Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: A basic guide to EVs, IVs and natures

Great guide! Helped explain how to EV train alot better then other things I have seen out there. Although you should add about when people use Pokerus+ a Power item (anklet, bracer etc.).
    Breeding+own: Jolly/Adamant Axew, Relaxed pineco, Impish Gligar, jolly/modest/adamant rioulu, jolly shroomish, Jolly Bagon, adamant scyther, relaxed mudkip, Naive Chimchar + Elekid, eevee's (many natures).
    Egg moves: larvitar w/ DD, Bagon w/ DD, Night Slash Axew, eevee w/ wish, Belly drum Charmander, suckerpunch Pwniard, Morning Sun growlithe, Ice punch Elekid etc.
    Looking for:, Female Pokemon w/ DW abilities, Shinies, battling items (choice bands/scarfs etc.), rare candies
    DW Poke's:
    Bored? Help me out by RMT: Synergistic, Balanced Thanks ^_^
    [/SPOILER]White FC Steven - 5243 1273 0091

also, you can battle victini as much as you want and he gives 3 HP, and has no immunity to electricity.
    [IMG]http://i54.*******.com/t9a1b7.jpg[/IMG]
    HG friend code : 4340 7324 1742
    Black Friend code : 1635 3818 5907

Thanks a lot for the guide! Now I have an easy way to breed/train the perfect Volcarona! (and others)
    Check out my newly-opened Trade Shop!!!
    ------------
    I have claimed Volcarona!
    ----------------
    FC: 3411 0844 2159

Instead of breedIng a volcarona I just transfered my modest alakazam with synchronize over and caught the lvl 70 one in relic castle, i only needed one soft reset to get a modest one!
    Last edited by cheeselord; 6th April 2011 at 12:09 AM.
    Signature edited due to exceeding height, image size, spoiler, and font size limits. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.
    3DS fc: 0301 9796 4544

Spoiler:- My dw females, will trade for any I don't have::

Well, it's still always good to have a bunch of Volcarona eggs in stock in case I want to trade one over...Or even hatch them and trade them at level 1. Besides, I need to retrain because I totally messed up on the EV's during training the hatchling I already got...
    Check out my newly-opened Trade Shop!!!
    ------------
    I have claimed Volcarona!
    ----------------
    FC: 3411 0844 2159

Quote Originally Posted by Kewzu View Post
    Hey i got a question i wanna train a pokemon for spatk at celestial tower which is 1 ev i have pokerus and the power item would the ev gain be 10 or 6?

1(EV) + 4(Item) X 2(PokeRus) = 10(Gain per Battle)

1(EV) X 2(Pokerus) + 4(Item) = 6(Gain per Battle)

i dunno if they apply pokerus or the item first
    I am also interested in this...

Credit for sig goes to: Me!

Spoiler:- Friend Codes:

Ok I have a few questions to ask.

In Platinum how does the EV system work? After reaching lvl 100, is there no more EVs to gain or will the EV training continue if you don't have the 508 points. Its 252 in 2 stats and 4 in another right?

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonash310 View Post
    Ok I have a few questions to ask.

In Platinum how does the EV system work? After reaching lvl 100, is there no more EVs to gain or will the EV training continue if you don't have the 508 points. Its 252 in 2 stats and 4 in another right?
    Stop gaining Evs at level 100, because EVs are caluclated after you gain a level (which is impossible at 100)

the 252/252/4 split is the simplest EV allocation, you can feasibly use any though. I think I have a tentacruel who currently has 252/124/134, but that's because I want him to be defensive whilst still being able to attack a little bit
    Soulsilver IGT:
    Soulsilver battle tower:

White IGT:
    Battle Subway:

platinum IGT:

Yellow (rom) IGT:
    Silver (rom) igt:

^ I agree, 252/252 isn't the only option but people seem to think it is, my ferrothorn is something like 252 hp, 100 def, 106 spdef, 50 atk. I can't remember exactly though.
    Signature edited due to exceeding height, image size, spoiler, and font size limits. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Since in BW you can ev train at lv 100, can you take a level 100 pokemon that isn't ev trained lower its stats with barries all the way and then ev train it??

My OU Party
    Pokemon Trainer threw a Haxball
    I AM THE PROUD OWNER OF A 3DS
    Ioliolk-user bar Zekerom-pokeball Gladeshadow-team pose TheDarkDragons-fusion Pokegirlforever- Walking pokemon
    Big thanks to all of you

^ yep, I think it is easier to breed though, plus these berries are not available yet in b/w.

As an amateur Breeder, I have a few things to add to this.

First off, the Pokerus is a bit more useful than you make it out to be, albeit a bit tricky to get. You can pass the pokerus to POKEMON AND EGGS in your party by battling. Any pokemon with a pokerus may pass it onto any pokemon they are adjacent to in the party ( place them in slot 3-4 for best results). And no, they don't have to participate in the battle itself, just being present in the party is sufficient.

Additionally, I believe the Pokerus doubles EV gained after the power item (allegedly, I've been having trouble confirming this) is accounted. Basically, that should make 1 EV with the corresponding Power item and a pokerus = 10 ev, which can cut your work in half.

