Troll @ focus sash
    EV's: 252 def/252 Speed/ 6 Sp.d
    Impish nature
    Pressure/Super Luck
    -Will O'wisp
    - Perish Song
    - Mean Look
    - Protect

This is quite annoying, will o'wisp takes out fighting types (just watch for the guts) and the rest of the set is pretty self explanatory. Yes Umbreon does this set better but nobody else has put this so I thought might as well. Finally a set not involving sucker punch XD

Just to let you all know that the beat up move will raise justified absol's attack +6, assuming you (and your oppoent) are using a full 6 pokemon team.

I havn't seen a pokemon battle using beat up yet. In double or triple battles we can have a partner pokemon use beat up on absol instead. Even if absol isn't going to be accounted for the number of times beat up hits, a +5 attack boost from absol is something to watch out. However, with a 65/60/60 defensive power, we may need to get the partner's attack stat to be as low as possible.
    Last edited by pikadon92; 28th March 2011 at 7:00 AM.

Aaaah Absol...

Disaster Dance! @Life Orb/Expert Belt
    Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -Sp.Atk)
    Ability: Pressure
    -Swords Dance
    -Pursuit/Sucker Punch
    -Aerial Ace
    -Superpower
    EV's: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
    Swords Dance for the obvious boost. Pursuit handles those switchers. Sucker Punch hits hard and most Pokes will just attack the hell out of Absol since his defenses are very frail. Aerial Ace handles both of his weaknesses and Superpower hurts them Steels.

Critical Disaster! @Scope Lens/Razor Claw
    Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -Sp.Atk)/Jolly (+Spd, -Sp.Atk)
    Ability: Super Luck
    -Night Slash
    -Psycho Cut
    -Stone Edge
    -Superpower
    EV's: 4 HP/252 HP/252 Spd
    You are just taking advantage of Super Luck and those moves. Night Slash for the main core move and STAB. Psycho Cut handles Fightings and Stone Edge hurts Bugs. Superpower to hurt those Steels.

Baton Passer @Leftovers
    Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -Sp.Atk)
    -Substitute/Taunt
    -Swords Dance
    -Sucker Punch
    -Baton Pass
    EV's: 4 HP/252 Spd/126 Def/126 Sp.Def
    Absol makes a fair Baton Passer. Substitute to pass that to another teammate. Taunt prevents those other Taunters from stopping the plan and just prevents setups. Sucker Punch to cause some damage if you decide to stay.
    Last edited by SazandoraMASTER; 28th March 2011 at 9:13 AM.

FC: 2022 2993 1000

abilities:
    Pressure: costs 2pp instead of 1 to attack absol. it has poor defences so this could work only once, more if holding focus sash/band.

Super Luck: increases CHR (critical hit ratio). he can do lots of high critical hit moves so a better choice. to be honest im now confused on how it works. Serebii says it double the CHR stage; if CHR stage2(12.5%) it becomes stage 4(33.3%) look at the critical hit page in the game mechanics to know what i mean, while bulbapedia says it only ups it one stage, if it was stage 2(12.5%) it become stage 3(25%) serach critical hits to see what i mean.
    so which is right?
    leave a message on my page if you can tell me which is correct
    Thank You!

anyway finally justified its atk goes up a stage if hit by a dark type atk.

probably the best set in my opinion

Night Slash
    Psycho Cut
    Stone Edge
    Sucker Punch

ability: Super Luck
    item: scope lens/razor claw

either the item works as they do the same thing so pick your fancy. Night slash gets the STAB and like stone edge and psycho cut goes well with super luck. sucker punch gives Absol priority and is powered up with the STAB and a better CHR.

Sword Dance set

Sucker Punch
    Sword Dance
    psycho cut/Aerial ace
    Stone edge/psycho cut

Ability: any really but justified may work better than pressure
    Item: Focus Sash

Absol has low defences so focus sash will keep him in and freely use sword dance at least once without working of him fainting easily. Aerial ace hits both fighting and bug types but stone edge and psycho cut are bigger hitters. Sucker punch gets STAB and priority especially when hes a hit away from defeat.

both sets will work with its nature being Adamant or jolly. but since one set improves critical hits and the othe improves ATK you'd probably better off with jolly.

New set.

A Disaster Wrapped in a Scarf
    Nature: Jolly
    Ability: Pressure/Super Luck
    EVs: 252 Speed, 126 Defense and SP defense, 4 attack
    @: Choice Scarf

-Night Slash
    -Toxic
    -Thunder Wave
    -Will-o-Wisp

I know this is a major gimmick, but the idea is to inflict status and switch.
    I claim Buizel.

Beat up is one of the most uncommon moves in Pokémon, Crunch is better on nearly every occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Meowmeow View Post
    New set.

A Disaster Wrapped in a Scarf
    Nature: Jolly
    Ability: Pressure/Super Luck
    EVs: 252 Speed, 126 Defense and SP defense, 4 attack
    @: Choice Scarf

-Night Slash
    -Toxic
    -Thunder Wave
    -Will-o-Wisp

I know this is a major gimmick, but the idea is to inflict status and switch.
    There's no point in moving first, besides with will-o-wisp if you're just going to get hit anyway. The scarf is a waste, and gives the opponent opportunities to set up. Here's a set for beat up/justified abuse in doubles/triples:

Absol @ Salac Berry
    Super Luck
    Jolly Nature (+Spd -SpAtk)
    EV's: 4HP/252Atk/252Spd

- Endure
    - Sucker Punch/Quick Attack
    - Night Slash
    - Superpower

The idea is to endure while your team mate (such as beat-up weavile) beat-ups absol, giving it +6 attack, and activating salac berry. It will probably die the next turn, but you can get at least one kill, and if you predict correctly you can potentially get more. Perhaps teaming it up with something with follow me would help it survive.
    FINE. I'LL MAKE A SIGNATURE

My White team:
    Reserves:

I claimed Plusle. I don't know what claiming it does, but I claimed it.

A +6 Att 10th round metronome Helping-Hand boosted Max Attack Victini V-Generate vs. a -6 Def Min. Defense min. HP Paras in Sun does 135516-159432 damage, or 75286.7%-88573.3%

Quote Originally Posted by Absol 4ever View Post
    protect-detect toxic worked fine on my yanma on diamond, have they changed it in 5th gen then?
    Detect failed after i used protect, but sometimes protect can be used more than once but its chance of failing increases every time you use it concecuitively
    I CALL DIBS ON DREAM WORLD ESPEON!
    ABILITY SO COOL
    ITS AWESOME.
    'Nuff said.

Lf modest DW poliwag offering adamant darumaka, and a few MALE dream world eevee's PM me if you have one.
    Also looking for shiny: Cryogonal, Heatmore and Trubbish.

I have plenty of Darumaka (2 boxes, Inner focus ones via breeding) and Eevees.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAwesomeOne View Post
    So basically any fast Fighting-Bug type will KO Absol.
    So Scyther, Primeape, Hitmonlee and Blaziken are your best bets (4th Gen)
    I am not too sure about 5th Gen because I haven't found any Tiers for that yet.
    Pretty much, yeah. However, there are plenty of Bug Types and Fighting Types with plenty of Speed and/or Defense to handle Absol. As for 5th Gen Pokemon to counter Absol, Accelgor is a beast with Specials, Scolipede can be a threat with Bug STAB, Durant can do both Defense and Speed, Galvantula is an issue, Mienshao, Volcarona, Sawk...the list of faster-than-Absol Pokemon is so not in its favor.

The old "Tiers" go right out the window with the "shiny new toys" at the players' disposal. Heracross can be a colossal threat if Absol leaves its Choice Scarf and Aerial Ace at home, especially now with Moxie Ability. Pinsir, likewise, has better Speed, good Defense, and access to Moxie Ability.

Speaking of Moxie, Scrafty is solid enough on defenses to rip Absol apart if Speed has been Baton Passed to it. Scrafty can also get Intimidate, another Ability to threaten Absol's high Attack. Moxie and Intimidate are also found on faster-than-Absol Pokemon (Salamence, Gyarados, Krookodile), so it has a lot of threats from Pokemon without Bug or Fighting STAB

Wow, I love this pokemon... If it wasn't for its speed I'd use it all over the place. However, that hefty attack has its bonuses! Absol has such a great movepool so these sets should be interesting!

Choice Scarfer
    Absol @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Super Luck / Justified
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Night Slash / Sucker Punch
    - Megahorn
    - Rock Slide / Superpower / Zen Headbutt
    - Rock Slide / Superpower / Zen Headbutt

So, with Choice Scarf, Adamant Absol posesses 372 speed. Not something to scoff at... Its movepool gives him a variety of great moves to use its 394 attack stat with...
    Night Slash and Sucker Punch are similar, Sucker Punch being a much bigger risk but dealing an extra 15 damage (Stab included). I had to include Megahorn because it's great but it could be substituted for any of the options from the 3 into 2 situation going on for the remainder two move slots.

Playing with Justice
    Absol @ Salac Berry
    Trait: Justified
    Adamant Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Sucker Punch / Night Slash
    - Substitute
    - Swords Dance
    - Baton Pass

Switching into a Dark move might be hard to predict but this set is really fun to play around with! Sucker Punch allows you to actually do some damage (and don't get me wrong, it'll still hit hard!) but the main point of the set is to set up a teammate! Substituting can protect a swords dance as well as get you down to 25% for your berry to kick in! Then you can baton pass out to a major sweeper

Criticals are the bane of my life...
    Absol @ Scope Lens
    Trait: Super Luck
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Night Slash
    - Stone Edge
    - Superpower / Psycho Cut / Quick Attack
    - Superpower / Psycho Cut / Quick Attack

Night Slash and Stone Edge for obvious reasons. Because of Quick Attack you could get an Adamant one but with a high critical hit ratio on your moves its not really needed... Superpower gets a mention because I'm fed up of Steel Types walling every single pokemon...

Lead Counter
    Absol (M) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Super Luck
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk) / Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Sucker Punch
    - Magic Coat
    - Counter
    - Taunt

Hope this set is obvious enough...?

Counters... Fighting Types... Steels if it doesn't have Superpower

^For the second set, is the nature Adamant or Jolly?

Utilisol
    Absol @ Leftovers
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Def / 4 SpD
    Nature: Jolly (+Spe, - SpA)
    - Substitute
    - Knock Off
    - Will-o-wisp/Toxic/Thunder Wave
    - Protect/Torment/Taunt/Spite

Max speed because Absol needs all the speed it can get, while HP EVs assume a 31 IV to make 4 subs possible, and the remaining 8 go to each defense. The idea of this set is to make your opponent switch because they think Absol will attack them. From there, you can set up a Substitute to choose the right move to use on the foe. Knock Off their item or paralyze/burn/badly poison them, whichever you think will be more beneficial. Protect to stall for damage with Will-o-wisp or Toxic. If your opponent tries to set up on you, Torment or Taunt work well. Taunt stops them from setting up completely, but Torment makes them unable to spam the same attack move over and over. Spite is there if you wish to make them lose PP on an already-low-PP move, mainly base 5 PP.

*Not part of the description*
    Few Pokemon learn Knock Off and Will-o-wisp together (Please note that I am using the 4th Gen moveset calculator found on this site in the game mechanics section):

Gengar, Mew, Blaziken, Sableye, Banette, Absol, Drifblim, Gallade, Darkrai, and Smeargle (It has better uses though).

Drifblim is probably the bulkiest Pokemon for those 2 moves, but it normally doesn't run an attacking set, except maybe with Flare Boost, so it will probably not make the foe the switch out.

There a bit too many Pokemon that learn Knock Off and Thunder Wave, but I believe Uxie is the bulkiest of all 4th Gen and below Pokemon. And WAY too many Pokemon learn Knock Off and Toxic for me to list them.

While everyone's mentioning counters such as Lucario and Conkeldurr, we must all remember that Absol's an UU so he won't really need to worry about these because they will probably be tucked in the OU.

Now back on subject, countering Absol requires scounting to find out what moveset it's running.

For a moveset like this: Swords Dance, Sucker Punch, Psycho Cut, and Stone Edge, the best counters are steel types, Aggron propably being the best.
    For a moveset like this: Swords Dance, Sucker Punch, Psycho Cut, and SuperPower, well... there isn't many who could resist this moveset in the UU... The best counter would have to be Mandibuzz, who is immune to Psycho Cut, resist Sucker Punch, and can take SuperPower pretty well with its awesome defenses.

Priority kills Absol no matter what set it's running. Hitmonchan is probably one of the best users of Mach Punch in the UU and has 1 more base powered speed stat than Absol. The main thing that keeps Absol in UU is his weakness to Mach Punch.

Team Options:

Stealth Rock support can help greatly with Absol's sweeping abilities turning 2KOes into OHKOs. As metioned before, Wobbufett can be used in double/triple battles when using a perish song set. Baton Passing Agility from another pokemon will allow Absol to sweep all that it desires. Dual screening can allow Absol to have at least one turn to use Swords Dance without worrying about being KOed, sometimes....

Credit to FrostStorm for the banner; YOU ARE MAJESTIC FROSTSTORM

3DS FC: 4940 6396 1803

"Because I am the man... who made a typo in his own name while registering..."

ahhh, my favorite gimmick (typing on Wii, so cant really go into much depth)
    CritrollAbsol@scope lens
    sucker punch
    stone edge
    psycho cut
    night slash
    ;612;;609;;534;;579;530;;637;
    well, darn it... the new sprites arent up, so if you want to see my worlds 2011 team you have to do a little work

@Scope Lens/Razor Claw
    Super Luck
    Night Slash
    Stone Edge
    Psycho Cut
    Aerial Ace

Good coverage, Great CHR, Covers fighting + flying
    Legendaries & POTW are for people with no imagination. Come up with your own combinations once in a while. Try experimenting, might find something good and make your own POTW.

Flying isn't really a problem to Absol drop Aerial Ace for Swords Dance or Sucker Punch.

Absol is a pokemon I've used for Pokemon Online a few times, but I must say, it is one of the few pokemon with access to Snatch and Baton Pass. In today's metagame, everyone is watching out for Shell Smash or Quiver Dance, and Absol going up against the right pokemon can prove to put your team in a favorable position.

Absol@Focus Sash
    Super Luck - Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    -Snatch
    -Baton Pass
    -Sucker Punch
    -Magic Coat

Works as a lead as well. Magic Coat can now reflect Stealth Rock and Spikes, as well as Taunt and status. Mid game, Absol can play mind games against opponents, utilizing Snatch and Sucker Punch to make your opponent worry about boosting or attacking. Snatch Shell Smash, Quiver Dance, Cotton Guard, Tail Glow, and once Absol Snatches the right boosts, he can start sweeping himself or pass the boosts to another pokemon who could use them. Magic Coat can also reflect Taunt on opponents hoping to end Absol's guessing game, which also gives Absol the perfect opportunity to use Sucker Punch as it will always succeed after reflecting Taunt.

I haven't used this Absol in a while and have had varying degrees of success here, but anyone is free to use and test this set with their own improvements or alterations. Just tell me how it goes for you and maybe suggest some changes to the set. c:

Quote Originally Posted by Porgon-XYZ View Post
    While everyone's mentioning counters such as Lucario and Conkeldurr, we must all remember that Absol's an UU so he won't really need to worry about these because they will probably be tucked in the OU
    i read these for movesets FOR the pokemon world championships so ou uu nu or uber i dont care
    i origanally and officially clamed Abagoora so dont touch

i read these for movesets FOR the pokemon world championships so ou uu nu or uber i dont care
    Absol is about luck and/or prediction, so it won't work well in the world championship....

Really people, support absol? Baton passer I can see, but support? It's defences are just too low. There are plenty of other options, such as Chimecho, and your wasting it's 130 attack and most powerful priority move in the game if you use it as a supporter.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

- Mean Look lets you pass the cage effect to a sweeper.
    Actually, Mean Look passing no longer works in 5th Gen.

Sorry if this was already mentioned.

Oh, a set.

Absub

Absol w/JustAboutAnyAbilty + Salac/Leichi Berry
    Adamant/Jolly Nature, 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 6 Def
    Substitute
    Sucker Punch
    Psycho Cut
    Superpower

I think you can guess how this set functions.
    Last edited by Kindrindra; 30th March 2011 at 12:34 AM.
    "Open your mouth too wide, and your ears close."

Do you wish you could do things like in the anime?
    Do you wish you could dodge behind a rock to avoid an attack?
    Do you wish that you could use the arena to stop your opponents cold?
    If you answered yes to any of those questions, the Pokemon Anime Style Battling League could be for you!

Did absol get agility yet? no? oh well maybe next gen buddy. Don't feel bad it happened to granbull too. 130 power is good but the rest of his under 75 stats are really ugly to me. I dont think Absol is gonna do anything without a quick thunderwave support. After that he wont have alot of trouble.
    I think the sub absol set could work,but its still not gonna last long.

Absol
    -
    Substitute
    NightSlash
    Thunderwave/will-o-wisp/RockSlide/pyscho cut
    Megahorn
    You could run pressure on this set to waste moves on sub.

Also in double/triple. Feraligatr would be a good team mate. Feraligatr learns agility and absol can get psyche up(yeah I know gimmicky). But Feraligatr is fairly bulky and faster than absol. You dont even need agility because feraligatr can use dragon dance instead.
    ----------------------------------
    Edit:
    You know what? Absol is actually an excellent shandelure creeper. 130 base power hitting you with a super effective suckerpunch is kinda scary. If your opponent is willing to risk switching you could predict it and sub that way you get a free thunder wave unless a ground type pops ups where at least you can get 2 sucker punches in.
    Last edited by Rockleon; 30th March 2011 at 1:00 AM.
    Mike: 2793-0594-7347
    Pokemon Master in White 2. Aiming to demolish 6th gen.

Quote Originally Posted by Nijaskills View Post
    There's no point in moving first, besides with will-o-wisp if you're just going to get hit anyway. The scarf is a waste, and gives the opponent opportunities to set up. Here's a set for beat up/justified abuse in doubles/triples:

Absol @ Salac Berry
    Super Luck
    Jolly Nature (+Spd -SpAtk)
    EV's: 4HP/252Atk/252Spd

- Endure
    - Sucker Punch/Quick Attack
    - Night Slash
    - Superpower

The idea is to endure while your team mate (such as beat-up weavile) beat-ups absol, giving it +6 attack, and activating salac berry. It will probably die the next turn, but you can get at least one kill, and if you predict correctly you can potentially get more. Perhaps teaming it up with something with follow me would help it survive.
    To tell you the truth, I partly put this set up to see if my posts were being skipped or something because I was hoping to get some critiques for any set I put up. I still have no clue what anyone thinks of my original sets on the first page and I would like to know how I am doing.

@ Kindrinda: Baton Passing Mean Look is gone? Looks like Umbreon is taking real estate in the UU tier now. And I was just about to try to make a Baton Pass set . Did anything else get unBaton Passable?
    Last edited by Meowmeow; 30th March 2011 at 1:05 AM.
    I claim Buizel.

Absub

Absol w/JustAboutAnyAbilty + Salac/Leichi Berry
    Adamant/Jolly Nature, 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 6 Def
    Substitute
    Sucker Punch
    Psycho Cut
    Superpower
    Seeing the same sets over and over again is getting kind of old...I came up with a similar one earlier, and superpower isn't exactly a good Idea, since it doesn't have a way to restore attack.

Baton pass is a good idea, with both substitute and a Stat boosting berry.
    @ Kindrinda: Baton Passing Mean Look is gone? Looks like Umbreon is taking real estate in the UU tier now. And I was just about to try to make a Baton Pass set . Did anything else get unBaton Passable?
    I think mean look is about it.

Also, Umbreon is off subject here, unless you say Absol is outclassed by Umbreon.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

Well Defensively, Umbreon out classes Absol any day, and it is a better Baton Passer, even without Mean Look.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAwesomeOne View Post
    Flying isn't really a problem to Absol drop Aerial Ace for Swords Dance or Sucker Punch.
    meant bug. I definitely wouldn't give it sp. 3x% CHR is much more useful from nighslash imo. Sword Dance maybe, but I like having a cheeky hit from aerial ace here and there. Great at getting that early hit in against Machamp and with its high attack and high CHR it may even get a OHKO.
    Legendaries & POTW are for people with no imagination. Come up with your own combinations once in a while. Try experimenting, might find something good and make your own POTW.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast