Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Community POTW #12

Quote Originally Posted by sixonesix View Post
    darmanitan works almost the same in doubles as it does in singles, the difference is you'll probably want to give it protect if it isn't using a choice item

edit: not having strong spread attacks doesn't make it bad in doubles, flare blitz is more than enough

only thing is it itself is weak to the more common spread attacks (surf, eq, rock slide) so pair it with a wide guard user for best results
    Speaking of double battles, always use Rockslide. Bull doze is better then earthquake then(IIRC), and if you are using zen mode, always have it's partner trick room.

It is a great friend with Bronzong then, being resistant to Fire moves, while having earhquake and extra powerful bulldoze.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

I can see this fitting rather well on a baton pass team, if it's possible. A fast lead would use Belly Drum, then Baton Pass to Darmanitan so it gets the boost without the halved HP.

Darmanitan@Life Orb/Leftovers
    Jolly Nature (+Spd/-Sp.Atk)
    Sheer Force
    -Fire Punch/ Flare Blitz
    -Rock Slide
    -Hammer Arm/Superpower
    -Earthquake
    EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spd

The fire move is obviously for STAB, and Fire Punch gets boosted by Sheer Force. Flare Blitz is if you just want the power from Belly Drum, though it would need a Leftovers to help negate some of the recoil from it. Rock Slide is also for Sheer Force boost, and the fighting moves and Earthquake are for coverage. Either fighting move works, I guess it depends on personal preference, whether you want to lose speed or attack/defence.

Breeding:
    Anything! PM me with the Pokemon, gender, nature and/or nickname. I cannot breed IVs, though I can go by the highest IV (the extra detail on the Pokemon's summary).

Trade times (GMT):
    06:00-07:00 and 17:00-23:00 Weekdays
    13:00-23:00 Weekends
    I will ONLY trade within these times.

White FC: 3396-2964-5376

Don't use Hammer Arm, it lowers your Speed, and especially not with Earthquake, replace one with U-Turn, and put Bulldoze instead of Earthquake, if you remove Superpower/Hammer Arm.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAwesomeOne View Post
    Don't use Hammer Arm, it lowers your Speed, and especially not with Earthquake, replace one with U-Turn, and put Bulldoze instead of Earthquake, if you remove Superpower/Hammer Arm.
    You're right about hammer arm, but why U-turn if it's a baton pass receiver? Anyway, even with sheer force, Earthquake is still the more powerful option(Unless in a double battle).

But Bulldoze does have the Speed drop, and the no Life Orb Recoil. It is only 6BP less than Earthquake, I think.
    EDIT: That is with Life Orb and Sheer Force.

Really don't like using this one... And I'll look forward to the overall picture of all the sets we come up with Anyway, here's mine:

Choice POWER
    Darmanitan @ Choice Band
    Trait: Encourage
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk) / Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Flare Blitz
    - Superpower
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn

Hello Flare Blitz with 360 base power... This set makes a pretty powerful late-game sweeper but can also help chip in a bit of damage before the mighty sweep with U-Turn. Superpower and Stone Edge are other options which cover some other types and also do a lot of damage Earthquake could have got in but is slightly outclassed by the other moves from Darmanitan's versatile move pool.

I think using a Zen Mode Darmanitan is pretty ridiculous but the element of surprise is worth considering I guess...
    Belly Drumming makes me wanna rest..."
    Darmanitan @ Chesto Berry
    Trait: Zen Mode
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Belly Drum
    - Rest
    - Fire Punch
    - Stone Edge

So you belly drum and become a special... The opponent will probably switch to deal with this which is when you rest up and become your max-attacked sweeper, taking out their switch-in and probably some other things too.

And the real Zen
    Darmanitan @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Flamethrower
    - Grass Knot
    - Psychic

Substitute brings you down to below 50% after three uses (leftovers taken into account), activating your ability. Then you're free to be annoying until something kills you - which is probably very shortly due to your awful speed... Yeah, this ability really does fail but it was the best I could do with it :/

Quote Originally Posted by Aerodact View Post
    Really don't like using this one... And I'll look forward to the overall picture of all the sets we come up with Anyway, here's mine:

Choice POWER
    Darmanitan @ Choice Band
    Trait: Encourage
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk) / Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Flare Blitz
    - Superpower
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn

Hello Flare Blitz with 360 base power... This set makes a pretty powerful late-game sweeper but can also help chip in a bit of damage before the mighty sweep with U-Turn. Superpower and Stone Edge are other options which cover some other types and also do a lot of damage Earthquake could have got in but is slightly outclassed by the other moves from Darmanitan's versatile move pool.
    Use rock slide over stone edge. It gets the Sheer Force/Encourage boost, whereas stone edge doesn't. This puts it at ~105BP, and it retains its significantly better accuracy when compared to stone edge.
    FINE. I'LL MAKE A SIGNATURE

My White team:
    Reserves:

I claimed Plusle. I don't know what claiming it does, but I claimed it.

A +6 Att 10th round metronome Helping-Hand boosted Max Attack Victini V-Generate vs. a -6 Def Min. Defense min. HP Paras in Sun does 135516-159432 damage, or 75286.7%-88573.3%

Quote Originally Posted by Aerodact View Post
    I think using a Zen Mode Darmanitan is pretty ridiculous but the element of surprise is worth considering I guess...
    Belly Drumming makes me wanna rest..."
    Darmanitan @ Chesto Berry
    - Belly Drum
    - Rest
    - Fire Punch
    - Stone Edge

So you belly drum and become a special... The opponent will probably switch to deal with this which is when you rest up and become your max-attacked sweeper, taking out their switch-in and probably some other things too.
    Okay, what's the point of zen mode if it's a Belly drummer? Anyway, Zen mode only has base 30 speed, so max speed won't help it.

Here are 2 I'm working on so far:

Heeeerrrrrrrreeeeeee's Darmanitan!
    Darmanitan @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide/ Stone Edge
    - Fire Punch/ Flare Blitz
    - U-Turn/ Brick Break

Earthquake hits a lot for A LOT of damage. Rock Slide gets Sheer Force boosted while Stone Edge is slightly stronger (Also, Rock Slide won't make you take Life Orb recoil). Flare Blitz if you don't mind taking recoil, Fire Punch if you do mind. U-Turn hits Psychic/ Dark types (Espeon/ Zoroark) while Brick Break hits Slaking. Life Orb hits them for more damage and Rock Slide/ Fire Punch/ Flare Blitz can get the boost without recoil.

Wait...so which one is this?
    Darmanitan @ Life Orb
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Earthquake
    - Flamethrower
    - Psychic
    - Grass Knot

The trick I'm trying to get to work is to have 2 Darmanitans of the same gender and similar moves (ergo Earthquake returns.) It has good coverage and should work for a turn or 2 before you drop to half health. When you do, Flamethrower and Psychic are equally strong STABs while Grass Knot takes care of any Water type that tries to counter you (Swampert). Life Orb can give the Special Attacks a boost as well, and the recoil will make it easier to get Zen Mode activated.

A word of warning though, these tactics will probably fail if both are in a double/ triple battle at the same time and/or are up against Flying types/ Pokemon with Levitate. Fire Punch could be added to the Zen set to give more coverage when above half health to counter this.

This was my 1st (and probably very poor) attempt at PotW so don't be TOO synical about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Okay, what's the point of zen mode if it's a Belly drummer? Anyway, Zen mode only has base 30 speed, so max speed won't help it.
    Zen Mode has base 55 Speed. Not as bad but still very bad!

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygowing View Post
    Here are 2 I'm working on so far:

Heeeerrrrrrrreeeeeee's Darmanitan!
    Darmanitan @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    - Belly Drum
    - Rock Slide
    - Flare Blitz
    - U-Turn

Earthquake hits a lot for A LOT of damage. Rock Slide gets Sheer Force boosted while Stone Edge is slightly stronger (Also, Rock Slide won't make you take Life Orb recoil). Flare Blitz if you don't mind taking recoil, Fire Punch if you do mind. U-Turn hits Psychic/ Dark types (Espeon/ Zoroark) while Brick Break hits Slaking. Life Orb hits them for more damage and Rock Slide/ Fire Punch/ Flare Blitz can get the boost without recoil.

Wait...so which one is this?
    Darmanitan @ Life Orb
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SpDf
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Focus Blast

- Flamethrower
    - Psychic
    - Grass Knot

The trick I'm trying to get to work is to have 2 Darmanitans of the same gender and similar moves (ergo Earthquake returns.) It has good coverage and should work for a turn or 2 before you drop to half health. When you do, Flamethrower and Psychic are equally strong STABs while Grass Knot takes care of any Water type that tries to counter you (Swampert). Life Orb can give the Special Attacks a boost as well, and the recoil will make it easier to get Zen Mode activated.

A word of warning though, these tactics will probably fail if both are in a double/ triple battle at the same time and/or are up against Flying types/ Pokemon with Levitate. Fire Punch could be added to the Zen set to give more coverage when above half health to counter this.

This was my 1st (and probably very poor) attempt at PotW so don't be TOO synical about it!
    Improvement are in bold, yellow.
    Zen Mode sets should not bother with Speed, it has rubbish Speed to start with, so don't bother trying.

I just thought of something.

In a double and triple battle, if you want to use the Zen Mode, heal beam works great.

I just thought of something.

In a double and triple battle, if you want to use the Zen Mode, heal beam works great.
    Not since Heal Beam restores half, so unless you have less than 0 HP, it wouldn't do much good.
    Originally posted by: R4GEKILL!!! No need for STAB. STAB is stupid.
    LULZ

"Yes, I will see you through the smoke and flames on the frontlines of war and I will stand my ground until the end, until we conquer them all."

Black:5286 2326 2599
    I rather adore music. I less than three it. <3

"Let's believe that if we all stand together, we're a force that could shake the whole world. For once I'm doing something right when we say, 'Woah, woah.'"

I'll battle anything as long as I've got Pokemon to put the team together.

Not since Heal Beam restores half, so unless you have less than 0 HP, it wouldn't do much good.
    what does that mean? What I meant was with heal beam, you can have a Zen Mode with full HP.

what does that mean? What I meant was with heal beam, you can have a Zen Mode with full HP.
    Zen Mode gets cancelled if Health is restored over 50%. sorry! if that was the case, that would be awesome!

Just like Sunny put, once the HP is over 50%, it reverts back to normal Darmanitan. In theory, it'd be a good idea, but he'd just change back.
    Originally posted by: R4GEKILL!!! No need for STAB. STAB is stupid.
    LULZ

"Yes, I will see you through the smoke and flames on the frontlines of war and I will stand my ground until the end, until we conquer them all."

Black:5286 2326 2599
    I rather adore music. I less than three it. <3

"Let's believe that if we all stand together, we're a force that could shake the whole world. For once I'm doing something right when we say, 'Woah, woah.'"

I'll battle anything as long as I've got Pokemon to put the team together.

So what would happen if Darmianiton had Odd HP(ends with 1,3,5,etc) and used Belly Drum, would it be one HP away from Zen Mode?

Zen mode sets are gimmicky and bad, so it really doesn't matter.

^I agree with epic eevee. But I'll try to make one anyway.

Darmanitan@Leftovers
    Ability:Zen Mode
    Evs: 252 HP, 126 Atk., 126 Sp. Atk.,
    Substitute
    Work Up
    Earth Quake
    Psychic

Zen Mode's hugely gimmicky anyway you slice it. Work Up raises both Atk. and Sp. Atk, so it prevents you from being setup bait at either time. Earthquake at normal, Psychic at Zen. You will be completely walled by Hydreigon, but that doesn't terribly matter because you're going to be walled by something anytime you use Zen Mode.
    Last edited by chanseychansey77; 26th March 2011 at 10:58 PM.

There is no STAB in that set, Why Earthquake?
    It is Physical and unnecessary.
    Zen Mode@Leftovers
    252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 SpD
    -Substitute
    -Flamethrower
    -Psychic
    -Grass Knot/HP Ice
    That is a much better Zen Mode set.

How about sub-punch?
    @Life Orb/Leftovers/Sheer Force
    4 HP/ 252 Attack/ 252 Speed
    -Substitute
    -Flare Blitz/ Fire Punch
    -Focus Punch
    -Rock Slide/Earthquake
    Last edited by Turpise; 27th March 2011 at 4:18 AM.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Turpise View Post
    How about sub-punch?
    @Life Orb/Leftovers/Sheer Force
    4 HP/ 252 Attack/ 252 Speed
    -Substitute
    -Flare Blitz/ Fire Punch
    -Focus Punch
    -Rock Slide/Earthquake
    It'll probably work, but what nature?

I suggest Jolly.

How about an Encore set?
    Jolly/252 Att/252spee
    Sheer Force/LifeOrb
    -Encore
    -WorkUp/FlameCharge/Substitute/U-turn
    -FirePunch/FlareBlitz
    -Rockslide/Earthquake/U-turn

Use Encore to set up or help a team mate sett up. Just encore Swords dance or something like that.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 27th March 2011 at 4:31 AM.

Adamant/Jolly

It can work but it will die very fast
    Last edited by Archangel; 27th March 2011 at 7:45 AM. Reason: double post merged
    [

Quote Originally Posted by Turpise View Post
    It can work but it will die very fast
    Maybe not a Flame charge one, or perhaps it could be given leftovers(If it has U-turn).

Oh, and be careful about double posting, it's against the rules. You can edit post instead.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345