Thread: Kanto-Themed Competitive Wi-Fi Team

Default Kanto-Themed Competitive Wi-Fi Team

For a little bit of backstory, I really like the original 150 pokemon as opposed to the new ones. As a result, I have decided to attempt to create a competitive team that uses only the originals, in an effort to prove that they are still competitively viable.

So, without further ado:

AERODACTYL @ Choice Band (lead)
    Ability: Rock Head
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd
    -Rock Slide
    -Double-Edge
    -Crunch
    -Earthquake

Basically, this thing is designed to KO the opponent's lead. CB gives it enough power to do just that, and Aerodactyl has pretty insane speed. I chose Rock Slide over Stone Edge for the Accuracy, since Aerodactyl can't exactly afford to take hits.

GYARADOS @ Leftovers
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 152 HP/176 ATK/36 DEF/144 Spd
    -Taunt
    -Dragon Dance
    -Waterfall
    -Rock Slide

Gyarados, the king of the Sweepers...used for bulk?! What is this blasphemy (other than a great nickname?) It is going to be used to wall things like Garchomp and T-Tar, that desperately need their Attack reduced. Not to mention, the fact that a lot of people will probably switch out against it lets it get a free DD. This set has so much potential, I love it.

CHANSEY @ Evolite
    Ability: Natural Cure
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 6 HP/252 DEF/252 Sp. Def
    -Seismic Toss
    -Softboiled
    -Toxic
    -Charm

Chansey: It's pretty much the standard Special wall of this generation, especially with Evolite. Toxic will let me spread the poison around. Unfortunately, I have no way of giving it Wish, so Charm will have to do in its place. Seismic Toss is probably the most damaging attack Chansey can use outside of Toxic. Softboiled is for recovery.

MACHAMP @ Lum Berry
    Ability: No Guard
    EVs: 252 Atk/252 HP/252 Spd
    -DynamicPunch
    -Bullet Punch
    -Stone Edge
    -Bulk Up

Basically, it's coverage for T-Tar and Chansey. I chose to run Bulk Up over Payback due to the increasing proliferation of Trick Room in the metagame. That, and I'm probably over-valuing bulk.

GENGAR @ Life Orb
    Ability: Levitate
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spd
    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast
    -Explosion
    -Thunderbolt

Basically, this thing is my special Sweeper. It's incredibly fast, immune to EQ, and has a great movepool. STAB-ed Shadow Ball gets it on to this team over Alakazam, and Thunderbolt is there to stop Skarm. Explosion isn't all that bad as a last resort attack, either.

DRAGONITE @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Inner Focus
    EVs: 4 HP/252 ATK/252 Spd
    -Fire Punch
    -Earthquake
    -Outrage
    -Aqua Tail

It's Dragonite. By no means is it a bad pokemon, however, it is definitely overshadowed by Salamence (which is unavailable, given that this team only uses Gen 1's.) It wouldn't be that bad if it weren't a giant fatty that needs Choice Scarf to get any speed. Fire Punch lets it take out Ferrothorn and Metagross, Earthquake takes out a bunch of stuff, STABed Outrage gets rid of Mence and Chomp, and Aqua Tail gets rid of all those pesky ground types.

So, should I assume this won't get rated?

You need to look at machamp's EVs, also change dragonite's ability to multiscale (dw), it is much better.
    Signature edited due to exceeding height, image size, spoiler, and font size limits. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.
    3DS fc: 0301 9796 4544

Spoiler:- My dw females, will trade for any I don't have::

Double-Edge; odd choice for Aerodactyl, but acceptable. If it's a lead though I would suggest non-Choice item, and trying to put Stealth Rock in to help with some other valuable KO's for your other Pokemon. Payback still would be valuable on Machamp (maybe Choice Machamp as opposed to Aerodactyl?) And given the nerf on Explosion, might want to change that on Gengar. cheese is right as well; EVs are off and MultiScale is so good that it allows Dragonite to withstand even certain Ice Beams. Talk about Awesome!!

Think you could take a look at my Team? http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=501973
    Quote Originally Posted by The Requiem
    Cross Country ftw.