Page 38 of 82 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 5th Gen. EV/IV (Training) Thread

I am looking to get into EV Training with these pokes:

Charmander(Lonely, Shiny)
    Cyndaquil
    Egg move Riolu(Relaxed, Blaze Kick, Vacuum Wave, Hi Jump Kick, Bullet Punch)
    Pawniard
    Larvesta
    Tepig

I would like to know the basics, like where to Train them, in what stats, With Pokerus??, What Battle Subway EV Training item to use)

Help would be appreciated
    Pokemon White Player Name(Josh)
    Pokemon White FC(0003-3640-7620)

Pokemon Pearl Player Name(DAWN)
    Pokemon Pearl FC(0432-8514-2283)

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.(I saw this and thought I should join in)

75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature. (Started by SkittyLover77)

Quote Originally Posted by foxyman1167 View Post
    I'm guessing the egg trick where you could save and always get the same ability / nature, but the IVs would change is gone now. I tried it several times, but it didn't work.

What is the best way to check the IVs of a pokemon, other than using the Battle Subway.
    Like I said on the previous page :P http://pokecheck.kraftpaper.org/ works really well, and it's relatively quick, I use it for when I'm hatching eggs. You have to click the image of the Pokemon to see the in depth info.
    Shiny Hunt:
    (RE/April 9) (RNGMay 6) (Future RNG)
    (Future RNG) (MMing) (Future MM)
    (Future RNG Egg) (Future RNG Egg)

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistixz View Post
    hmm, what is the best EV layout for a haxorus with a Jolly nature?

and likewise wats the best EV layout for a haxorus with adament nature?

if its jolly should i go for 252 speed and 252 atk just so it can be hella fast or 252 atk and 252 HP for bulk? same thing with adament, speed or bulk?

and which nature is considered better, adamant or jolly?
    Jolly, get the jump on others with Dragon Dance.

Go for max Attack and max Speed, Haxorus is not a pokemon built for bulk.
    Laurence | Rock
    3325-1721-6092
    Onix | Shuckle | Nosepass

Quote Originally Posted by kazzar View Post

Cyndaquil
    Pawniard
    Larvesta
    Tepig

I would like to know the basics, like where to Train them, in what stats, With Pokerus??, What Battle Subway EV Training item to use)

Anyone have any advice for an EV training noob

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.(I saw this and thought I should join in)

75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature. (Started by SkittyLover77)

I've got a couple questions. First, I know there is a ten vitamin cap on pokemon, but does that apply to every stat, or just one? So, could I give a poke 10 Proteins and 10 Irons, or just 10 of one?
    And also, how can you determine a poke's IV stats? I've read the IV page and I couldn't make sense of it.

@Zombomb: You can give vitamins in as many stats as you want. It is for example possible to give 10 vitamins in five different stats, and thus fill up almost every EV of your pokémon, even though this is not advisable. 10 is max in each stat.

When it comes to checking IVs, there are several methods. I find this one mostly useful: First, talk to the guy with the blue hair in battle subway, he will tell you your pokémon's overall potential and its best stat(s). Then, if you're pleased with what he says, take it to the subway; it will automatically be leveled up to lv.50. Insert stats, nature, potential EVs here http://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcdp.shtml , and get a pretty accurate answer. If you don't like the battle subway method, you can level up against Audinos, I guess.
    Also, marriland's stat calculator can give you a pretty good indication of IVs: http://pokemon.marriland.com/stat

There are several good EV-training guides with hotspots for BW. Here's a pretty nice and basic one for those who wonder where to EV-train:
    http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/4973...ining-guide/#6
    Current HG BQ:
    RE route 32

hung from the underbelly of the earth,
    while the stars skid away, below,
    gormless and brakeless, gravel-loose,
    falling silent as gavels in the snow

Anyone have any advice for an EV training noob
    This page will answer all questions about where to train the pokes in which stat and how EVs work.....
    http://www.serebii.net/games/evs.shtml

In answer to your question you can check Smogon on which way to EV train certain pokemon. e.g. your Charmander will eventually become a Charizard who has good base SpA and Speed stats so you would train him with 252SpA/252Speed/4HP. For this you would train him against certain pokemon using certain items or pokerus which are all explained in the link.

You can do the research on the other pokes yourself but I would advise less Fire types.

IVs are randomly calculated when a poke is hatched/encountered. 31 is the max IV a poke can have and they are difficult to calculate(the easiest way imo is to go to the battle institute and it will bring them to level 50 and then enter there stats in this calculator.... http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculators/IV.aspx

It can all be hard to take in in one go so it may be an idea to postpone IV breeding and EV training until your fully aware of what to do.
    I have for trade

UT Adamant Magikarps with perfect Speed IVs
    UT Modest Larvesta with perfect SpA IVs
    UT Jolly Axews with perfect Speed IVs
    UT Relaxed Pinecos with perfect Defence IVs

ALL LEGIT!!

Looking for good bulky/annoyer/lead pokemon.
    Im open to suggestions so just PM me if you wanna trade and you got something good to offer.
    NO HACKS!!! Please.

I f**king love Cloyster

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistixz View Post
    hmm, what is the best EV layout for a haxorus with a Jolly nature?

and likewise wats the best EV layout for a haxorus with adament nature?

if its jolly should i go for 252 speed and 252 atk just so it can be hella fast or 252 atk and 252 HP for bulk? same thing with adament, speed or bulk?

and which nature is considered better, adamant or jolly?
    252Atk/252Speed ALWAYS! I dont think Haxorus was ever made with anything other than hitting hard and fast in mind. I prefer a Jolly one as his base attack 147(I think) is already outrageous. Speeding him up to outspeed other pokes is the problem as if he takes one or two hits hes down for the count.
    I have for trade

UT Adamant Magikarps with perfect Speed IVs
    UT Modest Larvesta with perfect SpA IVs
    UT Jolly Axews with perfect Speed IVs
    UT Relaxed Pinecos with perfect Defence IVs

ALL LEGIT!!

Looking for good bulky/annoyer/lead pokemon.
    Im open to suggestions so just PM me if you wanna trade and you got something good to offer.
    NO HACKS!!! Please.

I f**king love Cloyster

I decided to randomly breed a Haxorus and got a baby axew.
    Careful with IV spread of 31/22/26/7/10/31
    I'm going to EV train it with a spread of 252 Atk/252 spd/6 HP
    what do you think
    [IMG]http://i53.*******.com/1z1d54y.png[/IMG]

Spoiler:- FC:

Spoiler:- Team Enchanted Garden:

Spoiler:- pending trades:

Quote Originally Posted by pokefielder View Post
    I decided to randomly breed a Haxorus and got a baby axew.
    Careful with IV spread of 31/22/26/7/10/31
    I'm going to EV train it with a spread of 252 Atk/252 spd/6 HP
    what do you think
    The IVs are alright, though it wouldn't take too much longer to do better. I'd not use that one mainly because of the nature to be honest.

Take that axew, give it the power anklet to hold and breed it with a jolly ditto, having the ditto hold an everstone (or anything else in its egg group that's jolly). Every axew you get will be 50% jolly and 100% keep that nice IV in speed. All that you got to do then is wait for a 31 in attack and you're set. Shouldn't take too long

Quote Originally Posted by Brianocerous View Post
    252Atk/252Speed ALWAYS! I dont think Haxorus was ever made with anything other than hitting hard and fast in mind. I prefer a Jolly one as his base attack 147(I think) is already outrageous. Speeding him up to outspeed other pokes is the problem as if he takes one or two hits hes down for the count.
    Not to mention you'll outspeed all those Hydreigon who decide to invest in a modest or adamant nature (as many do) for an easy KO

Cyndaquil
    Pawniard
    Larvesta
    Tepig

Although there's far too much to say about each of those in turn, I will say this: as a general rule, do NOT use a -speed nature on a pokemon unless its speed is so horrible that it can benefit from it (users of gyro ball are generally the only exception). In a game where most offensive pokemon go down in 2-3 decent hits, whoever gets that first hit in will most likely win. The four "main" sweeper natures are adamant, jolly, modest and timid and if you're not using one of those natures, you should have a good reason for it.
    Also, just like to say that that riolu (lucario) won't be able to do anything to gliscor even if its life depended on it and gliscor is a very popular pokemon. you might want to rethink that set.
    Last edited by Sizerdrix; 29th April 2011 at 1:02 AM.
    On #SPP and #SPP-wifi as Bidoof

<Hydregion> I have REAL proof from BULBAPEDIA that Arceus made the universe

White FC: 3911 6724 1283

I maxed the evs on one of the stats of my pokemon I'm ev training. Those 252 evs are the only ones it has right now. Now I can either use rare candies or the daycare to level the pokemon to see what it's stats would be at higher levels, yes?

That'll help me see what stats it could use help in.

November 2001 - February 2005

[IMG]http://i53.*******.com/2ur1emc.png[/IMG]

v--Current Black 2 Team--v
    Lilwun lv34 Maiden lv37 Grandage lv40 Crash lv40 Elizabeth lv32 Ballarina lv30

Might be the wrong place to put this in, but i just caught a male shiny Litwick, that has a rash nature and flash fire as a ability, what eves should I dump into it? sp attack and speed?
    Proudly owned shinys:
    :3

Quote Originally Posted by silentshadow View Post
    Might be the wrong place to put this in, but i just caught a male shiny Litwick, that has a rash nature and flash fire as a ability, what eves should I dump into it? sp attack and speed?
    Yes, that would be alright, for such a Pokemon. :P Congratulations on getting it, BTW.

Use 252 Sp Attack, 252 Speed and 4 HP EVs.
    Subscribe for Pokémon, Sonic, League of Legends, and more Videogame antics! c:

Speedruns:
    Sonic Lost World Any% - TBD (WR is ??? by DsS) (Wii U)
    Bible Adventures (Baby Moses) - TBD (WR is 1:53 by Flower Time) (NES)
    Ratchet & Clank 3 UYA - TBD (WR is 1:27:19 by insomniacnintendo) (PS2/3)
        Spoiler:- ILs (Individual Levels):

Quote Originally Posted by Brianocerous View Post
    This page will answer all questions about where to train the pokes in which stat and how EVs work.....
    http://www.serebii.net/games/evs.shtml

In answer to your question you can check Smogon on which way to EV train certain pokemon. e.g. your Charmander will eventually become a Charizard who has good base SpA and Speed stats so you would train him with 252SpA/252Speed/4HP. For this you would train him against certain pokemon using certain items or pokerus which are all explained in the link.

You can do the research on the other pokes yourself but I would advise less Fire types.

IVs are randomly calculated when a poke is hatched/encountered. 31 is the max IV a poke can have and they are difficult to calculate(the easiest way imo is to go to the battle institute and it will bring them to level 50 and then enter there stats in this calculator.... http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculators/IV.aspx

It can all be hard to take in in one go so it may be an idea to postpone IV breeding and EV training until your fully aware of what to do.
    Thanks for that

Quote Originally Posted by Sizerdrix View Post
    Although there's far too much to say about each of those in turn, I will say this: as a general rule, do NOT use a -speed nature on a pokemon unless its speed is so horrible that it can benefit from it (users of gyro ball are generally the only exception). In a game where most offensive pokemon go down in 2-3 decent hits, whoever gets that first hit in will most likely win. The four "main" sweeper natures are adamant, jolly, modest and timid and if you're not using one of those natures, you should have a good reason for it.
    Also, just like to say that that riolu (lucario) won't be able to do anything to gliscor even if its life depended on it and gliscor is a very popular pokemon. you might want to rethink that set.
    I know it aint the greatest set, but I felt like those at the time. And since I plan on going to the VGC's in june, I need some awesome gen 5 pokes

Hello! I am EV training a FLawless Adamant Gligar/Beldum (Both shiny). And I was wondering what would be best to EV train them in? I dont want to screw them up
    White FC: 2623-2680-3610
    Shinies for trade!!!
    Dialga Modest
    Charizard Docile
    Magnemite Hardy UT
    Gyrados UT quirky
    Gyrados Gentle
    metagross Adamant (only been ev in attack)
    Jolteon Timid Ev speed/spec attk
    Mienshao lv 50 bold UT
    UT virizion jolly
    lv 100 hitmonchan gentle T
    Eevee serious UT wish,yawn
    Entei adamant UT Event
    SUicune relaxed UT event
    For serious offers only (Flawless UT shiny DW vulpix)
    Lv 100 volcarona Naive Speed/spc attk. Flawless spec attk and speed.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobwilliamgray View Post
    Hello! I am EV training a FLawless Adamant Gligar/Beldum (Both shiny). And I was wondering what would be best to EV train them in? I dont want to screw them up
    Well the best nature for a Gliscor 5th gen would be impish, but Adamant could provide a nice surprise for unexpecting players, and plays off Gliscor's good attack stat:

Gliscor:
    244 HP, 192 ATK, 72 SPE.
    HP is to give it some bulk, which it is good at doing due to some nice defense. Gliscor is quite fast, so investing in speed is a nice option. Attack is a given. Feel free to take out some HP and add to ATK or SPE if you like.

Metagross:
    252 HP, 252 ATK
    Metagross with adamant nature wants to fully max out its attacking power, while also being able to take a few hits, hence the HP. Metagross has some nice natural bulk, which we're playing on here. You can take out some HP and put it into Speed if you desire, depends on your playstyle imo. I'd recommend a Choice Band or Choice Scarf for this set, to maximise it's sweeper-nature.

Good luck, and ask any questions you have about the EV spread I put up. =D
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/rh4od5.jpg[/IMG]
    Currently Playing: Killzone 3, Atelier Rorona, LBP2
    Upcoming: MotorStorm: Apocalypse, Brink, Uncharted 3

Currently Watching:
    FMA: Brotherhood, Spice and Wolf, Pokemon,

Quote Originally Posted by Sizerdrix View Post
    The IVs are alright, though it wouldn't take too much longer to do better. I'd not use that one mainly because of the nature to be honest.

Take that axew, give it the power anklet to hold and breed it with a jolly ditto, having the ditto hold an everstone (or anything else in its egg group that's jolly). Every axew you get will be 50% jolly and 100% keep that nice IV in speed. All that you got to do then is wait for a 31 in attack and you're set. Shouldn't take too long

Not to mention you'll outspeed all those Hydreigon who decide to invest in a modest or adamant nature (as many do) for an easy KO

ok sounds good. Will do that now.

Ok so I'm EV training a Hydregion in special attack. It got the brace for special attack and I killed a certain amount of litwicks but when it leveled up the special attack stat only went up +4. I'm sure it had to go up more. I am new to EV training in 5th generation (i have done it in 4th). And also how do u spread pokerus since I have forgotten? lol

Quote Originally Posted by *IZ* View Post
    Ok so I'm EV training a Hydregion in special attack. It got the brace for special attack and I killed a certain amount of litwicks but when it leveled up the special attack stat only went up +4. I'm sure it had to go up more. I am new to EV training in 5th generation (i have done it in 4th). And also how do u spread pokerus since I have forgotten? lol
    Even though you EV-train in a certain stat to the degree that it should in theory get +12 (getting 48 EVs in a stat before leveling up for example), that is not exactly how the stat calculations work. I think this is in order to not get too overpowered pokémon at low levels, but rather spread their growth as they level up over time. My 252 atk/speed mienfoo (with 31/31) only gets +3 and +4 max in attack and speed as it levels up. If you want to check its stats compared to max stats, use Marriland's stat calculator: http://pokemon.marriland.com/stat

Also, pokérus spreads naturally to other party members if you have an infected poke in your party. It spreads by walking, but battling is much faster, so just indulge in some battles and your whole team should have pokérus in no time. Make sure you always have an infected pokémon in your box so you don't lose it when it passes away
    Current HG BQ:
    RE route 32

hung from the underbelly of the earth,
    while the stars skid away, below,
    gormless and brakeless, gravel-loose,
    falling silent as gavels in the snow

To add on to that, they changed it in 5th gen. Instead of going up at level up, like it says on the power items/macho brace, it goes up as the EVs do. So even if your pokemon is level 10 and only has 10% of it's EVs and IVs, if your EVs go high enough to increase a stat, that stat will immediately increase even if it didn't gain a level.

I'm pretty sure this is because they made it possible to gain EVs at level 100, which would be pointless if you needed to level.
    Shiny Hunt:

Quick question. IF I have a Haxorus holding the speed power item with 31 IV's in speed and a Axew holding an everstone with Jolly nature, will I get a Axew with 31 Speed IV's and a 50% chance of being jolly?

Quote Originally Posted by Solfatara View Post
    Even though you EV-train in a certain stat to the degree that it should in theory get +12 (getting 48 EVs in a stat before leveling up for example), that is not exactly how the stat calculations work. I think this is in order to not get too overpowered pokémon at low levels, but rather spread their growth as they level up over time. My 252 atk/speed mienfoo (with 31/31) only gets +3 and +4 max in attack and speed as it levels up. If you want to check its stats compared to max stats, use Marriland's stat calculator: http://pokemon.marriland.com/stat

Also, pokérus spreads naturally to other party members if you have an infected poke in your party. It spreads by walking, but battling is much faster, so just indulge in some battles and your whole team should have pokérus in no time. Make sure you always have an infected pokémon in your box so you don't lose it when it passes away
    Ok so I am EV training correctly right? Its just that in pearl I was training an ampharos in special attack and when it would level up it would usually be +30. So I'm not too sure if I'm doing it correctly now.

hi all, i was EV training pokemon with suitable naures and wasn't paying attention to the IVs.
    I don't know much about IVs just that theyr connected with the charasteristic of a pokemon, for example when summary under the nature says:''somewhat curious'', ''likes to run'' etc..
    Now i'd like to know if they are really that important for being competative in wi fi battles?
    BLACK FC: 5114 3566 8106

Quote Originally Posted by sea_boy21 View Post
    hi all, i was EV training pokemon with suitable naures and wasn't paying attention to the IVs.
    I don't know much about IVs just that theyr connected with the charasteristic of a pokemon, for example when summary under the nature says:''somewhat curious'', ''likes to run'' etc..
    Now i'd like to know if they are really that important for being competative in wi fi battles?
    If you take a pokemon with all IV's under 15 then it matters, or a pokemon with all IV's 31. There are many IV calculators and they calculate the IV's. It's best to have a pokemon with high IV's in the stat it is strong in and the depending on the role as a competive pokemon. For example, A haxorus shouldn't have an Attack and Speed IV of under 20. Also, IV spreads are set up like this HP/Atk/Def/Sp. Atk/Sp. Def/Spd

Quote Originally Posted by *IZ* View Post
    Ok so I am EV training correctly right? Its just that in pearl I was training an ampharos in special attack and when it would level up it would usually be +30. So I'm not too sure if I'm doing it correctly now.
    Read this:

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphaea View Post
    To add on to that, they changed it in 5th gen. Instead of going up at level up, like it says on the power items/macho brace, it goes up as the EVs do. So even if your pokemon is level 10 and only has 10% of it's EVs and IVs, if your EVs go high enough to increase a stat, that stat will immediately increase even if it didn't gain a level.

I'm pretty sure this is because they made it possible to gain EVs at level 100, which would be pointless if you needed to level.
    :P

Quote Originally Posted by pokefielder View Post
    Quick question. IF I have a Haxorus holding the speed power item with 31 IV's in speed and a Axew holding an everstone with Jolly nature, will I get a Axew with 31 Speed IV's and a 50% chance of being jolly?
    Yes, this is what I do. I have used 2 power items before, but it seems like such a waste since only one will have effect anyways, there's always the chance it will inherit any other IV's from a parent, so just use the power item on the most important stat.

Everstone speeds up hatching for a good pokemon a ton, it's frustrating getting 3+ 31 IVs, but a horrible nature. Happened to me this morning trying to get a good DW Murkrow, max Def/SpDef/Spd, but Lonely nature :/ Using it as a parent now to hopefully pass them on.
    Shiny Hunt:

Page 38 of 82 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast