Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Paul's Epilogue: aka, Getting Away With Murder

The Ash/Paul rivalry was about mutual respect, or the lack thereof. The rivalry ended with both trainers respecting one another and understanding that the others method could be effective at raising strong Pokemon. This was shown by Paul acknowledging that Infernape was very strong, and telling Ash it was a great battle. Paul also acknowledged that his training methods wouldn't have worked very well if he'd kept Chimchar, and that going to Ash was the best thing for it.

Paul left with a new attitude that didn't drastically alter his personality to the extreme that it seems like he's a different person, but still had a more postive outlook on training and his Pokemon.

Seems like it got good closure to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxEpicsxX View Post
    Everything's possible, but that doesn't make it likely.
    ^What PAD needs to learn

Spoiler:- Misc in a nutshell:

My main problem is that, while releasing Pokemon is acceptable in the games, it is emphasized as a consensual deal in the anime. Pokemon are usually released because they want other things besides the life with their trainer, and the trainer allows them to follow their dreams. Trainers that abandon their Pokemon, with their Pokemon having no choice in the matter, are consistently portrayed as immoral. Paul on the other hand breaks this trend, as he releases his Pokemon with no concern for their future. It irks me that in the end his method is simply viewed as another style of training. There are pieces of Paul's strategy that I admire, but I cannot condone his callous attitude towards his Pokemon.

Paul is a good battle strategist, but extremely harsh on his Pokemon. It is a true hell for any Pokemon he possesses.
    Il Gran Velenatore del Poke-mondo.
    The Great Poisoner of the Pokeworld.

Quote Originally Posted by deathseer View Post
    Paul is just a strict Trainer who has no time for slackers. He believes that receiving praise makes you soft, not performing up to task makes you expendable, and constant failure deserves no encouragement. He isn't here to baby you or be your friend. Either you get on board or get out of the way.
    I guess Paul=Competitive battler.
    Ash=Casual
    I like Metagross, and I used to claim it!
    Spheal with it.

Spoiler:- 3DS Friend Code:

Quote Originally Posted by Commander L. Halsti View Post
    Paul is a good battle strategist, but extremely harsh on his Pokemon. It is a true hell for any Pokemon he possesses.
    All his other pokemon seem pretty content with Paul. Hardly hellish.
    \

Quote Originally Posted by RocketTwurpSLR View Post
    (i think the writers made ash but in on purpose to make it look like he was abusing chimchar but acctually trying the counter shield)

-ash uses counter shield in the tag tournament
    -paul gets inspired and try it out
    -ash buts in think he is abusing it and being sarcastic
    -fails CS with chimchar and releases it
    -ash gains it
    3 seasons later-----
    --paul uses the counter shield stratergy in the sinnoh league

i made a vid on this somewhere!

so thats my theory
    If memory serves, Ash created his Counter Sheild technique to defeat Fantina's sleep statigies, which occurs after the Tag Battle Tournament. Even still, Paul doesn't need to use four attacks at once to test the Counter Sheild.

Now some people really like Paul. I can live with that; everyone is entitled to their oppinions. I just feel that a trainer who causes psychological damage to a Pokemon and not care for its wellbeing shouldn't be hailed as perfect. That a trainer who ignores the medical oppinions of a licensed health professional shouldn't be seen as the ideal trainer. To abandon someone who you worked with for a long time without a word or reason shouldn't be a crowning moment of awesome.

This is how I feel about the topic.
        Spoiler:- Friend Codes:

All Hail Meowth!
    Trophy made by Pika22

If you want the funny pre-Black & White Team Rocket back in the Anime,
    copy and paste this into your signature. *Started by Sapphire Kirby*

And yes, I realize that, besides the Radio Show, the chances of that happening now are less than zero.

I'm busy with life outside the internet; I won't be on often

The only problem with the Paul/Chimchar relationship is that that specific Chimchar was not a Pokemon suited for him. He was an Ash Pokemon. A Pokemon who wanted friendship and to have fun fighting in battles. He just so happened to be a very powerful Pokemon too. But because of his personality clashing with Paul's, it's power couldnt be tapped into by someone like him. His other Pokemon are perfectly fine with him. In fact they were actually seen as being happy when they were at their home.

And he did learn his lesson. That Ash's method is no worse, yet no greater than his own. Equal footing, respect etc..The goal wasnt to convert Paul, but to show him that his way isnt the only one.
    Last edited by Emperor Empoleon; 12th March 2011 at 6:40 AM.
    ~ Return to Hoenn! ~

The subtle change in Paul's behavior and/or acceptance of Ash is why the writing in DP was good.

They didn't completely change his goal like they did with Gary, he left with mutual respect.

I'm of two minds about Paul. On the one hand, I agree that his methods actually worked with certain kinds of Pokemon. However, there is no doubt that Paul was, without a doubt, abusive, or could be in certain situations. And no, he never actually physically HIT Chimchar, or any of his Pokemon, but that's like saying abuse is limited to physical damage; psychological and emotional torment can sometimes be a thousand times more damaging than physical pain. The reason Chimchar didn't last is because, as has been pointed out, he wasn't suited for that type of training, whereas the others who made it so far (Torterra, Electivire, etc) were perfectly suited for that and RESPECTED Paul's intensive drive and strenuous training measures. They wanted to be the best like him, and were willing to bleed for it. Chimchar couldn't.

I think the fact that Paul didn't change much is what made him better. I really dislike how Gary had changed because you have a one in a million shot of that happening with actual people. Paul's story/personality seem more realistic when he's kept the same way.

I think it kind of teaches that you can't always change people, for better or worse.
    I have claimed Respectshipping (Ash x Drew).
    [IMG]http://i54.*******.com/i4jsxc.jpg[/IMG]

Murder?!? Paul murdered someone? You sure you're watching the right show?

Anyways I don't think Paul or AJ were abusive, but I highly doubt kids would act like them if pokemon was real. O_o

I will now stop replying to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RedJirachi View Post
    Paul wasn't hated because of his harsher and unorthodox methods.He was hated because he pushed his Pokemon beyond their breaking point,treat them like tools(even though the anime clearly shows them as intelligent),and was a jerk to everyone around him,sans the Pokequivelant of celebrities.Yeah,Infernape was the one who defeated him,but it just doesn't feel enough punishment.A better punishment is a rebellion of every one of his Pokemon against him-except his Electivire,who's as much of a jerk as Paul.

Of course,Tobias would be considered more of an a-hole if he had dimensions(he does not,so hatred to him goes directly to the writers).So,with rivals,we're stuck with a version of Silver that will never see the light,a hyperactive child,some musician and a plot device.I hope they make Trip less of a jerk.Of course,they've got a while for that,seeing as how he's only appeared in like a few eps
    That's pretty much the gist of what bugs me about Paul. He never got a satisfying comeuppance and was randomly changed into a nice-ish person for no reason at all.
    If you rooted for Dawn during A Grand Fight For Winning even though you knew she'd lose, then copy and paste this in your signature.

I AM THE #1 PAUL HATER IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD. DEAL WITH IT.

Quote Originally Posted by LilyTwo View Post
    That's pretty much the gist of what bugs me about Paul. He never got a satisfying comeuppance and was randomly changed into a nice-ish person for no reason at all.
    Oh,there was a reason.The same reason Tobias exists:because the plot demands it!

Oh wait,you mean a good and in-universe reason.In that case,complain to the writers
    Shinies: Beast + creation trios (Gift) (In-game event) bird trio musketeer trio (SR) (search) (random), (traded away) Sylveon (trade) (MM)
    Friend code: 4356-0061-9735, Redjirachi
    UTC: +12
    Mesprit shiny hunt(on hold): 3100 SR
    Mewtwo shiny hunt: 4300 SR
    X Team: Chesnaught, Charizard, Aurorus, Tentacruel, Klefki, Malamar
    Y Team: Greninja, Venusaur, Gardevoir, Aegislash, Hawlucha, Avalugg

Jees Chocobo and Lily, you two seem to be the only people here who actually know what you're talking about.

People are seriously expect me to sit here and tell me Paul did not abuse his Pokemon? You call savagely beating Chimchar within inches of it's life, ignoring a professionally trained doctor's orders not to use it, leaving it to be beaten up by it's opponents in mid-fight, and then abandoning it right afterward not abuse?!?

To those that say Paul didn't hit Chimchar, recall the episode where Ash and Dawn had a practice match with Chimchar and Piplup. Chimchar lost, and was miserable about it, then when Ash reached down to pet him, before Ash made contact, he flinched.

Chimchar flinched.

What does that tell you about how Paul treated him?

I just love how the writers hang a blanket over his nastiness with that half-arsed "Every trainer has their own way of battling" crud. Hear that guys? Abandoning, beating and berating living creatures is okay if that's how you choose to raise them!

"Please don't look at me that way, I'm a very shy little girl!"

Quote Originally Posted by DarkWobbuffet View Post
    To those that say Paul didn't hit Chimchar, recall the episode where Ash and Dawn had a practice match with Chimchar and Piplup. Chimchar lost, and was miserable about it, then when Ash reached down to pet him, before Ash made contact, he flinched.

Chimchar flinched.

What does that tell you about how Paul treated him?
    You don't have to be physically hit to flinch like that. Plus, I don't think Paul would be stupid enough to hit a pokemon, especially one as powerful as Chimchar. Paul did see the power Chimchar can have, especially when brought to the edge. Paul would in no way put his own physical being at risk like that.
    \

You don't have to be physically hit to flinch like that. Plus, I don't think Paul would be stupid enough to hit a pokemon, especially one as powerful as Chimchar. Paul did see the power Chimchar can have, especially when brought to the edge. Paul would in no way put his own physical being at risk like that.
    That's the thing though, Chimchar was afraid of Paul. He was too scared to disobey him.

Even when Chimchar was ordered to attack that one Zangoose, which would hurt Turtwig as well, he tried to say no, but Paul intimidated him into doing it.

Besides, if Chimchar ever did go psycho, all Paul would have to do is recall him. He has no regard for a Pokemon's feelings and forces them into whatever he wants them to do.

"Please don't look at me that way, I'm a very shy little girl!"

I have a theory about why Paul is such an ******* to his pokemon. He is on a nuzlocke. Think about it. You never see him catch more than one pokemon in an area, and he releases the weak ones. They might have had a battle and lost. Paul's team changes dramatically through the show without specific reason. He is a horrible person to his pokemon because he doesn't want to get attached when they inevitably lose. He saw potential in chimchar, but like many nuzlockers before him, he realized that it can be too hard to take a shitty pokemon and make it great in a nuzlocke.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123