Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: A basic guide to EVs, IVs and natures

Is it possible to still EV Train a lvl 100 pokemon? I had seen a video of someones lvl 100 pokemon fighting a bunch of patrats and ending up getting an attack EV point after 4 of them. Any truth to that or is that some sort of process you have to go through before hand.

Yes it is possible, check a few pages back on this thread.
    Signature edited due to exceeding height, image size, spoiler, and font size limits. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.
    3DS fc: 0301 9796 4544

Spoiler:- My dw females, will trade for any I don't have::

OK so I have a level 1 Hydreigon, and I want to get EVs: 4HP|252Spd|252Atk.

I would have to beat 2 Stunfish, 126 Basculin, and 252 Patrat. Right?

Yup. Or much a much easier way would be, 10 carbos, 10 pritein, 2 stunfisk, 30 lilipups (holding power bracer), 2 lilipups (not holding power bracer), 25 basculins (holding power anklet), 1 basculiin (not holding power anklet). This way is a bit more complicated but much faster!
    Signature edited due to exceeding height, image size, spoiler, and font size limits. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.

It will work exactly the same only it will be a lot slower to do, if you are unexperienced, however, then what k13 said may seem simpler. Regarding the exp share I have an in depth post on the matter a few pages back on this very thread.

Quote Originally Posted by David13 View Post
    Ok thanks I read it, so exp share works perfectly the same. Last question you get to use 10 vitamins in each one one the stats untill your total ev goes to 508. So i can use 10 Protein, 10 carbos, 10 zinc, 10 iron, and 10 hp up all in one pokemon, correct?
    Yes, that would bring you up to 500 total, but you might want to do some actual EV training so it is really good in one particular stat. Rounding out the EVs is basically the same effect you'd get by battling random pokemon, wasting money (and, more importantly, potential).

Btw, EVs can go up to 510, but 508 is the highest number under it divisible by 4, so the extra 2 don't really matter. The only case where you'd really need to know this is in the event that you accidentally gain 1 or 2 EVs in an unwanted area, and you should know that one or two EVs don't matter as you'll still be able to get the 508 you desire.

EDIT: Just a note to all who are discouraged: don't be. After EV training like 20 pokemon, I can do it in under a half hour. My point: You get used to it eventually. The breeding is the long and boring part, I can't help you much with that :P. (Remember the power item and everstone tricks, though [and synchronize].)

Quote Originally Posted by tieegg View Post
    I do have an important question however about EV-raising items. Does anyone know if Carbos, Health Wings, et. al. are affected by power items and/or Pokerus?
    No, EV raising one-time-use items are not affected.

Quote Originally Posted by cheeselord View Post
    ^ if you give a pokemon an exp share and EV train it then the pokemon with the exp share gets EXACTLY the amount of EVs that the defeated pokemon would normaly give. NOT any less and NOT any more if the pokemon who you used in battle has a macho brace/power item. I hope this makes sense.
    Pokerus still takes effect, but only if the pokemon with the Exp. Share has it.

-Andrew
    Last edited by ASB; 12th April 2011 at 3:27 AM. Reason: Even more various helpful stuff.

NOTICE: Above White FC is no longer valid. FC is now 0562-2001-5885.

Awesome pic by xPrincessAmanda.

John 3:36, John 3:16, Romans 6:23, Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8, John 14:6, Ephesians 2:8-9, Acts 3:19
    Join the Serebii Christian Alliance - http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=368080

Quote Originally Posted by David13 View Post
    ok so if i want maxed out attack ev i can give 10 protien and kill 152 Patrat. correct?
    If the pokemon has no pokerus or power items. Give it pokerus and a power bracer and all you'll have to do is kill 15 then one without the bracer to get 152 (after 10 proteins. Give it the proteins first, as they only effect the first 100 EVs).

Don't have pokerus? You can find tons of ppl who can trade it to you, I being one of them. I'm not available right now, so try to find someone else.

John 3:36, John 3:16, Romans 6:23, Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8, John 14:6, Ephesians 2:8-9, Acts 3:19
    Join the Serebii Christian Alliance - http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=368080

David helped me with alot of questions. Final post for me if i want to get my hydragon to get EVs: 4HP|252Spd|252Atk.

I would need to beat 2 stunfish, use 10 speed vitamins and kill 26 basculin, and use 10 attack vitamins and kill 152 patrat. Correct? Would that equal 4HP|252Spd|252Atk? With NO pokerus or power item
    Last edited by K13; 12th April 2011 at 4:01 AM. Reason: sa

Quote Originally Posted by K13 View Post
    David helped me with alot of questions. Final post for me if i want to get my hydragon to get EVs: 4HP|252Spd|252Atk.

I would need to beat 2 stunfish, use 10 speed vitamins and kill 26 basculin, and use 10 attack vitamins and kill 152 patrat. Correct? Would that equal 4HP|252Spd|252Atk? With NO pokerus or power item
    No, 76 Basculin. I think this was just a typo on your part. I'm tellin y'all, use pokerus and power items at all costs. They cut down the time needed by like 90%. If you don't use them the first time, you'll get done and subconsciously decide it was so boring and time-consuming that you never want to do it again. Don't blame me if you get bored. :P

So am I screwed for not using vitamins before EV training first? I accidentally forgot to do it on one of my pokemon. =(

Going to be pain in the *** to get another copy of it, at least, I only have to worry about nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Primera Stark View Post
    So am I screwed for not using vitamins before EV training first? I accidentally forgot to do it on one of my pokemon. =(

Going to be pain in the *** to get another copy of it, at least, I only have to worry about nature.
    Not really, the vitamins are only good for 100 ev's, which is easy enough to get by battling

Quote Originally Posted by 11tjcoulombe View Post
    Not really, the vitamins are only good for 100 ev's, which is easy enough to get by battling
    But the thing is that I already started leveling it in Elite Four.

To those of you who are new to EV training don't fret if you screw it up a little. Just do the best you can and over time as you get better and more experienced EV training will become second nature.

The first few Pokemon you EV train will probably become useless a few years down the road anyway as you get better. For example I have maybe 20~ EV trained Pokemon I never use because their movesets, IVs and natures are so bad they just aren't worth putting on a team. But they were great practice!

btw I think I confirmed that the pokerus doubles EV from power items. Also I have trouble counting to 510.

So, I gave Oshawott a power bracer and pokerus. then I KO'd 9 pokes on Route 1 for 1 Atk EV a piece. I then gave him two proteins, but the second one didn't take. if it calculated it before, I would have taken the second one. Sound logic?

by StonE EdgE

by Pyroecstacy

The way I count is by using pp, assuming all you moves have 100% accuracy and OHKO the opponent then you can easily work out the number defeated, otherwise just write it down on a tally chart.

Edit: and yes your logic is pretty sound but you should always use vitamins first, because after you have 100 EVs in a stat then they don't work.
    Last edited by cheeselord; 12th April 2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Z

I remember my very first bred and EV trained pokemon... Sassy Max SDef and HP Tangrowth. Great pokemon, but I gave it a pretty crappy moveset.

Before that point, I had a primitive form of EV training which I call "Slap a Power Weight on it and hope for the best." Lololol.

EDIT:
    The way I count is by using pp, assuming all you moves have 100% accuracy and OHKO the opponent then you can easily work out the number defeated, otherwise just write it down on a tally chart.
    Exactly what I do, works like a charm unless you miss or can't OHKO (or you need to kill a lot of pokemon and you don't have a lot of PP). If it doesn't work for any of these reasons, I just count in my head, repeating the number I have left over and over and over and over and over again.
    Last edited by ASB; 13th April 2011 at 3:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ASB View Post
    Before that point, I had a primitive form of EV training which I call "Slap a Power Weight on it and hope for the best." Lololol.
    lol, I did the same thing. I still have a 252 Defense / 256 ??? Impish Serene Grace Blissey with Defense Curl / Softboiled / Water Pulse / Calm Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    lol, I did the same thing. I still have a 252 Defense / 256 ??? Impish Serene Grace Blissey with Defense Curl / Softboiled / Water Pulse / Calm Mind.
    *brofist*

EDIT: I didn't even choose a good stat for a particular pokemon, I just thought "HURR DURR, every 'mon benefits from HP."
    Last edited by ASB; 13th April 2011 at 6:01 AM.

Back when I was a noob, my first EV trained pokemon was an alakazam with 255 spd, 255 atk and thunder punch, fire punch, ice punch and psycho cut. This was because I thought if I EV trained it, it's crappy attack would become awsome.

Back when I was a noob, my first EV trained pokemon was an alakazam with 255 spd, 255 atk and thunder punch, fire punch, ice punch and psycho cut. This was because I thought if I EV trained it, it's crappy attack would become awsome.
    Hahaha, I just finished my first EV trained pokemon. It's a Deino with 252 SpA, 64 HP and 192 Spe. Then I realised it had a nature that hindered SpA and helped Att *facepalm* Ah well, I'll still use it. I love Deino and it's evolutions.

Lol, timid or modest is the way to go.

Are there any competitive benefits to evolving a pokemon?

Quote Originally Posted by iBlade View Post
    Are there any competitive benefits to evolving a pokemon?
    -_-

yes obviouslly, better stats, and moves, and some even abilitys. however with the new item Eviolite, some pokemon are good unevolved, but not to many

<--- edit: were the **** did this come from i didnt put this here -_-
    Quote Originally Posted by charizardreams View Post
    Hahaha, I just finished my first EV trained pokemon. It's a Deino with 252 SpA, 64 HP and 192 Spe. Then I realised it had a nature that hindered SpA and helped Att *facepalm* Ah well, I'll still use it. I love Deino and it's evolutions.
    just switched its SpA EV's into Att, adamant Hydreigon is still really good and brings an element of suprise because most are specially based. it gets moves like U-Turn, Crunch, Earthquake, Outrage, and more, those are of the top of my head

Lol, a wild carracosta apeared!

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast