Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: A basic guide to EVs, IVs and natures

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonash310 View Post
    Blue Harvest is there any way you can make a guide for held items? I'm so confused by what a pokemon should hold, I keep hearing Life Orb and some Sashes. What do they even do? I looked up Life Orb and it increases attack at the cost of hp but is it worth it?
    I probably will at some point in the future. An item guide won't take long because theres a grand total of maybe 10 that are actually useful.

Focus Sash is ONLY good on leads (unless you're playing 5th gen then team preview makes them reasonable on one or two non-leads (but DON'T go overboard with them as they are useless once Stealth Rocks is used).

Life Orb gives you a 30% boost at the cost of 10% your health for each Attack you use. It is EXTREMELY good. Pokemon like Infernape or Lucario just don't have the power to sweep without it.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow000 View Post
    alot of my pokemon have lax nature. I dont want to train my pokemon up to the 80's from lvl one!!! HELP!!!
    Find someone friendly enough to do it for you. Many people hack 99,999 Rare Candies so it only takes like 5 minutes to level a Pokemon up that way.

is it possible to EV train a lvl 100 pokemon. If so, how?

Spoiler:- Credits:

^ Just EV train it as normal and then put it into the PC, this adds all the EVs you have gained to your stats (assuming they have not got maxed out EVs already).
    Signature edited due to exceeding height, image size, spoiler, and font size limits. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.
    3DS fc: 0301 9796 4544

Spoiler:- My dw females, will trade for any I don't have::

Default Tyranitar Ev's - HELP?!

--I am on pokemon black here--

I have been redirected to this forum and found this very useful guide on ev's and iv's, it was helpful in some cases but i'll tell you my dilemma and see if you can help.

Right, i have a Tyranitar whos nature is Jolly and i have bred him so he has dragon dance, i would like a fully ev trained tyranitar with 252 attack evs, 252 speed evs and 4 hp evs. Well, this is what http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/tyranitar website has said anyway. I have looked on sites such as serebii, and they say you can level your speed evs by killing basculin on route 3. I have killed several and my Tyranitar who is level 60 and his speed has gone up a bit but is now staying at one place. Does this mean it i cannot do it any more? I have used 10 speed vitamins on it already as a larvitar at level 1 (I think it is Zinc i used? Im not 100% sure). It is definately the one that raises base speed. I try to use another one now and it says it will have no effect. I'm just wondering why the basculin are not levelling my speed ev's and also should i just continue levelling? or would it be a waste of time? What plan of action should i take? If you think i should start over with a new larvitar can you tell me exactly what to do because this is my first pokemon i have ev trained and im finding it hard to get around. I have read loads of websites about ev's but none are helping me with my problem. I would be very greatful if someone could help me.

You can't use Vitamins once the EVs in that stat reach 100.

If you used the vitamins at level 1, then raised TTar to level 60 you probably collected a bunch of unwanted EVs from the battles it took part in (unless you raised it with Rare Candies or the Daycare). Also use Carbos for speed not Zinc.

Give a new Larvitar 10 Carbos and 10 Protein.
    Let it hold a Power Weight and KO 25 Basculin. Then remove the Power Weight and kill two more. This will equal 252 Speed.
    Then give it Power.. uhh.. Bracer I think (the one that boosts attack.. it says it in its description) and KO 30 Lillipup and / or Patrat. Then remove the Power item and faint two more. This equals 252 Attack EVs.
    Last step is to find and faint two Stunfisk (you don't need to hold an item). This equals 4 HP EVs.

EV training is annoyingly complicated but once you get the basic rules down its pretty easy. Just some basic math. Hope I helped!

Oh, okay, so im starting a new larvitar, 10 carbos, and 10 protein, but where do i get the power weight from? and how can i ko a basculin with a level 1 larvitar? because if i use another pokemon, doesnt it mess up the evs?

You can get power items from the battle subway.

Lead with the level 1 Larvitar and switch to something else for the KO. EVs don't split like EXP does so this won't mess them up. Another way is to leave Larvitar in the daycare for a long time but this will probably be frustrating since a lot of those fish have a 4x effective Aqua Jet to hit you with.

oh okay, so i can start with my larvitar, then switch out to like, my emboar or something and ko it and the ev's will still be with larvitar? Oh and is there any way to get more than 3 points for winning 7 battles in the subway? or a faster way? I will be there for ages :/

Thats correct. Your Emboar also will get EVs but they won't split, they multiply. In other words it will work fine.

At battle 21 you fight the subway boss (or something). Hes not too hard and when you beat him you get 10 battle points. You can also do double battles with an AI partner. If your Pokemon suck the AI can usually do decent on its own.

okay so i just keep carrying on until i get what is it? power weight at 24 points or something?

16 each. Power Bracer and Power Anklet (though you'll eventually want all 6).

okay so after 21 battles i should be able to get it, 6 after 14 and 10 for the boss thanks for all your help! i really appreciate it

No problem ^_^

Learning EVs is a huge pain, just ask if you need anything else.

Hey Blue Harvest I'm playing Platinum which is 4th Gen but is it ok if I ask for help on this thread? My question is about EV reducing berries.

Sure, go ahead.

What are the berry's names, where can I find them and should I plant a whole bunch of them? I'm planing on making all my pokemon eat about 10-15 berries to reduce each stat so that they have no EV in any stat and then train them from the ground up. I could make things easier by trading for a female version of all my pokemon and breeding them to start from scratch but I like my current team and I want to start playing competitively.

http://www.pokefarm.com/berry-farmin...v-berries.html (I didn't actually read the article but it shows the berry names)

I have no idea where to get the berries in Black / White. I think they might be "event items" this gen.

Yes, plant a bunch. Plant as many as possible! They are SO USEFUL. Not just for EV training in-game Pokemon but also for changing your current EV spread to a new one.

Also you only need 11 berries per stat to fully clear out all the EVs. Maybe less if you have 100 EVs or less in that stat.

Blue harvest, im in the subway now battling guys for this power item, which power item is it? Is it the anklet because ive looked it up and it puts ev's in speed? Is that the one i need?

Thanks a bunch, this will help out a lot for my upcoming match. I just need to get my team rated lolz.

Quote Originally Posted by raza400 View Post
    Blue harvest, im in the subway now battling guys for this power item, which power item is it? Is it the anklet because ive looked it up and it puts ev's in speed? Is that the one i need?
    Yes

HP- Power Weight
    Atk- Power Bracer
    Def- Power Belt
    SAtk- Power Lens
    SDef- Power Band
    Spd- Power Anklet
    Ignore, thanks.

if you give a pokemon exp. share do the ev's go uo???

^ if you give a pokemon an exp share and EV train it then the pokemon with the exp share gets EXACTLY the amount of EVs that the defeated pokemon would normaly give. NOT any less and NOT any more if the pokemon who you used in battle has a macho brace/power item. I hope this makes sense.
    Signature edited due to exceeding height, image size, spoiler, and font size limits. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.
    3DS fc: 0301 9796 4544

Spoiler:- My dw females, will trade for any I don't have::

I believe I am correct in thinking that switching a pokemon out of battle when it is holding a lucky egg, will only gain experience and no effort values?

because I use this method to get movesets and high levels before I begin EV training (apart from vitamins, I will use those straight away as they're very easy to regulate), as it makes the whole process a lot easier.
    Soulsilver IGT:
    Soulsilver battle tower:

White IGT:
    Battle Subway:

platinum IGT:

Yellow (rom) IGT:
    Silver (rom) igt:

Quote Originally Posted by cheeselord View Post
    ^ if you give a pokemon an exp share and EV train it then the pokemon with the exp share gets EXACTLY the amount of EVs that the defeated pokemon would normaly give. NOT any less and NOT any more if the pokemon who you used in battle has a macho brace/power item. I hope this makes sense.
    This is correct. Effort Values (EVs) are not divided among the battle participants.

Former Champion of SerebiiForums.com

[img]http://i56.*******.com/2yy1js9.jpg[/img]

http://www.youtube.com/user/KingsOfPokemon
    Subscribe for the highest level competitive matches!

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast