Thread: Slowbro - Let's Show You Some Love

Threaded View

Default Slowbro - Let's Show You Some Love

Thanks for stopping by!

After a fairly successful Gravity - Heavy Stall Team, I began looking into and collecting a multitude of legitimate Dream World Pokemon. One that I loved before it was blessed by the Dream World, Slowbro, has constantly caught my eye and I finally decided to give in and create a team with him as the first piece of the puzzle. So, keep in mind, that the only 100% permanent member of this team is in fact Slowbro, though others are replaceable.

This team is for Single, OU, Standard Battles.

Team Building Process

Again, the lovable oaf Slowbro was the inspiration behind this team (and I use that term loosely, as the team doesn't quite revolve around him but it does include him as a mandatory member). So, I looked at my lovely little hermit crab and decided I needed to play to his strengths. Typing that is surprisingly useful in today's metagame (being both a bulky water as well as having a Psychic-Typing to resist the many Fighting-Type moves being thrown about), I decided to go with the very common Physical Wall moveset. This gives his great physical bulk, reliable recovery, ridiculous recovery even when he's fleeing the field, and Scald.. a Water-Type move that helps cripple Physical threats so that they hinder my team even less.

The next thing I needed was someone that could assist in creating a defensive core with Slowbro. One Pokemon that runs rampant (or, should I say crawls slowly but surely) in many teams in the fifth generation is Ferrothorn. Ferrothorn has great special bulk, helps resist Slowbro's weaknesses (Electric, Grass and Dark) while Slowbro does the same for Ferrothorn (Fighting and Fire). Ferrothorn has many tricks up his sleeve, including Leech Seeds, Spikes, Stealth Rock, Gyro Ball with horrid speed stats, Power Whip, etc. This lets my team capitalize on the switches that it naturally forces upon my opponent.

Now that I had my defensive core, I already knew which third Pokemon I wanted on my team: Gliscor. Poison Heal Gliscor has always been intriguing to me, as it has so many tricks up it's sleeve, great defensive typing and stats, and the ability to keep itself immune to negative status. There are quite a few sets that I've reviewed, and I honestly think that the most potent revolves around Flinging the Toxic Orb at it's opponents, Toxic-ing them, and then sweeping with a mixture of Swords Dance, Earthquake, and Acrobatics. Gliscor helps by sponging Fighting-Type moves aimed at Ferrothorn and Electric-Type attacks aimed at Slowbro.

Half of my team decided, I needed to address a quadruple Ice-Type weakness, as well as throw in a Pokemon more capable to sweeping than defending. After all, though all of my teams are defense heavy, I'm looking to make this one far more balanced than my usual Heavy Stall. A Pokemon that I've always shied away from, both because I had no use for it in the fourth generation and it's typing changed in the exact opposite way than I had wished in the fifth generation is Rotom-W. Water- and Electric-Typing provides the Ice-Type resist that I am in need of, as well as gives me a handful of extremely useful STAB attacks to throw at the metagame. I chose to work with a Trick/Choice Rotom-W, as it lets me cripple walls if necessary, hit either ridiculously hard, or ridiculously fast (depending on my item). Essentially, this is the perfect Pokemon I was looking for to fill the role of both an Ice-Type resist and sweeper.

With four of my Pokemon locked, all equally helping each other out and able to do their jobs splendidly, I'm left with looking for a lead (while yes leads are difficult this generation I like to have at least one lead if not two to cycle between) or two, as well as a Pokemon to add even more oomph to my ranks. Two Pokemon sprung to mind: Tyranitar and Xatu. Tyranitar (particularly MixTar) gives me power on both offensive platforms as well as can throw the opponent off their game. When Tyranitar typically comes out in the lead position it is often expected to toss out Stealth Rock, unless able to OHKO it's opponent. Due to me running Stealth Rock elsewhere (Ferrothorn), I'm able to come out using four different attacks and hopefully either KO or force the enemy lead to switch out. However, if I expect them to begin setting up entry hazards I'm able to simply switch into Xatu and bounce back either status or entry hazards (occasionally giving me the ability to throw Spikes and Toxic Spikes, which I'm usually unable to do). Xatu is a heavy support Pokemon, working on adapting to many situations. Able to throw out Screens, block status and entry hazards, pass Wishes (not huge Wishes, but with Screens mitigating damage I'm not required to massively heal whomever switches in), and U-Turn out to keep momentum going even when Wish Passing.

The Sets Themselves

"The Tower" - Tyranitar @ Balloon / Leftovers
    - Nature: Sassy
    - Ability: Sand Stream
    - EV's: 252 HP, 180 SpA, 76 SpD
    - Superpower
    - Crunch
    - Fire Blast
    - Ice Beam

Notes: MixTar provides broad coverage against many Pokemon, and since I'm not running typical Stealth Rock I'm able to either immediately begin attacking my opponent or switch out to a check/Xatu to bounce things back. Sandstream, though my team is by no means a sandstorm team, grants passive damage that half of my team is immune to. Sadly, sandstorm itself is fairly common in the metagame, so it isn't as guaranteed to cause damage to my opponent, it does help to whittle away walls such as Blissey in the long run, and thus make sweeps much more viable.

"The Star" - Xatu @ Light Clay
    - Nature: Bold
    - Ability: Magic Bounce
    - EV's: 248 HP, 44 Def, 216 SpD
    - Protect
    - Light Screen
    - U-Turn / Psychic
    - Wish / Roost

Notes: Xatu is a Pokemon that, until this generation, I've always thought was interesting but something that I would never use competitively. And that's coming from someone who adores using UU/NU Pokemon to take down OU teams. However, with Magic Bounce Xatu has actually become worth using. Although adding another Fighting-Type resist to my team, this time being a quadruple resist, Xatu does have a few drawbacks. Xatu is weak to Ice-Type moves, Stealth Rock (though if Xatu does it's job it can prevent Stealth Rock from ever coming onto the field), and adds another Electric-Type weakness. But the benefits of keeping status thrown at the enemy, setting up Screens to allow Pokemon to either sweep without fear of being OHKO'd, or allowing them to set up is far too enticing for me to pass up.

"The Fool" - Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
    - Nature: Timid
    - Ability: Levitate
    - EV's: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP
    - Thunderbolt / Volt Change
    - Hydro Pump
    - HP Ice / Volt Change / HP Fire
    - Trick

Notes: Out with the old, in with the new. Replacing Rotom-H with Rotom-W (something that was blatantly obvious as the better choice) allows me to accomplish a few feats. I'm able to provide my team with an Ice-Type resist (which is badly needed), get rid of the Stealth Rock weakness that Rotom-H suffered, and counter Rain Dance teams rather efficiently. I'm still able to Trick and cripple opponents if need be, as well as out speed and hit foes with super effective STAB moves. HP Ice and Fire are there for whatever I'm having to counter. Personally, I find Ground- and Dragon-Types more troubling and therefore am opting for HP Ice, especially since if I'm put up against a Rain Dance team HP Fire is much worse off (though most will resist HP Ice, the rain does not hamper it's base power.. so there is a chance of using against particular Pokemon).

"The Devil" - Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
    - Nature: Impish
    - Ability: Poison Heal
    - EV's: 252 Atk, 156 HP, 96 Def - According to the Smogon Defensive EV Calculator this gives Gliscor the most possible bulk while still keeping max attack
    - Fling / Protect
    - Earthquake
    - Acrobatics / Facade
    - Swords Dance / Facade

Notes: I won't lie. I find Gliscor creepy as hell, both due to it's appearance and particularly malevolent movesets. In the fourth generation I used the giant glider to outstall opponents.. but here I'm planning to use Gliscor as both a wall and set up sweeper. Gliscor comes in against physical threats and has a few options: Gliscor can begin Swords Dancing, anticipate a switch and chuck Toxic Orb at the incoming wall to cripple it (bar Poison- and Steel-Types), and lastly sweet with a 110 STAB Acrobatics and Earthquake. I prefer to use Swords Dance, though I am able to switch that final move out for either Protect (help stall opponents and regain health) or Taunt (break my opponents stall efforts). Personally, since I'm trying to play a slightly more offensive/balanced team this time around I prefer Swords Dance.

"The Hermit" - Slowbro @ Leftovers
    - Nature: Bold
    - Ability: Regenerator
    - EV's: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpA
    - Scald / Surf
    - Slack Off
    - Flamethrower / Ice Beam / Psychic
    - Yawn

Notes: The reason behind this team: Slowbro. Slowbro has always been, and apparently always will be, a wonderful Physical Wall. With great physical bulk, access to Scald to further increase both Slowbro's bulk and that of his team, reliable recovery in Slack off, and either a secondary STAB, coverage move, and status of choice (I prefer Yawn as it helps force switches, enabling my other wall(s) and sweepers a much easier time getting on and off of the field. With Regenerator Slowbro is able to both wall the opponents while on he field as well as heal itself by 33% when he's racing off. Again, just to emphasize, other Pokemon are able to be switched from this team but Slowbro will remain.

"Temperance" - Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    - Nature: Relaxed
    - Ability: Iron Barbs
    - EV's: 252 HP, 48 Def, 208 SpD
    - Stealth Rock
    - Leech Seed
    - Gyro Ball / Protect / Thunder Wave
    - Protect / Power Whip

Notes: The second half of my defensive core, Ferrothorn has proven itself time and time again in today's metagame. Walling all of Slowbro's weaknesses (with Slowbro doing the same), the pair has wonderful synergy. Stealth Rock is there to help create more passive damage (and unlike with Spikes and Toxic Spikes no one is immune.. except for Magic Guard users). Leech Seed helps him stall out Bulky Waters and provides wonderful recovery verses Blissey and other HP heavy walls. Gyro Ball is aimed at Dragons, as most are ridiculously fast and will deal significant damage. Protect helps Ferrothorn do it's job walling and stalling when necessary. Optional moves include Thunder Wave to cripple other speedy sweepers (though it diminishes the power of Gyro Ball) and Power Whip (helping to beat Bulky Waters, though Leech Seed and Stall will result similarly).

Closing Remarks

I appreciate the time that you've taken to read my Slowbro inspired RMT, and hope to receive nothing but constructive criticism from all of you rating. If you point out a flaw, it is much appreciated if you'd also provide a way to correct said flaw. All suggestions will be considered, though I do hold the right to politely reject ideas I find unhelpful or that I'm unable/unwilling to use. Though again, I stress that I am looking for help, and will take every idea and opinion into consideration.

Changes to the OP will be in bold.
    - Gave Balloon to Tyranitar, kept Leftovers slashed (need to see which is more useful).
    - Swapped out Rotom-H with Rotom-W. Similar use and movesets.
    - Modified Gliscor's EV's in order to keep max Attack as well as maximize his Physical bulk with the remainder of his EV's.
    Last edited by Nocturne.Lullaby; 10th April 2011 at 4:00 AM.
    [ RMT's | Gravity | Slowbro Love ]

White Friend Code: 0003.2592.4395
    SS Friend Code: 3910.9686.6056

Just your local Pokemon Breeder, taking requests and
    providing results. Please feel free to contact me if you need
    something bred, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Services Offered: Egg Move Breeding, IV Breeding, EV Training,
    IV Checking, Soul Silver Tutoring/TM's, Cloning.