Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Shonen Jump Thread

Sasuke Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drTomoe123
    In the Shonen Jump preview of I"s, sound effects were placed over one of the last scenes where it shows the Ichitaka about to grab Iori's butt.

There was an even worse edit in the actual GN, a set of s being replaced with two stars, which has caused me to boycott the title. When Viz licensed I"s, they sent it to the Shonen Jump Advanced line, which was presumably for teenagers, and they still edited it anyway, while Video Ai kept the similar scenes.
    Thanks for warning me about the stupid edits. I was just about to go buy an "I's" Graphic Novel, but now that you have warned me I am going to save my money.
    But you know what, the edits could be worse. Look at the One Piece Manga, and then watch the dubbed Anime, you will see what I mean.

As for the rest of the magazine, I thought that this months was pretty good. I liked how the ending of YuGiOh left me on the edge of my seat. And One Piece was awsome. I dont remember the others well enough to review them though.

Overall I really liked this issue, however, the magazine has gotten smaller and smaller. I compaired last June's issue to this June's and it is signifigantly smaller. I wish they would add more chapters to stories or add another Manga. It just seems like the magazine gets smaller every issue.

It's funny how Shonen Jump used to be just about perfect when it first started up. They were a teen focused magazine. Now they seem to be focusing more on the younger kids when clearly alot of the manga aren't intended for children (such as I"s and early Yu-Gi-Oh!). This is reminding me too much of when Dragon Ball first began to get censored. People complained to change it back to being uncensored and Viz went ahead and slapped a "13 and Up" sticker on each book. Why can't they do this? :| It's bad enough some of the edits are carrying over to the graphic novels (so much for hoping Mr. Satan would keep his original name rather than Hercule in the GN, despite Viz clearly stating that his original name in Japan is Mr. Satan).
    Yeah, same with Naruto. Though I probably am more mad at the fact that Naruto used to have words like "***" and "screwed" while those kind went to a bare minium. And I keep worrying if Viz will literally edit the context of Naruto, Dragon Ball, etc.

"Say hello to my little friend!."

Something like Gohan stating to Cell "I'm not impressed.." in the original (which took up a whole word bubble for the entire Japanese text) ended up becoming "Woopie!" in the English version which left a big *** word balloon for something as tiny as that. o_O;; It'd be nice if Viz would quit having some manga follow the standards of the dub anime and just TRANSLATE the damn manga.

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

Well I'm a UK collecter (which means I'm still waiting for my copy of May's issue to arrive) but I do agree. Shonen Jump was really good to begin with but now it is just about selling it to the kids. I look at my collection and see in terms of front covers:

Yu-gi-oh: 14
    Dragonball: 7
    Naruto: 3
    Shaman King: 3
    One Piece: 1
    Yu Yu Hakusho: 1

(my flatmate is borrowing the May and June 2004 issues so can't count their covers)

Hmm.. seem biased at all? Also the April Issue was tiny in comparison to all of the ones last year. I had a huge amount of suport behind viz and shonen jump back in 2003/2004 but this year most of all they've run it into the ground.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy Yu-Gi-Oh but I prefer Hikaru No Go, Shaman King, One Piece and Naruto about a 100 fold and Yu Yu Hakusho about 50 times as much. Also just about the entire thing is Yugioh theme'd with articles about new cards and stuff getting huge attention whilst other thinks are missed.

I also really dislike the subscription gifts thing as it just really annoys me. Obelisk the Tormentor if you subscribe etc. Oh look you can only subscribe if you live on the other side of the Atlantic.

Finally ending my rant weren't we promised a Shojo release similair to Shonen Jump at the start of the year? what happened to that?

EDIT: Just went ot Viz's site and saw the section for Shojo Beat. My bad.
    Last edited by Eon Chao; 8th May 2005 at 2:15 PM.

I don't see the point in censoring the magazine after all there is a rated teen label on the magazines.

Also about the I's censoring of the nipples is just in one scene or is it numerous times?
    95% of the serebi population believes that if you cheat, you're a n00b who can't play. if you are one of the 5% who believe differently, and want all the people who call cheaters n00bs to burn, copy and paste this in your signature. Started by pikachu_kingif you think nintendo should do a remake of g/s copy and paste this into your sig (started by kyogrekyle)

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Elric
    It's funny how Shonen Jump used to be just about perfect when it first started up. They were a teen focused magazine. Now they seem to be focusing more on the younger kids when clearly alot of the manga aren't intended for children (such as I"s and early Yu-Gi-Oh!). This is reminding me too much of when Dragon Ball first began to get censored. People complained to change it back to being uncensored and Viz went ahead and slapped a "13 and Up" sticker on each book. Why can't they do this? :| It's bad enough some of the edits are carrying over to the graphic novels (so much for hoping Mr. Satan would keep his original name rather than Hercule in the GN, despite Viz clearly stating that his original name in Japan is Mr. Satan).
    On the other hand, though, in Hercule's debut chapter, someone mentioned how his nickname was Mr. Satan (but I guess that doesn't count.)

Also, they really shouldn't over-edit any manga that is T+ (or else it wouldn't be T+ now, would it?). It really depends on the edit.
    Reminder from August 09, 2010- Name my future Reshiram "Griffin"...

My Current HeartGold Team:

If you want, look at Yu-Gi-Oh! C,Pokiman, and Naruto C, but they haven't exactly been updated recently...

STILL REJECTING PMs. SORRY. (No offense to anyone.)

drTomoe123 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Black Angel
    I don't see the point in censoring the magazine after all there is a rated teen label on the magazines.

Also about the I's censoring of the nipples is just in one scene or is it numerous times?
    It was just in once scene so far, but there are MANY more nipples in the later parts of the series, plus a joke referring to the scene in the first volume.

I just hate it when the American manga companies try to tell us just what is suitable for us to see and read.

Something like Gohan stating to Cell "I'm not impressed.." in the original (which took up a whole word bubble for the entire Japanese text) ended up becoming "Woopie!" in the English version which left a big *** word balloon for something as tiny as that. o_O;; It'd be nice if Viz would quit having some manga follow the standards of the dub anime and just TRANSLATE the damn manga.
    That reminds me of Shikamaru's lines. Like when he and Chouji were thinking about how to get Naruto awake, Shikamaru was yellin for reason. He also said "Blast". Waay to OOC for me. Hell, only One Peice seems to be the good dubbing process.

Heh, joining the 'Dark Side' now are we Riaf?

Seriously though, U.S. Shonen Jump was really good when it first came out. I remember just randomly picking it up at Krogers and flipping it open to read YU-GI-OH! I'm gonna be honest with you, I had heard that the original reason was pretty damn violent and crap, but I was still a bit shocked at it. Shonen Jump still pretty much kept their manga intact really well, but I find it annoying as hell that they are turning into this... well, kid-oriented and screwing-around-with-the-manga publisher. It really pisses me off noawadays, and all I can say is '**** you' to anyone who says that we shouldn't complain about Viz's manga translations. -.-

I also find that the edit for I's just plain stupid. I'm not going to pick it up because I'm not into any romance-oriented manga, but to edit out just things like nipples when it comes to the GN is dumb. I mean, why edit that while still keep a lot nudity in something like Dragon Ball which is probably going to get a lot more views?

Oh well; I still subscribe to them, for whatever reason. But I can say that if I praise them for anything, it would be their releases for Rurouni Kenshin. The most popular Shonen Jump Manga in the US and it gets translations really well. Hmm... any correlation there? Meh, plus I like their monthly releases and that they don't edit/change anything in it; I wish that they would do that with their other mangas.

in the moment of ultra-light
    when the fire burns black
    & each & every second in the flame
    we divide & sub-divide &
    each time a cell splits off we
    become a new flesh - a new flesh
    a new self - a new self
    into infinity

Heh, joining the 'Dark Side' now are we Riaf?
    What's that supposed to mean?

You know what the funny thing about the I"s edits are? They choose to censor the nipples there..but left ALL of Bulma's chest intact when they were bringing over Dragon Ball. Considering how kid targeted the Dragon Ball franchise is here, they chose to leave that untouched yet choose to edit a manga directly targeted for teens. Why?

You know what the funny thing about the I"s edits are? They choose to censor the nipples there..but left ALL of Bulma's chest intact when they were bringing over Dragon Ball. Considering how kid targeted the Dragon Ball franchise is here, they chose to leave that untouched yet choose to edit a manga directly targeted for teens. Why?
    You know, it one of those things that always will puzzle us.

also in the DBZ manga, they edited middle fingers

Viz's standards are greatly messed up. They'll allow everything in Dragon Ball despite changing the hell out of some lines that end up becoming confusing (at one point Oolong mentions Chichi had a hick accent..when the manga failed to properly give her and Goku the accent).

What's funny is that they went ahead and used the original names for the attacks and gave a small explanation of the attacks literal name meaning in English during Dragon Ball. Yet they go about not following suit with Naruto. o_O

drTomoe123 Guest

Viz's standards are greatly messed up. They'll allow everything in Dragon Ball despite changing the hell out of some lines that end up becoming confusing (at one point Oolong mentions Chichi had a hick accent..when the manga failed to properly give her and Goku the accent).

What's funny is that they went ahead and used the original names for the attacks and gave a small explanation of the attacks literal name meaning in English during Dragon Ball. Yet they go about not following suit with Naruto. o_O
    Viz's inconsistency disgusts me.

I LOVE Viz's version of Rurouni Kenshin. It leaves the original kanji used for the attack names while having TWO translations of the attack next to it (romaji and literal translation). It leaves honorifics and basically everything else. Sure, there are a few typos, but that's it.

Then, we have titles like Naruto and Whistle! We all know about Naruto, but Viz's overall translation of Whistle! is TERRIBLE. Worldwide soccer superstars are commonly named wrong and misspelled, brands are changed ('Mizuno', an inside joke, is changed to 'Tatsuya"??), and soccer terms are *******ized. (I don't know ANYTHING about soccer, but dang, a four-year old could point these mistakes out!) Whistle! is such a great manga with the very inner workings of the shounen spirit, but Viz's presentation of it really doesn't do it justice.

What makes it even worse, Viz's shoujo and Editor's Choice titles ALL get better translation and treatment than the Shonen Jump/Shonen Jump ADVANCED lines, plus the added bonus of being UNCENSORED. Video Girl Ai, by the same author as I"s and published by Viz, had uncensored nipples, but happened to be in the Editor's Choice line, if I remember correctly.

It might have to do with the different editors for each of the series (if so, let's get Kenshin's editor to work on every SJ series. ;D), so they need to have a big meeting and get this stuff straightened out.

Viz just needs to realize that this isn't 1998 anymore, manga is more mainstream than they could ever imagine it would be back then, and it doesn't need to be censored.

Heheh, you don't want to get me started on Tenjou Tenge. ;D

I didn't even know that viz would edit manga, but there was some go reason. Some words are change for american reader could understand them.
    There is the Shaman King editing of Ponchi's I can't said.

Quote Originally Posted by P-fan
    There is the Shaman King editing of Ponchi's I can't said.
    What's hilarious is how they even MENTIONED that tanooki were viewed as having large testicles in one of their articles long ago during part of YuYu Hakusho (I think it was) yet they go about editing away any reference to 'em.

Why would they have ANY reason to edit the Manga? The comics released are to allow us enjoy the original story and such, I feel just so, mortified when I'm not allowed to take the true whole of my faveriot comics, just because the Animé has a certain [dub version] standard to go by, I'm also-displeased by the handling of the Yu-Gi-Oh! comic and how it was rearranged to become split into certain series, i.e. when the last chapter of Volume seven was place in the begining of V8/D1.

I'm also displeased as how One Piece seems to get top priority in the Monthly Jump magizine, with issue thirty, OP has FOUR CHAPTER4444444444444444444444444 This displeased me as HnG and Shaman King are the two comic that really need polishing.

If I had some sort of positing with Viz, I'd make Jump weekly here in the states and possibly Canada, depending on sales, and collect all SJ releated titles and releasing 1-2 chapter a week, that way are issues like the Weekly JPN ones, 450 pages long! And they should also color code the pages by genre, like in a Weekly Jump magizine my friend was borrowing from a friend.

Please don't tell me tPot and Bleach are getting edited too....(meaning tell me so).

~Yuugis Black Magician

Ichijin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Yuugis Black Magician
    Why would they have ANY reason to edit the Manga? The comics released are to allow us enjoy the original story and such, I feel just so, mortified when I'm not allowed to take the true whole of my faveriot comics, just because the Animé has a certain [dub version] standard to go by, I'm also-displeased by the handling of the Yu-Gi-Oh! comic and how it was rearranged to become split into certain series, i.e. when the last chapter of Volume seven was place in the begining of V8/D1.

I'm also displeased as how One Piece seems to get top priority in the Monthly Jump magizine, with issue thirty, OP has FOUR CHAPTER4444444444444444444444444 This displeased me as HnG and Shaman King are the two comic that really need polishing.

If I had some sort of positing with Viz, I'd make Jump weekly here in the states and possibly Canada, depending on sales, and collect all SJ releated titles and releasing 1-2 chapter a week, that way are issues like the Weekly JPN ones, 450 pages long! And they should also color code the pages by genre, like in a Weekly Jump magizine my friend was borrowing from a friend.

Please don't tell me tPot and Bleach are getting edited too....(meaning tell me so).

~Yuugis Black Magician
    Uh... making the USSJ weekly is pretty near impossible- Weekly Shonen Jump in Japan sells exponentially more than Shonen Jump in the states. Just look at what happened to Raijin- they were a weekly US manga mag (with great titles to boot!), but nobody even noticed they existed. What happened? They went bankrupt. Plus WSJ has more than twice the number of titles that SJ has, making it easier to publish a magazine of that length. It just wouldn't work.

RaquazaMaster Guest

heh, Biiig collecter. have all issues cept Zero.
    My Rating for this months Issue:
    I"S (Preivew): Its AWSOME!!!!! i want the GN's of it but my mom probly wouldent let me... 100000/10 (Heh, Normal mark 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000/10 but some o the pics aint fully.... ya know)
    Yugioh: Hehe, Obelisk... MUAHAHAHAHA 10/10
    Shaman king: They could make it longer... But they need SOME suspence in it 9/10
    YuYu Hakusho:I havent read it yet but... 10/10 (jus cuz i like it in particular)
    Hikaru No Go:That was close...

Anyopne with the GN for I"S, is it worth Getting? or do the censors make it useless?

EDIT: HEY!! Maybe we can create a Petition. Everyone who signs agrees that shonen jump should take out ALL edits, so its like they are coming strait from japan.... If you like this idea PM me and we'll talk about it.
    Last edited by RaquazaMaster; 14th May 2005 at 8:59 AM.

That's why I said gather all Jump titles (GN and all) and post a chapter a week I mean God, they seem to have enought titles to do a weekyl magizine, that is if they are gonna do it, but I guess I can thrwo that idea down the drain.

Did anyone get the full I"s GN just cause they were P'Oed that it ended so soon? I know I did. I got it. all the junk they had in the monthly is in the drain

Hikaru no Go is awexome!
    Last edited by Citrus Man; 14th May 2005 at 11:08 PM.
    *expletive deleted*

You kow, after thinking about it, shouldn't we just blame the staff members working on the comics?

Quote Originally Posted by Yuugis Black Magician
    You kow, after thinking about it, shouldn't we just blame the staff members working on the comics?
    Yeah! But hey the next isuees come out June 7.

Shadow Xino Guest

Shaman King - I have all the volumes out so far

in #6

Spoiler:

That's pretty much old news, seeing as how most of us have just read the magizine. Has anyone gotten their issue 31 yet? Spoil 'way.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast