to share your drawing with the class, Mr. Morgan?” he asked. Half of the class tried to hide their smirks. They knew what was coming. The boy looked up, seemingly breaking out of a reverie.

“Oh, no, it’s just a…umm…” the boy replied lamely, trying to hide his notebook. Mr. Ghing slowly paced to the back of the room and pried the notebook from the hands of his student. He looked down at it. The teacher slowly looked back at his pupil, fury etched in his face. The boy gulped.

“This is unacceptable. This means a call home, Tracey Morgan!”

Chapter One
    Tracey Morgan was sitting, slouched down, in a stiff-backed chair. A man was sitting next to him, sharing Tracey’s azure colored eyes and slightly bronzed skin. Mr. Ghing was pacing in front of both of them, shaking his head.

“Tracey, this is the fifth time your teacher has had to call me this month!” the boy’s father said, looking at his son. Tracey looked up at his father. His father, however, was not looking at him, but at his drawing. Tracey surveyed it. He was a relatively gifted artist. The Mewtwo pictured was posed for action, with a Shadow Ball attack powering up in his large hands. Tracey thought it wasn’t half bad. Why were the adults acting like he had misbehaved?

“He was drawing this while I was collecting homework this morning. He neglected to turn in the assignment.” Mr. Ghing said quietly. He was looking at Tracey with his cold, beetle-black eyes.

“The assignment was to complete problems 164 to 468, while showing our work! No living human being can do that in one night!” Tracey said, his voice slightly louder than normal tone.

“It’s not only about homework, Tracey,” his father said quietly.

“Then what is it about?” Tracey asked, knowing what the answer would be.

“This is about your obsession with Pokemon. I know you are excited about getting a starting Pokemon, but we agreed-”

“You mean, you agreed, and Mom gave in?” Tracey asked defiantly.

“Don’t get smart with me. Now, your Mother and I agreed education came first. So, in your interest, you are grounded for the month.” Silence followed this statement.

“But Dad, everyone else starts their journey tomorrow-” Tracey protested.

“Not William. He’s going to get a proper education, like you.”

“But everyone knows he’s a nerd, Dad. He couldn’t care less about getting Gym badges, he’d rather be getting A’s!” Tracey stood up, for effect. His father remained calm.

“That doesn’t matter. What does matter is that you are grounded. Now, if Mr. Ghing would like to…”

“No, Dad. I’m not doing school anymore. I’ve tolerated this junk for nine years; I’m not wasting any more time. I’m going to get a Pokemon tomorrow.”

“NO YOU ARE NOT!” Tracey’s father’s voice was suddenly huge, echoing around the small room.

“YOU ARE TO GO TO YOUR ROOM, RIGHT NOW!” He yelled, pointing towards the door unnecessarily.

“Dad, we’re in school.” Tracey said, shrinking away from his father.

“THEN GO HOME AND GO TO YOUR ROOM!” Tracey knew from the look on his father’s face that this conversation was over. He accepted defeat and slouched out of the room.

The following afternoon, Tracey sat on his bed, watching jealously as Professor Oak gave a demonstration about Pokemon to the starting trainers. Tracey looked on as his best friend, Logan, who had beautiful waist-length blonde hair, bright indigo eyes, and creamy-colored skin, picked the Poke Ball that had “Squirtle” labeled above it. He felt a scream work its way up his throat as another kid he knew, Diego, picked a Bulbasaur. Bulbasaur had always been his favorite starter. He fought the scream down. Stay Calm, he told himself. Finally, the line dwindled into nothingness. Professor Oak packed up his equipment and walked into his lab.

There was a knock on Tracey’s door. Tracey ignored it, instead rolling onto his back and stared at the ceiling. The door opened, and his Mother poked her head in.

“Tracey, can we talk?” she asked.

“No.” he replied blankly, avoiding eye contact with her. She seemed to have expected this. His Mother walked into the room and shut the door behind her. She looked at her son. A single tear was glistening on his cheek. She shook her head and opened her mouth, but Tracey spoke first.

“Why am I stuck with parents who hate Pokemon?” His Mom was taken aback by his question.

“Well, for one thing, you know I don’t hate them-”

“But Dad does. And you know that, don’t you?” Tracey looked up with a defiant expression on his face.

“What you don’t understand, Tracey, is that your father has good reason to…dislike Pokemon.”

“I understand that perfectly. But why should he try to prevent me from liking them?” Tracey was speaking in a voice of determined calm.

“No, he doesn’t. But what he-well, both of us-agreed that we can’t let Pokemon take over the whole meaning of your life. You might not be successful, and then you will be back home, and you’ll need some education.” His Mother was speaking in an “it’s for the best” tone.

“You know what? I don’t care. My whole life has been leading up to today, this one moment, and my Dad shouldn’t be allowed to take that away from me. I need to be a trainer, Mom! That’s been my life’s ambition, not to be some old coot who studies Math!” Tracey had no hint of calm, forced or otherwise, in his voice now.

“Now Tracey, let’s not get carried away. I understand what you’re feeling-”

“No, no you don’t, because you guys will never understand how I feel. Never!” Tracey was standing up now. Blood rushed to his head, and anger was coursing through his veins.

“Tracey, this is getting out of hand. Let’s just-”

“NO! GET OUT! I DON’T WANT TO TALK ANYMORE!!” Tracey was screaming at the top of his lungs, without caring what would happen. What he didn’t expect was for his mother to quietly bow her head and walk out the door.
    Tracey started to rip his room apart, desperate to take his anger out on something. Just as he picked up his History textbook to tear, a rock hit his window with a dull clunk. He stopped and cautiously made his way to his window. He looked down and made out the figure of Logan in the dusk. He slid open his window. She waved at him.

“What is it?” he asked, in false cheer.

“Come on out, Tracey!” she yelled. Tracey moaned with longing.

“If only I could. But I’m grounded, Logan. You must know that by now…” Tracey stared at her. She had known, right?

“I know that, silly. But I guess that means I should just tell Professor Oak that he can give that Bulbasaur he saved for a certain person away?” Logan smiled as she watched Tracey’s expression. He always had a weak spot for Bulbasaur.

“You’re kidding, right?” Tracey asked, amazed.

“Nope.” There was silence after this.

“Tracey? Are you still up there?” Logan yelled.

“Of course! I was just saying praising Ho-oh for bringing me to this day. Let me get my stuff, and I’ll escape tonight. I’ll be done dinner around eight, so just come then. Thank you, so much!” Tracey waved to Logan. She smiled again and set off towards her house again. He watched her walking with a dreamy look on his face. Her blonde hair was so beautiful, blowing in the wind… wait, that wasn’t right! Logan was just a friend. A very good friend, Tracey thought to himself. He shook himself and looked around his room, realizing this was it. He would be leaving soon, off to experience the real joy of Pokemon! It made him rather sad, to think of leaving his home. Tracey jumped as his father’s voice yelled for him to come down for dinner. He obeyed.

After dinner he nicked some cooking materials and food from downstairs and sneaked them into his room. He looked around. “I’ll be back. I will…” he whispered, as if making a promise to his room. He took up his pack and started packing all that he would need on a long journey: 5 Poke Balls he had managed to nick off of his dad, clean underwear, his travel-size tent and sleeping bag, and a badge case that his Uncle Stephan had given to him for his fourteenth birthday.

“Now for the outfit.” Tracey grinned. He had handpicked this outfit for his journey. It was nothing fancy, really, but he felt it suited him well. He pulled on an alabaster colored T-shirt bearing the phrase Pokemon Master!, slipped into his favorite pair of jeans, dark teal and pocketed. His special, magnetized belt went on, followed by his ash-colored vest. Inside the vest he put his invested money, 3000 yeni.

“Look out, world. Here I come.” Tracey announced. He considered what he said for a second.

“Well, that was corny. Oh, well.” The teen took his final article of clothing, an olive colored headband, and tied it around his long, dirty-blonde hair. Tracey surveyed himself critically in the mirror.

“Not too bad!” he said in approval. He looked one more time around his room, and headed out the door. His family believed in having bedtime right after dinner, and he could already hear his father’s snores. Tracey peeked into his brother Sammy’s room. The two year old was snoozing on the floor, having fallen out of bed. Tracey smiled softly and whispered a goodbye. He proceeded to his sister Courtney’s room. He finally walked down the stairs, leaving a note explaining why he left the house on the kitchen table, and walked out the door for the last time in a while. Tracey looked back at his house, but resisted the urge to run back in.

I can do this, he thought. He called out for Logan. She stumbled out from behind a bush that was hidden behind a clump of trees. She was wearing her favorite outfit, a plain white tank top with a sky blue stripe running around her chest, beige-colored long pants, scarlet trainers, and royal purple wristbands. Tracey blushed when she looked at him, embarrassed at being late.

“Finally. You’ve got everything?” Logan asked. Tracey mentally checked his list.

“Yep.”

“All right. Let’s head to Professor Oak’s lab!” Logan exclaimed. Excitement flooded Tracey. He would finally get a starter!

“Well, let’s go!” Tracey said. He and Logan had only taken a few steps when a shout broke the silence.

“Tracey!” It was his mother. Tracey groaned and turned, prepared for the worst.

“You can’t leave without this!” his mother exclaimed. She brandished a large, folded piece of paper at him, a Town Map.

“Mom?” Tracey asked. She smiled sadly and handed him the item. He swiftly handed it to Logan and hugged his Mother.

“I’m going to miss you, Tracey.” She said, in a jerky voice.

“I’ll miss you, too. I’ll miss everyone. You understand, I have to do this, right?” He looked up at her.

“Of course I understand. You better go out there and be the best trainer in the world, young man! Make your mother proud!” She pulled him into a hug again.

“My little boy’s all grown up, now!” she sniffed, openly crying now.

“Thanks for everything, Mom! I’ll call you if I reach Uncle Steve’s house in Vermilion!” Tracey said. He was holding back his tears. But at the same time, he was smiling.

“Don’t come home without the Pokemon League Trophy!” His Mom broke out of the hug and slowly walked back to the house, dabbing her eyes with a tissue.

“Tracey, are you alright?” Logan asked quietly. Tracey nodded. He was shaking uncontrollably, but he started walking. Logan gave him a quick squeeze around the shoulders and the two walked down the path towards Professor Oak’s lab.

To be continued...

So, how d'ya like it?
    I am not worried, Harry. I am with you.

^This is my new fanfic. It's a work in progress, so please read and comment at your discretion. I hope you like it. I think you will.

Many, many thanks to Mew, who created this exceptional banner!

Harry Potter and How I Met Your Mother are currently my life.

roodude15 Guest

Thnx a lot for the PM. I like how you Described Tracy. At least it got me to know why he did what he did. You are getting better and better with each new chapter. I am enjoying it a lot. Can't wait for the next.

~roo~

Thanks a lot, roo! I worked hard to flesh out the characters in this one, and I hope it worked!

Cheers!
    ~Bulby

^This is my new fanfic. It's a work in progress, so please read and comment at your discretion. I hope you like it. I think you will.

Motig Guest

Great chapter Bulbs. The way you described Tracy was great. Great re-make. Shame we won't see as much of this now, but this was a great reminder.

Your mate

Shiny

Thanks for the review, Shiny. I'll still write, but it'll take longer what with homework and stuff...

Cheers!
    ~Bulby

L100Meganium Guest

Even better than before!! I believe you added more description, among other things. Very nice! ^ ^ What else can I say?

Keep it up, Bulba! ^_^

Thanks, Meganium. Yeah, my main focus on this fic was to add more description, to make up for Chapter One's lack of it. I'm starting Chapter Ten now, just to let you know!

Cheers!
    ~Bulby

Wow, has it been a month already? I'm really sorry for not updating, guys. I hope I'm not banned, because I just double-posted and bumped a topic. But I will update soon, I'm just really busy with Homework. It would help if I had a few more reviewers, but I'm glad the few who do read this enjoy it. I'd be open to suggestions for captures/evolutions for Tracey, Logan, or Vincent!

Cheers!
    ~Bulby

L100Meganium Guest

Hmmm..... Tracey should cath something a little against his personality for variety and flavor, Something of a rare type....perhaps a Houndour or something like that. Or a lesser used Pokémon such as Drowzee, Cubone, or even Shroomish. O.o;

Hmmm...it's been so long, that I can't remember whether Logan has only Squirtle or more than that. O_O;;; Again, try a few surprising Pokémon, maybe a Tyrogue or a Miltank, or a baby Pokémon like Elekid or Smoochum.

Anyway, just a few ideas; don't worry 'bout my opinion too much. ^ ^;

Indigo Guest

Post a list of the Pokémon everyone has, Bulbs, and we'll help you from there. How's that?

~Ind

All right, It's not that long a list...

Tracey: Bulbasaur
    Electrike

Logan: Squirtle
    Kakuna
    Magikarp

Vincent(Known): Charmeleon
    Rhydon

Hope that helps!

~Bulby

Indigo Guest

Tracey:
    Quilava
    Kadabra
    Octillery

Logan:
    Absol(PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!!!!)
    Venomoth
    Solrock/Lunatone

Vincent:
    Hariyama
    Heracross
    Electrode

Tried my best...

Well, after what seems like forever(and it probably did take that long), I've completed Chapter Ten! Please read and review, I can always improve.

Without further ado...

Chapter 10: Gym Battle-Part One!

Tracey slammed the doors to the gym open and jogged inside, Logan beside him. The gym had a different feel then the Pewter Gym, a little less foreboding. Fish tanks lined the walls, which were an aqua color, with hints of magenta. Two doors led from the main entrance, one labeled “Gym Room”, the other “Stage”.

“Hello? We’re looking for Misty, the Gym Leader!” Logan shouted. Her voice echoed off the walls.

“Maybe she’s in the gym room?” suggested Tracey.

“You think?” Logan asked, pushing on the doors. They were locked.

“If your looking for Misty, she’s like, not here right now!” said a female’s voice, startling Tracey. He leapt and turned around, wide-eyed. Standing in front of them were two teenage girls, one with dark teal colored hair and eyes, the other with shocking fuchsia.

“What?” Logan asked, stepping forward.

“She went up to Cerulean Cape about, like, fifteen minutes ago,” said the pink-haired one, blinking flirtatiously at Tracey. Tracey blushed and looked away.

“Is it safe to go up to the cape and ask her for a battle?” Logan asked. Blue hair nodded.

“You know where it is, right?” she asked, reaching for a Map-like thing in her pocket, and handing it to Tracey.

“Oh, we’ve already been there,” Tracey said, handing it back.

“Oh, well then, like, bye!” said the pink-haired one, giggling and averting her eyes. Tracey led the way out the door. When sure it was secure, Logan turned to him.

“That was…”

“Odd. I know,” Tracey finished, smiling at the thought of the sisters. He looked over at Logan, who was smirking at him.

“What? Is there something wrong with my hair?” he asked, reaching up instinctively.

“No, it’s not the hair. That girl in there…” Logan continued to smirk.

“What about her?” asked Tracey, completely clueless.

“Oh, never mind. C’mon, let’s get going!” Logan started up the winding path leading away from the gym. Tracey was thoroughly confused.
    “What?” he persisted, marching after his friend. She shook her head, smiling, and kept walking. Tracey gave up, and changed topic.

“So, how’s life been?”

“What?” Logan stopped walking and stared at him.

“Well, I just realized that we’ve been traveling for over two weeks, and we’ve never really talked. Do you remember the good old times, when we would just talk in school, and never have anything between us? It seems that’s just not happening anymore! Do you remember that time, in Math, when William asked you out?”

Logan smiled at the thought of that memory.

“I said I wouldn’t go out with him if he were the last guy on Earth!”

“And I asked if you would go out with me.”

“Yeah, but that relationship was short-lived. We’re better being just friends. Good friends.” Tracey nodded in agreement. He looked around, not having realized they were walking up the path toward the same rocky cliff they had encountered Team Skye. He shuddered at the thought of Skylar’s duplicity.

“Do you hear something?” Logan asked.

“No… hang on, yeah!” Tracey exclaimed. He was hearing a slight croon, as if the creature were resting. It was muffled, though, as if a pillow were pressed over its mouth.

“That’s a Skarmory’s cry!” Logan said, suddenly aware of the familiar rattling breath. Tracey was already searching for the source of the sound, digging away at small boulders and brush. Logan dug into the rocky cliff as well, looking into all nooks and overhangs.

“Over here!” Tracey exclaimed. He pulled back a thorny root to reveal a small, round-eyed Skarmory gazing blindly upwards in the direction of their voices, clearly just waking up. It flapped its wings and started a screech, but then suddenly collapsed into Tracey’s outstretched arms.

“What’s the matter with it?” Logan asked timidly. Tracey solemnly pulled its short wings out to full length. Logan gasped at the sight. A large, fresh wound was running down its entire left wing.

“I think this is the baby of that Skarmory that attacked us. She was most likely protecting her baby.” Logan let those words hang in the air.

“I don’t think this cut is the problem,” Tracey said tentatively.

“What?” Logan asked, puzzled.

“Look, I read Skarmory’s Pokedex entry in the Pokemon Center back there. The Pokedex says that Skarmory frequently nest in thorns and brambles to toughen up their wings. See how soft this little one’s are? No, I think this Skarmory has something else wrong with it.”

“Any suggestions?”

“Nope, I’m stuck. I think we best get it into a Poke Ball, and have Nurse Joy check it out. She’ll know what to do.” Logan nodded in agreement.

“So, do you want to take it?”

“What? Oh, no, I think you should. Tracey, we should keep the Skarmory with us, maybe re-unite it with its mother one day, you know what I mean?”

“Yeah. I guess-” Tracey was cut off by a girl’s voice.

“What are you doing to that Skarmory?” The voice was not friendly. Tracey and Logan’s heads snapped over to a teenage girl, with bright red-yellow hair and a fiery expression in her turquoise eyes, standing on the top of a low cliff.

“Nothing. And what’s your problem?” Logan asked. Tracey concealed a grin. Logan had never taken well to criticism.

“I don’t have a problem. You watch who you’re talking to, young lady!”

“Young? I doubt you’re a year older than me! Who are you, anyway?”

“Well, not that it’s any of your business, but I’m Misty, the Cerulean Gym Leader. And you?”

“Nice going, Logan. We’ve got to battle her now!” Tracey muttered.

“Shut up, Tracey!” Logan breathed. She stepped forward.

“I’m Logan, and that’s Tracey over by the fowl. I’m sorry for being so rude, we were merely attending to the Skarmory, there’s something wrong with it.” Logan hesitated as a scarlet light flashed behind her. Tracey grinned sheepishly and held out the newly caught Skarmory in its Poke Ball.

“Yeah, we were wondering if you’d like to battle the two of us?” Tracey asked, cutting straight to the point.

“A battle? Sure, why not. But, to save time, why don’t we have a double battle?” Misty was suddenly cheerful, and was already reaching for a Poke Ball on her belt.

“Umm, we’re kind of inexperienced…” Logan said, remembering their first battle with Skylar and Aiden.

“And we don’t even have a referee!” Tracey exclaimed, looking around.

“All right, look. First, we do have a referee. Tracy?”

“Yes?” Tracey answered.

“No, not you, Tracy!” Misty said, holding her hand out. A young man stepped toward Misty. Apparently, he had been hanging behind an outcropping, while Misty had checked the coast. He had long, auburn hair that came down to his ears, and a maroon headband tied around his head. He looked no older than sixteen.

“Satisfied? And, since you say you’re ‘inexperienced’, I’ll make it simple. I use one pair of Pokemon, while you two can use up to four Pokemon. Got it?”

“Misty, I really don’t think you should-”

“Tracy, you just referee. I make the rules, okay?” The older Tracy nodded, reluctant to argue.

“Tracy and I were actually up here looking for any traces of Team Skye. They’ve become really dangerous to this town, and Officer Jenny needed some help.” Misty explained.

“Oh, I thought you were doing… something else.” Logan said, smirking. Misty merely blushed.

“Do you agree to the rules?” Misty asked.

“I guess.” Logan and Tracey said in unison.

“Good. Let the games begin!” Misty exclaimed. Tracy stood on a rock, and waved his hands, to indicate the start of battle.

“As the leader, I’ll choose first!” Misty said. She had that fiery glint in her eyes again, as she pulled two Poke Balls from her belt.

“Corsola, Gyarados, I choose you!” Misty threw the spheres into the air. In a burst of turquoise light, a small, spiky magenta colored Pokemon was released. In another flash, this time an ivory color, a gigantic sea serpent exploded onto the battlefield, giving a mighty roar. It towered above even the highest of the jagged cliffs, a deep shade of cobalt.
    “Logan?” Tracey asked, his voice high pitched.

“Yeah?” Logan replied, her voice shrill and squeaky.

“Do you want to choose a Pokemon?”

“Oh, right. Kakuna! Go!” In a shower of sparks, the large, sandy colored cocoon Pokemon appeared. It hovered just above the ground next to Logan.

“Okay… Bulby, go!” Tracey yelled. In a flare of deep amethyst, Tracey’s faithful starter appeared. Bulby shook itself, having been in his Poke Ball for a while. He started to grin, but stopped as the large Gyarados towered to its full height.

“Do you want a forfeit?” Misty teased, seeing her opponent’s reactions.

“No, not at all. Bulby, Razor Leaf Gyarados!” Tracey yelled.

“Kakuna, Poison Sting on Corsola!” Logan commanded. Bulby released a volley of sharp leaves at Gyarados while Kakuna produced two venomous stingers from its hard shell and flew at Corsola.

“Corsola, Spike Cannon. Gyarados, Stand your ground!” Misty had a strategy that was hard to beat. If only Tracey and Logan knew…

Corsola sent several pearly colored spikes straight toward Kakuna. It was too slow to avoid the attack, and fell heavily to the ground. Meanwhile, Gyarados had been completely unaffected by the Razor Leaf.

“What?!?” Tracey and Logan both yelled aloud.

“This isn’t as easy as you though it would be, is it?” Misty asked. She was leering at the trainers, and her Pokemon followed suit.

“I don’t get it! Gyarados should have at least received a small percentage of damage from Razor Leaf.” Tracey then remembered something he had read in school, during History class.

‘Gyarados is a mystical Pokemon, with several unusual qualities. It’s aerial abilities and callous scales make this Pokemon a severe hazard to any aspirant mentor, veteran or not.’

Although Tracey had been eight at the time, he could now roughly translate the sentence.

“Bulby, this is gonna be a bumpy ride!” he yelled. Bulba nodded in solemn agreement.

“Vine Whip! Aim for the horns on Gyarados’ head!” Tracey ordered. Logan looked over at her battle partner, confused. Did Tracey have a plan? Misty seemed to think so.
    “Gyarados, Flamethrower!”

To be continued…

It seems very rushed to me, and I know there was not much plot. Please take the excuse that I needed a chapter to connect Chapters Nine and Eleven, which I promise will be better.

Cheers!
    ~Bulby

Motig Guest

It wasn't that bad Bulba, not that bad at all. Some things confused me but that doesn't matter that much. The gyarados thing is a nice added extra. More description would be nice. When i described Combusken in FN, I described her in 9 lines. I find it helps to have a picture/sprite of the pokemon infront of you, because then you have a visual image of it.

Good luck with the next chapter

Your mate

Motig

L100Meganium Guest

That was a good chapter. ^ ^ I was having so much fun reading it I didn't notice that it was longer then it seemed, and that's a good thing! =D Still kinda short, but I'm not complaining; some important events happened in this one, and that's good enough for me. ^ ^

Keep up the great work, Bulby! ^.^=b

Thank you, guys!!! (Is there a rule against me giving out pie and other sweets, or have I been stupid through the past ten chapters?)

First off- Motig, what confused you? I'll be happy to explain anything or edit the chapter. Don't be afraid to speak up! I focused a whole lot on describing the colors in this one(Cobalt, Ivory- no one noticed?) and forgot description. Whoops. By the "Gyarados thing" you meant the dictionary description at the end, right?

Second, Meganium- I'm glad you found the chapter exciting. For what feels like the umpteenth time, I apologize for length. I feel there is a certain extent I can write to, and then I block off. It's just the way I am. But, like you said, sometimes that's a good thing, right?

Thank you, again. *Pie and, for those allergic, cookies! and, if any of you are on a low-fat diet, soy milk!!!!)

Cheers!
    ~Bulby

roodude15 Guest

I promised I would read your chapter soon and well here I am. The chapter did seem rushed but you already knew that. The transitions to each paragraph or sentence was nice and description was alright. The only thing that kinda bothered me was the fact that it ended to quickly but like you said you would make up for it when ch. 11 comes so I'm not worried about it. The chapter was good and it did give a visual iimage of almost everything that went on. Keep it up.

~roo~

Amara Guest

wow, i like this story! ^^ hope to see more soon.

Love, Anna

Though trainer-fics aren't my cup of tea, this chapter makes it look unique in comparison to the most around here.
    Please Review My First Pokemon Fanfic, Champion of the Wild!!!

Thanks roo, Blue Aurora, and Amara! *pie, sweets, etc*. I'm glad you all like this chapter, hope I can continue this in Chp. Eleven!

Cheers,
    ~Bulby

Indigo Guest

Pretty good, Bulbs. Although I think you should stop to smell the roses a little. Describe the battle and the surroundings a teeny bit more. I learned my lesson about that just a few days ago. ^^;;

Length ties in with description, as always.

I like your style, but there's something missing. I don't know what, though.

~Ind

Think hard on that, Indigo I'd love to know what you think is missing. *pie* I'm about halfway through Chapter Eleven, guys. Cheers!

~Bulby

A double post can only mean... new chapter! I hope you like this one; 5 and a quarter pages on Word(My longest yet!)

Without further ado,

Chapter Eleven-Gym Battle! Part 2

“Bulba!” yelled a viridian colored Pokemon, pulling its small body back. Two olive colored vines were released from a large bulb on its back. The Pokemon’s trainer, Tracey Morgan, gritted his teeth as the vines twisted through the air, towards a large, ferocious looking sea serpent, complete with large, yellowed fangs and feathered gills behind its jaws. His best friend, Logan, looked curiously at him. Tracey ignored her. He had to focus solely on the battle at hand. Misty, his opponent, frowned for a split second before crying a command to her Pokemon.

“Gyarados, Flamethrower!”

Tracey was stunned. How could a Water-Type Pokemon use a Fire typed attack?

“Did that surprise you, Tracey?” Misty taunted. Tracey pulled himself back together.

“No!” he said, after a slight hesitation. The two glowered at each other, and looked to their Pokemon. Time seemed to stop as the two Pokemon faced off. Gyarados opened its mouth, and flames slowly started taking shape inside the small cavern.

“The vines are almost there! If I can just hold Flamethrower off long enough…” Tracey thought. Just as the vines were about to pass the Pokemon’s large upper lip, they stopped. Tracey looked at Bulby in fear. Corsola, Misty’s other Pokemon, had clamped onto Bulby’s vines with two of the coral spikes protruding from its head.

“Nice work, Corsola! Now Gyarados, release Flamethrower!” Misty ordered. Bulby squirmed, but Corsola had it firmly in her grasp. Flamethrower rushed out of Gyarados’ mouth. Corsola leaped out of the way just in time. Large, red-hot flames passed out of the Pokemon’s mouth and engulfed Bulby. The Pokemon released a long, piercingly high cry. Tracey cringed. Bulby had never been hit directly by a Fire attack that powerful before. When the flames finally died down, Bulby was lying in a heap on the ground.

“Bulby?” Tracey asked tentatively. Bulby gave a weak cough in response.

“Bulbasaur is unable to continue battling. Round One goes to Misty and Gyarados!” Tracy yelled, in a serious tone. Tracey bit back a cry of protest and returned Bulbasaur to his Poke Ball.

“You were awesome, Bulby,” he whispered to his faithful companion.

“Now do you give up?” Misty asked.

“Would just shut up, you little…” Tracey didn’t want to complete the sentence. Instead, he thought of what he was going to do next.

“Tracey?” Logan asked.

“What?”

“Just release Rikelec, and get on with it!”

“I dunno. Gyarados is a flying type, too.”

“Yeah, that gives Rikelec a double advantage!”

“No...Go, Skarmory!” Tracey yelled. In a blast of violet, the newly caught fowl burst from the Poke Ball. Skarmory glinted in the sun, her hard coat of armor thrust out. She folded her soft maroon wings to her side and… fell over.

“That’s your choice? Not very wise, using such an inexperienced Pokemon in a gym battle!” Misty jeered.

“It’s all right, shake it off, Skarmory!” Tracey shouted.

“Tracey, Are you crazy?” Logan cried.

“I don’t think so…”

“Skarmory is chosen next. Let this double battle continue!” Tracy yelled in monotone.

“Skarmory, um…err…” Tracey realized with a pang of guilt he didn’t know any of Skarmory’s attacks.

“Gyarados, Dragon Rage. Corsola, Ancient Power!” Misty yelled.

“Tracey, you idiot! Kakuna, you’ll have to help Skarmory. Harden!” Logan yelled, glowering at Tracey.

“Now would be a great time to check your Pokedex!” she muttered.

“Right!” Tracey flipped his Pokedex open. He scanned through the short list of Pokemon he had identified in it.

“Skar…Skar… here!” Tracey said.

“Hurry up!” Logan said urgently. Corsola’s eyes glowed a bright scarlet, and jagged pieces of earth started breaking from the ground. Gyarados, on the other hand, was unhinging its large jaws again. A fiery sphere was taking form.

“ ‘A young Skarmory will start with the limited moveset of a hatchling…blah, blah… Peck, Leer, Sand Attack, and Swift!” Tracey exclaimed.

“Use one of them!” Logan said, in an even more frantic tone. Ancient Power was released just then, and Logan looked away. The earthy blocks closed around Kakuna, and crushed the Pokemon like a… well, a bug. Even Harden couldn’t save it.

“Kakuna!” Logan cried out.

“Kakk…” It whispered feebly. Its eyes blanked out.

“Kakuna is unable to continue the match. Round Two also goes to Misty!” Tracy announced.

“Return…” Logan sighed. Kakuna disappeared into its Poke Ball.

“C’mon, you guys are pushovers!” Misty protested. Tracey thought she was right. The two’s combined efforts hadn’t caused one point damage to either of her Pokemon.

“Go, Squirtle!” Logan called. In a beam of magenta light, Squirtle merrily jumped into battle.

“Squirt!!!” He called. The Pokemon then looked at its present surroundings. It gulped.

“Let the battle continue!”

“Skarmory, attempt a Swift Attack on Gyarados!” Tracey yelled, hoping Skarmory had some practice with attacks.

“Squirtle, Water Pulse on Corsola!”

“Gyarados, Twister! Corsola, Mirror Coat!” Misty ordered. Three of the Pokemon immediately readied themselves. Skarmory merely gazed blankly at a cliff face, and fell over again.

“Skarmory, what’s the matter with you?” Tracey cried in frustration. Skarmory turned its head in a circle, looking for the source of Tracey’s voice.

“Tracey, remember that Skarmory’s mother? She had yellow eyes. This Skarmory’s are different…” Logan indicated to Skarmory. Tracey looked towards the Pokemon’s eyes. They weren’t yellow…they were a milky white!

“Oh, My God!” Tracey exclaimed.

“Tracey, that Skarmory’s…”

“Blind,” Tracey finished for her.

“Gyarados, release Twister! What’s the matter with you two?” Misty asked.
    “Misty, you’ve got to stop the match! The Skarmory Tracey just released is blind!” Logan yelled, waving her arms. Tracy waved his referee-like flags.

“Pause the battle!”

“What did you say, Logan?” Misty asked, stopping her Gyarados with one hand.

“Tracey’s Skarmory is blind. See its eye color? This is an unfair match.”

“It was Tracey’s choice to send it into battle. Either continue, or you’ve got to forfeit. Those are the rules.” Misty said stubbornly.

“Then I forfeit!” Tracey said. He was leaning over Skarmory, who was now flopping on the ground.

“It’s not able to fly, either. That gash on its wing is new.” Tracy remarked, putting his flags down.

“The gash is natural. Skarmory constantly scratch themselves to harden their armor.” Logan explained, while Tracey returned Skarmory.

“We have to get this Skarmory to Nurse Joy right away,” Tracey said, already starting to walk away.

“This battle will be named unfinished. Once Skarmory is healed, you can finish your battle against Misty,” Tracy said to Logan. She nodded, and hurried after her friend.

“I hope that Skarmory can get help,” Tracy said to Misty.

“Yeah.” Misty kicked a rock, mad her battle was halted.

“You’ll see them again. They’re no cowards. You could see it in their eyes,” Tracy said, trying to comfort her.

“Whatever. Return Corsola, Gyarados,” Misty commanded. The two disappeared into their Poke Balls. The two started slowly in the opposite direction, towards the Cerulean Lighthouse.
    ………………………………………….

“Nurse Joy, there’s something dreadfully wrong with this Skarmory!” Logan cried, cutting in front of the couple in front of Tracey and herself. Nurse Joy looked up from the Kecleon she had been massaging.

“Hello, Logan, Tracey. You two have to wait at the back of the line,” Nurse Joy said, pointing in that direction.

“No, Joy. This Skarmory is blind,” Tracey laid it on the counter. The Kecleon took his chance to wriggle free of Nurse Joy’s grip and disappear, its scarlet stripe hopping out the door. The Pokemon’s trainer chased after him. Logan glowered at the other trainers and patients.

“Oh, dear. Now, what were you saying, Tracey?” Nurse Joy asked, seeing as her other patients were stepping back, giving Logan a wide berth.

“This Skarmory is blind. We found it up by Cerulean Cape,” Tracey explained, stroking the Pokemon softly on the side of the head.

“Oh, how dreadful! Unfortunately, I don’t specialize in birth defects. That area is mastered by a man by the name of Marcus.”

“Erm… where can we find this Marco guy?” Logan asked.

“Well, usually he presides in Vermilion City. He will occasionally travel cross-country, but he waits until summer comes ‘round to do that, though.”

“Thanks, Nurse Joy.”

“There is something I can do for you, however. This is an extract from a Blissey’s egg. Pour a droplet into Skarmory’s eyes each night, and it should start correcting its corona, which is the first step in correcting a Pokemon’s eyesight.” The nurse produced a small bottle, handing it to Tracey.

“Will do, Nurse Joy. Thank you so much! Could you attend to our other Pokemon while you’re at it? We just came back from a gym battle with Misty.” Tracey said.

“Sure thing. Now, could you please allow some other patients forward? They’ve been waiting patiently.”

“Oh, right.” Tracey nodded to Logan.

………………………………………….

Tracey rolled onto his stomach. He and Logan had decided to bunk in the Pokemon Center for the night, and he couldn’t sleep. He had poured the extract onto Skarmory’s eyes before bed. He had also decided on a nickname for her (for Skarmory was a female, according to Nurse Joy): Skar. It wasn’t very original, but it made sense to Tracey. He was a horrible name creator. Skar was now crooning peacefully in the spare bed; Logan and the Pokemon took the others, respectfully. Tracey let out a slow sigh and tried his back again. Just as he started becoming drowsy, there was a crash; the room’s window had broken! A whirlwind twisted through the broken window and disappeared into thin air. Logan sat up, eyes wide. The Pokemon had been awaken too, and Squirtle, Kakuna, Skar, and Logan’s Magikarp fell off their beds in surprise. Through the window flew a vicious-looking Fearow, aiming directly for Skar!

“Skar!” Tracey yelled out, jumping from the top bunk and running for his Pokemon. Fearow stared at Tracey with bloodshot eyes, drawing its head back. Tracey jumped for it, and the Pokemon’s head jutted forward. Its long, sharp beak pierced Tracey’s arm. Blood started spurting everywhere. Tracey cried out in surprise, and quickly started blacking out. The last thing he remembered was Logan running for her friend, tears forming at her eyes, and a deep, booming sinister laugh…

To be continued…

Ermm... Hope you like it!

Cheers!
    ~Bulby

Indigo Guest

O.O

....woooooooooooooooowwww...

Bulbs, that's what I'm talking about! That was awesome!

The description was superb, it was...like mine. Very much so, in fact. I'm seeing a mirror image in your work to mine, and it looks great!

Length is something you know I sucked at. But in time I know you'll get more time to do longer chapters. I just expanded my horizons a bit, too: my last chapter was nine pages. I'm sure your writing will get to be that long and this good as well.

Not much to say, really. You took our advice and used it. Excellent. Although I am a bit concerned over Skarmory's nickname...Nikolas in my fic named his Skarmory the same thing!

I don't know who thought Skar up first, but I'm sure it was just a coincidence.

~Ind

Sorry, Indigo... I forgot about your Skar. I was thinking something more like Mortis, or something more sinister like that, but three things held me back:
    1) Skar's a female,
    2) I think she's gonna be more like a cuter type Pokemon, so deathly wouldn't fit her,
    3) She's got a wound on her wing that might scar over eventually.

I'll change it, if you want.

Anyway, *pie*

Cheers!
    ~Bulby

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast