Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #12

Quote Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
    Isn't there a trick, though, that sheer force + life orb + move with secondary effect = No LO recoil?

EDIT: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/blog.php?b=26034

A bunch of other sites also confirm this.

With that being said, this guy's moveset is gonna change DRASTICALLY when the RS remakes and the 3rd game come out.
    Sheer Force doesn't take damage from Life Orb
    Nambiri

Well I have Some movesets but they are pretty generic in terms of moves, items, and EVs

Choice Band/Choice Scarf
    Adament/Jolly Nature
    252 Atk/252 Spd/4Hp
    Item- Choice Band/Scarf

Flare Blitz
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge/Rock Slide
    Superpower/Brick Break/Hammer Arm

Okay heres is the standard Hihidaruma (I like the Japanese name batter so I'll use it the whole time on moveset analysis) Flare Blitz is your STAB move for damage, Earthquake can handle Rock types with ease without lowering Atk and Def (If you used Superpower) which has great type coverage. Stone Edge is for Power, while Rock Slide is for Acc and Fliching.

Sub-Punch
    Jolly Nature
    252 Atk/252 Spd/4Hp
    Item - Salac Berry/Lechi Berry/Life Orb

Substitute
    Focus Punch
    Flare Blitz
    Earthquake

Well heres a set no one probably thought of (Maybe they did, I dont know) Well anyways, you can Try to sub down to your berry, and if you can keep it for one turn, you can then Focus Punch everything in your path. Flare Blitz is Stab, and Earthquake Provides coverage.

Support
    Jolly Nature
    252Atk/252Spd/4Hp
    Life Orb/Air Balloon

Taunt/Encore
    Toxic
    Flare Blitz
    U-Turn

Well Okay, here is the mess up support pokes, mess up sweepers a little, hurt you with a powerful move, then get the hell out of there. Taunt prevents Support pokes/ SDers and CMers from setting up, while Encore traps them into that one move. Toxic works great with Hihidaruma, as most pokes that resist toxic are steel types, which Hihidaruma can then hit hard with Flare Blitz. If you then have a Unfavorable match up, get out using U-Turn.

Other Options

Work Up/Bulk Up, Will-o-Wisp, Belly Drum, Endure

Work Up/Bulk Up/Belly Drum are great for Hihi to start setting up, but its defenses are to low for that to happen.

Will-O-Wisp can replace toxic on the support Set, but toxic is favored because of the fact that it can bait out steel types.

Endure Works great with the stat raising berries, but with so many pokes with priority these days, probaby isnt the best of ideas.

Counters

Well, A Physical Wall utterly stops HiHidaruma unless you are using the Support set.
    Gliscor can Wall it complety, and with fling on its arsenal it can give HiHi the toxic. Stealh Rocks also cripple HiHi so you should have those Out.

Hope youu guys enjoyed these sets

I chase the dream, not the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by ASB View Post
    It does laugh at the Zen form but Jellicent is a special wall, not physical. Scald could hurt non-Zen ones, I guess.
    Yeah, true, but Zen Mode's so frail, it's barely worth it. 50% health or less isn't great, ever.

I'm back, baby.

Darmanitan
    - Flare Blitz
    - Earthquake/Brick Break
    - Rock Slide
    - Flame Charge
    Item Attached: Life Orb
    Ability: Sheer Force
    EVs and Nature:
    252 Atk / 152 Spd / 104 HP
    Adamant (+Atk, -Sp. Atk)

Simple straight forward set. Predict a switch, and Flame Charge on that. With those EVs, you outspeed all the non-uber Pokemon except for Ninjask, Accelgor, and Electrode (which don't make that many appearances anyway.) Dump the rest into HP for survivability, and max out Attack. Flare Blitz is your main STAB move. Earthquake is a gerat move in general, and Rock Slide has great coverage with Earthquake and gets Sheer Force boost.

Darmanitan
    - Substitute
    - Flamethrower
    - Psychic
    - Grass Knot
    Ability: Zen Mode
    Item Attached: Salac Berry
    EVs and Nature:
    4 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd
    Timid (+Spd, -Atk)

Sub down til you get you Zen Mode, then sub once more to get your Salac Berry boost. With Timid, you'll be running 379 Special Attack and 343 Speed. Flamethrower and Psychic are your STAB moves, and Grass Knot is for bulky waters.

Bulky blue.. thing?
    - Substitute
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Taunt/Toxic
    - Flamethrower/Psychic
    Item Attached: Leftovers
    Ability: Zen Mode
    EVs and Nature:
    252 HP / 252 Sp.Def / 4 Def

Substitute down to Zen Mode. Will-O-Wisp covers physical attackers, so you don't need to worry that much about Defence. With Taunt you prevent phazing, but with Toxic, you can go Double Status. Flamethrower/Psychic is for slowly picking up damage, and not getting owned by other Taunters. Full HP and Sp. Def to take hits of course.

Of course, if Zen Mode changes back into Darmanitan's regular form while going over half HP, this set is completely useless.

^For your last set, the Defenses should be spread out a little bit more.

And Life Orb+Flare Blitz=Serious damage. Not only to the target, but to yourself, you should be dead after 2-3 turns max.
    And with Stealth Rocks up, you are dead after 2 turns, most likely 1 turn.
    Last edited by TheAwesomeOne; 21st March 2011 at 7:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo-Unlegendary View Post
    Well Darmanitan can't afford to have sunny day on it's set (too frail) so it will need some building around for that to happen. And the one pokemon you fail to mention is Swampert. Good defenses, Resistance to Darmanitan's main STAB, Ground STAB to fall back on if Darmanitan gets a boost from Sunny Day and Water becomes unreliable, Swampert will make mincemeat out of this one.
    It doesn't need it on its set. Pair it with Ninetails, or something else with sunny day. And it still hits hard outside of sun, it just hits obscenely hard in the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by NAMBIRI View Post
    Sheer Force doesn't take damage from Life Orb
    I'd like to clarify this. With Sheer Force, a Pokemon doesn't take Life Orb recoil when it uses ONLY a move that gets the Sheer Force boost.
    FINE. I'LL MAKE A SIGNATURE

My White team:
    Reserves:

I claimed Plusle. I don't know what claiming it does, but I claimed it.

A +6 Att 10th round metronome Helping-Hand boosted Max Attack Victini V-Generate vs. a -6 Def Min. Defense min. HP Paras in Sun does 135516-159432 damage, or 75286.7%-88573.3%

Default I FEEL LIKE TANKING ,TANKNG TA-TA-TA-TA-tanking a lots of walls

GReat choice!my favourite 5th gen pokemon.i first thought it was an ape ,but i´m not too sure anymore...:P

This set is something different that could work around the zen mode ability.

I Feel like tanking ,tanking ...oh wait...MIXED?! can It MIX?!

-belly drum
    -flamethrower/flare blitz/fire blast
    -Psychic/Overheat/payback
    -Hammer arm
    item:leftovers/custap berry/balloon
    trait:zen mode
    nature:Brave +atk -spe

THe momentum of surprise.Can take down blisseys ferrothorns skarmories or whateve comes to its way.DAMN THIS THING IS BULKY!!Belly drum is the key move in this set making darmanitan change its form.Fire blast is anyway recommend on the second slot (unless your using overheat)Psychic has become great nowadays or payback could be used for hitting ghots.
    Hammer arm is a must for hitting rock types(the speed lowering doesnt matter.

evs
    This thing is bulky so investing in both def stats is propably nice.don´t use any in HP because youur drumming awaya half of it anyway.could put some in attack.

FEEDBACK IS WELCOME

Quote Originally Posted by bubi the gamer View Post
    GReat choice!my favourite 5th gen pokemon.i first thought it was an ape ,but i´m not too sure anymore...:P

-belly drum
    -Hammer arm

THe momentum of surprise.Can take down blisseys ferrothorns skarmories or whateve comes to its way.DAMN THIS THING IS BULKY!!Belly drum is the key move in this set making darmanitan change its form.Fire blast is anyway recommend on the second slot (unless your using overheat)Psychic has become great nowadays or payback could be used for hitting ghots.

evs
    This thing is bulky so investing in both def stats is propably nice.don´t use any in HP because youur drumming awaya half of it anyway.could put some in attack.

FEEDBACK IS WELCOME
    Yes, it is a type of ape. I have seen the actual species it's based on, but I don't know the name now

I guess Darmanitan is OK with the Sheer Force, and he doesn't get affected by Will-O-Wisp.
    if you are like me,and think Typhlosion is too epic to be in UU, copy this in your sig-started by epicpip.

I use this place for my sprites from now on, because they have front, back, male, female, normal, and shiny sprites.
    Credit to The Spriters Resource for all of my images from here forward.

credits go to here.
    Note-My name is Michael, not Micheal. 99% of people cannot spell my name correctly.

Snivy used STONED EDGE!!

Perhaps use Zen Mode to shield after a Belly Drum then rest and go sweeping?
    How would you like your WALL today, unbelievably tough or OH MY GOD JUST DIE!!!?

Quote Originally Posted by bubi the gamer View Post

-belly drum
    -Hammer arm

evs

FEEDBACK IS WELCOME
    There is no point of Brave. Belly Drum should only be on Sheer Force sets. HP is still wanted, especially with Belly Drum. Darmaniton is supposed to be either Physical, or Special, not mixed. It could already take down Skarmory, Ferrothorn and Blissey.

Here's a Zen Mode Sub + 3 attacks set:

Darmanitan@Leftovers
    Modest Nature
    EVs: 252hp 252satk 4sdef
    Substitute
    Flamethrower
    Psychic
    Focus Blast

Essesntially you Sub down to low enough health when Zen Mode activates, then shell attakcs off of your monster satk (140) and soak stuff up with nice defenses (105/105/105). Psychic + Fire + Fighting is only stopped by Victini (who hates Stealth Rock) and the Lati Twins (who dislike Pursuit-trappers like Scizor). Note that Darmanitan's SR weakness helps here by, with a Sub, cutting HP low enough for Zen Mode to work.
    What're you lookin' at soldier? DROP AND GIVE ME 645!!!

DO THEM RIGHT OR FACE THE WRATH OF MA' SAND FORCE!!!

--Landorus Boot Camp Motto

Having done lots of research inn the past on this. Here are the moves that Darmanitan knows the are boosted by sheer force (New base power with life orb is calculated):[1.5 refers to fire stab, 1.33(4/3 to be excact) refers to sheer force boost, 1.30 refers life orb boost] Note that the answers are if nessecary rounded down.
    Fire Fang: Base Power: 65*1.33*1.30*1.50=169
    Headbutt: Base Power: 70*1.33*1.30=121
    Fire Punch: Base Power: 75*1.33*1.30*1.50=195
    Flare Blitz: Base Power: 120*1.33*1.30*1.50=312
    *Psychic: Base Power: 90*1.33*1.30=156
    *Flamethrower: Base Power: 95*1.33*1.30*1.50=247
    *Fire Blast: Base Power: 120*1.33*1.30*1.50=312
    Rock Tomb: Base Power: 50*1.33*1.30=86
    *Focus Blast: Base Power: 120*1.33*1.30=208
    Bulldoze: Base Power: 60*1.33*1.30=104
    Rock Slide: Base Power: 75*1.33*1.30=130
    Rock Smash: Base Power: 40*1.33*1.30=69
    Flame Wheel: Base Power: 60*1.33*1.30*1.50=156
    **Flame Charge: Base Power: 50*1.33*1.30*1.50=130**

Bold is the end Base Power, if it came to be a decimal i rounded down, and i used 4/3 for 1.33 so if it acually boosts it by 1.33 instead of 1 and 1/3
    (4/3), then my answers might be a tad off... but there is really no way to know for sure.

*Special Attack So pointless on Sheer forced Darmanitan.
    **UNCOFIRMED ON WEATHER BOOSTED OR NOT**
    Last edited by twcopal; 21st March 2011 at 10:15 PM.
    Competitive battling pokemon

Currently Training
    Shiny Pokemon

physical. sun. sweeper. Sample bare-bones team:

Darmanitan
    Liligant
    Drought-ninetales
    Chandelure
    Tangrowth
    Volcarona
    ;612;;609;;534;;579;530;;637;
    well, darn it... the new sprites arent up, so if you want to see my worlds 2011 team you have to do a little work

^ What is your point? A sunny day team based around Hihidaruma? Post it in the CRMT, not here. BTW that team is gonna get destroyed by Swamp/Vappy with relative ease.

Hihidaruma has major HP issues. This is true; however his purpose on a team should not be to destroy an entire but rather to devastate a few pokemon before self-KOing.

Assuming twcopal is correct, 312 BP (out of the sun) is like bombing your opponent. Only 4x resist and Flah Fire will not get pulverized by this move as under normal circumstances a 166 BP move would be considered a beautiful thing.

Rock slide has 30 points more power than Stone Edge with Sheer Force and a higher accuracy so it really is the better choice at all times.

Fire Punch is good if you don't want to see Hihidaruma slain by Flare Blitz but is quite unnecessary because we want Hihidaruma to kill everything with near impunity.

Superpower receives the boost as well, thus obtaining a monstrous 160 BP before calculating LO. With LO calculated we have a terrifying 208, which makes it more powerful than Self-destruct on other pokemon. Being a fighting move it has great coverage. No SF Hihidaruma set should be used without Superpower.

Now for a set:
    Desolation @ Life Orb
    Nature: Jolly
    EV: 252Atk/252SpD/4HP
    Moves:
    1: Flare Blitz
    2: Superpower
    3: Rock Slide
    4: Bulldoze(filler, the others cover most problems)
    Battle me and discover the true meaning of Quintessant Ruin.

Spoiler:- Credit:

PO Name: CROWN

^
    Max Speed before Defenses.

Quote Originally Posted by CROWN View Post
    Superpower receives the boost as well, thus obtaining a monstrous 160 BP before calculating LO. With LO calculated we have a terrifying 208, which makes it more powerful than Self-destruct on other pokemon. Being a fighting move it has great coverage. No SF Hihidaruma set should be used without Superpower.

Now for a set:
    Desolation @ Life Orb
    EV: 252Atk/252SpD/4HP
    Moves:
    2: Superpower
    4: Bulldoze(filler, the others cover most problems)
    Unfortunately, Superpower doesn't get the boost. Iirc, the only moves that are known to get the boost are those that cause status problems, make the opponent flinch, lower the opponent's stats, or raise your stats. It's still very good on Darman, though. Oh, and you can go Earthquake over Bulldoze. Even after the SF boost, EQ is stronger. And slash it next to Superpower, as the two really don't have the best of coverage together.

Just a few nitpicks.

Thanks, meant that to SpD to be Spe. Oops.
    I see, Superpower gets no boost, but still powerful. Too bad.

Desolation @ Life Orb
    EV: 252Atk/252Spe/4HP
    Moves:
    2: Superpower/Earthquake
    4: Fire Punch/Headbutt?(filler, the others cover most problems)

If this has EQ then Bulldoze is redundant so he needs a new filler I guess Fire Punch? Not sure what would be best.

Either way EQ or Superpower, they take good care of Heat which might otherwise ruin this set.

I suppose Headbutt could be used for neutrality but just for Filler, The three moves above it do a good enough job.

BTW if the name Desolation doesn't make sense to you consider that Flare Blitz/Earthquake/Rock Slide massacres a good many threats, leaving nought but destruction in Hihidaruma's wake. (I use Hihidaruma over Darmanitan because the japanese name is cooler.)

Hmmm.... I actually really like this thing. That Attack is monstrous, and base 95 speed isn't too bad, so:

Darmanitan@ Choice Band/Choice Scarf/ Life Orb
    Nature: Adamant(+Atk/-SpA)/Jolly(+Spd/-SpA)
    EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spd/ 4 HP
    -Flare Blitz
    -Superpower
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Slide
    Probably is going to be Darmanitan's most used set. Choice Band makes Flare Blitz a gateway to Hades, while Choice Scarf can actually make Darmanitan into a pretty effective revenge killer. Life Orb Flare Blitz offers zero recoil with Sheer Force, which is nice. Daramanitan is a pretty effective user of the Rock/Ground type combo, since Flare Blitz can blast its few resistors into oblivion.

Darmanitan @ Leftovers
    Modest Nature (+SpA/-Atk)
    EVs: 252 SpA/ 132 Def/ 128 SpD
    -Substitute
    -Fire Blast/ Flamthrower
    -Grass Knot/ Solarbeam/
    -Focus Blast/Will-O-Wisp/ Flame Charge
    I felt bad when I saw how many options Darmanitan has specially. Oh well. Substitute is mandatory on this set to bring your HP to Zen Mode. The choice between Fire Blast and Flamethrower is a common one, however Darmanitan's Sky-High Sp.Atk when he's in Zen Mode may gear you more towards Fire Blast. Fire Blast, Focus Blast, and your Grass move give you......OK coverage I guess. Speaking of your Grass move, you can choose the predictability of Solarbeam or the unreliable power of Grass Knot, but if you have sun support handy this is a no-brainer. If you don't really care that much about coverage, you can trade Focus Blast for Will-O-Wisp for physical attackers, or Flame Charge to boost your speed (although it may have to be used several times in order for you to outpace anything). Finally, I would suggest going defensive with the EVs since once you're Zenned out you really are a rock with that base 55 speed. However if you want to get your Substitutes in fast you can go for a 252/252 EV spread.

Sorry to anyone who posted these sets first, but thank you, reader of this post, for reading this far

Not Bad. He could function as a revenge killer. Which only reinforces my previous point that he is not meant to last in a battle. Why did I not think of making him a Revenge Killer?!

Oh well. Good job on the sets.

Just a suggestion. Since the sitris berry restores 25% percent HP, a sub+zenmode set could use it and go up to 75% HP, so that should also be an option for all those sets.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Don't forget, guys, he can learn U-Turn. Darmanitan loves U-Turn.

^ Forgot about that, but I don't know where that could go on one of his sets. I mean, there is no getting in the way of the EdgeQuake combo with what is essentially a 90% accurate stone edge and earthquake. Then, is he really going to appreciate U-Turn over Superpower? That is the big question. Perhaps a Choice Band set would like it > superpower (playing sort of a Scizor-type game), but all his other sets I believe are overbooked. Zen mode would love it if it wasn't for pursuit breaking through substitutes.
    Last edited by LatiosPwnzor; 22nd March 2011 at 4:46 AM.

Hm, as stated earlier, it could take advantage of u-turn.
    Jolly or adamant/252att/252speed
    Encorage/Choice scarf
    -FlareBlitz
    -U-turn
    -Rockslide
    -Earthquake

Anyway, what about a Choice banded, adamant, max attack one, used flame charge? How poweful would that be? Could it sweep in a team with a ninetales to cause sunlight?
    Last edited by Zachmac; 22nd March 2011 at 5:29 AM.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Well, if we're making suitable movesets for him, we should keep UU in mind as in OU he is simply outclassed by Speed Boost Blaziken.

Also, have we established that Zen Mode isn't worth using, right?

Yeah, Darmanitan probably needs Scarf to have decent use as Base 95 speed doesn't cut it in OU.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast