Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #11

Default Community POTW #11

Reno's busy writing the last one so here's the next one

Snorlax. Everybody loves our bloated friend who has been with us from the beginning.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/143.shtml

Be inventive!

give him hyperbeam and icepunch

[CENTER]
    Future Soul Silver Team

i like the bellydrum rest approch thats what i use

snorlax@leftovers/chesto berry
    -earthquake/cruch
    -bodyslam
    -bellydrum
    -rest

you could get rid of earthquake for crunch to hit levatating ghost types and a def drop
    you could also replace bodyslam with return but i like the chance of paralysis

How much HP EV's are required to get Snorlax's HP to 404?
    The sad thing about Snorlax, is that it can learn Selfdestruct, but not Explosion.
    Last edited by TheAwesomeOne; 13th March 2011 at 8:20 PM.

Snorlax
    - Body Slam/Return
    - Earthquake/Brick Break
    - Crunch
    - Selfdestruct/Rest
    Item attached: Choice Band
    Ability - Thick Fat/Immunity
    EVs and Nature
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Adamant nature (+Atk, -Sp.Atk)

Most common Snorlax set. Body Slam/Return for STAB, Earthquake or Brick Break for Rocks and Steels, Crunch for Ghosts, and Selfdestruct, which is very scary since it's picking up STAB and Choice Band, which could pretty much OHKO any Pokemon that doesn't resist it, and still do a ton against those who do resist it.

Wall Snorlax
    - Body Slam
    - Crunch/Earthquake
    - Curse
    - Rest
    Item attached: Leftovers
    Ability: Thick Fat
    EVs and Nature:
    252 HP / 252 Sp. Def / 4 Atk

Snorlax is mainly seen as a wall, and it does greatly too. Body Slam + Crunch/Earthquake for coverage. Curse is so you don't get owned by physical attackers, and you'll get the Attack boost too. Counter is also nice for the KO, but I prefer Curse. Rest is for healing. Thick Fat is important for Chandelure, which could destroy/take a ton of HP with a STAB Fire Blast/Flamethrower, and Leftovers for gradual healing. Max HP is great to take a couple Physical hits, and full Sp. Def so you can wall Special attackers too like Reuniclus and Chandelure.

Ohh.... poor Snorlax. What happened to you? Well, nothing really big in terms of gains, but with Snorlax staying the same in a shifting metagame, it's gotten to the point where Snorlax might finally be butted out of the metagame. The only major difference I've seen about Snorlax is that Selfdestruct got nerfed, which is far from a good thing. Maybe it could attempt to use Heavy Slam, but reliance on the opponent's weight isn't the best thing in the world. In the meantime, Pokemon like Conkeldurr have joined the fray becoming a major counter to Snorlax, while Defensive Pokemon like Ferrothorn and Scrafty (to a lesser extent) have the ability to take Snorlax's role as a defensive Pokemon. The most Snorlax can do is make use of its older movesets, and hope for the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Requiem
    Cross Country ftw.

No Guard, Dynamic Punch Machamp ruins Snorlax.
    Skarmory take Lax as a chance to lay down some Spikes.
    Rotom is a good team mate for Snorlax, easily takes out Skarmory, Burnes the oponent, and takes Fighting type moves with ease.
    Last edited by TheAwesomeOne; 13th March 2011 at 8:21 PM.

I wouldn't be surprised if Snorlax got beat down to UU, but I think a combo of Rest, Sleep Talk, Giga Impact, Hyper Beam with 252 in Atk & SpA and 4 HP looks interesting.

Hyper Beam and Giga Impact? No please.

Still, it was already happening the previous gen, and Snorlax seems to be the next of the "Forever OU" club to go down. SelfDestruct getting nerfed hurts in a bit, but may give room for coverage in Choice sets; Body Slam/Return, Fire Punch, Earthquake and Crunch seems a solid set.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMagic View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Snorlax got beat down to UU, but I think a combo of Rest, Sleep Talk, Giga Impact, Hyper Beam with 252 in Atk & SpA and 4 HP looks interesting.
    Why would that work? Resttalk is already unreliable and often gives away free turns when it selects rest under sleep, why give more free turns with Giga Impact and Hyper Beam?

Snorlax hasn't really changed since 2nd gen. But let me try to come up with something gimmicky:

Chesto-rest snorlax:

Snorlax @ chesto berry
    Nature: Careful (+Sp Def, -Sp Atk)
    -Rest
    -Recycle
    -Body Slam
    -Earthquake / Crunch

pretty much curselax without curse but with recycle. Only has a chance to survive in UU. Recycle keeps on bringing back chesto berry so you can use chesto-rest over and over again. In OU most foes will simply switch to something that counters you, since you spend too much turns healing and recycling and too few on attacking.

Snorlax was a true beast in 2nd gen. Indestructable. I remember going through the Crystal battle tower with Resttalking Snorlax and winning most battles on Snorlax alone (until stopped by something like Counter Blissey). Back then Resttalking was also better, since Rest wouldn't fail if selected by sleep talk, it'd simply completely restore HP again and reset the sleep turn counter. Unfortunately it gained nothing new since then (apart from gimmick options like Outrage). In 3rd gen it was still great, in 4th gen and 5th gen it simply isn't as good anymore. Moves are much more powerful with Choice specs and nasty plot, and it doesn't have the time anymore to set up loads of curses or survive 2 sleeping turns as easily as it did, and unlike Blissey, Slowbro, or Skarmory, it doesn't get a quick recovery move like Slack Off.

As a Choice user, it isn't fast and doesn't have the attack stat to compete with solid physical hard-hitters in OU like Tyranitar or Metagross. As a wall, it misses the recovery moves. If it'd get Slack Off somehow in 6th gen it might become viable in OU again, but for now, I think it belongs more in BL/UU than OU.
    Last edited by Sceptile Leaf Blade; 14th March 2011 at 8:02 PM.
    Master balls are the cheapest thing ever invented. It's more fun catching everything with balls that can fail. 'caught Latios in the wild without master ball ftw'

As long as we're talking about old sets, I've always liked Counter-Lax (lifted from 4th gen POTW):

Counter Lax

- Body Slam / Return
    - Counter
    - Selfdestruct
    - Crunch / Focus Punch / Earthquake
    Item Attached: Leftovers
    Trait: Immunity or Thick Fat
    EVs and Nature:
    EVs: 140 HP / 252 Def / 116 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)

Counter Lax. It was a bit of a niche set but it was reasonably popular, the addition of Selfdestruct made it just a fair bit more appetising. With a lot of HP but a fairly forgettable defence stat Snorlax is a strong candidate for Counter, especially since it's a magnet for physical attacks. Whilst Snorlax doesn't like absorbing the big hits, the 'average' hits are fairly absorbable (such as Swampert's Earthquakes). You can normally expect to KO at least one Pokémon with Counter and the Special and Physical Split has increased the number of physical attackers who can be targets for a set like this. As Snorlax's HP starts to drop feel free to Explode, probably taking down another Pokémon with you.

The final move slot is up to choice, Crunch stops Ghosts from walling all your attacks, Focus Punch can make opponents regret trying to set-up against Snorlax whilst Earthquake stops Steel and Rock types who can shrug off Self Destruct.
    *ALL-STAR MODE*

It could use Heavy Bomber, I think the only thing that outweighs it is Groudon. Fatso. Oh, and it has Bulldoze! Good for it. It might be able to do some sort of sweeping in it's own way. And (you may notice right now that I'm scrolling down his page and looking at his moves) it has Seed Bomb? How'd it get that? Not the best move, but it is a grass move for it nonetheless.
    Who is next?

Typhlosion is epic and has beaten the heck out of OUs!

If you are like me, and think that Typhlosion is too epic to be in UU, paste this in your sig. Started by Epicpip

Default Baby beats 'em

Munchlax with Eviolite works just as good, as Snorlax, as a Defensive Pokemon.

Snorlax does more damage thanks to higher attack, and it's faster than Munchlax (WOW), but in the end Speed does nothing for either one.

Snorlax has more HP than Munchlax, but with Eviolite Munchlax DEF and SD surpass Snorlax, effectively nullifying Snorlax's better HP.

It's a give and take, but Munchlax works just as good as Snorlax.

Snorlax- ATK, HP

Munchlax- DEF, SD

Given 3 new Dragons in the Uber Environment, Snorlax could be a decent revenge killer in Ubers:

Snorlax @ Chesto Berry
    -Belly Drum
    -Rest
    -Outrage
    -Crunch
    252 HP, 252 S. Def

Beats every Psychic and Dragon out there, hits nearly everything neutrally barring Steel Arceus, and can take hits. This set will work much better with Trick Room however, this is a Gimmick uber set, just thought Snorlax needed some love, since Chesto Berry isn't really gonna be consumed any faster with Gluttony.

Ice Punch is a viable alternative to Outrage, but with Belly Drum, it really doesn't matter, the extra power should still tear through Dialga.

Mewtwo's new signature move, Psystrike will break the Uber Mold

Help my baby Houndour grow big and strong!

^ You will need some sort of a healing method after Belly Drum, or you are easy meat for most Priority moves, mainly Extreme Speed Arceus.

My Planned Snorlax
    Snorlax Impish @Leftovers
    Earthqake/Crunch
    Curse
    Rest
    Body Slam
    If you're a DC comics fan, GTA or Saints Row fan, hit me up with a vm, I'm always looking to talk to new people for my favourite stuff!

[IMG]http://i43.*******.com/nmgcc9.png[/IMG]
    Credit goes to AvengingAngel for the banner.

Stalling Muchlax@Eviolite
    252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 Att/4 Def
    Careful
    Thick Fat
    -Toxic
    -Protect
    -Selfdestruct
    -Curse
    Totally gets ruined by Taunt, but is quite smart. Curse+Evo thing=good Defense. Toxic to, well Toxic. Protect to stall, Selfdestruct to become a terrorist. You might as well after a taunt.

LOL.
    Is Munchlax the slowest Pokémon in the game?
    Because Slowpoke has 15 base Speed, so I am guessing it is.

Snorlax this week then...

Curselax

-Return
    -Curse
    -Crunch
    -Earthquake
    Nature: Adamant (+Att -Special Att)
    Hold Item: Leftovers

Can take out practically any Pokemon which may switch in to counter it. Ghost Types taken out with Crunch. Steel and Rock Types taken out with Earthquake. Return is a good Normal Type move with added power from STAB (obviously need max happiness). Curse is good boosts Attack and Defence whilst lowering Speed which is pathetic anyways on Snorlax.

Thick Fat is probably Snorlax's best ability reducing the damage from Fire and Ice Type moves. Leftovers is a good Hold Item for Snorlax which is effective with its large amount of Health. Adamant is best nature used as only using physical attacks.
    I claim Porygon!
    9999 Coins. Don't touch what you can't afford!

Heavy bomber could be fun to play with. Snorlax has always been heavy, so having a high powered Steel move could be scary.

Curselax is always good.

Gluttony: You always have Leftovers or a Choice item. Unless you feel compelled to run a Chesto Berry on a Rest set, this is a lacklustre ability.

Other than that, Snorlax doesn't seem to have changed much. Work Up could be used for mixed sweeping I guess, but Curse is still optimal.

Before this goes much further I need to point out Evolite Munchlax takes hits pretty much the same as Snorlax but with worse attack and no Leftovers. Its inferior in every way.

I'll post some sets later. Snorlax is really good.

Nature: Sassy (+ Sp. Defense, - Speed)
    Item: Leftovers/Chesto Berry
    EV: 252HP, 128 Sp. Def/128 Def

Rest
    Sleep Talk
    Brick Break
    Reflect/Light Screen

Use this set for stalling

Quote Originally Posted by TheAwesomeOne View Post
    No Guard, Dynamic Punch Machamp ruins Snorlax.
    Skarmory take Lax as a chance to lay down some Spikes.
    Rotom is a good team mate for Snorlax, easily takes out Skarmory, Burnes the oponent, and takes Fighting type moves with ease.
    Assuming you mean Rotom forms, they are no longer ghost-typed, so with the exception of Rotom-Fan, they can't really take fighting moves. A better partner would be Jellicent, as it is actually ghost-typed, and it has the bulk to take other moves as well.

Quote Originally Posted by torterra275 View Post
    Nature: Sassy (+ Sp. Defense, - Speed)
    Item: Leftovers/Chesto Berry
    EV: 252HP, 128 Sp. Def/128 Def

Rest
    Sleep Talk
    Brick Break
    Reflect/Light Screen

Use this set for stalling
    Snorlax is better off using Return/Body Slam as an attacking move rather than brick break. Also, there are far more viable screen users. I would suggest toxic or whirlwind. Something to make stalling useful, rather than just wasting time.
    FINE. I'LL MAKE A SIGNATURE

My White team:
    Reserves:

I claimed Plusle. I don't know what claiming it does, but I claimed it.

A +6 Att 10th round metronome Helping-Hand boosted Max Attack Victini V-Generate vs. a -6 Def Min. Defense min. HP Paras in Sun does 135516-159432 damage, or 75286.7%-88573.3%

Yay I love snorlax!
    Now let's see...

Curses!!!!!
    Moveset:
    -Body Slam/Return
    -Earthquake/
    -Crunch
    -Curse
    Item: Leftovers
    Nature: Adamant/Impish
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Att
    Best Counters: Skarmory and Bronzong.
    Dectription:
    Snorlax is alot like Blissey, (Chansey now) only more physically defensive, and capabil of having excellent physical attack. This set makes use of that defense which is important because there are even more powerful fighting types in OU (assuming Snorlax will stay in OU.) Even though this set does not specifically focus on Special Defence, Snorlax will still have 225 Special Defence, which is far from bad and acturaly quite good for taking non super effective hits when coupled with it's 524 HP. Keep in mind with this set that Snorlax will have to use Curse a couple times before it can attack anything, but it's huge bulk and growing defence will alow it to take hits from most Pokemon's non super effective moves. This is probably not the best Snorlax set out there, but it's the one I made up.

Thats it.
    Last edited by MyuX3; 14th March 2011 at 1:20 AM.
    My HeartGold Ubers team:

My HeartGold OU team:

My Youtube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/Brightpath937

I'm currently not accepting any battle requests. SORRY! ):

Quote Originally Posted by TheAwesomeOne View Post
    LOL.
    Is Munchlax the slowest Pokémon in the game?
    Because Slowpoke has 15 base Speed, so I am guessing it is.
    It's tied with Shuckle. Also The lowest stat in the game is Shedinja's HP.
    My HeartGold Ubers team:

My HeartGold OU team:

My Youtube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/Brightpath937

I'm currently not accepting any battle requests. SORRY! ):

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast