Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #12

Shell Bell is not a good Item to use because it is unreliable on the HP recovered. Leftovers is better.

Darmination:
    Ability: Sheer Force
    Item: Life Orb
    Moves:
    Fire Punch
    Headbutt
    Level Ground
    Rock Slide
    Nature: Jolly
    Evs: 6HP 252Atk 252SPD
    Reasoning:
    Sheerforce for some reason sheer force negates the life orb recoil on sheer force boosted moves, but they still get the life orb boost. So that makes fire puncha base 195 power, headbutt a base (about) 123 power, rockslide a base 130 power, and level ground a base 104 power. For a nutral hit fire Punch, backed up by 374 attack, your dealing out: 200 damage to pokemon with defences of 300, (about) 300 damage to pokemon with 200 defence, and about 400 damage to pokemon with 150 defence (Note this is with max attack, life orb, sheer force, and a nuetral hit). I take level ground over earthquake because it is stronger than a regular earthquake. Yes earth quake is stronger with life orb, but with earthquake you get the life orb reciol because it is not boosted by sheer force. (note: sheer force boosts moves that have a positive effect. this does not include high critical hit ratio moves, brick break, move that hit all pokemon on the field, or moves that have some other method of calculating damage).
    Last edited by twcopal; 21st March 2011 at 9:21 PM.
    Competitive battling pokemon

Currently Training
    Shiny Pokemon

Question: When Darmantian changes form, is it reversable?

Like if it uses Belly Drum, changes to zen, the opponent doesn't damage, and leftovers bring HP up above 50%, does it go back to its normal mode?

3DS: 5413 1009 1553

Quote Originally Posted by gyaradosuseddragonrage! View Post
    The trick is incredibly useful because of Flare Blitz, Rock Slide, and Fire Punch all getting the Sheer Force + Life Orb boost, as well as Flare Blitz and Fire Punch getting STAB, making for a very strong attack. Also does Flame Charge get the Sheer Force boost? If it does, then it DOESN'T boost speed.
    No. The only things it will affect are status inflicting moves (this includes confusion and flinching) and moves that lower the opponents' stats.

For all those still wondering, Sheer Force moves do remove Life Orb recoil.
        Spoiler:- Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Del Mundo View Post
    Question: When Darmantian changes form, is it reversable?

Like if it uses Belly Drum, changes to zen, the opponent doesn't damage, and leftovers bring HP up above 50%, does it go back to its normal mode?
    Unfortunately, that's right. Zen Mode might have had a usable set involving Rest if it wasn't the case but it is.

piggy backing on Rhys29
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhys29 View Post
    No. The only things it will affect are status inflicting moves (this includes confusion and flinching) and moves that lower the opponents' stats.

For all those still wondering, Sheer Force moves do remove Life Orb recoil.
    Sheer Force only negates recoil on sheer force boosted moves only (these are also what sheer force boosts):
    -Moves that up your stats
    -Moves that lower the opponents stats
    -Moves that have a flinch chance
    -Moves that may induce a status problem
    Does not include:
    -Moves that have a negative effect on the user
    -High critical hit ratio moves
    -Moves that do not do damage
    -Moves that have an added effect like Brick Break or Shadow Force
    -Moves that only hit all pokemon on the field: Earthquake, Surf
    Last edited by twcopal; 20th March 2011 at 10:10 PM.
    Competitive battling pokemon

Currently Training
    Shiny Pokemon

140 Base attack makes this a go to Physical beast.

First things first, Sheer Force does not stop stat reductions cause by your attacks (Super Power/Hammer Arm still lower your stats), it doesn't stop recoil (Flare Blitz still hurts even with Life Orb), and doesn't stop status effect (Thrash still confuses you).

What it does do is power up attacks with beneficial effects. Flame Charge gets stronger, but no speed boost. Fire Punch gets a boost, but no burn. Rock Slide gets a boost but no Flinch, etc...

So for the movepool

Fire Punch/Flare Blitz
    Bulk Up/Work Up/U-Turn/Belly Drum/Taunt/Will-o-wisp
    Rock Slide/ Stone Edge
    Earthquake

Personally I don't like recoil attacks, unless they're much more powerful than the other option or the only option, and thanks to Sheer Force that's not the case. Fire Punk gains the 33% boost making it's POW 99.75 which I believe rounds down to 99 (I think all boost round down no matter what).

So it's Fire Punch 99 POW 100 Acc.
    vs.
    Flare Blitz 120 POW 100 Acc.

It's an easy choice depending on what you want from Darmanitan. If you're going with a boosting support move than Fire Punch is the way to go, if not then Flare Blitz away.

Support moves. Ok you have Bulk up to boost it's massive attack and help that pitiful defense so that it takes normal damage from physical attacks. Belly Drum maxes it's attack, but cutting it's HP in 1/2 means there's a good chance you'll get 1 hit KO'ed. Work Up is the other option on a mix set, but I'll get to that later. Or you could try U-Turn to scout or Will-o-wisp to cripple a physical threat on your opponent who won't be expecting that.

The last 2 moves should be your Rock type of choice, and Earthquake. Sheer Force powers up Rock Slide thanks to the flinch effect, making it a 99 POW attack as well which is 1 POW point less than Stone Edge, but with an ACC of 90 vs. Stone Edge's 80. The only debate is if you want to press your luck on a less accurate attack for a higher chance at landing a critical hit.

So moving along it's other ability.

Here's where Work up comes into play. You can boost your originals attack and SA, and once it changes forms you benefit from the SA boost thanks to Work Up, bu the problem is it limits you to either 1 or 2 moves unless your goal is to use the zen mode from from the beginning.

The best thing to do is to Belly drum your health down to half maximizing attack, and even though it looks awful, it will boost it up to threatening levels, and with the defensive boost from change forms, it can manage to survive an attack or two. Leftovers is probably the best item for this maybe Life Orb, but remember after the form change your speed drops to Snorlax levels, so you'll be attack last. Trick room support would help.

Counters

Darmanitan can't take what it can dish out. Both Defenses are 55, meaning it's it gets hit it's in trouble. Bulk Waters are the best counters. A high defense to block it's attack especially it's STAB, and a STAB of their own to threaten it. Keldo and Terrakion are the perfect counter. They resist it's STAB, and it's Rock attack, and only has to watch out for earthquake. But they have enough power to 1 hit KO it and outrun Darmanitan. Other good counters are defensive Aqua Jet's like Kabutops (just watch out fro Earthquake), Samurott, Carracosta (same as Kabutops), Blastoise, and Feraligatr.

Other counters are Speedy Dragons. They too resist it's STAB, and can outrun it and KO with Earthquake since most have it. Salamance's Intimidate really helps it. But Flygon, Garchomp, and Haxorus can do it, or Latias, Latios, and Hydreigon can do it with Surf.

Darmanitan: @Life Orb/Leftovers/Expert Belt
    Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -Sp.Atk)/Jolly (+Spd, -Sp.Atk)
    -Fire Punch/Flare Blitz
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Slide/Stone Edge
    -U-Turn
    EV's: 126 HP/252 Atk/126 Spd
    Fire Punch and Flare Blitz are your STABs of choice. Fire Punch gets a boost from Sheer Force, but I think Flare Blitz still does more. Ashamed that Flare Blitz still gives recoil. You also got QuakeEdge/Slide for coverage. Rock Slide also gets a boost from Sheer Force. Listening to the conversation ^, Stone Edge doesnt get a boost (?). Id go with Rock Slide for reliability since Darmanitan is very fragile. U-Turn to get outta there and blah blah.

Belly Drum: Zen Mode: @Leftovers
    Nature: Rash (+Sp.Atk, -Sp.Def)
    Ability: Zen Mode
    -Belly Drum
    -Fire Punch/Flare Blitz
    -Solarbeam/Psychic
    -Substitute/Focus Blast
    EV's: 252 HP/63 Atk/63 Spd/126 Sp.Atk
    Heres a bit of a gimmicky set. Belly Drum to get all the way down to Zen Mode and the plus 6 boost for Attack. Not to waste Belly Drum's effect, go with Fire Punch or Flare Blitz for physical STAB. Solarbeam for coverage and run it with Substitute. You can use Psychic for dual STAB and Focus Blast for coverage against Dark-types.

FC: 2022 2993 1000

Quote Originally Posted by twcopal View Post
    piggy backing on Rhys29

Sheer Force only negates recoil on sheer force boosted moves only (these are also what sheer force boosts):
    -Moves that up your stats
    -Moves that lower the opponents stats
    -Moves that have a flinch chance
    -Moves that may induce a status problem
    Does not include:
    -Moves that have a negative effect on the user
    -High critical hit ratio moves
    -Moves that do not do damage
    -Moves that have an added effect like Brick Break or Shadow Force
    -Moves that only hit all pokemon on the field: Earthquake, Surf
    That is incorrect, it does not affect moves that up your stats. And it is worth noting that if an effect has a 100% chance to occur, it is not affected.

Physical Sweeper/Revenge Killer
    Darmanitan @ Leftovers
    Adamant
    Sheer Force
    252 Speed 252 Attack 4 HP

Belly Drum
    Flare Blitz
    Grass Knot
    U-Turn

Belly Drum to max out Attack. Flare Blitz is Darmanitan's strongest Phys. STAB. Grass Knot hits all of its weaknesses. U-Turn is a good move if you feel like scouting.

Zenitan
    Darmanitan @ Rocky Helmet
    Timid
    Zen Mode
    252 Speed 252 Sp. Attack 4 HP

Flamethrower
    Psychic
    Grass Knot
    Hyper Beam

Flamethrower for a reliable Special Fire STAB. Psychic is the only Psychic Type is gets other Rest. Grass Knot to hit most of its weaknesses. Hyper Beam is for if it's about to faint.
    Grumpig is mine.
    Planned Ruby/Sapphire Remake Team:
    Current Sapphire Team

I do GTS Negotiations. I really like trading Eggs for Eggs. So, if you see a Trainer Card with "BIDOOF is the reason for HATE.", that is me.

Darmanitan: Zen Mode

Psychic
    Flamethrower
    Will-o-wisp
    Substitute

Item: Enigma Berry Ability: Zen Mode
    Nature: Timid Evs: Sp,atk 252 Spd 252 HP 4

Use Substitute to activate Zen Mode. If they don't take out your Substitute you can burn them while you have the Substitute. Psychic and Flamethrower are your stab moves once you activate zen mode.

Sheer Force:

Flare Blitz
    U-Turn
    Rock Slide
    Headbutt

Item: Choice Band/Scarf Ability: Sheer Force
    Nature: Jolly Evs: Atk 252 Spd 252 HP 4

180 power move... I'm happy w/ it, recoil or not. Flare Blitz is your (180 power) stab move. U-turn allows you to switch. Rock Slide and Headbutt are filler. There good moves, but other than 105 power there's no good reason to use them.

Sweepy-Darmanitan

Zen Mode

Lum Berry

Moves:

Hammer Arm/Focus Blast

Flare Blitz/Flamethrower

Stone Edge/Psychic

Earth Quake/Solar Beam

-----------------

Easy really. Try to cause as much damage as possible for one part, and then try and last as long as possible in Zen mode.

Simply mix and match a set of two physical moves (left) and two special (right) and use the physical ones in normal mode and special ones in Zen mode. Lum berry will take care of sleep or Paralysis.

If the worst really comes to the worst then switch for use later in the battle.
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/11gmw6f.png[/IMG]
    Comming Soon...

Thanks to Skiyomi for the great banner!

hihidaruma (japanesse name is cooler)
    zen mode
    quiet
    -psychic
    -overheat
    -focas blast
    -hyper beam
    item focas sash

he is a lead that tries to kill something
    he takes one hit with his terrible defences and goes to one hp
    then he destroys the opponent
    when salac berry comes out you could use endure

Double and triple battle partners:

Don't use it. It's weak to surf and earthquake. You'll need partners to take out surfers/earthquakers fast. Attack wise, It has earthquake. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Well, zen mode is going to be a tricky one to use, and it can't have any egg moves...
    Darmanitan
    ZenMode/Sitris Berry
    Bold(I can't decide EVs).
    -Substitute
    -Flamethrower/Fireblast
    -Psychic
    -GrassKnot

Use substitute to get down to 50% health, and restore 25% of your health health with your sitris berry. Flamethrower, FireBlast, Psychic are all for stab, and GrassKnot hit Rock and Water types.

I based this of a belly drum snorlax set in the last thread. If there is, I never heard of it. Maybe it should be tested out.

Oh, I just thought of a belly drum set. But, it won't be legal until the pinch berries are released.
    Darmanitan
    Jolly/Adamant/252att/252speed
    SheerForce/SalacBerry
    -Substitute
    -BellyDrum
    -FirePunch
    -BrickBreak/Earthquake

Use it like a substitute bellyzard, but save this set for later, as the salac berry is banned until it is released.

NitroCharge
    Adamant/252att/252Speed
    SheerForce/
    -NitroCharge
    -FirePunch
    -Earthquake
    -StoneEdge
    From what I know, you can get egg moves onto a Zen Mode Darmanitan using the new breeding mechanic (as long as you have a female Zen Mode Darmanitan, you can get a 40% chance of the child inheriting the Hidden Ability, which means Darumaku will get Inner Focus instead of Hustle). Anyway, here's a set I was thinking of:

Pure Force Darmanitan
    Adamant/Jolly
    EV spread: 252 attack and speed
    Held item: Life Orb
    -Fire Punch
    -Rock Slide
    -Earthquake
    -U-Turn/Brick Break

The essential premise of this set is to cause as much damage as possible without dealing recoil to yourself. Thankfully, the first two moves in this set help to eliminate the Life Orb's recoil, so you can hit them with ridiculously strong moves while remaining a deadly force. With the double power boost, you can consider dropping Adamant for Jolly, in order to boost your speed a little bit higher to help you outrun certain threats.

I was wondering...does Volt Tackle get boosted by Sheer Force?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilosophicalPsychologica View Post
    I was wondering...does Volt Tackle get boosted by Sheer Force?
    First of all, you'd never encounter that situation, as Pikachu aren't able to gain Sheer Force, even with the Dream World. Secondly, Volt Tackle won't get boosted, as all it does is recoil on you

For Counters Bulky Waters will murder it, especially pokemon that double resist it's primary stab, mainly Swampert and Jellicent.
    BLACK TEAM!
    (I have claimed Honchkrow, the Don)
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/xfnpc5.png[/IMG][IMG]http://i56.*******.com/21l4h6t.png[/IMG]
    R.I.P. Shiny Dusknoir and Shiny Ratticate
        Spoiler:- Credit:

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo-Unlegendary View Post
    For Counters Bulky Waters will murder it, especially pokemon that double resist it's primary stab, mainly Swampert and Jellicent.
    honestly, even if the Pokemon has a resistance to Darmanitan's attacks, it's still going to hurt quite bad, especially if it's packing Flare Blitz and Life Orb. It's like being hit by a speeding train in my opinion. Doesn't matter how strong your defenses are, it's still gonna hurt like hell

Personally I don't like recoil attacks, unless they're much more powerful than the other option or the only option, and thanks to Sheer Force that's not the case. Fire Punk gains the 33% boost making it's POW 99.75 which I believe rounds down to 99 (I think all boost round down no matter what).

So it's Fire Punch 99 POW 100 Acc.
    vs.
    Flare Blitz 120 POW 100 Acc.
    Flare Blitz has a 10% burn rate, so it gets boosted sheer force, along with STAB, and (possibly) a held item. This gives Flare Blitz a base 120, with a sheer force power of 160,
    and STAB brings it up to 240! Fire Punch only gets a power of 148. This difference is so huge, that Flare Blitz should always be used (except for certain occations). This is the actual difference:

Fire Punch 99 Power, 100 accuracy
    vs.
    Flare Blitz 160 Power, 100 accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by TheAwesomeOne View Post
    I meant that those are the only moves it is useful for on Darmaniton.
    And still, it will get walled by Bulky Waters and other Pokés.
    Rock slide is useful. And it doesn't get walled by bulky waters. A Life Orb Jolly Flare Blitz in the Sun, despite being resisted, can 2HKO Max Defence Jellicent, and Vaporeon, and CB can 2HKO Max Defence Suicune. This thing hits like two trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo-Unlegendary View Post
    Neither of those double resist Fire. Neither ground nor ghost resists fire.

The only things that can really switch into a Darmanitan Flare Blitz are Flash Fire Pokémon and bulky 4x resists. However, Rain is an awesome way to power it down, and worst comes to worst you can switch Blissey into it and destroy Darmanitan with the recoil.
    Last edited by Nijaskills; 21st March 2011 at 3:27 AM.
    FINE. I'LL MAKE A SIGNATURE

My White team:
    Reserves:

I claimed Plusle. I don't know what claiming it does, but I claimed it.

A +6 Att 10th round metronome Helping-Hand boosted Max Attack Victini V-Generate vs. a -6 Def Min. Defense min. HP Paras in Sun does 135516-159432 damage, or 75286.7%-88573.3%

Quote Originally Posted by Bone Cold Marowak Guy View Post
    Jellicent laughs at such a Pokemon.

Also, just a warning. No HyperBeam, NO Giga Impact!
    It does laugh at the Zen form but Jellicent is a special wall, not physical. Scald could hurt non-Zen ones, I guess.
    Last edited by ASB; 21st March 2011 at 3:39 AM.

NOTICE: Above White FC is no longer valid. FC is now 0562-2001-5885.

Awesome pic by xPrincessAmanda.

John 3:36, John 3:16, Romans 6:23, Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8, John 14:6, Ephesians 2:8-9, Acts 3:19
    Join the Serebii Christian Alliance - http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=368080

Quote Originally Posted by Nijaskills View Post
    Rock slide is useful. And it doesn't get walled by bulky waters. A Life Orb Jolly Flare Blitz in the Sun, despite being resisted, can 2HKO Max Defence Jellicent, and Vaporeon, and CB can 2HKO Max Defence Suicune. This thing hits like two trucks.
    Well Darmanitan can't afford to have sunny day on it's set (too frail) so it will need some building around for that to happen. And the one pokemon you fail to mention is Swampert. Good defenses, Resistance to Darmanitan's main STAB, Ground STAB to fall back on if Darmanitan gets a boost from Sunny Day and Water becomes unreliable, Swampert will make mincemeat out of this one.
    BLACK TEAM!
    (I have claimed Honchkrow, the Don)
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/xfnpc5.png[/IMG][IMG]http://i56.*******.com/21l4h6t.png[/IMG]
    R.I.P. Shiny Dusknoir and Shiny Ratticate
        Spoiler:- Credit:

Well, this is my first time doing one of these, it's probably not good

Abilities:
    Sheer Force: You lose the secondary effect of your moves, but their power increases by 33%. Not the best ability in the world, honestly I'd prefer something like Flame Body, but it works well with Darmantian's moveset.
    Zen Mode: This ability is interesting, it changes Darumakka into Hihidarumakka when it's HP is below 50% giving your pokemon more weaknesses and eliminating none, not a good ability at all, stick with sheer force.

Moveset

4 Def, 252 Att, 252 Spe
    -Fire Punch/Flare Blitz
    -Brick Break/Hammer Arm
    -Taunt/Yawn
    -Stone Edge/Earthquake
    Item: Salac Berry
    Nature: Adamant

Smogon standard Tentacruel can be OHKOed after Stealth Rocks from Choice Banded Flare Blitz. Kingdra can be safely 2HKOed. Latios and Hippowdon are always OHKOed after rocks.

This thing hits like a nuke, but its relatively slow and extremely frail. Flare Blitz recoil and Stealth Rock damage will rack up quickly. Hes not a good choice in OU but its hard to find a safe switch in for Life Orb sets.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast