Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: A basic guide to EVs, IVs and natures

awesome~ i nvr knew wut pokes gave which ev's in 5th gen, this helps alot

Quote Originally Posted by Fa7e View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iBlade View Post
    Are there any competitive benefits to evolving a pokemon?
    -_-

yes obviouslly, better stats, and moves, and some even abilitys. however with the new item Eviolite, some pokemon are good unevolved, but not to many
    I thought all stats and moves were determined by level. Is that untrue? It's what I interpreted when I read in all the game mechanics articles on the site. Do abilities change as pokemon evolve? My serperior hasn't had a new ability since I got him as my first pokemon. I don't see what is obvious about my question.
    Last edited by iBlade; 13th April 2011 at 8:00 PM.

They are determined by level but evolving gives them an enormous boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    They are determined by level but evolving gives them an enormous boost.
    Evolving gives stats a boost? How so? A boost to your moves? How so? Please direct me to an informational article or post that explains this. I've been unable to find any description of how evolving offers any benefit.

I thought it was common sense lol. When you evolve your Pokemon gets stronger in all stats (HP, Attack etc).

Ok then. Thanks for the heads up. How much do pokemon gain in stats at each evolution? Do all pokemon gain the same at each evolution or does it depend on how many evolutions a particular pokemon can undergo? Are pokemon without a stage 2 evolution at a significant disadvantage?

Depends on the pokemon that's evolving, and how high it's stats are compared to it's preevolution. The higher the evolutions stats are, the higher it's stats will be when of evolves

Ok cool. Think i found what im looking for. ty

I think I may need to mention that some pokemon's stats can go DOWN as they evolve, eg: porygon-z's defences and scizor's speed.
    Signature edited due to exceeding height, image size, spoiler, and font size limits. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.
    3DS fc: 0301 9796 4544

Spoiler:- My dw females, will trade for any I don't have::

So then whats the deal with IVs? Bulbapedia doesn't help much and I need it dumbed down and how I can manipulate it if possible because I'm getting into breeding.

Basicaly when you encounter a pokemon each of it's statshas a random number from 0-31 assigned to it, this is called an IV (indervidual value). When a pokemon is at lvl 100 it will have one more point in each stat for every IV in that stat. As for how to breed for them, I have no idea, I'm not very good at breeding!
    Signature edited due to exceeding height, image size, spoiler, and font size limits. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Breakdown: Stats are based on Base stats, nature, IVs, and EVs (and of course, level). When a pokemon evolves, its base stats change only. Pokemon that are second and third forms have much higher base stats than their first forms (in nearly all cases. Sometimes, one stat will go up and another will go down, and there are a rare few exceptions like Scizor and Shedinja.)
    Last edited by ASB; 13th April 2011 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Typo fixed.

NOTICE: Above White FC is no longer valid. FC is now 0562-2001-5885.

Awesome pic by xPrincessAmanda.

John 3:36, John 3:16, Romans 6:23, Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8, John 14:6, Ephesians 2:8-9, Acts 3:19
    Join the Serebii Christian Alliance - http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=368080

Tyvm for the awesome guide!!

Quote Originally Posted by ASB View Post
    Breakdown: Stats are based on Base stats, nature, IVs, and EVs (and of course, level). When a pokemon evolves, its base stats change only. Pokemon that are second and third forms have much higher base stats than their first forms (in nearly all cases. Sometimes, one stat will go up and another will go down, and there are a rare few exceptions like Scizor and Shedinja.)

Nicely put, this is easier to understand than what I put.

Nice read best one I've seen so far...

Wouldnt telling where the effort checker is be cool for beginner?

She's in Opelucid. House above the Pokemon center if I remember correctly.

Excuse this post if its not in precisely the correct area. I've had more luck getting responses here.

Black is my first Pokemon game. My pool of pokemon is limited but I've finished the core storyline and acquired the promotional Victini. I thought that would be a good choice for training my first competitive pokemon. I read up on natures, EVs and IVs but am limited in practice. What I'd like is a well-rounded comptetive pokemon that would be a welcome addition to just about any team I might make. This Victini is of modest nature (+Sp.Att,-Att) so I figure I'd focus on special attacks. His promotional physical attack looks super-awesome but I don't have it and from what I can tell his special attacks are pretty solid.

Victini (fire/psychic)
    modest
    252 HP, 252 Sp.Att, 4 Speed

My thought is that the extra HP bulk is better for a general-use Pokemon since I don't know what teams he might be in, or if he will be for 1v1, 3v3 or whatever format. I don't really even know what the various formats are since I'm brand new to this. Reviewing team construction, I've seen that most attack pokemon are termed sweepers and usually choose speed over HP. I'd like to know if I should follow suit and put 252 in speed.

Thank you in advance for advice.

I checked this guy's IVs and unfortunately they are bad. Closest estimate is HP 8, Att 2, Def 2, SpA 18, SpD 19, Spe 21. At least the higher numbers are in decent stats. I don't know if that information will help you give advice on how I should proceed. So far I've put 252 EVs into SpA.

@ iBlade- Speed would be a good idea, Victini isn't particularly the tankiest pokemon out there. It has good stats all-around, but it has more sweepi9ng potential, though Timid natured ones would be better.

Also, PP Maxes and Rare Candies can be found every day after beating the Veteran Trainers or Day-Care Teachers in the Sports Domes respectively. Just reset and go back to the Sports Domes at the beginning of a day until you see what you want. PP Maxes are pretty much impossible to find otherwise, so I farm them there.

John 3:36, John 3:16, Romans 6:23, Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8, John 14:6, Ephesians 2:8-9, Acts 3:19
    Join the Serebii Christian Alliance - http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=368080

I love how in just three weeks this has received twice as many views as the rules.

Lol, no one reads the rules.

Its ok, neither have I. I just copy / pasted them from the 4th gen CRMT thread.

Lol, I actualy have!

So Blue Harvest run by me again which Natures are good for competitive battles and which ones are useless. I know that certain pokemon benefit from certain natures but which natures are just unpractical?

Nope, when it is done it is done forever (unless you use ev lowering berries).

Quote Originally Posted by cheeselord View Post
    Nope, when it is done it is done forever (unless you use ev lowering berries).
    Exactly. I think it is better to give it a Lucky Egg, put it in first, and switch out to it when ever the opponent switches a pokemon in (make sure the battle style is set to "shift", not "set"). Nets more EXP.

I have A Lv.1 Shiny Snivy Annd I want to Ev Train It properly But I dont want to evolve it this is pretty much the first time Ive ever Ev trained...... can someone give me good tips for begginers?
    Espurr is love, Espurr is life.

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast