View Poll Results: Do you prefer watch Anime to be subtitled or dubbed in English?

Voters
1982. You may not vote on this poll
  • Subbed - I like the original voices

893 45.06%
  • Dubbed - I don't want to have to read

465 23.46%
  • I want to be able to choose either one

396 19.98%
  • I don't care either way

228 11.50%
Page 1 of 104 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Like anime subbed or dubbed? ~ Where the concept of Uncut DVDs still hasn't sank in.

Lightbulb Like anime subbed or dubbed? ~ Where the concept of Uncut DVDs still hasn't sank in.

To all Anime fans:

Subbed, Dubbed or else?
    Which one do you prefer to watch Anime and why?

I pick Dubbed because I like to hear english voice.
    CC are necessary too.

So, it's your turn.
    -----------------------------------------------
    czzzzzzz[]:::::::::::::::::::::::> ()__)__)__)__)__)__)

Taking back to previous Holy War in 243 years ago - The Lost Canvas.

Second part has ended and the twin gods were sealed. Then visiting to the Bluegard to get the source of power...

Status: | Aries | Taurus | Gemini | Cancer | Leo | Virgo | Libra | Scorpio | Sagittarius | Capricorn | Aquarius | Pisces | Pope/Altar |

I also known as Entei in chatroom.

Mario Kart DS - 073080 634195
    Pokemon Diamond DS - 0645 2455 5853
    SSBB Wii - 3909 7241 6221

Auro Guest

I'm going to take a leap and guess that 90% of people here will say subbed..

I like dubbed, I don't want to have to constantly read the bottom of the screen when I'm watching something.

I like it raw.
    But, for the sake of being on-topic; I'll say subbed.
    _
    X

I like dubbed, most times. I love the Case Closed dub, but the Inuyasha I sometimes watch subbed. I just wish it was an exact sub. *twitch*

----------------------
    {Bishie} Shinichi Kudou {Twin} Shigeru-Kun {Pair} Edward Elric

I like to choose.
    Some dubs are really good: such as Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Evangelion, or .hack//sign but sometimes I want to hear the sub as well just so I can hear it with its original VA's and the like.
    Most of the time I think both are pretty good but sometimes one can be much better then the other, thus why I like to choose.

It's a 50/50 thing for me. Honestly, there ARE alot of dubs that stand out and some that are even better than the originals (Cowboy Bebop is the most noticable). However, there are just some really bad dubs. But those mainly apply to shows that end up on KidsWB, 4Kids TV and sometimes the lesser known shows on Toonami (like Rave Master's dub). People just tend to complain mostly about those particular dubs rather than take a look at others. Although, some are really just awful (Love Hina and Evangelion are just too painful to listen to in English :\).

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

Auro Guest

Edward I really like the Love Hina dub, I own the entire series and I always watch the dub. I rolled my eyes when they gave Mitsune the southern accent at first, but it seemed fitting once I watched the subbed version. I like Koalla Su's dub voice too... Oh well, I guess it's a difference of taste.

I'm going to go ahead and sticky this since I can honestly see this being one of those topics that will come up over and over again.

I'd also like to remind everyone to keep it civil. If you like dubs, don't bash people who prefer subs and tell them how stupid they are. Likewise, if you like subs, don't bash people who prefer dubs and tell them how stupid they are. Let's leave comments like "elitist" and "dubbie" out of this.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack.

Subbed. But if I'm only able to watch the dubbed, I would. I'm not exactly one who likes to watch certain dubs, but I can deal with it.

Yugioh GX is love and crack stuffed into a blender.

---
    {Bishie} Son Goku from Saiyuki~
    love the monkey. <3
    {Song} "Fukisusabu Kaze no Naka de" by WAG from Saiyuki Reload.
    Fukisusabu kaze no naka de
    Kono puraido o sutesaru koto ga dekiru darou ka?

{OTP} Genjo Sanzo x Son Goku (Saiyuki) || Uryuu Ishida x Kurosaki Ichigo (Bleach)
    They're canon, I tell you! >:O
    ---
    The LiveJournal. Much love.
    keep away from small children...

or people who can't handle swearing and ramblings of an obsessive anime fan

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu
    I'm going to go ahead and sticky this since I can honestly see this being one of those topics that will come up over and over again.
    You sticky my thread? Wow, thanks and it was my idea to create this thread and poll and see what you guys like.

I appreciate your words Dogasu.

Compare between Subbed and Dubbed, it depend their language, like Subbed are more violence words than Dubbed. For example: In Gundam Seed episode when Kira saw Cagalli, who is wearing pretty green dress, see what they say:

In English Dubbed:
    Kira: Wow, you're... a girl.
    Cagalli: Of course I am, you jerk!

In Japanese with Subbed:
    Cagalli: Of course I am, you ***hole!

See?
    -----------------------------------------------
    czzzzzzz[]:::::::::::::::::::::::> ()__)__)__)__)__)__)

Taking back to previous Holy War in 243 years ago - The Lost Canvas.

Second part has ended and the twin gods were sealed. Then visiting to the Bluegard to get the source of power...

Status: | Aries | Taurus | Gemini | Cancer | Leo | Virgo | Libra | Scorpio | Sagittarius | Capricorn | Aquarius | Pisces | Pope/Altar |

I also known as Entei in chatroom.

Mario Kart DS - 073080 634195
    Pokemon Diamond DS - 0645 2455 5853
    SSBB Wii - 3909 7241 6221

I hope you realize that Japanese insults are capable of converting to several things in English, it's just that subbers prefer to use the terms that convey the same meaning, but they seem more extreme. For example, 'chikushou' can mean 'darn' or 'damn', but subbers prefer the latter, and 'fuzakeru na' is literally 'don't lie' or 'don't joke around', but I saw some subs translate it as 'stop f***ing with me". In this case, 'a**hole' and 'jerk' are both correct.

With this in mind, anyone who watches subs just for 'the cursing' are very sad people. Aside from having this emphasis that "cursing automatically makes a show more mature", it seems that they'll just mindlessly read anything displayed at the bottom of the screen without even trying to listen to the actual Japanese dialogue. I bet if a character, who's ready to eat a meal, says 'itadakimasu' and the subtitles say "Let's go kill that guy!", those type of people would actually believe that's what's being said. I personally prefer subs over dubs, but I do pay attention to the actual Japanese dialogue. For that matter, I'm actually taking an effort to learn the language so I won't even have to be dependant on subtitles all my life.
    Last edited by Yamato-san; 24th March 2005 at 9:42 PM.

Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

I translate for #Pocketmonsters (just because I know Japanese does not make me Japanese, stop PMing me).

Quote Originally Posted by theboar
    Compare between Subbed and Dubbed, it depend their language, like Subbed are more violence words than Dubbed. For example: In Gundam Seed episode when Kira saw Cagalli, who is wearing pretty green dress, see what they say:

In English Dubbed:
    Cagalli: Of course I am, you jerk!

In Japanese with Subbed:
    Cagalli: Of course I am, you ***hole!

See?
    In Case Closed it's the dub that's more violent:

English:

Conan (Jimmy's voice since he's thinking): Man, she kicks ***

Japanese and subbed:

Conan (thinking): Man, she's strong.

The former is funnier in the scene, IMO.

----------------------
    {Bishie} Shinichi Kudou {Twin} Shigeru-Kun {Pair} Edward Elric

Chaos_Angel Guest

I prefer subbed. There are a few really good dub jobs (Cowboy Bebop most noticably), but most are horrid, particularily Azumanga Daioh and Fruits Basket.

Chaos_Angel Guest

I prefer subbed. There are a few really good dub jobs (Cowboy Bebop most noticably), but most are horrid, particularily Azumanga Daioh and Fruits Basket. Plus, I prefer the Japanese voices since most are good actors/actresses, no translation loss of comedy (especially with Azumanga Daioh), and just a cool language in general.

I dunno. I like dubbed animes since I could just listen to the words without reading anything. But subbed animes are good also since . . . Some shows are better subbed. Cardcaptor Sakura was heavily edited into "Cardcaptors" and that kinda made me mad. >_>

Meh, overall, it just depends on how good the dub is really . . .

Necrox Guest

I dunno.

First, i don't like them to be dubbed in english, but i like them in spanish but i also like the subbed.

Inuyasha is a good example of my preferences:

The voices of the characters are very good(in spanish), but on the other hand, the Tetsaiga is called "Colmillo de acero"(Iron Fang) >_>.

Most animes I've seen have good dubs, but then again, I do have poor judgement in terms of acting. Sailor Moon, Gundam Wing, Big O, Yu-Gi-Oh, it's all good. It's the live-action stuff I like subbed.

I prefer dubbed, but I don't mind subbed either.
    The reason I prefer dubbed is because I like keeping my eye on the artwork and absorbing everything thats happening on the screen.
    Anime is very beautiful. Even more so than live action media I believe.
    So I really don't want to be reading when I could be focusing on the eye candy.

Specially when i'm watching an action anime. I like to pay specific attention to the techniques they use to see if I can identify any of their styles.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamato-san
    I hope you realize that Japanese insults are capable of converting to several things in English, it's just that subbers prefer to use the terms that convey the same meaning, but they seem more extreme. For example, 'chikushou' can mean 'darn' or 'damn', but subbers prefer the latter, and 'fuzakeru na' is literally 'don't lie' or 'don't joke around', but I saw some subs translate it as 'stop f***ing with me". In this case, 'a**hole' and 'jerk' are both correct.
    Don't forget emphasis; as with any language, it's not just what you say, but how you say it. If someone's yelling a potential obscenity, I would think they're leaning toward the swear rather than angrily saying 'darn.' Speaking of which, I highly doubt that any Japanese word could equate to the English "darn." Seeing as how 'darn' has two meanings; one of which is to mend something by sewing and the second being a euphemism for "damn." It's just a tad too convenient that one term could encompass a swear and somehow magically define its weaker version as well.
    _
    X

I wanna choose. The original voices are nice, but if I didn't have a choice, I would choose dubbed. In subbed, you have to read the words and can't concentrate on the action as much.
    Dear Serebii forums members,
    ***I'm a guy!!!***

Improved PS1: PSone
    Improved PS2: PStwo
    Improved PSP: You figure it out

*Pair up: Sharingan*

I like Yoshis. If you do, copy and paste this into your sig. (Started by Yoshi Dragon)

Current system specs:
    IBM PowerPC "Gekko" 485MHz Processor, ATI Flipper, 24MB MoSys 1T-SRAM, 16MB 81MHz DRAM, Constant Angular Velocity drive, Sony 21" television

Future system specs:
    IBM Broadway 729MHz Processor, ATI Hollywood, 512MB internal flash memory, system memory unknown, same video output device

I prefer subtitles myself, but I'm not opposed to dubs, and there are some dubs I prefer over the original Japanese dialogue.

And now to turn the entire otaku community against me.

I'm going to admit right here that Excel Saga is one anime I cannot STAND watching in Japanese.

(runs away)
    THE INTERNET MAKES YOU STUPID

IMO I'd rather watch an episode/movie without reading :x. I'd rather just look at the pictures and listen to a language I know heh. So yeah I vote for dubbed.

~MS

I love a good dub, and it has nothing to do with not wanting to read subtitles (as I often have CCs on anyway). I think all languages are valid, which is why I picked that I like to have a choice.

Probably the dumbest anti-dub arguement I've ever heard was that "dubs aren't the creators' original vision". I don't think so--if I ever had a series, part of my vision would be for it to be enjoyed by as many people as possible.
    The world's greatest collector as drawn by Yoru Ryu
    Fancy Jirarudan too? Then you'll enjoy my fic Obsession! (updated June 29th, 2014)
    Or better yet, join my LJ comm Ware Wa Collector!
    Check out some of my other fics!
    Answering Machine (strong XY spoilers--winner of Most Heartbreaking Scene 2013!)

Jigsaw Guest

I like dubbed better. We don't have that bad of dubbing companies.

I don't really care, but I'd go for dub (but I accidentally voted I don't care).

I've only seen... I think two subbed anime, Yu Yu Hakusho and some DBZ episode.

I preferred the uncut/dub YYH more than the original for some reason. I don't see what the big deal is over the voices, to be honest the original voices really aggravated me. Especially Kurama's...

I wasn't too fond of the original voices in DBZ either, especially Goku. I had to cover my ears when he was yelling. And Vegeta was just sort of... grunting like a pig or something.

Yup, I prefer dub most of the time. Music is better in the original but I don't pay attention to music much.

Page 1 of 104 123451151101 ... LastLast