Thread: Synergy Team (Bulky Offensive)

Default Synergy Team (Bulky Offensive)

Alright so this concept is something i think is awesome, and i felt the need to run it through you guys for what I should change and what dangers i should know about. This is my first time doing a team like this so if your experienced advice would be awesome, harsh crticism is good too ^_^.
    Changes/Suggestion will be in Orange
    Team Building Process

Spoiler:- :

The Breakdown

Scizor, Adamant
    252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 SpDef
    Technician @Choice Band
    -U turn
    -Pursuit
    -Superpower
    -Bullet Punch
    Scizor is all about hitting hard with his priority moves, revenge killing, and being able to take that hit. His spread is so that he can switch into Dragon pulse/Dark pulse and live through it. HP obviously to live longer. U turn is there for scouting, Pursuit for those those pesky fleeing pokemon, Superpower to hit hard and then flee, and Bullet Punch for Priority.

Jellicent, Bold
    Water Absorb @ Leftovers
    248 HP, 216 Def, 44 Spe
    -Boiling Water/Surf
    -Recover
    -Will-O-Wisp
    -Ice Beam
    I wanted to have Jellicent as a mini-wall, I couldnt decide between boiling water or surf but im leaning more towards surf because this guy is rolling Will-O-Wisp and it does more damage, Recover to live longer and heal off damage, Will-o-Wisp to allow the rest of my team turn into moves much easier, and Ice beam to take care of grass and Dragons. Only problem is that he doesn't have enough SpA to really dent Grasses or waters. The Spe EV's are to be able to outrun a min speed Scizor but im debating on putting those EV's into SpA, not sure.

Scrafty
    Shed Skin @Leftovers
    Careful 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpDef.
    -Rest
    -Bulk Up
    -Drain Punch
    -Payback
    Well thanks to Cometk this guy makes alot of sense now. Bulk up is there for stacking on the added defense and potential for sweeping. Rest is to heal that all up and thanks to Shed Skin it increases the chances of healing off that status change, as well as others. Drain Punch and Leftovers are to increase health gain as well as a nice STAB attack. Payback because i wont be outspeeding much and a 100 power STAB dark attack is always wanted

Hydreigon, Modest
    Levitate @Choice Scarf
    108 HP, 148 SpA, 252 Spe
    -Draco Meteor
    -Flamethrower/Fire Blast
    -Surf
    -Dark Pulse
    Hydreigon fills the ever so popular dragon roll while still being able to be bulky (albeit not as bulky as Dragonite). Choice Scarf to act as a revenge killer. Draco Meteor for revenge killing. Flamethrower is more reliable than Fire Blast but im starting to think FB might be worth the risk seeing as im not running max SpA EVs. Surf so Heatran cant turn in on this guy. Dark Pulse is there for taking full advantage of its typing immunities and for taht added coverage/STAB. If someone has a better idea for these EV's please do share.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Poison Heal
    EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 Def
    Impish Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Facade
    - Taunt
    - Swords Dance
    This guy is meant to take some slack off of Jellicent from from fighting moves. He can sweep from the SD's but still maintain the bulk i want. Taunt is there to prevent setting up, Facade is there to take advantage of the Posion and always being able to hit stuff neutrally, and of course Earthquake for the STAB.

Porygon 2, Bold
    Trace @ Eviolite
    252 HP, 184 Def, 72 SpD
    -Thunderbolt
    -Ice Beam
    -Recover
    -Thunder Wave
    This is something i really needed on my team, a gyarados check. When i was making this team i kept thinking Gyarados could roll this team but not anymore :P. Bold for increased Defense, Eviolite for the obvious increased defense and SpD. Thunderbolt for water and flying coverage, Ice beam for grass and dragon coverage, recover to heal off those attacks he just sponged, and thunder wave to help my sweepers sweep. My only doubt about this guy is will he hit hard enough? and of course that everything will outspeed him pretty much.

My main problems
    Well after testing this team out alot on Pokemon Online i have realised a few things.
    1. I have alot of trouble taking out volcarona after even just 1 Dance of his.
    2. A scarfed or Life Orb'd Damanitan rolls my team, 2HKO'ing my Gliscor and Hydreigon w/ Close Combat.
    3. I have alot of trouble taking out definite walls, such as an Eviolite Chansey or wish/aromatherapy Blissey, however i have no trouble with Forretress or Ferrothorn.
    4. I am not able to take out pokemon that set up on me, such as a curse/rest Swampert, especially due to my lack of Grass attacks.
    5. Hydreigon is kind of lacking in the SpA department, he isnt really able to take care of Heatran entirely well he 2HKO's or even 3HKOs sometimes
    6. I have no real hard counter against Conkeldurr due to them always running Payback, i was thinking about running a Reuniclus, but who would i replace for that?
    Last edited by Thebritains; 19th April 2011 at 1:56 AM.
    Breeding+own: Jolly/Adamant Axew, Relaxed pineco, Impish Gligar, jolly/modest/adamant rioulu, jolly shroomish, Jolly Bagon, adamant scyther, relaxed mudkip, Naive Chimchar + Elekid, eevee's (many natures).
    Egg moves: larvitar w/ DD, Bagon w/ DD, Night Slash Axew, eevee w/ wish, Belly drum Charmander, suckerpunch Pwniard, Morning Sun growlithe, Ice punch Elekid etc.
    Looking for:, Female Pokemon w/ DW abilities, Shinies, battling items (choice bands/scarfs etc.), rare candies
    DW Poke's:
    Bored? Help me out by RMT: Synergistic, Balanced Thanks ^_^
    [/SPOILER]White FC Steven - 5243 1273 0091

Hey there. This team looks pretty neat, hopefully I can be of some help.

The first thing that struck me while looking at this team was Excadrill. Excadrill isn't a good sweeper if he doesn't have sand support. And even though sand is pretty common this metagame, you can't rely on meeting sand teams every battle. The second thing that I see is a huge fighting weakness. You have 3 pokes weak to it (4 with excadrill) and only one immunity. This puts way too much stress on Jellicent. So, in lieu of Excadrill, I'd recommend Poison Heal Gliscor.

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Poison Heal
    EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 Def
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Fang
    - Taunt
    - Swords Dance

This thing will take a lot of stress off of Jellicent. Not only that, but it has flawless synergy with it. It's typing is bait for Water and Ice type attacks, which is fantastic news for Jellicent. Late-game is can use Swords Dance and proceed to sweep a weakened team. Taunt prevents them from setting up hazards/phazing/healing.

Some small nitpicks, but Scrafty should have Shed Skin, and a moveset that looks like Bulk Up / Rest / Crunch / Drain Punch. His spread should also be Careful 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpDef. Scizor's spread should also be 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 SpDef.

Other than that, this team looks pretty solid. Hope I helped!
    Last edited by Cometk; 10th April 2011 at 5:42 AM.

Ah thank you on Gliscor should i still put those EV's into Def? or would SpD also work? I also felt Jellicent was pretty stressed so this helps also. Also on Scrafty, I was mainly thinking of him as being a bulky sweeper so could i replace rest with Ice punch (or fire or thunder) mainly because i hate the new sleep mechanic (how when you switch out the timier on Sleep restarts) or would rest really help out his survivability?
    Last edited by Thebritains; 10th April 2011 at 5:46 AM.
    Breeding+own: Jolly/Adamant Axew, Relaxed pineco, Impish Gligar, jolly/modest/adamant rioulu, jolly shroomish, Jolly Bagon, adamant scyther, relaxed mudkip, Naive Chimchar + Elekid, eevee's (many natures).
    Egg moves: larvitar w/ DD, Bagon w/ DD, Night Slash Axew, eevee w/ wish, Belly drum Charmander, suckerpunch Pwniard, Morning Sun growlithe, Ice punch Elekid etc.
    Looking for:, Female Pokemon w/ DW abilities, Shinies, battling items (choice bands/scarfs etc.), rare candies
    DW Poke's:

Quote Originally Posted by Thebritains View Post
    Ah thank you on Gliscor should i still put those EV's into Def? or would SpD also work? I also felt Jellicent was pretty stressed so this helps also. Also on Scrafty I was mainly thinking of him as being a bulky sweeper so could i replace rest with Ice punch (or fire or thunder) mainly because i hate the new sleep mechanic (how when you switch out the timier on Sleep restarts).
    I generally don't think Special Defense is good for Gliscor. His typing is really only good for walling physical attacks, so it would more or less just be detrimental. I wouldn't worry too much about Rest, with Shed Skin you have a much higher chance of waking up. His incredible bulk will allow him to take a couple hits while he's asleep too, for which when he wakes up he can heal back with Drain Punch. Also, Lefties > LO/Muscle Band on Scrafty.

Nice team!

How about removing the dragon pulse from your hydreigon and getting one with Dark pulse for more coverage. Draco Meteor will be enough to finish off the "rest".

Scraft is nice too, I chose dragon dance only to ensure I would hit first the second turn and finish the second turn. Its a great risk im running 252 att/speed. Im willing to give it a shot, and with its already high defense and sp.d I think it will fill a conkeldurr role but at a different aspect with typing.

For some reason thinking that Scrafty could heal off Sleep status blew right past me haha. I see what you mean now with adding SpD EV's being be a bad idea. Thanks!

@Kotwalkaran2 that does make more sense because since its choiced i wouldnt be keeping it in for that long anyways
    DW Poke's:

Bump because im still not sure of all EV Spreads
    DW Poke's:

I'm liking the use of Porygon2!! Something to consider is merging Thunder Wave and Thunderbolt into Discharge, giving the possible option of adding a STAB Tri Attack if you feel like adding it. Also don't worry about Porygon2 being slow; it's not meant to be fast, it's really about taking hits and reacting accordingly.

Think you could take a look at my Team? http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=501973
    Quote Originally Posted by The Requiem
    Cross Country ftw.

I was debating that but i kinda like the definite chance of paralyzing, that way i wont have to rely on chance and have something that can outspeed most of my stuff here pooping on it
    DW Poke's: