Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The B/W Monotype Challenge

Default The B/W Monotype Challenge

It has long been a goal of mine to complete a Monotype of every type in a certain generation, but I have never finished. I think BW finally offers an experience I will enjoy enough to finish. That being said, i'd love to start another thread of these as posting my journey is half the fun.

Rules

1. The Pokemon may be double-typed, e.g. Butterfree would be acceptable on both a flying team and a bug team.

2. All the Pokemon must be based around one type. Here's an example of a fire type team:

Emboar
    Simsear
    Heatmor
    Darmamtian
    Volcarona
    Chandelure

3. Ubers may be used but keep in mind this is supposed to be a challenge. A team with both Volcarona and Reshiram wouldn't offer much of a challenge.

4. Your challenge ends upon beating Team plasma, but you are encouraged to go further.

5. You may not have two of the same pokemon or two in the same evolution line (e.g Emboar+Pignite)

6. If you pick a starter that is not of your type, then it may not be used after you have obtained one pokemon of your chosen type.

7. The pokemon may learn moves through TMs.

8. You may have pokemon of another type in your team, but only as HM slaves, NOT to be used in battle.

9. If your type is something that is not present at the beginning, you may trade something over, but once again this is supposed to be a challenge. Please do not teach the traded Pokemon additional moves or attach items prior to being traded.

10. Have fun!!!

PS. I will be doing Ground on my black. And Water on my White. Enjoy.
    Last edited by spra92; 17th March 2011 at 8:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spra92 View Post
    2. All the Pokemon must be based around one type. Here's an example of a water type team:

Emboar
    Simsear
    Heatmor
    Darmamtian
    Volcarona
    Chandelure
    You may want to edit your post and change "water" to "Fire" :]
    I like the idea but how do you start the game with those? or do you just use what you can [not full team] till you get everyone?
    I'm ready for a battle anytime! Can you take me?

1635 6817 6099 Pokemon White
    Black/White
    Wins: 7
    Loss: 2

You're right. And you just slowly build your team. Like if you were a gym leader. I've done it in previous games. It adds a challenge and gets you to use Pokemon that you normally wouldn't.

i may do a grass/dark/fighting monotype.

1.Serperior/Scrafty/Scrafty
    2.Lilligant/Zoroark/Conkeldurr
    3.Whimsicott/Krookodile/Mienshao
    4.Virizion/Bisharp/Virizion
    5.Simisage/Hydreigon/Emboar
    6.Ferrothorn or Sawsbuck(Winter)/Liepard/Terrakion

i really want to do a bug monotype. this is the first generation with multiple decent bug types.

Larvesta
    Joltik
    Durant
    Dwebble
    Sewaddle
    Venipede

and not one Bug/Flying in sight. we really need a good Bug/Water soon though.

I've done multiple Monotype challenges before, so doing one in Black/White will be really fun. I was planning on restarting my Japanese White version anyway, so I'll go ahead and do that. The only problem here is deciding which type of Monotype challenge I wanna do in these games. I usually go with one of the three basic types (Grass/Fire/Water) since finding those types of Pokemon is usually easy. This time around however, things don't look to be very simple. You don't find any wild Grass-type Pokemon until Pinwheel Forest, so I wouldn't want to do a Grass-type challenge. You don't find too many Water-type Pokemon early in the games either. I think I'll do a Fire-type challenge. I figure that it's equally as challenging as some of the other types, but at least I'll get to use Tepig.

I'm reconsidering my starting types. I have decided that since i own both Black and White, but have not completed either (just got them two days ago), I should start both over. That way i could run two playthroughs simultaneously. I would then use on a a hub of sorts for sending all my final Pokemon after I have completed the challenge. Anyone have any thoughts on which to types to start with?

There are just so many really great Grass type Pokémon this gen so It's just crying out for me to do a Mono-type challenge.

Seriously, I could do one grass mono-type challenges with the Pokémon I like and still have some left over, that's how fondly I think of the grass types this gen, it's really what's made me appreciate grass types.

Excluding Serperior and Whimsicott who I will train in my first run throughs my team would be:

Simisage
    Leavanny
    Lilligant
    Maractus
    Sawsbuck
    Amoongus

Gen V really got type distribution right this time around allowing you to have a full team of six for just about every type

I've decided to partake in the Dark challenge on Black and the Normal challenge on White, however, I need a favor. Would anyone be willing to send me a Pawniard egg? Message me if possible, I would send you whatever starter you would like. LMK

This sounds super special awesome! I'm starting a new game on White, and I might do a Dark Monotype Challenge.

Good luck, everyone, on yours!

not starting over, but last night I decided to build an all dragon team, I've never used dragons as my team dating all the way back to blue. right now I have

Hax: level 83
    Dragonite: level 57
    Zweilous: level 50
    Bagon: level 5 (lol)

looking for a gible but I have only seen gabite, getting one of them on GTS has not worked out yet. Trying to decide between Flygon and Druddigon as my 6th.
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 2064-8446-9766

Wanted:
    Bulbasaur,Chikorita,Cyndaquil,Totodile,Treecko
    Torchic,Mudkip,Turtwig,Chimchar,Piplup,Trapinch and eevee.

What I have to trade:
    Snivy, Oshawatt, Tepig, Zorua, Archen, Tirouga, Charmander, Squirtle, Beldum, Riolu, Togepi, Bagon, Gible.

^ for your 6th, DEFINETELY get flygon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ablepsy View Post
    This sounds super special awesome! I'm starting a new game on White, and I might do a Dark Monotype Challenge.

Good luck, everyone, on yours!
    I applaud you for your quote of super special awesome!

Also, I think I might try one of these after I get through a game, plus my scramble. If nothing else, Unova gave us a nice variety of selection for each type, and with my ability to trade eggs and the what not, I'm going to enjoy mono challenges on here. Certainly beats my real life mono challenge
    SoulSilver BQ

Wonderful Banner by Golden Jet!!!!!
    Chapter 9 is up!! (Still Shocking!)

This is so freakin' awesome. I tried to start this within the 4th gen i guess, but it never became a succes as in the 3th gen

I will try with a bug type team. I love the bug types in this region, there is great variety on them. I will pretend to be Alder's apprentice in my version of the game lol

Leavanny
    Scolipede
    Crustle
    Galvantula
    Volcarona
    Durant

Though the last two will take some time to get (I find Karrablast and Shelmet's evo method annoying, so I'm droppin them)

Also I would like to have a dark type team but there are some problems. I have white version, which means that I can't get Mandibuzz by normal means. Zoroark is not needed in this team

Liepard
    Krookodile
    Scrafty
    Bisharp
    Mandibuzz (trade I guess)
    Hydreigon (big challenge to raise...)
    X Version, Friend code
    4098 - 3179 - 9820
    Friend Safari, Rock Type (Rhydon, Pupitar, Boldore)

Default Normal Monotype

I began my Mono-Normal Challenge last night.

Update:
    I awoke early in the morning excited about the great day ahead of me. Today, I would be receiving my first Pokemon and I was excited. At around noon, two of my friends came over to join in on the action.
    As I was opening the bag of Pokemon, I dreamed of receiving a Normal type as it had long been my dream to become a Gym Leader and follow in the footsteps of Lenora. My dream quickly faded when I looked into the bag and saw different types then I had imagined. I quickly picked one at random that looked like a snake and demonstrated my battle prowess against my friends.
    After winning, I decided to it upon myself to go catch a normal Pokemon to begin with and sure enough, within a few steps I stumbled upon a Lillipup. I quickly captured the young puppy and preceded to deposit Snivy. Soon after i also saw a Patrat.While I hate the look of this meerkat, i decided it would make a solid addition to my team and hopefully, it will grow on me.

Pokemon

Lilipup - lvl 8
    Tackle
    Leer
    Odor Slueth
    Bite

Patrat - lvl 7
    Tackle
    Leer
    Bite

I have a question - Anyone know what types are possible to monotype in Gen5 without trading over older pokemon or something? By possible, I mean I could use a full team of 6 evolved pokemon. Like I don't think water is doable since they cut back a lot on Water pokemon this gen.

EDIT: Never mind, I guess you can do water, 8 pokemon to choose from.
    Last edited by Absol89; 17th March 2011 at 9:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Absol89 View Post
    I have a question - Anyone know what types are possible to monotype in Gen5 without trading over older pokemon or something? By possible, I mean I could use a full team of 6 evolved pokemon. Like I don't think water is doable since they cut back a lot on Water pokemon this gen.
    Fighting I think:

Emboar
    Conkeldurr
    Scrafty
    Mienshao
    Throh
    Sawk

Most types are available. The choices are very limited however.

Quote Originally Posted by aggronFTW View Post
    Fighting I think:

Emboar
    Conkeldurr
    Scrafty
    Mienshao
    Throh
    Sawk
    sawk is on black and throh is on white.
    i will do a steel type

my steel team will be:
    Durant
    Escavalier
    Klinklang
    Bisharp
    Ferrothorn
    Excadrill
    Last edited by DarumakkaImposter; 18th March 2011 at 4:40 PM.
    I mod the Smogon Forums. Feel free to ask me any questions!

Ok well I already started my Fire Monotype challenge since I knew that I'd just change my mind if I didn't start soon. I chose Tepig as my Starter Pokemon and then battled Cheren and Bianca in my room. Tepig leveled up from the experience and then I went to Professor Juniper's lab. We all got Pokedexes and headed to Route 1. I learned how to catch Pokemon again and I set off for Accumula Town. I battled several wild Pokemon along the way and healed once I got to the Pokemon Center. I left and found TP in the square and then I battled N and his Purrloin. I won and Tepig leveled up to level 9. I healed once more and then left Accumula Town. I got the Running Shoes from my mom and set off towards Striaton City. Saved.

Current team:

- Tepig level 9

I wish we had 5th Gen smilies. Our team rosters would look cooler with those...

Right now, I'm between multiple teams xD

Electric
    Zebstrika
    Eelektross
    Luxray
    Ampharos
    Jolteon
    Raichu/Electivire

Ghost
    Dusknoir
    Chandelure
    Gengar
    Mismagius
    Drifblim
    Cofagrigus/Froslass

Dark
    Umbreon/Houndoom
    Liepard
    Weaville/Bisharp
    Sharpedo
    Cacturne
    Hydreigon

Ice
    Froslass
    Walrein
    Abomasnow
    Mamoswine
    Weaville
    Glaceon/Jynx

Help me chooooose D;

Hmm, this sounds fun, I might try this eventually. If I do, I'll do either a Water or Bug monotype team.

Water Team
    1. Oshawott/Dewott/Samurott
    2. Panpour/Simipour
    3. Tympole/Palpitoad/Seismitoad
    4. Ducklett/Swanna
    5. Tirtouga/Carracosta
    6. Frillish/Jellicent

Bug Team
    1. Sewaddle/Swadloon/Leavanny
    2. Venipede/Whirlipede/Scolipede
    3. Dwebble/Crustle
    4. Joltik/Galvantula
    5. Durant
    6. Larvesta/Volcarona
    Dimensions of Darkness - on hiatus l Sgt. Froakie - ongoing l Envoy - upcoming

harmoNy - one-shot l The Piplup and Chimchar Variety Hour - on hiatus
    Author's Profile

Latest Chapter (Sgt. Froakie): Chapter 2 - Beware the Cute Ones
    Credit to Astral Shadow for the awesome sig!

Quote Originally Posted by DarumakkaImposter View Post
    sawk is on black and throh is on white.
    i will do a dragon type since dragon is my favorite
    Actually both sawk and throh exist in each game, I've seen them both.

I've always wanted to do a steel monotype... doesn't look like I'll be successful though.

Maybe I'll do one for all types.

Bug:
    1)Sewaddle-Swadloon-Leavanny
    2)Venipede-Whirlipede-Scolipede
    3)Dwebble-Crustle
    4)Karrablast
    5)Shelmet
    6)Durant
    I wont be able to trade so I can't evolve Karrablast and Shelmet. I've already used Joltik and Galvantula in White so that's why they aren't being used, same for Larvesta and Volcarona. And I can't get Genesect.

Dark:
    1)Purrloin-Liepard
    2)Scraggy-Scrafty
    3)Pawniard-Bisharp
    4)Vullaby-Mandibuzz
    5)Deino-Zweilous-Hydreigon
    6)Sandile-Krokorok-Krookodile
    I can't get Zorua or Zoroark so I can't use it. I already uses Sandile, Krokorok, and Krookodile in White but there's nothing else to pick. I'll be playing all these on Black so I can getVullaby and Mandibuzz.

Dragon:
    1)Axew-Fraxure-Haxorus
    2)Druddigon
    3)Deino-Zweilous-Hydreigon
    4)Reshiram
    5)Druddigon
    6)Axew-Fraxure-Haxorus
    I already used Zekrom on White, but I wont be able to get it on Black anyways. Kyurem isn't obtainable till much much later, so I'll just use another Druddigon and Haxorus with different abilities.

Electric:
    1)Blitzle-Zebstrika
    2)Emolga
    3)Tynamo-Eelektrik-Eelektross
    4)Stunfisk
    5)Blitzle-Zebstrika
    6)Joltik-Galvantula
    I can't get Thundurus in Black, or Zekrom, already used Zekrom anyways. I'll use another Zebstrika with a different ability, and I guess I'll just use Galvantula despite having already used it in White.

Fighting:
    1)Timburr-Gurdurr
    2)Throh
    3)Sawk
    4)Scraggy-Scrafty
    5)Meinfoo-Meinshao
    6)Meinfoo-Meinshao
    Keldo and Meloetta I can't use. I think I'll pass on using legendary in this one, so Cobalion, Terrakion, and Virizion are a no. Emboar I'll pass for this one too. I'll use two Meinshaoos.

Fire:
    1)Tepig-Pignite-Emboar
    2)Pansear-Simisear
    3)Darumaka-Darmanitan
    4)Litwick-Lampent-Chandelure
    5)Heatmor
    6)Darumaka-Darmanitan
    Victini I can't get. I'll pass on Reshiram. I'll end up using two Darmanitan, with different abilities.

Flying:
    1)Pidove-Tranquill-Unfezant
    2)Woobat-Swoobat
    3)Archen-Archeops
    4)Ducklett-Swanna
    5)Tornadus
    6)Emolga
    Thundurus, Landorus, Rufflet, and Braviary I can't get. I used Sigilyph in White so I'll pass here. Vullaby and Mandibuzz I rather not use again, so Emolga gets used again instead.

Ghost:
    1)Yamask-Cofagrigus
    2)Frillish-Jellicent
    3)Litwick-Lampent-Chandelure
    4)Golett-Golurk
    5)Frillish-Jellicent
    6)Litwick-Lampent-Chandelure
    I'll be using all the Ghosts in this one. I'll use two Chandelures and Jellicents with different abilities.

Grass:
    1)Snivy-Servine-Serperior
    2)Pansage-Simisage
    3)Cottonee-Whimsicott
    4)Petili-Lilligant
    5)Maractus
    6)Virizion
    Leavanny will be used for bug, Sawsbuck, Amoonguss, and Ferrothorn will be used for their other types. I'll have to trade in-game to get a Petili so I can use it.

Ground:
    1)Drilbur-Excadrill
    2)Tympole-Palpitoad-Seismitoad
    3)Stunfisk
    4)Golett-Golurk
    5)Drilbur-Excadrill
    6)Tympole-Palpitoad-Seismitoad
    Landorus can't be used. I've already use Krookodile in White. So I'll just use two Excadrills and two Seismitoads.

Ice:
    1)Vanillite-Vanillish-Vanilluxe
    2)Cubchoo-Beartic
    3)Cryogonal
    4)Vanillite-Vanillish-Vanilluxe
    5)Cubchoo-Beartic
    6)Cryogonal
    Kyurem can't be used till much later, and there's nothing else but those three so I'll use them all twice.

Normal:
    1)Patrat-Watchog
    2)Lillipup-Herdier-Stoutland
    3)Minccino-Cinccion
    4)Deerling-Sawsbuck
    5)Bouffalant
    6)Minccino-Cinccion
    Meloetta and Braviary can't be used. Unfezant will be used in the Flying team. I don't want to use Audino. So I'll use two Cinccion with different abilities.

Poison:
    1)Venipede-Whirlipede-Scolipede
    2)Trubbish-Garbodor
    3)Foongus-Amoonguss
    4)Venipede-Whirlipede-Scolipede
    5)Trubbish-Garbodor
    6)Foongus-Amoonguss
    Only those three to use, so I'll use them all twice.

Psychic:
    1)Munna-Musharna
    2)Woobat-Swoobat
    3)Sigilyph
    4)Gothita-Gothorita-Gothitelle
    5)Elgyme-Beheeyem
    6)Elgyme-Beheeyem
    Meloetta and Reuniclus can't be used. I'll just use two Beheeyem with different abilities.

Rock:
    1)Roggenrola-Boldore
    2)Dwebble-Crustle
    3)Tirtouga-Carracosta
    4)Terrakion
    5)Roggenrola-Boldore
    6)Dwebble-Crustle
    Can't use Gigalith, and I'll use Carracosta over Archeops.

Steel:
    1)Drilbur-Excadrill
    2)Ferroseed-Ferrothorn
    3)Klink-Klang-Klinklang
    4)Pawniard-Bisharp
    5)Durant
    6)Cobalion
    Genesect and Escavalier can't be used. Nothing else to pick but those.

Water:
    1)Panpour-Simipour
    2)Basculin
    3)Basculin
    4)Tympole-Palpitoad-Seismitoad
    5)Ducklett-Swanna
    6)Alomomola
    Keldeo can't be used. I already used Samurott in White. I'll pass on using Jellicent and Carracosta.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast