Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Your weirdest source of inspiration

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Journeying through Hoenn
    Posts
    4,959

    Default Your weirdest source of inspiration

    The Muses were just one part of ancient Greece's crazy, colourful mythology, but they were an important one. The nine goddesses were seen as a source of knowledge and inspiration for the arts, which included everything from literature, song and theatre to history and astronomy. Writers have called on them, both during their writing process as well as within the literature itself, to guide and inspire.

    I think we can all agree that having a bunch of tiny singing ladies inspiring and narrating our stories or having someone force us to write (NSFW) would be pretty great, but we find other ways to make due.

    Any kind of artist or creator has to keep an open mind when crafting, and inspiration can strike at any time and come from anywhere. You can be inspired by books or movies, by music, by art, by your own experiences, by stories from friends, by conversations you've had (or didn't have!).

    So here's a question: what was the strangest thing you've ever been inspired by? What did you create as a result? Also, what would you recommend to other writers who are looking for inspiration?


    To answer the first question, my latest story idea came from something that happened to me. It's horrendously embarrassing, and speaks to just how gullible I was as a kid, but one of the girls I had gone to camp with convinced me she was a witch. She showed me magic tricks that were literally "if you stand in my closet in the complete darkness your feet disappear!" Wow. But I took this ridiculous incident and used it as a basis for a writing assignment in my scriptwriting class this semester. I banged out a three-page script treatment I'm pretty happy with, whoo!

    As for where to get inspired, my prof went on a good little rant about this in the above-mentioned class, haha. He had some neat suggestions:
    Create environments where you're more open to ideas - get into a state of mind where you can look at familliar things in a new way. Give yourself "walking around time" where you go out and explore new and old environments. And sometimes, inspiration just comes from writing. Sit down and write, and an idea might just come to you.
    ~Psychic

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Breaking the sound barrier
    Posts
    2,154

    Default

    I would definitely say dreams. Dreams have a kind of fantastical and magical weirdness to them that make you creative in ways you didn't even think you were capable of and as long as you can remember what you dreamed and fill in the gaps, you could leverage it into a great story or idea. Another perk is no one's going to attack your for copyright law if you use your own dreams, which is a much nicer perk as opposed to using something from a movie/series/anime/game and then try to rearrange it to make it look like your own idea.

    It may sound silly, but if you want to try this method, keep a dream journal by your bed and write down your dreams as soon as you awaken. And be quick, since dreams evaporate from your mind like a snowball in the Sahara. I've done this dream journal approach and ended up with a... interesting collection of dreams, but there were a few diamonds in the rough that could be refashioned into something cool and interesting.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    2,263

    Default

    ^That's exactly the answer I was going to give. However, expanding it more, simply lying in bed waiting to go to sleep is a great source of inspiration for me. Keeping a notepad on my bedside table has done wonders, since I had consciously noticed that I was getting lots of ideas whilst lying in silence. Not only do I get great ideas, but the ideas/characters/plots/world get fleshed out during this process. It's really the best advice I can give to someone. In fact, since inspiration can come from anywhere at any time, it's the only advice I can give to consciously try to do themselves.
    "Writing doesn't require drive. It's like saying a chicken has to have drive to lay an egg." ~ John Updike


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Digital World
    Posts
    309

    Default

    The BOTs on Twitter give me inspirations and hints about personalities of a canon character. I think very few people even knew about it.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこに始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    704

    Default

    I've dreamed entire poems before. I was lucky to be remember the lines when I woke up.

    | survival project |
    | this trainer is different. everyone knows it, but no one can explain it. |
    | complete |


    | flying in the dark |
    | he's hiding something. she just doesn't know it. |
    | on hiatus|


    | love and other nightmares |
    | limited time, limited abilities. kyurem says she can be cured in exchange for saving those who need saving. |
    | chapter 3 released 11/22/14 |


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Journeying through Hoenn
    Posts
    4,959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger Angel View Post
    I would definitely say dreams. Dreams have a kind of fantastical and magical weirdness to them that make you creative in ways you didn't even think you were capable of and as long as you can remember what you dreamed and fill in the gaps, you could leverage it into a great story or idea. Another perk is no one's going to attack your for copyright law if you use your own dreams, which is a much nicer perk as opposed to using something from a movie/series/anime/game and then try to rearrange it to make it look like your own idea.

    It may sound silly, but if you want to try this method, keep a dream journal by your bed and write down your dreams as soon as you awaken. And be quick, since dreams evaporate from your mind like a snowball in the Sahara. I've done this dream journal approach and ended up with a... interesting collection of dreams, but there were a few diamonds in the rough that could be refashioned into something cool and interesting.
    Derp, how could I forget about dreams! Dreams are a wonderful source of ideas, especially because they're often so wacky and random. That said, dreams can also be molded by movies or games we've watched or played, so dreams aren't 100% guaranteed to be safe either, haha. That said, being inspired by other medias doesn't mean taking a concept and using it for yourself - there are a lot of ways to take something you've seen or read and making it your own without invoking copyright infringement.

    Definitely seconding the dream journal, though! Even if you don't think it'll be useful for your stories, writing them down helps you remember dreams and store them away for later. I have definitely gone back and been surprised by some of my kooky dreams, haha.


    Quote Originally Posted by DANdotW View Post
    ^That's exactly the answer I was going to give. However, expanding it more, simply lying in bed waiting to go to sleep is a great source of inspiration for me. Keeping a notepad on my bedside table has done wonders, since I had consciously noticed that I was getting lots of ideas whilst lying in silence. Not only do I get great ideas, but the ideas/characters/plots/world get fleshed out during this process. It's really the best advice I can give to someone. In fact, since inspiration can come from anywhere at any time, it's the only advice I can give to consciously try to do themselves.
    Keeping a writing journal is just a great practice in general. I used to have one back in '08-09, and just having something on-hand to write any random ideas was pretty great. I just got a new journal and am trying to get back into the habit, but I haven't written much so far. Do you take your notepad with you, or does it stay by your bed at all times?


    ~Psychic

  7. #7

    Default

    Dreams they are such good sources for inspiration, plus for me as I'm dreaming I'm acting it out.

    Mythology and I'm not just talking Greek/Roman Myths. Myths from around the world have great ideas and creatures. Ex Nagas from Hindu Myths, The feathered Serpant from Meso america, Shark gods from Hawaii.


    My life and Family.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    2,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
    Keeping a writing journal is just a great practice in general. I used to have one back in '08-09, and just having something on-hand to write any random ideas was pretty great. I just got a new journal and am trying to get back into the habit, but I haven't written much so far. Do you take your notepad with you, or does it stay by your bed at all times?


    ~Psychic


    I actually have two There is the one on my bedside table which stays there at all times, and then one that travels with me, just in case inspiration strikes while I'm on the bus, or at work, or just sitting in the living room. When I used to work in a very quiet shop, I'd often have time to use my notepad, or even have little scraps of receipt paper with various things on. While going through, I find the odd dud quote, such as "Remember the two tree's you drove past that one time". I remember that I drove past two stunningly decrepit trees that made me think of forest guardians or something of the like, but I have no memory of what the tree's actually looked like. Regardless, I find it's been my best tool. The novel series I'm writing spent a long time (about three to four years) being only in my mind and on scraps of paper, so I can't ever say anything against writing journals

    And yes, WildHennaCharizard, I have to agree. Mythology is a great source of inspiration. Heck, even trying to think of magical creatures for my novel series, all I have to do is search the web for weird and wonderful animal myths and bam!; you're done.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Perhaps the biggest source of inspiration would be a random piece of artwork you could find in the internet or books. It makes me see what kind of worlds or universe the artist sees and what possible society or laws of nature may exist in this particular world. In a sense, it lets me have moment or glimpse of what its like to live in that kind of world. That being said, I tend to save landscape art pieces into my folder if I feel that I could take a piece of that art and incorporate it into my own world. For example, I see an art piece of a clockwork planet, then I start thinking about what its like to live in that place. Hell, there was one time where I thought about living in a meta-world where I could enter multiple worlds like a reader.
    Last edited by Nivinxus; 6th October 2014 at 5:41 AM.
    3DS Friend Code: 3454-0782-1475

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Back among the living
    Posts
    37

    Default

    I'm a pretty impulsive writer so I get my inspiration from all sorts of places. Sometimes it's just a particular view or moment that stays with me, sometimes I hear the right kind of music when I'm the right kind of mood, and sometimes all kinds of weird ideas start spilling in just because I'm having a bout of insomnia and it's been 40+ hours since I last got any actual sleep. Any of those can work. If I were to name my most consistent source of inspiration though, I'd have have to say bad ideas. Not just your run-of-the-mill zero effort generic ideas, mind you; I mean the kind of bad that comes from a place of sincerity, when somebody really felt they had something deep and meaningful to say but they just absolutely tripped over themselves trying to say it or when they tried way too hard to go outside the norm but never followed through with their wild ideas.

    To put it more simply, few things get my creativity going quite like seeing things that just make me stop and go 'what were you thinking?' because that puts me in the mood to think about what an idea like that would need to work, and once I get started on a good thread of thought, I tend to have no problem taking it and just running with it. The best part is that the end result usually has very little (if anything) in common with the thing that inspired it, which means I can sometimes get good workable material even out of old abandoned story scraps, cringeworthy though they can sometimes be.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •