Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #14

I though I stated earlier that T-Tar is safe against Politoed as long as there's Sandstorm. a 180 BP move (Including STAB), coming from a pokemon with 90 SAtk isn't going anywhere against a Rock-type in Sandstorm.

Whoops. Its an OHKO with Specs. Ofc without it it will do ~60-65% damage (Checked... without using a calculator) and T-tar can probably get a DD up by then. eh.

Its +1 SDef
    Last edited by SomeoneIGuess; 4th April 2011 at 1:02 PM.
    Ignore, thanks.

Yeah, TTar is pretty much safe, but Hippowdon isn't, I forgot about the +2 SpD for Rock type Pokés.

I've decided to get off my lazy butt and write a strategy for someone.
    Curse You, Annoying Frog!
    Politoed @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drizzle
    Nature: Calm (+SDef -Atk)
    EVs: 252 HP/ 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
    - Scald
    -Ice Beam
    - Hypnosis
    - Perish Song
    The goal here is to force the oppenent into switcing out. Hypnosis put it asleep, while Perish Song gives it like, three turns or so to live. Scald is a powerful water type move, and, if you're lucky, will burn the foe. Drizzle simply up its power. Ice Beam works in a similar way, with freezing instead of burn. Leftovers help its survivability, which is crucial to thtis set (unless ypu're using it for a suicide lead, because this is the perfect set for that). Also, this is tricky in triple batlles, unless you don't mind missing out on most of you're Pokemon's turns or having hlf your team wiped out.
    Last edited by YourFavoriteUser; 4th April 2011 at 8:27 PM. Reason: Received tip for better set.
    99% of teens like 1 directon... put this in ur sig if you dont (started by blazeing man)

^Surf and Scald is a bad idea for a set. Replace Surf for Ice Beam. Replace MysticWater for Leftovers. MysticWater is outclassed by Choice Specs.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAwesomeOne View Post
    ^Surf and Scald is a bad idea for a set. Replace Surf for Ice Beam. Replace MysticWater for Leftovers. MysticWater is outclassed by Choice Specs.
    Thank you TheAwesomeOne. I'm a little new to competive battling and really don't know what I'm talking about.
    99% of teens like 1 directon... put this in ur sig if you dont (started by blazeing man)

No problem
    I recommend that you read the 4th Gen POTW Articles to help you with your skills. Just keep posting in these threads and people will help you. That is how you improve.

I have no idea why Drizzle+Swift Swim is banned, I would like to know the answer as well.
    Drizzle and Swift Swim combo is only banned on Smogon and not where else. Smogon also banned Blaziken with Speed boost. I have been battling in a lot of places with different rules and found out that Smogon is the only place which banned it because they are rain weak and most of the their team cannot counter Pokémon with Swift Swim. Well beating one of their Co-ordinator 5-0 and 1-0 with the same team twice didnt look Good on them so they found a lot of reasons to ban it.
    The team I used with Politoed are as followed:

DiscoToad (Politoed) (F) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 52 SAtk / 12 SDef
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Scald
    - Ice Beam
    - Focus Blast
    - Toxic

You may have noticed that this Politoed is Relaxed nature and -Speed nature. This is because to compete with Tyranitar and Hippowdon as a lead which means that if you are slower your ability gets activated last which is a good thing is this case making their Sand Stream go first and than you wash it out with Drizzle and you get the Special Type Attack Bonus[STAB] with 50% extra boost with with the rain up when you use Scald and a chance to burn their Pokémon while you are at it.With Ice Beam it is just to hit hard Grass, Dragon, Flying etc type Pokémon with a chance of Freezing with that extra EV points on Sp.Atk. The Focus Blast is for Normal, Dark, Steel type and Bulky Water type which normally resist Ice and Water moves, So you just wear down their HP with Toxic(increased to 90% accuracy) and than attack them.

Muhahaha (Cloyster) (F) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Skill Link
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Shell Smash
    - Icicle Spear
    - Rapid Spin
    - Rock Blast

Rapid Spin is the most useful one down here since it gets rid of Stealth Rock, Spikes and Toxic Spikes which are harmful to this team considering nearly all of them have Focus Sash and 5 of them use the move Shell Smash which Lowers Defense and Special Defense of the User by one Stage(50%)and Increase Their Attack, Special Attack and Speed by 2 Stages(100%). With Focus Sash it helps you survive any one none repetitive moves while at Full HP. By the way in Pokémon Black and White the ability Sturdy works same way as focus Sash does, which is the reason why I gave Crustle Leftovers not Focus Sash. Cloyster Also works Great in Drought, Snow Warning(being Ice and Water type Pokémon) and Drizzle since none of its move is affected by this Condition.

VeryFast (Gorebyss) (F) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Swift Swim
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Shell Smash
    - Hidden Power [Grass]
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam

This one is Water Base and HP Grass to take deal damage to Water type, Ground Ice Beam is just for General Over heads and for Coverage while Surf is for more accurate and STAB. Shell Smash and Focus Sash Same reason as Cloyster.

Oh Mastar! (Omastar) (M) @ Focus Sash
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Shell Smash
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Earth Power

There is the Fun one. With One Shell Smash while rain is on the field, you are able to 2 hit Blissey and Chansey the Special Walls with HYDRO PUMP!!!! Omastar is also useful in Sand Stream(being a Rock Water Type and gets 50% Sp.def Boost from Sand Storm which gets it's Sp.Def back to normal after one Shell Smash) Earth Power is for Electric and Steal Coverage plus general over heads(For more accuracy against Rock and Ground type if you don't want to risk Hydro Pump missing against them)

Drug User (Crustle) (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    - X-Scissor
    - Shadow Claw/Aeriel Ace
    - Stone Edge
    - Shell Smash

It's eyes makes it look like it is on Drugs To me That is why I called it Drug User. Well With Aeriel Ace or Shadow Claw is just up to you. But yeah I just wanted more Shell Smash User on my team. And Another Useful Pokémon In Sand Stream with the same reason as Omaster

YoungNFast (Carracosta) (M) @ Focus Sash
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    - Aqua Jet
    - Waterfall
    - Rock Slide/Stone Edge/Earthquake
    - Shell Smash

And Finally the old School Carracosta with the Dream World Ability Swift Swim. Aqua Jet is not expected very much with Shell Smash and Swift Swim set, but it is excepted with Curse and Sturdy Set. Aqua Jet being a Priority It is a good thing not to get hurt in by another Pokémon. Rock Slide vs Stone Edge is bassically Power vs Accuracy and Earthquake is for general coverage. Useful Pokémon with the same reason as Omaster.
    Nambiri

Drizzle and Swift Swim combo is only banned on Smogon and not where else. Smogon also banned Blaziken with Speed boost. I have been battling in a lot of places and servers ( like Pokémon Online, Smogon, PokéBattleCenter and many more)with different rules and found out that Smogon is the only place which banned it because they are rain weakand most of the their team cannot counter Pokémon with Swift Swim. Do we need to follow Smogon or other server or site, or do we need to make a our own based decision about whether it should be banned or not? Every other forum has their decision except for Serebii. I say that we do need our own Meta Game to What we think OS relevant to use in standard, UBER and other tier level with this 5th Gen like the previous one which was not being updated. Sorry I couldn't make anything for the last 13 POTW because I keep on putting off due to similarity of my sets in comparison to others.

DiscoToad (Politoed) (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drizzle EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 52 SAtk / 12 SDef Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    -Scald
    -Ice Beam
    -Focus Blast
    -Toxic

You may have noticed that this Politoed is Relaxed nature and -Speed nature. This is because to compete with Tyranitar and Hippowdon as a lead which means that if you are slower your ability gets activated last which is a good thing is this case making their Sand Stream go first and than you wash it out with Drizzle and you get the Special Type Attack Bonus[STAB] with 50% extra boost with with the rain up when you use Scald and a chance to burn their Pokémon while you are at it.With Ice Beam it is just to hit hard Grass, Dragon, Flying etc type Pokémon with a chance of Freezing with that extra EV points on Sp.Atk. The Focus Blast is for Normal, Dark, Steel type and Bulky Water type which normally resist Ice and Water moves, So you just wear down their HP with Toxic(increased to 90% accuracy) and than attack them.

This Politoed is obviously for Water type and Thunder usage and to weaken down fire weakness to Pokémon such as Forretress, Ferrothorn, Scizor, Genosect and some other which are weak to fire moves(These Pokémon can also take Grass moves nicely that is aimed at Politoed since it is weak to it). Having Drizzle running on the field, gives your Pokémon water move 50% increase, Hurricane and Thunder accuracy are ignored. Hurricane has 30% chance of confusing the foe while Thunder has 30% of inducing paralysis and 30% chance of hitting Pokémon who uses protective move such as Protect and detect. Drizzle also cuts down, Solarbeam by 50%, causes Synthesis, Morning Sun and Moonlight to recover only 1/4th of maximum HP.
    Activates the ability Hydration, Swift Swim, Rain Dish, Forecast and Dry Skin.
    Changes Weather Ball to a Water type move and doubles its power and allows Castform to transform.

Team mates:
    Kingdra: Swift Swim which can do damage in both end and with Dragon and Water type moves giving it down STAB.

Vaporeon: Due to Hydration you are no longer required to worry about toxic hurting it and the turn wasted using rest or wish protect sets to restore its hp. Using rest in Rain with the Ability Dehydration will just fully heal you and gets you ready for next turn as a tank.

Rotom-Wash: Is no longer Ghost Electric, It is Water Electric, Now take this on board using Hydro Pump with stab and rain will dent the Target and plus access to Thunder which is another STAB. Not to mention It's insane bulk.
    Plus there are any other Swift Swimmers and Hydration, Dry Skin Pokémon which will team up with Drizzle to take full Advantage of this. Like Dragonite with access to Thunder and Surf plus. Jolteon is also there to mention so that it absorbs the Electric moves set up against Politoed.

Counter:
    Countering Drizzle Politoed will take a slow Pokémon which can Kick up its own Weather Tyranitar, Hippowdon and Abomasnow (Drought Ninetales not as a lead) at Politoed's competitive rang. As For the moves, you are best off looking at Politoed's team mates and try to predict on how you can counter it using good technical, because the aim of Politoed user is to keep it standing if there is weather change threat by the opponent. So take out It's protectors and than it. Hazard such as Stealth Rock, Spikes and Toxic Spikes are also recommended since they will be switching in and out trying to keep Drizzle effect on which will gradually wear it down and it's team mate to nothing.

Cons:
    Moves such as Synthesis, Morning Sun and Moonlight are decreased to 1/4th of Maximum HP.
    You can't "really" use fire Type moves because of the 50% decrease.

With Doubles or Triples battle you will get a chance to demolish your opponent Pokémon easily or since walling is not very effective in doubles are triple. Pokémon with Lightening Rod Will be the best to lead of with Politoed which makes Politoed Electric Type moves get absorbed by it and raises their sp.atk. In Triple Just chance its movesets to Offensive Part Making it Modest nature with Choice specs or Leftovers if you don't want to be locked into one move.

DiscoGlasses (Politoed) @ Leftovers/Choice Specs
    Trait: Drizzle EV 4HP/252 Satk/252 Speed/ Modest/Timid Nature
    -Hydro Pump
    -Ice Beam
    -Focus Blast
    -Psychic

Big Bouncer (Politoed) @ Salac Berry
    Trait: Damp/Water Absorb/Drizzle EV 4HP/252 Atk/ 252 Speed /Adamant/Jolly Nature
    -Bounce
    -Belly Drum
    -Hypnosis/Substitute/Ice Punch
    -WaterFall

Hopefully you get damaged before or after you execute belly Drum so Salac Berry can be activated as well which raises your speed by one Stage
    Last edited by NAMBIRI; 5th April 2011 at 9:37 AM. Reason: Gramma and spelling mistakes fixed
    Nambiri

If your politoed has water absorb, then use partners with surf. Heal, heal, heal!
    Welp, my signature was deleted. Gimme a minute here.

PowerToad w/ Leftovers/Focus Sash
    Drizzle/Water Absorb
    EVs 213HP /190 DEF/43 SPATK/10 SPDEF
    Earthquake
    Hydro Pump/Scald
    Ice Beam/Blizzard
    Psychic/Toxic

Pros:Strong Attacks,All around,Good accuracy,Inflicts lots of status problems.
    Cons:Only one water type move,No Counter against Grass/Electric,If any of the move misses your toad is dead.

Good one here send out Politoed and run a status problem attack. Then either run or try to finish off opposing pokemon.Can finish off Fire types with ease using scald/Hydro Pump.

Partners:
    Politoed isnt really the best partner put with a Ferrothorn and just have Ferrothorn spam curse and take all the damage while Politoed safely hides and fires away. If you want an offensive partner try some fire types. Victini is one of the best choices if you got the Liberty Pass. With Victory star All of Politoed's moves will have a low chance of missing ensureing the super powerful moves will hit opponenets with ease.

Overall Politoed isnt really the strongest pokemon. Politoed needs to rely on its pre evos so it can have strong moves. Moves like Belly Drum are not the way to go. If you can add Plenty of EVs to poliwag.
    Pokemon White Team

http://alteredorigin.net/swap Can you solve the puzzle?

Credit goes to Gladeshadow for the Userbar.

Politoed, Status Fun Time!
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 Sp. Attack, 252 HP, 4 Sp. Def
    Moveset:
    Scald/Surf/Hydro Pump
    Ice Beam
    Toxic
    Protect
    Playstyle:
    Pretty much get up a status and protect every few turns.

Partners:
    Tentacruel takes water hits and resists Grass and can also be like Stallrein in water thanks to Toxic and Rain Dish

Zapdos with Lightning Rod

Sap Sipping Sawsbuck is immune to Grass and can KO with a boosted Megahorn

Semismitoad ;537;

Semi-Drain, Semi-Heal

Item Leftovers

Ability Water Absorb

Nature Brave (+attack - Speed)

Attacks

Drain Punch

Aqua Ring

Ice Beam/Sludge Wave/Sludge Bomb/ Hidden Power (Fire)

Refresh

Pros

Water Absorbs heals Semisimtoad. Aqua Ring increases it hp each turn. Drain Punch deals with normals and absorbs more hp. Refresh heals any status condition. Ice Beam/Sludge Wave/Sludge Bomb/ Hidden Power (Fire) are your last resorts. All of which deals massive X4 damage to its only weakness: Grass

Cons

Only Fire Flying pokemon (Charizard) escapes this move set as Drain Punch is a fighting type move which Charizard is strong against due to its flying type, dealing only 0.5X damage to it. Ice Beam and Hidden Power (Fire) are also useless dealing only 1X and 0.5X damage respectively

Your Best bet is for the 2 poison type attacks and hope for that 10%/30% chance that Charizard gets poison... or switch out immediately

Overall this moveset is used as support or a way to prolong legendary pokemon battles so as to spam timer balls at em
    Last edited by 5blackout55; 5th April 2011 at 5:52 PM.

Were did you get Semistoad from. A Water type without a Water type attack is not good. Charizard wouldn't want to stay in anyway.

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Surf
    - Toxic
    - Substitute
    - Protect

Spoiler:- Partners:

I pretty much made a team for y'all. Might write descriptions later.
    Last edited by Cometk; 6th April 2011 at 1:41 AM.

For Partners, anything that does well in the Rain gets a big mention. Things that are weak to Fire are good, especially Bug/Steels like Scizor and Forretress, and the new Ferrothorn can really make due with Rain being out. Swift Swimmers (for those who aren't using Smogon rules) can become sweepers. Hydration can help cure Pokemon like Dewgong and Vaporeon from Toxic. Thunder types can make due with having a perfect accuracy Thunder; Magnezone loves it as it can no longer fears Fire moves, AND can wreck with a perfect Accuracy STAB Thunder. Hurricane also gets a mention for perfect Accuracy, if you trying it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Requiem
    Cross Country ftw.

Jirachi is a ****ing ***** to kill with rain up.

Default Double/Triple Strategy

It's been a while since I posted some double/triple strategies. Anyways, here I go.

"If I help you, will you kiss me?"
    Nature: Calm or timid
    EVs: 252 spd, 129 Def, and 129 sp. Def
    Ability: Water Absorb
    Moves:
    Helping hand
    Encore/Protect/Taunt
    Mud shot
    Scald

Any water type would want to kiss this frog and turn him/her into a prince/ss with this move set. In triples, you can bring out a rainbow with Fire and Water pledges to increase the chance of a burn.

The Bouncy little Frog:
    Nature: Jolly, Impish, or Careful
    EVs: 252 spd, 192 Def, and 66 Sp. Def
    Ability: Any including Drizzle
    Moves:
    Dive
    Dig
    Bounce
    Swagger/Toxic/Attract

When teamed up with another stat-inflicting staller, You can attempy to out stall anything, even Chanseys when a taunting Weavile is around.

I kind of did these rather quickly, but I hope that it will do. Please critique.

My favorites happen to be mid-evolved poison types.

Were did you get Semistoad from. A Water type without a Water type attack is not good. Charizard wouldn't want to stay in anyway.
    As I said this is a support semisimtoad basically to fight its main weakness Grass and to spam Timer Balls

Quote Originally Posted by 5blackout55 View Post
    As I said this is a support semisimtoad basically to fight its main weakness Grass and to spam Timer Balls
    The POTW is Politoed, and this is for competitive, not ingame. ._.

Quote Originally Posted by Meowmeow View Post
    Stall
    Nature: Bold
    Ability: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 DEF and HP, 4 SPDEF
    @: Leftovers

-Substitute
    -Toxic/Hypnosis/Protect
    -Toxic/Hypnosis/Protect
    -Scald

What really sucks about Politoed is that I can't come up with a good nickname for this set! It's a load of poo but oh well. The idea is to, well, stall. Scald is the best offensive move for this set because of the Burn, and inflicting Burn status is awesome.
    Idea: Stallitoed. xD
    I'm always up for a trade/battle (PM/VM me)! I do a lot of RNG work so I can hook you up with VGC pokemon, shinies, etc.

Have we run out of ideas for Politoed so soon? Guess I'll make a gimmick set.

Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 Attack and Speed, 4 HP
    @: Leftovers

-Haze
    -Rain Dance
    -Waterfall
    -Return

This is an attempt to be productive by trying to have a Haze set. Would be better if it had Psych Up to combo with Swagger. Politoed is a bulky Hazer so I'm sure there is something that can work.
    I am going to add another counter for Politoed and it's Conkeldurr. So far, Conkeldurr looks like it can counter EVERYTHING. Even if Politoed was to carry Psychic, Conkeldurr could likely take the hit and let an Iron Fist boosted Mach Punch loose to kill Politoed after SR, or Hammer Arm possibly withOUT SR. At a 105/95/65 defensive spread, Conkeldurr could trounce Politoed with enough Special Defense EVs.
    Another solid counter is Virizion. Leaf Blade will make mince meat out of Politoed and Virizion has the raw Special Defense to take an Ice Beam.

BTW Leapord, thanks for the help, but I was looking for something a little more comical like on my other sets

And now, I will continue to wait for Eelektross to become POTW.
    Last edited by Meowmeow; 7th April 2011 at 8:06 PM.
    I claim Buizel.

^Problem with that set is that Water/Normal is walled by Empoleon though...
    Yveltal, the Destruction Pokémon: "When its life comes to an end, it absorbs the life energy of every living thing and turns into a cocoon once more."

Spoiler:- Current Hunts:

Default The toads many toes supported it well

Politoed can be used not only to create some nice rain but also has some decent support options to back up the stats and ability.
    Politoed @ leftovers
    Drizzle
    Bold nature (+Def, -Att)
    EV: 200 Hp, 200 Def, 108 Sdef
    - Scald
    - Ice Beam/Focus Blast
    - Haze
    - Hypnosis

This set is just a support set so that politoed can put itself to some use. Politoed is too slow to make speed investment useful, so instead a bulkytoed is the way to go. Hypnosis hits counters switching in hard, and then you can either switch out or scald while they switch out, the scald getting you more support in burn, which can make this toad somewhat of a physical wall, but not extremely reliable. Ice beam is a way to round out the coverage except for water, and if you want near perfect coverage but can deal with unreliability then you can go with focus blast. Haze just lends another support and somewhat of a filler, but if you want you can replace it with another attack to round out the coverage. It could also do a focus sash set if you took out the bulk and replaced it with speed and sp. att, but you will probably have to switch politoed back in at some point and its no fun switching in a 1 hp pokemon.
    My Black fc is 1506 5025 4813 (IGN Squee). My SS fc is 4727 2125 2484 (IGN Squee)
        Spoiler:- DW Females:

I am looking for a modest or timid heatran UT or EV'd in 4th gen or knowing dragon pulse and a modest/timid thundurus UT or EV'd with HP [Ice].
    [IMG]http://i56.*******.com/2hz7taw.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i43.*******.com/k1ph81.png[/IMG]

Special Wall Politoad
    Drizzle/Damp/Water Absorb
    Surf/Hydro Pump
    Rest/ Hidden Power Ground/ Ice Beam/ Hidden Power Fire/Refresh/Toxic/ Mud Bomb
    Sleep Talk/ Toxic/ Refresh/Ice Beam/ Hidden Power Fire/ Hidden Power Ground/ Mudbomb
    Ice Beam/Hidden Power Fire/Hidden Power Ground/ Mud Bomb
    EVs: 252 Sp Def, 252 HP, 4 Sp. Attack
    Item: Leftovers

Surf/Hydro Pump is Politoads main STAB move. Hydro Pump packs more punch but can easily miss. Surf, while not as powerful, hits easier. Rest/Sleep Talk is Politoads main health regainer. Ice Beam and Hidden Power Fire hit ground types hard, however, Hidden Power Ground hits Electric Pokemon nicely. If you choose not to use the rest-talk combo, those two slots become available. You could use one of these slots to tackle grass or electric pokemon (whichever one slot 4 doesn't take care of) as this gives you perfect type coverage. Refresh heals status and toxic allows phazing. as for abilities, drizzle is nice but should only be used in teams needing rain. Damp is much better in an average team as it prevents suicide explosions, which wins games. water absorb can be used as a way to regain health but will probaly never be used.
    My Shaymin Will Eat Your Soul
    Zoruas 4 Sale: Want Shinys, Legendaries, Competitive Breed Pokemon, EV'd Pokemon, Rare Pokemon.

Need an Untouched Modest Victini with decent-perfect ivs

Have a Pokemon XD Purified Lugia up for Grabs

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast