Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #14

Quote Originally Posted by ASB View Post
    This pokemon is gonna be a lot less useful now that drizzleSwim is banned.
    It's only banned by Smogon. Smogon isn't scripture

Yeah, this one's not bad... Suffers from very average stats but he can pull through with high special defence and HP. It's his new ability which obviously makes him worth the money.

Late Game Sweeper
    Politoed @ Leftovers
    Ability: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Waterfall
    - Ice Punch / Earthquake
    - Belly Drum
    - Protect

OK, so this is an ... interesting set which I don't really like... but hear me out. This is a darn good special sponge which can set up a Belly Drum happily against a Special-Based pokemon. It then has the joy of sweeping with its moves: Waterfall for stab, Ice Punch against dragons or grass, but perhaps earthquake to stop it being walled by water pokemon? Protect & Leftovers is there if needed to boost his health as he has quite fragile speed. It's also not too bad to switch him out after Belly Drum as against a water move he can absorb 1/4 of his health back again switching in.

Dreaded Drizzle..
    Politoed @ Leftovers
    Ability: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Encore
    - Substitute
    - Toxic

This set works a treat and has to be THE BEST set for a rain dancing team (so long as you know how to use it). Boil Over is needed for a stab and the risk of taunt. Encore can force a switch or allow you to switch more easily - which is mostly what this guy will be doing to keep the rain up. Substitute helps you wall toxic and Leftovers helps for obvious reasons.

It's Chilly Outside
    Politoed @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam
    - Psychic / Focus Blast / Hidden Power (Ground)

Obvious enough? You could use a Choice Specs if you wanted but with Drizzle, you get that extra 1.5 boost on Surf anyway.

I'll leave the other sets to everyone else...
    Meanwhile... Doubles Partners:

Scizor - Fire weakness reduced and can take out many of the things a Politoed can't.
    Jynx - With Dry Skin a Surfing Drizzling Politoed pairs quite nicely with this extra threat. You could choice scarf them both: Jynx with Lovely Kiss and Politoed with Surf to just exterminate :P
    And any swift swimmers etc

Counters...
    Electric types which are fast like Jolteon are perfect.
    Last edited by Aerodact; 4th April 2011 at 10:29 AM.

Politoed@Life Orb/Leftovers
    Drizzle
    Adamant/Jolly
    4 HP, 252 Att, 252 Spe
    -Belly Drum
    -Waterfall
    -Earthquake/Brick Break
    -Ice Punch
    Belly Drum raises your low Attack to good levels. Waterfall is a good Physical STAB. Earthquake is for Electric, Rocks and Steels that resist Water. Brick Break is just an option. Ice Punch is to cover Grass, Dragons and Flying types. Politoed has decent Speed, so Jolly may be worth consideration. Adamant for more power.

Lightning Rod Zapdos and Hydration Lapras are good Partners.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerodact View Post
    Yeah, this one's not bad... Suffers from very average stats but he can pull through with high special defence and HP. It's his new ability which obviously makes him worth the money.

Late Game Sweeper
    Politoed @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef-Why 4 Attack?
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Waterfall
    - Ice Punch / Earthquake
    - Belly Drum
    - Protect

OK, so this is an ... interesting set which I don't really like... but hear me out. This is a darn good special sponge which can set up a Belly Drum happily against a Special-Based pokemon. It then has the joy of sweeping with its moves: Waterfall for stab, Ice Punch against dragons or grass, but perhaps earthquake to stop it being walled by water pokemon? Protect & Leftovers is there if needed to boost his health as he has quite fragile speed. It's also not too bad to switch him out after Belly Drum as against a water move he can absorb 1/4 of his health back again switching in.

Dreaded Drizzle..
    Politoed @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef-Why 4 Attack?
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Boil Over
    - Encore
    - Substitute
    - Toxic

This set works a treat and has to be THE BEST set for a rain dancing team (so long as you know how to use it). Boil Over is needed for a stab and the risk of taunt. Encore can force a switch or allow you to switch more easily - which is mostly what this guy will be doing to keep the rain up. Substitute helps you wall toxic and Leftovers helps for obvious reasons.

It's Chilly Outside
    Politoed @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam

Obvious enough? You could use a Choice Specs if you wanted but with Drizzle, you get that extra 1.5 boost on Surf anyway.

I'll leave the other sets to everyone else...
    Meanwhile... Doubles Partners:

Scizor - Fire weakness reduced and can take out many of the things a Politoed can't.
    Jynx - With Dry Skin a Surfing Drizzling Politoed pairs quite nicely with this extra threat. You could choice scarf them both: Jynx with Lovely Kiss and Politoed with Surf to just exterminate :P
    And any swift swimmers etc

Counters...
    Electric types which are fast like Jolteon are perfect.
    10charlimit

Quote Originally Posted by Wadeledge View Post
    So because it's slightly more common now it's banned? That makes no sense, is Drought/Chlorophyll banned too? How about Snow Warning/Ice Body? Sandstream/Sand Rush?

That's so stupid, it completely neuters the ability! If all that you're going to be able to do with it is boost your own Surf, you may as well run Water Absorb instead because of risk of Thunder!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAwesomeOne View Post
    I have no idea why Drizzle+Swift Swim is banned, I would like to know the answer as well.
    Drizzle + Swift Swim is significantly different from the other weathers + ability combinations. Sandstream + Sand Rush/Power is really good and all, but it has a grand total of two good sweepers, and frankly they can't really wear down each others' common counters that well, especially considering all those common counters have recovery options available. In addition, ground moves don't get boosted by Sandstorm. Drought + Chlorophyll is okay, but it suffers as well, because nothing with STAB fire moves has Chlorophyll. Hail...yeah, lol.

Rain on the other hand has a huge amount of sweepers available -- Kingdra, Gorybyss, Ludicolo, Omastar, Quilfish, and Kabutops, just to name a few. All of these Pokemon are capable of easily breaking down each others' counters -- Nattorei, for example, the most common answer to rain, is 3HKO'd by SpecsDra's Hydro Pump. In addition, all the water moves, most of which are STABbed, are boosted by 50%. That's a humongous increase. Finally, rain also has the added benefits of increasing Thunder and Hurricane to 100% accuracy, and makes steels neutral to Fire attacks.

tl;dr, PermaRain's better than the other weathers.

edit: and lol how is sand more broken

edit2: to make this post relevant to politoed, Scald/Rest/Hypnosis/FocusBlast is a pretty good set!!!

So Dry Skin Pokémon, Lightning Rod Pokémon and Hydration Pokémon are best partnered with Politoed.

Hypnosis should be on Scarf leads, so you can put the enemy to sleep, then safely swap out so it can come back if the enemy changes the weather effects.

Adaptability Basculin with a Scarfed Waterfall or Banded Aqua Jet is surprisingly good team mate, going to 240 or 120 power.

Specs Dragonite also works, with Hurricane,Thunder,Surf, and Ice Beam.

Or it could team up with a mix DD dragonite.

Now, if politoed only got U-turn or Volt change....
    Last edited by Zachmac; 3rd April 2011 at 8:07 PM.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

Politoad /w Muscle Band
    Drizzle
    Modest
    -Earthquake
    -Water Pulse/Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -Substitue

Politoad /w Muscle Band
    Drizzle
    Modest
    -Earthquake
    -Water Pulse/Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -Substitue
    .....Modest with Earthquake and Muscle band aren't a very good combo...
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

^
    ^
    Muscle Band is just for Earthquake, and there is a -Attack Nature. Water Pulse doesn't deserve to be slashed, Substitute has no use with no Stalling, Stat boosts and Baton Passing. Please think before you post sets.
    Don't think I am being harsh.

Can't Croak

Calm
    252 hp 252 sp def 4 def
    Item leftovers
    Drizzle (of course)

Water Pulse
    Hypnosis
    Substitute
    Protect

Put um to sleep sub out and try to confuse them, stall for hp when necessary
    How would you like your WALL today, unbelievably tough or OH MY GOD JUST DIE!!!?

DrizzleStatus/Drizzletoad
    Modest; 252 SpAtk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Drizzle @Damp Rock
    - Surf
    - Mud Bomb
    - Toxic
    - Hypnosis

The Drizzletoad I use. Toxic and Hypnosis are rather useful, with a couple of good attacking moves, one of which is able is reduce accuracy which is also useful.

The key with this Drizzletoad is to basically induce Sleep or Poison and then spam the attack that is best against that particular Pokemon. Aside from keeping it alive so it can counter other weather types and a little bit of attacking and general Status, this frog has not a lot of use, but is key to Rain dance teams.

What? A Toad that doesn't Drizzle?
    Damp, Wise Glasses/Life orb
    - Surf / Scald
    - Ice Beam
    - Focus Blast
    - Psychic/Rest

Okay, a non-drizzling Politoed, useful for teams that want to use him but don't want any weather. Ice and Fighting moves provide excellent coverage when combined. Surf or Scald, whether you'd prefer more power or a possibility of a status. And finally, the last move depends on whether you're using Life Orb or Wise Glasses really, and how long you want the frog to hang around. If you'[re using Life Orb/Want the Frog to last a while, use Rest. If you want to have another good move, take Psychic.

Good Partners: Swift swin Floatzel, Dry Skin Toxicroak, Lightningrod Seaking (such a useful Pokemon with good attack), Rain Dish/Leftovers/Aqua Ring (stalling basically) Blastoise.
    Last edited by CaptainCombusken; 3rd April 2011 at 9:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Proby3 View Post
    DrizzleStatus/Drizzletoad
    Drizzle @Damp Rock
    - Surf
    - Mud Bomb
    - Toxic
    - Hypnosis

The Drizzletoad I use. Toxic and Hypnosis are rather useful, with a couple of good attacking moves, one of which is able is reduce accuracy which is also useful.

The key with this Drizzletoad is to basically induce Sleep or Poison and then spam the attack that is best against that particular Pokemon. Aside from keeping it alive so it can counter other weather types and a little bit of attacking and general Status, this frog has not a lot of use, but is key to Rain dance teams.
    Not to be rude, but I don't think two major status' on one pokemon is a great idea. Second of all, drizzle causes endless rain, so you don't need the damp rock.

credit to ElliotDX for the awesome userbar

Partners
    Bulky Blastoise and Tentacruel make great partners in the rain. Constant healing with Leftovers, Toxic and Protect for stalling. Bulky Hydration Pokemon like Vaporeon and Lapras are also great because it calls for a full instant recovery of status and HP. Dry Skin Toxicroak is also nice, since you can get free HP and not sacrifice an item for Leftovers. Other partners can basically be anything that blocks Grass and Electric. Magnezone, Ferrothorn, Rotom-Grass/Fire and Galvantula are good partners. Rotom-Water is also a great partner, picking up 100% accurate STAB Thunder, and STAB + Rain boosted Hydro Pump.

Countering Politoed
    Anything that can resist all of it's moves are great. Magnezone, Ferrothorn, Rotom-Water, just watch out for whatever Hidden Power it may have. Steels that also block Toxic and Scald / Surf are great. Offensively owning it, Thunder. Just.. Thunder. STAB Thunder with 100% accuracy will murder Politoed. Rotom-Water, Electrode, Jolteon, fast Electrics, really. Ferrothorn's STAB Power Whip and Magnezone's STAB Thunder really kill it. Tentacruel is also a great counter, blocking Surf, Ice Beam, and Toxic. Just watch out for Psychic. It's not hard to take down, as long as you have the right Pokemon.

Bog standard Politoed:
    Politoed @Choice Scarf
    Timid
    Drizzle
    EVs: 252 Sp.Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
    -Surf/Scald
    -Ice Beam/Psychic
    -Focus Blast
    -Hypnosis
    Kind of the standard. Surf is STAB, but Scald has a 30% chance of burn which is nice. Ice Beam KOs Dragon-types, while Psychic hits Fighting-types hard. Hypnosis is used with Choice Scarf to put the opposing lead to sleep, then you switch out while your opponent does.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Wadeledge View Post
    So because it's slightly more common now it's banned? That makes no sense, is Drought/Chlorophyll banned too? How about Snow Warning/Ice Body? Sandstream/Sand Rush?

That's so stupid, it completely neuters the ability! If all that you're going to be able to do with it is boost your own Surf, you may as well run Water Absorb instead because of risk of Thunder!
    No. Only Drizzle + Swift Swim is banned, because it is so common with many rain sweepers (Qwilfish, Gorebyss, Huntail, Kabutops, etc).

Drizzle + Rain Dish / Hydration / Dry Skin
    Drought + Chlorophyll / Dry Skin / Solar Power / Leaf Guard
    Snow Warning + Snow Cloak / Ice Body
    Sand Stream + Sand Rush / Sand Force / Sand Veil

Are all legal. Basically, anything that's NOT Drizzle + Swift Swim is legal.
    I believe you are still allowed to use the actual move Rain Dance, with Swift Swim.

I feel that in the future that there will be many switch ins to control the weather...

Politoed
    Item: leftovers
    Nature: Calm (+SpDef -Atk)
    EVs: :HP 252 Def 252 SpDef 4
    - Rain Dance
    - Focus Blast/ Hidden Power Fighting
    - Surf/Scald
    - Substitute/whatever

Basically this is a weather counter-counter; keeps it rainy. If someone swaps in tyranitar/ninetails/abomasnow/hippowdon to change the weather, you can just use rain dance instead of switching out and getting hit by those pesky entry hazards; then kill the weather changer. Run hidden power if you don't like Focus Blast's shaky accuracy, and use scald if you want to inflict a burn. Fourth move is filler.

Countering Drizzle

Since Drizzle is going to be in play alot on Toad, Pokemon with Cloud Nine will be able to shut it's ability down. Unfortunately, only three evo lines feature it. Altaria can wall it decently, although it'd have to watch out for Ice Beam. Lickilicky could possibly stop it if it runs Power Whip. Golduck shuts down Drizzle, but can't really make up for taking it out.
    Originally posted by: R4GEKILL!!! No need for STAB. STAB is stupid.
    LULZ

"Yes, I will see you through the smoke and flames on the frontlines of war and I will stand my ground until the end, until we conquer them all."

Black:5286 2326 2599
    I rather adore music. I less than three it. <3

"Let's believe that if we all stand together, we're a force that could shake the whole world. For once I'm doing something right when we say, 'Woah, woah.'"

I'll battle anything as long as I've got Pokemon to put the team together.

I'm pretty annoyed that SS-Drizzle got banned, because Politoed and Kingdra would destroy teams together. Anyway, DW Vaporeon is a good partner thanks to Hydration, but water absorb might be better. Rain Dish Ludicolo gets some free recovery. Gale Dragonite and Sniper Kingdra are great to use in rain teams, with the former getting perfect accuracy and the latter getting extra STAB boost. Anything can also run Thunder or Gale for extra power and not have to worry about accuracy. For counters, Ferrothorn can wall it if it doesn't have Focus Blast of HP Fighting. Anything with Thunder can kill it thanks to perfect accuracy. Also, it doesn't have good defense, so something with a good attack or Wild Charge can beat it. I'm pretty sure Eelektoss can do all of that.

Politoed's use it to create, and in the presence of ninetails/tyranitar/hippowdon, bring back rain. It's main focus is to come out of a weather war on top. Since water hits the other three weather starters super-effectively, it isn't that hard for it to come out on top. Two basic ways to do this:

Specially Defensive Toed
    Politoed @ Leftovers
    Drizzle
    Calm Nature (+SpDef, -Def)
    252HP/4SpAtk/252SpDef
    Scald/Surf/Hydro Pump
    Ice Beam
    Encore/Toxic/Hypnosis/Perish Song
    Encore/Toxic/Hypnosis/Perish Song

The basis of this toed is to survive attacks and last enough to maintain your rain. Encore and Perish Song work wonders in annoying your opponents, and forcing switches, so entry hazard support is helpful. Whereas toxic and hypnosis can be used to spread status. The choice between STAB moves is based on whether you want pure power, accuracy and some extra power, or the burn chance. Politoed has a decent special defence stat, and it can take some powerful special moves pretty well. It shrugs off Ninetails' Energy Balls pretty easily.

Offensive/Choice Toed
    Politoed @ Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
    Drizzle
    Modest Nature (+SpAtk, -Atk)
    4HP/252SpA/252Spe
    Hydro Pump/Surf
    Ice Beam
    Focus Blast
    Hidden Power [Grass/Electric]

This Toed is more about removing the other weather starters, rather than outlasting them. This Politoed hits HARD: A Specs Politoed Hydro Pump in the rain is more powerful than a Specs Latios Draco Meteor. Alternatively, you can run Surf if you favour more accuracy. The other moves provide coverage. Politoed also has Psychic if so desired. Generally the item of choice is Choice Specs, but Scarf Politoed has the niche of being the only scarfer that can switch in to outspeed and revenge Excadrill in the Sand.
    FINE. I'LL MAKE A SIGNATURE

My White team:
    Reserves:

I claimed Plusle. I don't know what claiming it does, but I claimed it.

A +6 Att 10th round metronome Helping-Hand boosted Max Attack Victini V-Generate vs. a -6 Def Min. Defense min. HP Paras in Sun does 135516-159432 damage, or 75286.7%-88573.3%

Sponge & Status
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: Focus in bulkiness (HP, Defense, Sp.Def) then put the rest in Sp.Atk
    Moves: Scald, Toxic, Hypnosis, Swagger
    Item: Leftovers

Rather monotone and luck-based on damage, but works great as a Status Flinger in Doubles and (especially) Triples. Partner with a Muddy Water/Surf user (adjacent to it in Triples) that is not a Water Type, like Static Stunfisk or Hydreigon.

In Triples, put a Water Absorb or Storm Drain Pokemon (Maractus, Cradily, Quagsire, etc.) on the opposite side of Politoed if it is on the side or a Lightningrod Manectric if 'toed is in the center.

Solo, you'll have a lot of issues with this one...

Lead Rain-Disruptoad

Politoed @ (No Item)
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Nature: Calm
    -Thief
    -Hypnosis
    -Encore
    -Perish Song/Toxic/Scald

Since Politoed has literally nothing to do with offense (90 SAtk is pathetic), I suppose that he'd work well... like this. Since he lacks Knock Off, I had to improvise... Thief works, gives you a sash/other item found on a lead, "breaks" and breaks their sash. Hypnosis Forces Switches. Encore forces switches before that. Perish Song = Bye, Baton passers. Toxic = Kill? Nah. Scald... Burns stuff at a 30% rate. Use in case of emergency...

Countering Politoed (yeah yeah I've seen this before on the last page...)
    Politoed is predictable. He goes either Hydro Pump or Hypnosis. All you need to do is send out Tyranitar on him (Effectively increasing your SDef and decreasing his SAtk), and either pursuit him or KO him with a STAB or not STAB move.
    A Bulky water type like Empoleon, Hydration Vaporeon/Lapras, etc, will counter it... just make sure you can handle toxic.
    Abomasnow is the other weather-er that shuts him down.
    Any Fast Electric/Grass type will eat him for lunch, especially Serperior, who benefits from it too.

All his counters (Literally everyone), have no need to fear him. Just fear his teamates, who will easily sweep you, stall you out, blah blah blah. If you have your own swift swimmer, then you will definitely sweep his team (Its effectively Drizzle-Swift Swim combo, except not banned)

The rest of the sets probably already posted anyways.
    Ignore, thanks.

Politoed@Leftovers
    Water Absorb
    Calm
    252 HP, 100 Def, 156 SpD
    -Scald
    -Hypnosis/Toxic
    -Ice Beam
    -Haze/Hidden Power[Grass/Electric]/Protect
    I would personally say, leave the Toxic Stalling to Vaporeon, but Politoed can still try. Scald is for the 30% Burn chance which is always helpful against Physical sweepers that would normally switch into Politoed. Hypnosis is to stop the Physical sweeper in its tracks, Toxic is to wear down walls such as Vaporeon. Ice Beam for the obvious coverage against Grass types. Haze deserves a mention because it can stop boosted sweepers from sweeping. HP Grass/Electric is just for Vaporeon, Quagsire and Mantyne. Protect is for Toxic Stalling, but if you choose Hypnosis, it is pretty much useless.

Politoed @ Leftovers
    Nature: Quiet (+Sp. Atk, -Spe)
    IV & EV: 0 Speed IV, 252 SpA, 252 HP, 4 SpD << not sure...

- Surf / Hydro Pump
    - Focus Blast / HP Grass
    - Ice Beam
    - Protect

The 0 Speed makes Toed slower than Hippowdon (neutral speed) and TTar thus ensures Drizzle to work.
    Hydro Pump is freaky with 360 BP(??) move counting STAB and rain boost, but Surf is always welcome if you prefer accuracy.
    Focus Miss is for Steels including that omnipresent Ferrothorn while HP Grass hits another water.
    Ice Beam handles what it can handle...
    Protect to scout opponent's move and free Leftovers turn.

I don't think minimum Speed is that good of an idea, most people would just switch if they saw TTar or Hippowdon/Hippopotas. Plus, the opponent will most likely not send them in against a Politoed because of their weakness's, and if they do, they are only gonna switch out again, making Drizzle come into play.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast