Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #15

Whimsicott's counters are whatever manages to keep it from setting up, whether that be continually breaking its substitutes, or taunting it.

Default whimscott sunny day support

whimsicott@ heatrock
    abilty prankster
    nature careful(+ sp def -sp att) impish(+def -sp att)
    EV: 252 HP 128 def 128 sp def
    sunny day
    taunt
    encore
    u-turn

this set is very usefull on a sunny day team, use taunt to stop the opponet from setting up use sunny day than use encore to anoy the opponet than use u-turn for extra damage
    the nature's and EV's are there to add as much bulk as posible speed is not needed because of prankster, i dont think ATT is a good idea either since defense is more important on this set

This is the Whimsicott I use-

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
    Ability: Prankster
    Nature: Bold (+Def,-Atk)
    EVs: |252HP|252Sp.Def|4Def|
    -Moveset-
    Leech Seed
    Subsitute
    Taunt
    Cotton Guard

Standard SubSeeding with Taunt. Maxed out HP and Special Defense, so I can raise my Defense to 250% with +1 Priority, so it'll go before anyone else.

Also, I've seen Tornadus and Thundrus check it with their Prankster. They're just naturally faster, and they'll go first with Taunt.

I've put in my two cents, so I'm done here.
    Last edited by Shining Fire; 12th April 2011 at 3:52 AM.

Credit to emerald goblin for any team america stuff
    I'm back nigg@s!! Sorry of things look crappy I have to everything from my phone
    If you like Monster Hunter than come join me in MH3g. Yes, be assured: EDGE has reported a worldwide release this year, probably in November or December.

We're also looking for a fifth member of our Elder Scrolls Online group. We'll be keeping as a group for the whole game. We're deciding on which faction to be in but all opinions count for now.

Quote Originally Posted by .Bright Side. View Post
    A switch into Chandelure first turn can remedy that, though. Timid choice scarf heatwave to kill it.
    Weavile's fragile defenses are why it is sometimes seen with a Focus Sash. It'll give Chandelure a STAB Night Slash for your effort and, short of a Burn, Ice Shard what little HP remains.

Being able to diversify for your counters is why Whimsicott needs additional support. That said, a counter for your counter's counter is a good idea.

Against Weavile, switching from Whimsicott to Chandelure then to an Intimidate Scrafty or Justified Lucario will be quite effective, especially if you can proceed to mess up Weavile's backup. Weavile's backup to handle Lucario/Scrafty is likely a high HP Fighting Type like Conkeldurr or Machamp which (ironically enough) Whimsicott can easily Prank (if it can get back in without a KO).

Quote Originally Posted by FRmaster View Post
    Here's a set which would work in doubles/triples alongside a pokemon with justified:

Nature:Timid
    Ability:Prankster
    EV's: 252 Hp, 4 SpD, 252 Spe
    IV's: 0 Atk
    @: Focus Sash

Can bullying be justified?
    - Beat up
    - Stun Spore
    - Tail Wind
    - Taunt/Leech Seed/Giga Drain

This set allows justified to be set up alongside stopping some common leads.
    - Stun Spore stops anything faster than your pokemon from being able to stop your strategy before you've started.
    - Once you have set up using beat up to get 4 to 6 attack boosts, Tail Wind stops anything without any speed boosts from getting into play and, well... attacking before you do.
    - Taunt is there to stop leads like Aerodactyl from setting up Stealth Rock/Spikes etc.
    - Leech Seed is an option to stop any opponents from using Focus Sash.
    - And Giga Drain is an option for regaining health.

- Focus Sash is to stop the opponent from making Whimsicott faint before the beat up/justified combo is set up.
    - Timid nature is to make absolutely sure that it is faster than the Pokemon you're using beat up on.
    - The 0 IV in Attack is so that Beat Up does the least damage possible to your Justified user.
    Ummmmm, wow. You set this up on the right turn, you can really have a Make-shift Belly Drum, WITHOUT the HP cut. might be something to really consider in a Double/Triple Battle.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Requiem
    Cross Country ftw.

Double and Triple Whimsicott

Prankster
    Timid
    EVs HP 76/Sp.Atk 252/ Spd 180
    @ Heat Rock

-Sunny Day
    -Solarbeam/Leech Seed/Toxic
    -Subsitute
    -Leech Seed/Toxic

Very straight forward. Whimsicott sets up Sunny Day and Leech Seeds/Toxics the opponent and stalls until death. Or it can Leech Seed/Toxic the ooponent stalls but finishes it off with STAB Solarbeam. Prankster is a MUST. EVs can be thrown anywhere as Prankster gives Whismicott priority, but if you run Solarbeam 252 Sp. Att is a must. Heat Rock extends the sun which is valiable for Solarbeam. This set is good for in-game where Drought Ninetails is not realised yet.

Partners
    Now this is why this set is valiable for Doubles and Triples. Whimsicott and its White counterpart, Lilligant go together like bread and butter. Now because of Whimsicott's prority Sunny Day, Lilligant can completly destroy the opposing team with its STAB Solarbeam and hit right after Whimsicott because of Chorophylls Speed raising-ness.

Fire types, Chorophyll and Solar Power users can take advantage of the free sun with there blistering Speed or just powerful Attacks to rip the opposing team to pieces. They all work well because Fire Types will cover Whismicotts rarely seen but no doubt annoying Bug Weakness while Whimsicott can Solarbeam any Rock, Water or Grund types comming to OHKO your Fire type.

Counters

Tyranitar, Hippowdon and Politoad all switch in and ruin the sun with there abilities. Wrong prediction with a Fire type can leave Whismicott burned or KOed. Weavile with max Speed can knock a STAB Ice Shard at Whimsicott. Reunicles is just a counter for all stallers.
    My faboulous pokemon will see me through, when I'll come after you!
    Argg! Pomkemon I'm nealy out, but this one to lose I do so doubt!
    When you lose I'll dance with joy, versing you is like battleing a toy!
    I really think you ought to quit, you're Infernape hardly seems lit!
    Versing you I don't break a sweat, for I know the fate you'll get!
    This is impposible how did I lose? Huh! This is just a perpostrose ruse!

what a prankster!

Toxic
    leech seed
    protect/substitute
    Energy ball/Hurricane

ability: Prankster of course
    nature: possibley Modest, calm or bold can help too
    item: leftover

toxic to deal gradual damage and leech seed deals constant damage but heals you too. protect/substitute stall toxic and helps leech seed heal you along with the leftovers. energy ball deals more damage with an STAB while hurricane doesn't but may also confuse the opponent which along with toxic and leech sed could be fatal.

in double and triple a good partner would be politoad if it has drizzle (its hidden ability) because it helps cover fire types, if it knows ice beam it can take out the likes of venusaur and vileplume as they are both unaffected by toxic and leech seed and if your whimsicott doesn't know hurricane, while with drizzle hurricane's, like thunder's, accuracy becomes 100%. its modest nature can be chosen to help give Energy ball/Hurricane theat little extra kick in dealing damage, calm or bold helps with defending.

As for a counter, I've found that my slower Whimsicott can go second against another whimsicott, and encore it, disabling it and allowing me to switch in something else (Cloyster) to destroy the opponent's Whimsicott.

What I'm using now is this Whimsicott:

Relaxed Nature / Leftovers / Prankster
    252DEF/252SpDef
    Encore
    Leech Seed
    Substitute
    Toxic

It blocks even special attackers well, and when a Cloyster comes in, I can Toxic or Leech Seed it, and can then come in (after my Whimsicott takes one for the team) and Mach Punch on Cloyster to kill it off. (Leech Seed breaks its focus sash).
    Toxic is great if you know they're planning to switch out, unless they're going to switch to a Ferrothorn, and then you're going to switch out anyway.
    You can still stall other steel types with subseeding.
    I have also tested out Cotton Shield, and it works AMAZINGLY against physical attackers, but is pointless against special attackers. Seems everything is running HP Ice or HP Fire these days.
    Speaking of HP Fire, running a teammate with Flash Fire ability is a plus, as you can encore when they use a fire move against you, and switch in to get a boost. (Or just predict that they're going to use the fire move against you and switch in).
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 2323 5184 5191

It is kinda sad how Infiltrator and Chlorophyll aren't getting a mention.
    I would do it myself, but I suck at 5th Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Omegaman1144 View Post
    As for a counter, I've found that my slower Whimsicott can go second against another whimsicott, and encore it, disabling it and allowing me to switch in something else (Cloyster) to destroy the opponent's Whimsicott.

What I'm using now is this Whimsicott:

Relaxed Nature / Leftovers / Prankster
    252DEF/252SpDef
    Encore
    Leech Seed
    Substitute
    Toxic
    The problem with that being, if there's two Whimsicotts on the field, they're going to attempt to Taunt eachother. The faster one therefore beats out yours, and while you change back to Cloyster, they set up a sub or seed. Any offensive effort from Cloyster barring Ice Shard (And even then, without Shell Break it really isn't that strong, and it really can't get that set up on Whimsicott (And if you're running Shell Break, then you really shouldn't be bothering with Ice Shard, but rather Icicle Spear, Rock Blast and Surf)) will be dealt with by any grass attack or taunt. Cloyster really can't do anything against Whimsicott if it is used properly. Any grass attack will down it in one hit, taunt stops Shell Break, and at face value it's faster so it will go first with an offensive move. The only reason why Cloyster is a threat would be if people keep using 4 status move sets that leave it wide open.

I'd say dump Toxic in for any offensive move on your set. Grass Knot or Energy Ball gives it a mean of outright offense if you screw up a Taunt or you see an opening to attack directly.

*Edit, posting again is not necessary*
    That was my point, Mr. One. And I stated that on my first post for a reason.
    Last edited by TimmahX; 12th April 2011 at 9:29 PM.
    This is a signature that doesn't eat up an absurd amount of space.

Cloyster is not a Counter. One Attack and it is dead.

Cloyster can't counter Whimsicott, but it can revenge kill it if it goes for a straight up Icicle Spear and not concern itself with Shell Smash. But that is probably the only way Cloyster will ever be able to strike down Whimsicott. Then there is still the fact that Whimsicott could just throw an Energy Ball or something.
    Basically, Cloyster can revenge kill, but don't depend on it.

Now, a counter for Whimsicott would be Choice item holders. They won't mind getting taunted, they're attacking anyway. If you look all the way back at my sets, I get around Whimsicott being taunted with U-Turn so that I switch in something that doesn't care about getting taunted and the max speed makes sure Whimsicott goes first without Prankster.
    I claim Buizel.

Now presnting, THE ANNOYER!
    Name: Whimscott
    EVSefense252/HP4/sp.defense252
    Ability:Prankster
    Item:Leftovers
    Nature: timid, mild
    Moves
    Leech seed
    Giga drain
    Hidden power(rock)
    toxic
    with prankster, toxic and leech seed can stall/annoy your opponent and get a switch, giga drain to annoy even farther and to recover some hp.Hidden power rock is for weaknesses(Fire, Flying, Ice) Just watch out for Weviale's ice shard.
    After a 2 month hatiaus, I'm back!

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-vi...ite-version-2/
    The new forms of Reshi and Zeki.....
    HYBRIDS?

This is my first post on the Serebii forums, here we go!

Prankster is needed on most sets, except the all-out attacking sets which don't need Prankster because they are attacking. Choice Specs could use Infiltrator to ignore Light Screen, Chlorophyll might be needed on the Solar Beamer set; it reaches a speed of 706 in the sun, when maxed out and with a +nature, with no stat modifiers. 706 is enough to outpace even the fastest uber, Deoxys-s, and it even outpaces Chlorophyll Jumpluff, getting the potential Hurricane off (not that Jumpluff would want to stay in against Whimsicott anyway, perhaps unless it packs the Aerial Ace or something).

I especially like Cobalion when pairing up with a Beat Up Whimsicott; any Justified Pokemon will do, but Cobalion especially because its Steel / Fighting typing makes it a x4 Dark resist, not to mention it carries STAB Sacred Sword (or Close Combat) for those Ice-type attackers out there, and it's quick too, but still slower than max speed Timid Whimsicott (even if Cobalion is max speed Jolly itself) because of Whimsicott's base 116 speed compared to Cobalion's 108.
    Last edited by pika250; 13th April 2011 at 2:49 AM.
    YouTube Pika250, Twitter Pika250
    BMGf no. 8125 (Pika25), Smogon no. 8077 (Pika25)
    Find me at those Forums too!

My Pokemon Online Dream Team, I am "Scotty" on PO

Quote Originally Posted by Del Mundo View Post
    as I was told, You don't want to put too many evs in hp, so that you can recover for as many substitutes as possible. Also, with prankster, there shouldn't be any reason to put any speed evs. The only thing youve got to watch out for is weavile's ice shard.

Nature: Bold
    Ability: Prankster
    EVs: 4HP 252Def 252SDef
    @: Leftovers

-Substitute
    -Taunt
    -Leech Seed
    -Encore

Standard Subseedcott
    The only set that doesn't suck.

Taunt could be slashed for Toxic or weather setup, but all of these moves are desperately needed on Whimsicott, and there's really no room for gimmicks.
    FLY AWAY NOW, FLY AWAY NOW, FLY AWAY!

BW FC: 5243 1690 3512

Mods, Admins. Please, PLEASE delete that guy's posts...That Signature is just horrible to look at. Or at least remove his signature. Thankyou

On Topic: Man Whimsicott is something...I just want to ask something, what if it taunts at the right time (Stopping a Non-Attacking move) and then uses Encore. What would happen? Will the target Struggle or will Encore fail?
    Last edited by Aura Flare Riolu; 14th April 2011 at 5:41 AM.

Taunt will make the attack invalid, so it will not occur. Thus if you follow up taunt with encore, it will fail.

A way to counter low lvls whismicott (higher lvls too but its harder) is using multi time attacks to vanish with substitute and make some damage! i say: icicle spear or cinccino's tail slap (when his DW ability is out)
    I don't use "uber" Pokemon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature. (Started by Tyranitar)

Demon Fox Trainer
    ~ignis~
    I claim DW "Under-The-Sun" Ninetails

OK what if the situation was the other way around? What if Whimsicott Encores a Non-Attacking move and then uses Taunt?

EDIT: Tested it myself, Taunt will cancel out the attack, then on the next turn, the target will use Struggle if it stays in. Man that's scary!
    Last edited by Aura Flare Riolu; 14th April 2011 at 6:56 AM.

Whimsicott
    -Giga Drain/Energy Ball
    -Cotton Guard
    -Toxic/Leech Seed*
    -Hidden Power (Rock)
    Item:Leftovers/Big Root*
    EVs 252 SDef/192 HP/64 SAtk
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    ~PoW

A good partner for Whimsicott is Shuckle with Guard Share. This will make Whimsicott very difficult to bring down.
    I claim Buizel.

For all you noobs, the Number 1 way to counter Level 1 Whimiscott's, is Fake Out and other priority moves.
    That is the most common way, so don't go quoting this unless you are a Thunder Trainer, cos I ain't listening

Quote Originally Posted by TheAwesomeOne View Post
    For all you noobs, the Number 1 way to counter Level 1 Whimiscott's, is Fake Out and other priority moves.
    That is the most common way, so don't go quoting this unless you are a Thunder Trainer, cos I ain't listening
    The number way to stop a level 1 Whimiscott is to not suck, because no good player should lose to it.

That too!
    LOL

Yes and then you also have to consider that if the person is using level 1 whimsicott then they suck at Pokemon, so you'll win against them anyways....

Anyhow, in Doubles (especially VGC) play, Beat Up + Tailwind sets are really common when paired with Terakion, who's arguably the best partner due to getting competitive spirit + rock slide (and earthquake).

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast