Thread: Chaining Pokemon help me!

Question Chaining Pokemon help me!

Ok so I'm confused and have some questions on this method. I've read guides watched videos and still am having trouble... Here are some questions I have

1. You are supposed to go to the patch that is the farthest away, at least four, but what do you do when the patch farthest fromyou is close to the edge or wall?
    2. Do you always need to see four patches shaking?
    3. I have trouble remembering where each patch is, any tips?
    4. Where is the best place to chain for beginners?

If anyone else has questions on chaining or can help please post here! Hopefully we can help one another.

Thanks to everyone who helped! Hopefully i can do this right this time!
    Last edited by PferdloverX3; 25th March 2011 at 6:51 PM.

Pokemon White FC: 3568 2373 9948
    Pokemon Black 2 FC: 3225 5860 7558

Shinies:
    Lvl 60
    Lvl 50
    Lvl 35
    Lvl 50
    Lvl 75
    Lvl 100
    Lvl 50
    Lvl 37
    Lvl 25
    Lvl 30

Offers;

Looking For:

Personally, I find that the serebii chaining guide is a little lacking. The one here has better instructions on specifically which of the 4-away patches are good to enter. A lot of the time, even though there are 4 patches and there's one that's flashing far away from you, none of them will be safe to enter. Despite that, even the safest patches never carry a 100% guarantee. I've broken a few chains on patches that have had a 95% chance of being good... Always on Route 230. *grumble*

1. For those patches, run 50 steps back and forth and use the Pokéradar again until you see a patch that's not touching a wall or edge.
    2. You don't *need* to, but it's safer if you do. Frankly I don't bother unless the chain is over 15-20.
    3. If you forget where your patches are, which I do frequently, just run back and forth in a known safe area and reset your radar. The shaking patches close to you are the most important because you're the most likely to stumble into those and break your chain if you forget where they are. Because of this, make sure to take note of those ones before anything else, which should simplify things a bit.
    4. It's not so much the easiest "place" but the easiest pokémon. Swarming pokémon that can have their encounter rates manipulated somehow are the easiest to chain. Pokemon that can be magnet-pulled or staticked are good - magnemite are ideal for a beginning chainer and a lot of people cut their teeth on these before starting on harder chains. If you're looking for a wide-open grassy area, Route 230 has a huge grassy patch that will result in very few ideal 4-aways landing on the edges and corners, but I personally have absolutely no luck chaining there.
        Spoiler:- Shinies and stuff:

Diamond FC: 5371-8222-0575
    Black FC: 0991-1219-1207

Be warned that not all of the guides agree, but generally: avoid the farthest corner patches, they seem to have a very high break rate. I've read it but cannot confirm or deny it, patches that are directly beside or diagonal to one another can cause the odds to change.

And yes, you can go into a "perfect" patch a dozen times and it break, then go into the absolute worst spot (1 step away of the opposite type) and it end up staying the same. It can be very frustrating at times.
    Shiny Semi-Flawless/Flawless (5th gen):

Working on Learning 5th gen RNG.
    Diamond FC: 4213 0213 1340
    Black FC: 2666 8273 4049

Yay, I've claimed Charizard .

1. You are supposed to go to the patch that is the farthest away, at least four, but what do you do when the patch farthest fromyou is close to the edge or wall?
    Generally it's best to aim for a shaking patch that's at least 4 spaces away from you but it doesn't necessarilly have to be the farthest shaking patch for it to be the safest. The best thing to do when you find yourself in this situation is to have a look at the patches surrounding the farthest shaking patch. If there are other shaking patches nearby then it's probably ok but if it is isolated from the other shaking patches then chances are it will break your chain. To answer the question if there are no shaking patches nearby the farthest shaking patch then just go to the next safest shaking patch or else just reset the pokeradar until you see a shaking patch that you like.

2. Do you always need to see four patches shaking?
    No but it's best if you do see four shaking patches. If you see less than four shaking patches then this will increase the chances of running into a Pokemon that will break your chain. This usually happens when your standing on the edge of a grassy area which will cause some or all of the shaking patches to fall outside of the grassy area. The best thing to do in this situation is to carefully move your character towards the center of the grassy area and reset the pokeradar until you see four shaking patches.

3. I have trouble remembering where each patch is, any tips?
    No sorry.

4. Where is the best place to chain for beginners?
    I would suggest trying to chain Pokemon with high encounter rates such as bidoof and starly which are pretty much everywhere in these games.
    Last edited by Ausgirl; 25th March 2011 at 2:24 PM.