Page 1 of 79 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you say when someone says you're too old for Pokemon?

Default What do you say when someone says you're too old for Pokemon?

I ask this because somebody just told me that, and I wasn't quite sure what to say. I know how complicated and strategic it is, but I wasn't sure how to say it. What do you say?

Friend code: 4141 - 2267 - 6534

I am a soldier in the war against illiteracy. If you are one to support proper English, then copy and paste this into your signature. Thank you.

I don't pay any attention to what they think because everyone's entitled to enjoy and like whatever they want regardless of age.

Of course, unfortunately Pokemon is seen as socially unacceptable to most people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan
    During your experience at SPPf, there is unfortunatley no protection or clause that states "Mods shall not be bitchy."
    That's right... I AM KIRA

3DS Friend code: 3351 4126 2678
    PM me your code if you add mine. Mainly up for Mario Kart 7 but don't mind other suggested games if I have them!

Skull-Kid is offline I am Currently Awaiting Email Confirmation

Who cares?

I enjoy it. That's all that matters in the end. My gran plays Wii Fit but no one says she's too old. People have this idea that Pokemon is for children. It's not. It's for gamers. Anyone can enjoy a game, no matter how old you are. Don't let other people's perceptions put you off playing/doing something you enjoy. If your friend asks again, shrug your shoulders. It's none of their business.
    Last edited by Skull-Kid; 7th April 2011 at 7:46 PM.

Thank Arceus, no one has ever told me that I'm too old for Pokemon.
    A loyal servant of Albert Wesker, and the master of sandviches.
    No, not Jill sandviches. Sorry.

My scroll in Dragon Cave. Go and click my babies, will ya?

I have officially claimed Yanma.
    GYHAHAHAHAHAHA! Bryan Fury is MINE!

Ask them to provide written evidence from an official source that clearly states the maximum age you are allowed to be a fan of pokemon. When they say they don't have one, mock them and their lack of legal understanding, bemoan them for speaking slanderous lies and tell them that in future maybe they should get their facts straight before they tell other people what they should and shouldn't be doing.

Alternatively, mock something they like. I have a colleague who watches WWE. Easy pickings.

Alternatively 2, stare at them for a minute, then headbutt them, and shout "[Name] used Headbutt! It's Super Effective!"

Alternatively 3, shrug it off and ignore them.

I'd say to them: "[insert the popular synonyme for the excrements of a bull here]. You're wrong."

I make up reasons to make them think that that's not true.
    Last edited by Rocketeer; 7th April 2011 at 7:56 PM. Reason: Typo

[IMG]http://i50.*******.com/1zczozk.png[/IMG]

"This won't hurt a bit..."

[IMG]http://i54.*******.com/2r7y61i.gif[/IMG]
    SoulSilver: 3782-6070-5200
    3DS: 1306-6278-8282
    X Psychic Safari: Grumpig, Wobbuffet, Gothorita.

Quote Originally Posted by RaZoR LeAf View Post
    Ask them to provide written evidence from an official source that clearly states the maximum age you are allowed to be a fan of pokemon. When they say they don't have one, mock them and their lack of legal understanding, bemoan them for speaking slanderous lies and tell them that in future maybe they should get their facts straight before they tell other people what they should and shouldn't be doing.

Alternatively, mock something they like. I have a colleague who watches WWE. Easy pickings.

Alternatively 2, stare at them for a minute, then headbutt them, and shout "[Name] used Headbutt! It's Super Effective!"

Alternatively 3, shrug it off and ignore them.
    I'm leaning towards option 2. It sounds fun. May get me into a fair bit of trouble at school though.
        Spoiler:- Want to find something out?:

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage23 View Post
    The n00b isn't the one who uses Magikarp, the n00b is the one who loses to Magikarp.
    ^WINZORZ!

I basically just say that it has elements that can be enjoyed by any age. But I think I like Razorleafs alternative two a bit more lol

My shiny pokemon: as well as shiny Snivy I got from some randomer japanese guy over the GTS
    Y Friend Code 2793-1497-1708
    Friend Safari: Poison, Gloom, Muk and Garbodor!

Play Ocarina Of Time. Get to Ganon. Replace Ganon with Emboar and tell me he doesn't fit right in? The truth is out, Ganon has escaped, and is now in the form of a Pokemon!!!

Spoiler:- Credits:

The headbutt idea is awesome xD

But I usually just explain to them how there's a complicated side to the games once you get past the bit that most people will see as the entire game, namely earning your badges and defeating the league.

Pokémon White 2 Badgequest:

I don't entirely care about other peoples opinions

Thanks to PokemonRoss ^^

Currently Playing X

3DS FC. 3050-7559-6011

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    I don't pay any attention to what they think because everyone's entitled to enjoy and like whatever they want regardless of age.

Of course, unfortunately Pokemon is seen as socially unacceptable to most people.
    Which really is too bad because, especially in competitive Pokémon, there's a lot more to at least the games than just walking around catching Pokémon, as most people think.

What I say when people tell me I'm too old to play Pokémon? As a matter of fact, I brought my DS Lite to school yesterday to play through Pokémon White a bit more, and someone who used to be completely addicted to Pokémon said: "Ah, I see you're growing up..." (well, pretty much exactly that, but then in Dutch). I just responded with "So what? I like playing this game.", and that's exactly how I feel about it.

I really don't care about what other people think of me, as long as I'm able to have fun while I still can.

"Why yes, yes I am."

Quote Originally Posted by pupintheturd View Post
    "Why yes, yes I am."
    Phineas and Ferb reference!
        Spoiler:- Want to find something out?:

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage23 View Post
    The n00b isn't the one who uses Magikarp, the n00b is the one who loses to Magikarp.
    ^WINZORZ!

I tell them it is for any age. and it beats me being some thieving thug shooting up heroine, robbing banks, mugging people doesn't it? Now mind ya business. I don't bug you about the stuff you like...

Take a step and I'm on my way, gonna start all over again,.......again.

I'd say "Eh, whatever you say" for the lolz.

But seriously though, it doesn't matter how old you are to watch/play a children's game. You just enjoy something that entertains you.

I tell them that I am going to obssessively play a video game either way, so why does it matter what I play?

Usually my family are the ones complaining about the age thing with pokemon, but they know that I will use the Xbox and not allow anyone else near the TV if I'm not playing DS. So the above response always works.
    [IMG]http://i47.*******.com/2r40gt0.png[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i48.*******.com/j0wppv.jpg[/IMG]
    ~Shiny Card~
    If You're Interested in Shiny Hunting, Check Out Shiny Hunters United!

I'm liking the headbutt idea. It irks me soo much when people go "What are you playing? What? Pokemon? What's the point of playing that retarded game? All you do is 'catch them all' and that's it. Ok whatever pokemon master"

I grew up with Pokémon, I'll always love it. I'm not about to change that just because of what anyone else thinks.

I say I don't really care what they think. I've had this said to me so often and usually I say something slightly different every time.

Once someone said it and knowing they like football I said;
    "Well I think Football is childish, boring and the fighting after/during some matches is 10x more immature than any pokemon game or pokemon player I've ever seen. Even when they lose. Now tell me who is the wrong age for the thing they enjoy? Someone who plays a game, loses and admits defeat calmly or someone who gets into fights and cries over a game loss?"

Then they start talking about how Football is more important because it brings countries together and gets people patriotic and unified when their country is playing. I said, "Given the chance pokemon could do exactly the same but it's because of people like you who immedietly cast it aside that it isn't as accepted as a form of sport, therefore something that people of all ages can enjoy."

Yes I know there are little kids out there who will cry and get stroppy after losing a pokemon match but we're talking about older players, where the worst that will happen is a rage quit/Disconnection.

Usually I ignore or give a short answer but sometimes If caught when i'm in a bad mood they'll get an earful.

My shiny team. Do not ask for a battle, they're just for personal taste.
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/2131a2w.png[/IMG]
    Come and join if you have a love of breeding pokemon, want to share your knowledge or want to start!
    Credit shinydoug for the BC banner.

Flareon can learn Flare Blitz.
    http://oi54.*******.com/otdgr8.jpg

I have a box and a half full of Adamant Mold Breaker Axew. Some are Jolly. PM/VM if interested in one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zibdas
    I thought butter was a type until I was 6. I could've sworn there's a butter type...

A lot of COD/Violent Shooter fans (5 year olds playing GTA 4 wth?) I know aren't 18 so why can't it work the other way round?
    -----
    -_-

To look at Psyduck is to know your truly in the presence of awesomeness.

I dont care what people think i dont think you can be to old for Pokemon

I've never heard a person who's more intelligent than myself say this to me. I think I've said enough.

If you copy and paste this into your signature, you will have copied and pasted it into your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFanatic14 View Post
    I ask this because somebody just told me that, and I wasn't quite sure what to say. I know how complicated and strategic it is, but I wasn't sure how to say it. What do you say?
    OTHER: Aren't you too old for Pokémon?
    YOU: Aren't you too young to know?

I should mention that you can replace 'Headbutt' with any other move thats more or less possible in your situation. Mega Punch, Mega Kick, Double Slap... but you may want to avoid Flash, at least in public.

Page 1 of 79 123451151 ... LastLast