I do have an important question however about EV-raising items. Does anyone know if Carbos, Health Wings, et. al. are affected by power items and/or Pokerus?

Quote Originally Posted by waternate View Post
    I believe I am correct in thinking that switching a pokemon out of battle when it is holding a lucky egg, will only gain experience and no effort values?

because I use this method to get movesets and high levels before I begin EV training (apart from vitamins, I will use those straight away as they're very easy to regulate), as it makes the whole process a lot easier.
    Actually, you kind of shot yourself in the foot with that one. You receive EV anytime you would get exp.

If you want the pokemon's moves faster, I recommend keeping it in it's unevolved state as long as possible (when applicable). The best ways to level up without adding EV's are the daycare and Rare candies via pickup. In the meantime, give them placeholder attacks that will get them through the training, then you can grind exp for the rest of your moveset.

So for an example, I want Oshawott to learn Swords Dance (level 41), first thing I do is stick him in the daycare until he's at about level 20, then start grinding EV without evolving. Once I hit level 41, I now evolve and have Samurott lvl 42 with swords dance instead of waiting for lvl 57.
    Last edited by tieegg; 9th April 2011 at 1:21 AM.

Just a question, I'm trying to max the special atk and the speed of my Larvesta and I read that a power lens (A Pokémon held item that promotes Sp. Atk gain on leveling, but reduces the Speed stat) can help gain +4EVs/defeated opponent for special atk.

Can I know how using a power lens will affect my Larvesta's speed (EV or otherwise)? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Trance View Post
    Just a question, I'm trying to max the special atk and the speed of my Larvesta and I read that a power lens (A Pokémon held item that promotes Sp. Atk gain on leveling, but reduces the Speed stat) can help gain +4EVs/defeated opponent for special atk.

Can I know how using a power lens will affect my Larvesta's speed (EV or otherwise)? Thanks!
    It just slows you temporarily in battle. ( Such as Iron Ball ) Your actual Speed stat shouldn't suffer.

Former Champion of SerebiiForums.com

[img]http://i56.*******.com/2yy1js9.jpg[/img]

http://www.youtube.com/user/KingsOfPokemon
    Subscribe for the highest level competitive matches!

Quote Originally Posted by lunar22 View Post
    It just slows you temporarily in battle. ( Such as Iron Ball ) Your actual Speed stat shouldn't suffer.
    Oh. That's awesome.. Thanks once again!

I still find EVs and Natures and Characteristics and all that stuff confusing, and I've been a fan since FireRed/LeafGreen! Well, I know how to do the basic stuff, but not that advanced Breeding stuff that many people do.

Credit to Pika Pal Lyra

Quote Originally Posted by tieegg View Post
    As an amateur Breeder, I have a few things to add to this.

First off, the Pokerus is a bit more useful than you make it out to be, albeit a bit tricky to get. You can pass the pokerus to POKEMON AND EGGS in your party by battling. Any pokemon with a pokerus may pass it onto any pokemon they are adjacent to in the party ( place them in slot 3-4 for best results). And no, they don't have to participate in the battle itself, just being present in the party is sufficient.

Additionally, I believe the Pokerus doubles EV gained after the power item (allegedly, I've been having trouble confirming this) is accounted. Basically, that should make 1 EV with the corresponding Power item and a pokerus = 10 ev, which can cut your work in half.

I do have an important question however about EV-raising items. Does anyone know if Carbos, Health Wings, et. al. are affected by power items and/or Pokerus?
    The question is, how do you get it?

Credit to Pika Pal Lyra

You run around, find wild pokemon, fight them, faint them, and run to the pokemon center and talk to nurse joy who will tell you if you have it.
    Ignore, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Inchtall View Post
    The question is, how do you get it?
    You can randomly receive it from battling wild pokemon (i think the pokemon have to make contact, so physical attacks would be better) or from trading with someone awesome, like me.

also, since you seem so interested, the pokerus is no longer contagious as of midnight. The only way to prolong it is to put the contagious pokemon in your box overnight, which will prolong it indefinitely.
    Last edited by tieegg; 9th April 2011 at 7:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeoneIGuess View Post
    You run around, find wild pokemon, fight them, faint them, and run to the pokemon center and talk to nurse joy who will tell you if you have it.
    This or the completely simpler and easier way; have a friend who already has it trade a pokemon with it. This way you can infect your own Pokemon.

Former Champion of SerebiiForums.com

[img]http://i56.*******.com/2yy1js9.jpg[/img]

http://www.youtube.com/user/KingsOfPokemon
    Subscribe for the highest level competitive matches!

Default Ev's!

I have fully trained my larvitar so he has 252 attack evs, 252 speed evs and 4 hp evs, can i just level him up with exp share now? will the evs not change?

Yes. That's right.

In black and white were is the guy who tells you about your pokemons IVs. The guy in the battle tower is my friend

My OU Party
    Pokemon Trainer threw a Haxball
    I AM THE PROUD OWNER OF A 3DS
    Ioliolk-user bar Zekerom-pokeball Gladeshadow-team pose TheDarkDragons-fusion Pokegirlforever- Walking pokemon
    Big thanks to all of you

Just in the entrance area of the battle subway, he looks like an ace trainer if I remember correctly.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast