Thread: Have you ever won awards for your stories elsewhere?

Default Have you ever won awards for your stories elsewhere?

I've won a few at conventions. How about you?
    The world's greatest collector as drawn by Yoru Ryu
    Fancy Jirarudan too? Then you'll enjoy my fic Obsession! (updated Dec 30th, 2014)
    It's got its own TV Tropes page!
    Check out some of my other fics!
    Answering Machine, winner of Most Heartbreaking Scene 2013!
    Heart Like A Stone, winner of Most Heartbreaking Fic and 3rd place Best Canon Character-Centric 2014!

Yes, I won second place in a regional poetry contest.

| survival project |
    | this trainer is different. everyone knows it, but no one can explain it. |
    | complete |

| flying in the dark |
    | the epitome of obscurity and innocence, combined |
    | letters 7/8 released 5/28/15 |

| love and other nightmares |
    | limited time, limited abilities. kyurem says she can be cured in exchange for saving those who need saving |
    | chapter 10 released 6/21/15 |

Yep. Braid placed second in an anniversary contest a couple years ago at a board I run. (Tiny place. Still counts, though.) Then you have The Leaf Green Incident, which was the SWC winner over at Pokécommunity back in 2012.

On a slightly more legit level, I've got a similar story to dp: submitted poetry to a regional contest. Scored second place. Got a gift certificate and then decided not to speak of my teenage angst poetry again. *sage nod*

About all I can remember, anyway. You'd think I'd have submitted more of my work to contests, but haha. Well.

A very long time ago (about 2008 or something) I won some kind of commendation at my school for a short story which apparently really impressed the English staff. It was a murder mystery set on a plane bound towards a badminton tournament in Australia. Reading back on it now, I'm guessing it was sorely my grasp on spelling and grammar at that age which got me the award rather than my actual storytelling abilities, which were (and still are) not that great.

Other than that, pretty much nothing. There aren't many competitions of the kind where I live at all - either that or I'm not looking hard enough.
    Last edited by Poetry; 5th September 2014 at 8:44 AM.

Was that really it? Will wondered. Was that what they were all doing, looking for someone less different? Was that what he was doing? Rachel was dynamic and thoughtful and focused and caring and different in more ways than he could count, but the whole point of Rachel, as far as Will was concerned, was that she wasn't him. There was a flaw in Katrina's logic, then. This thing about looking for someone less different ... It only really worked, he realised, if you were convinced that being you wasn't so bad in the first place.

- Nick Hornby

If we're counting original works, I got an Honorable Mention in the Creative Nonfiction category of a university-wide writing contest earlier this year. It was sponsored by the English department of my college [of which I was a student of, but shh, and there were winners from other colleges so yeah]. It was for a travel memoir piece I had written for a CNF class I took last year. A lot of my orgmates won, too, so it was an interesting awards ceremony [if you could even call it a ceremony, but it had free food after so it was a good one XD].

Berries -- Stationary -- Humans of Hoenn -- A Friday -- 24 Months -- Escape Rope
    Trainers of Hoenn (Tumblr version of "Humans of Hoenn")

All images were obtained from Serebii.net.

I won a monthly writing contest challenge over at Fictionpress twice. So yeah.

Also, my freshman year of college there was a play writing contest. I had been in a very postmodernist show earlier that year and I was pretty over postmodernism and wanted to do a kind of "take that" at the movement and the tropes therein, along with the idea of plots that don't do anything and plays that are so wrapped up in their own artistic pretention that people feel compelled to pretend they have a deeper meaning so they can appear cultured and clever. Long story short, I submitted the one-act play, the judge read it completely straight, not as a satire as I intended, and he thought it was brilliant. I would have been a little more irritated if the prize hadn't been a check for $500 so, yeah.
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

lolno

I did get fanfiction of the month on Pokecommunity for Never in the Wrong Time or Wrong Place several years ago, but that didn't exactly come with a trophy and a comically large cheque.
    Claimed: Grovyle - November 10th, 2013
    Completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff4815 View Post
    lolno

I did get fanfiction of the month on Pokecommunity for Never in the Wrong Time or Wrong Place several years ago, but that didn't exactly come with a trophy and a comically large cheque.
    Yes it did. Don't lie. <3

| survival project |
    | this trainer is different. everyone knows it, but no one can explain it. |
    | complete |

| flying in the dark |
    | the epitome of obscurity and innocence, combined |
    | letters 7/8 released 5/28/15 |

| love and other nightmares |
    | limited time, limited abilities. kyurem says she can be cured in exchange for saving those who need saving |
    | chapter 10 released 6/21/15 |

I haven't participated in writing contests because I never know when they are, so I never won any awards, but I've gotten recognition from multiple teachers when it comes to my essays and the like from middle school-on. In fact, in eleventh grade one of our assignments was to write a poem, and my teacher was so impressed with mine she was planning on submitting it to this magazine that publishes writings from young aspiring writers. I had agreed, and I was given the chance to look over what it would look like when published and to sign it saying I approved of it.

Unfortunately, I don't know if it was my teacher who submitted it as such, or the magazine was behind it, but only the first three stanzas out of the twelve stanzas were shown, and that clearly wasn't enough to get the point across in the poem. I was pretty mad about it, so I did nothing with it and it didn't get published. I don't regret passing it up at all.
    Winner of Best Fic of 2014 in the Shipping Oscars
    Forsaken: Chapter 20 - 11/17/14 / Encryption: Chapter 4 - 7/18/15 / Handle with Care: Chapter 10 - 3/17/14

Let's see I think I did back in the year 2000 and something though I can't remember where I won, I use to write a story about my childhood crush - my mentors/teachers were really touched i think with what I wrote and they said that it was excellent for a 10 year old kid to do something like that

And now this skill is no longer with me, but alas it was a great experience for myself
    Well done and unexpectedly, Kumiko and Shuichi gets together at the end of the novel. Childhood friends are really trends huh

They're the same
        Spoiler:- nothing here:

There's nothing to see here

Besides a third place in a PC SWC comp for a story I felt I did rush/didn't quite hit what I wanted (which I've otherwise judged), and maybe a category for writing in its MotY awards, no. Haven't really entered much besides things here (the fic awards, and also one of the writing theme competitions here years ago. Somewhere middling for the one I did enter (theme of tragedy).

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Fandex! Browse/upload Pokemon Fanworks!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current Article: Game Plot Analysis - The Johto Games! Better or worse?
    Previous Article: What Iwata Contributed to Pokemon. RIP, Iwata. =(
    Avatar: minty-fivestar on DA, edited background/cropping. Fic banner: cieux.

My primary school had poetry and story competition, I won the first on when I was in Year 4 and came runner-up in Year 5.
    I have claimed

A couple of stories of mine (Playfield and Misaimed for Life) have gotten 3rd places in Pokécommunity's SWC contests (hey there, bobandbill ) and in one Spanish-speaking Pokémon forum or two where I submitted the Spanish version of Playfield. Interestingly enough, it seems I'm locked into getting third place whenever I feel like submitting my stories to a contest. If that statistically means something... I dunno.
    Writing what the Pokémon canon lacks since 2010!

Published Writing
    SixthPlayfieldBuilt for RiskSilly human, romance is for Nidoran~
    » Serebii Catalog ÷ FF catalog «
    Coming Up
    Counterparts in Crime -- Interim -- Built for Risk [complete] -- Scalar 2.0 -- Codename: Cardinal -- untitled hyperfiction

Can help with: character development
    Can't help with: getting rich fast™ schemes.