Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Community POTW #11

Snorlax's best friend is trick room, with 30 base speed, 160 HP, and 110 attack, so here is a trick room set.
    0 Speed
    Brave/252 HP/252 Attack
    -Double-Edge/Return
    -EarthQuake
    -Crunch
    -ZenHeadbutt

Double-Edge and Return are it's main STAB attacks, with Double-Edge working well with it's 160 base HP. Earthquake hits Rock and Steel types, with crunch handling ghost. ZenHeadbutt hits fighting types for super effective damage, since fighting type moves are the only ones that hit super effectively against normal types.

In a double battle, trick room won't need a swap out, so you can take time to set up. Curse and Gluttony/BellyDrum work well, and stockpile can boost both defenses.

In a set without trick room, counter might do some good damage with high HP and low defense, but the problem is finding which move to replace, since moves that usually aren't important for the plan provide STAB or coverage.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

doubles set:

snorlax @ sitrus berry / chople berry / normal gem (no custap until it's released by event, otherwise it'd be slashed here too)
    brave nature
    I'm not real big on lv. 100 ev spreads so help me out here
    return
    crunch
    earthquake / selfdestruct
    protect

return is its best stab that doesn't deal recoil. crunch hits ghosts, but return is stronger than crunch vs most other things that crunch hits se. earthquake hits everything else for neutral/se damage except flying steels or random stuff tied to a balloon I guess. protect can keep it from getting beaten by fighting attacks long enough for a partner to counter.

belly drum can work somewhere in here

hey daveshan custap berry is illegal in standard OU (apparently sixonesix beat me to this but OH WELL)

rest / talk / whirlywinds / body slam is good in uu for spikes shuffling. so is choice band. CB pursuit could be nice in OU for taking out latios but it's really just doing ttar's job... i'd use body slam or return (paralysis or power) / superpower / fire punch / pursuit or crunch if anything. gliscor stopping it kinda sucks though and it's probably less scary than something like cbtar...

lax's problem is that if it invests too much in attack it can't take special hits as well and if it invests in defence(s) then it doesn't hit hard at all... defencive sets should probably take priority though
    Last edited by :wub:disc; 16th March 2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: ok i read two posts, that's good enough
    <-----

Potential Counters
    Fighting Types are rather obvious. Barring Special Sets (Blaziken, Infernape, Lucario, etc.), their STAB will wreck 'Lax in a few shots. After a few Moxie boosts, Scrafty will be a huge threat due to its high defenses.

Psychics with Psyshock are new threats with old faces. Alakazam, Starmie, Espeon, Sigilyph, and other Sweepers can rip into Snorlax without mercy. "Bulky" and "Physical Wall" Psychics (the quotes are there because Psychics with those archetypes are rarely so) like Slowbro, Exeggutor, Gothitelle, and Reuniclus can also utilize Psyshock to target 'Lax's lower Defense with STAB and still outrun the tubster. They have to beware of Crunch if they can't do the job in 1 shot, though.

Barring Ground, Fire, or Fighting Type Moves, Steels will have a field day with Snorlax. Since 'Lax has a veritable array of those Moves, it will be slightly more comfortable, barring Skarmory.

Sheer Force behind many Fighting Type Moves will also be quite painful. Low Kick will deal a serious amount as well.

i would use selfdestruct, return, crunch, and thunderpunch for those annoying water types.
    Gyro ball is a option with focus band or choice scarf for OHKO's.
    Leftovers or chople berry is my item.
    Return is for STAB, Selfdestruct is a last resort, Crunch works for those pesky ghost types, and THUNDAPAWNCH PWNS water types!

i don't know if it can learn thunderpunch, but if it can thats cool.

THIS IS WHAT I USE FOR MY NON-COMPEITVE SNORLAX, and IT WORKS!
    Last edited by spartanlaser; 16th March 2011 at 10:01 PM.
    After a 2 month hatiaus, I'm back!

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-vi...ite-version-2/
    The new forms of Reshi and Zeki.....
    HYBRIDS?

Snorlax can't learn Gyro Ball. Also, on that note, Heavy Slam is not such a good idea either. It offers crap for coverage, and isn't very reliable for power, even with Snorlax's impressive weight. Also...

Quote Originally Posted by ASB View Post
    A cordial single-word message to all who suggest Giga Impact or Hyper Beam: NO.
    Bumping this, because I feel it needs to be repeated.

Countering:Conkeldurr
    awesome attack and stab fighting moves
    Last edited by rukarion; 18th March 2011 at 6:46 PM. Reason: xtras

Wow, I think we have run out of usable movesets for Snorlax.
    I guess it makes sense. It lacks the ability to counter its counters, it's easy to bring down when it already was back in 4th gen, and it's too easy to predict. Even after a Curse, Snorlax is going down to a fighting move with 120+ base power, even sometimes without STAB. Snorlax needed something new to make it awesome, and it failed to receive anything new. Cloyster got Shell Smash, Mamoswine got Icicle Crash, Blaziken got Hi Jump Kick and Speed Boost, even Volbeat's Tail Glow Passing got better because of Tail Glow now boosting special attack three stages. Snorlax has great stats, type, and movepool, but it can't keep up with the metagame. I really hope the next POTW is a 5th gen or something that got a significant boost in the 5th gen.

snorlax I like to use

Fat Man (Adamant) @Leftovers/Chesto Berry
    Thick Fat
    252 Atk 252 Hp 4Def
    ~Sleep Talk / Selfdestruct
    ~Rest
    ~Body Slam / Return
    ~Earthquake / Crunch

He's here on our backs
    [IMG]http://i54.*******.com/4htlog.png[/IMG]
    and in our hearts!
    Check out my Fan-Fic

Spoiler:- image thanks:

Guys, a note I must add: Until the Pinch Berries are released in B/W, they are illegal in online play, according to Smogon rules. Just warning you all who don't want to get flamed like my good friend IRL, who used 1 Pinch Berry and got flamed by pretty much everyone on Smogon.
    Currently working on my first Wi-Fi competitive battling team. Be finished in about a week. If you want to battle, give me a shout-out.
    FC - 1807 1480 3558 Name - Tony
    <-- wtf?

Snorlax
    -block / yawn / Belly drum / attacking move
    -block / yawn / Belly drum
    -substitute
    -focus punch
    Item- leftovers / life orb
    nature- adamant
    252 Atk / 124 Hp / 64 SDef / 68 Def

I was just thinking about a focus punching set
    block is so you can chose what you start to set up on
    yawn acts kinda like spore on breloom
    Belly drum is if you don't think you have enough attack
    Substitute and focus punch are obvious on a focus punching set

Theres not much you can say about Snorlax as it hasn't got any better but in fact got worse due to new threats such as conkeldurr and haxorus and It hasn't gained anything notable apart from some gimick moves such as smack down and bulldoze. I really like Snorlax and he has been quite effective for a while but it has taken quite a few steps down the the ladder.
    The most Superior Snivy. Left, good time here though. I loved this place.

Quote Originally Posted by thelonleystar View Post
    Snorlax
    -block / yawn / Belly drum / attacking move
    -block / yawn / Belly drum
    -substitute
    -focus punch
    Item- leftovers / life orb
    nature- adamant
    252 Atk / 124 Hp / 64 SDef / 68 Def

I was just thinking about a focus punching set
    block is so you can chose what you start to set up on
    yawn acts kinda like spore on breloom
    Belly drum is if you don't think you have enough attack
    Substitute and focus punch are obvious on a focus punching set
    With Stab, Return gos up to 153 power(IFRC), making it slightly more powerful then focus punch, and more reliable since it doesn't fail. However, both return and focus punch can hit almost all pokemon, not counting ghost.

Anyway, this set is easily countered using any pokemon resistant to fighting, and those Def/Sp.def should go to HP. Finally, snorlax has much lower defense, so I don't see why you only gave def. 4 more then sp.def.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123