Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Community POTW #15

Prankster Thunderus's Taunt shuts down any Whimsicott set.

Cos I Like To Make You Cry
    Ev's 252 Sp atk 252 Speed, Timid Nature, Item: Leftovers
    Trait: Prankster
    Moves: Substitute, Toxic, Swagger, Energy Ball,

Set up a substitute, then make your opponent confused, folowed up by a poisoning then keep blasting that energy ball, because your targets confused and you have a substitute you'll be covered for a while, then when your substitute dries up you have prankster to set you one up before you can take too many hits and of course leftovers help with your healing.

When Whimsicott has no speed EVs. With 216 Speed EVs and a positive speed nature, Thundurus gets screwed... wait no it doesn't, if it has HP Ice.
    Ignore, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeoneIGuess View Post
    When Whimsicott has no speed EVs. With 216 Speed EVs and a positive speed nature, Thundurus gets screwed... wait no it doesn't, if it has HP Ice.
    People won't willingly trade Bold nature and def/spdef Evs for something made obsolete by prankster and for a single counter.

>Cloyster

If Cloyster comes in on Whismicott, it can revenge it with Icicle Spear. However, if Whismicott comes in on a Cloyster as it Shell Smashes, they can encore it and shut it down.
    "Open your mouth too wide, and your ears close."

Do you wish you could do things like in the anime?
    Do you wish you could dodge behind a rock to avoid an attack?
    Do you wish that you could use the arena to stop your opponents cold?
    If you answered yes to any of those questions, the Pokemon Anime Style Battling League could be for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
    >Cloyster

If Cloyster comes in on Whismicott, it can revenge it with Icicle Spear. However, if Whismicott comes in on a Cloyster as it Shell Smashes, they can encore it and shut it down.
    But you need to be careful with Cloyster. It's weak to grass, and since whimiscott has higher speed, it could Probably OHKO or 2HKO it.

If it's a OHKO, cloyster won't be able to counter it.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Magnemite used Sonic Boom! Magnemite glitched through the wall! It's super effective! Lyric fainted!

For a counter what about a dream world Espeon or Xatu?
    Dragons are my friend, Ice is my foe...
    (Kyurem is an exception) dragonics rule

-Let us hope for gen 6 to turn out well!

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    But you need to be careful with Cloyster. It's weak to grass, and since whimiscott has higher speed, it could Probably OHKO or 2HKO it.

If it's a OHKO, cloyster won't be able to counter it.
    Except that it's best for Whismicott not to run any offensive moves.

...Though I guess you could do some sort of gimmick Growth set, but that's a little too gimmicky, even for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragrath View Post
    For a counter what about a dream world Espeon or Xatu?
    Very true- Magic Bounce pokemon shut the typical Whismicott down totally.
    "Open your mouth too wide, and your ears close."

Do you wish you could do things like in the anime?
    Do you wish you could dodge behind a rock to avoid an attack?
    Do you wish that you could use the arena to stop your opponents cold?
    If you answered yes to any of those questions, the Pokemon Anime Style Battling League could be for you!

Here's some other thoughts I had on this: firstly, unless this only applies to in-game battles, I believe focus sash is 'consumed' on use, thus the idea for a lvl 1 Cottonee to repeatedly abuse focus sash is thoroughly sunk.

Also some other possible counters (because the more ways there are to kill Whimsicott the better): Tentacruel and Swalott with liquid ooze can switch into a leech seed and thus cause Whimsicott to lose HP, and they are immune to toxic, and if the Whimsicott then switches out Tentacruel can just rapid spin the seed away if you want. Fire spin/magma storm could also spell doom for sash or sub users, as it both repeatedly damages and traps them, but then again nobody seems to use fire spin...

Team of my favourites:

4th Gen 'Demolition Squad'

This is for competitive battling, people have loads of Focus Sashes. Level 1 Cottonee, like all other Level 1 Pokémon, are ruined by Priority, multi hit moves, and much more.

Quote Originally Posted by .Bright Side. View Post
    People won't willingly trade Bold nature and def/spdef Evs for something made obsolete by prankster and for a single counter.
    Well, some of the sets here actually run speed EVs... not like I know why though. Never used Whimsicott, never will.

And that counter is quite common too. Or at least pretty common. I dunno.
    Ignore, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeoneIGuess View Post
    Well, some of the sets here actually run speed EVs... not like I know why though. Never used Whimsicott, never will.

And that counter is quite common too. Or at least pretty common. I dunno.
    If you were to look at the Pokemon and the sets I use on them, I make sure I have Whimsicott being faster than everything else as a safety measure against other Taunt users with Prankster and for the use of U-Turn. I don't build a set for a specific individual, I build it based on team needs.
    The other Pokemon I tend to use are:
    Terrakion
    Azelf
    Gallade
    Scizor
    Starmie
    Entei
    Eelektross
    Scolipede
    Shuckle
    Crobat
    Excadrill
    Yanmega
    Lucario
    Gastrodon
    Bronzong
    Hydreigon
    Dragonite
    Victini
    Chandelure
    Togekiss

Whimsicott is not fending for itself unless it for some reason is your last Pokemon. Whimsicott is something that I see as a sweep preparation of sorts. It certainly can do more, but making a simple sweep is what makes Whimsicott one of the most dangerous Pokemon around.
    I claim Buizel.

Anti-lead subseed but I see most people had already posted that...That just helps back up its awesomeness
    {CURSED by the Random Number Goddess}

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." -Mewtwo
    "We do have a lot in common. The same Earth, the same air, the same sky. Maybe if we started looking at what's the same instead of looking at what's different...Well who knows?" -Meowth
    "It's more important to master the cards you're working with than to complain about the ones your opponents were dealt." -Elite Four Grimsley

Levels and statistics are just numbers.

Except that it's best for Whismicott not to run any offensive moves.
    Some don't want to be shut down by taunt.

Only some will be countered.
    Magnemite used Sonic Boom! Magnemite glitched through the wall! It's super effective! Lyric fainted!

the best counter to whismicott is magic bounce xatu or espeon.

BW FC: 1592 4361 7083

Offering Female (Timid) with dark pulse. Male (timid) with roost, stored power and psycho shift. (Brave)-(no Guard) with ice punch, fire punch, thunder punch. Female (brave) with sucker punch. (adamant) with icicle crash. (adamant) with ice punch, cross chop and thunder punch. Female (Sassy) with leech seed and spikes. I can also breed a DW
    I can also give pokerus to any pokemon

ParaFusion Whimiscott

Ability: prankster
    Nature:Bold
    EVs: 252 Speed/84 Defense, sp defense, and HP
    Item: Big Root/Wide Lens

stun spore
    swagger
    substitute/cotton guard
    giga drain

Parafusion induced by the Stun spore/swagger combo. Substitute sets up a shield to protect you from those random shots that would have otherwise connected or you can use cotton guard to increase your defense until you(r forced to) switch out. Giga drain is your attack/health restoring blah blah blah

Best bet with items is to go with with the Big Root here, but stun spore's accuracy is terrible, its just abysmal, so you might want to consider using the wide lens to help with your accuracy issues. Then again 85 accuracy is hardly better than 75 accuracy so you might as well hope your Whimiscott is the luckiest piece of cotton alive. That or have a teammate baton pass it a hone claws (or baton pass from an acupuncture Drapion if it hits accuracy), though the only hone claw baton passer I can think of is Durant... (yeah that iron coated ant thing)... so good luck with that.

SubSeed Whimiscott definitely works better as a lead, but this can win you a match late game. Definitely think twice about swaggering attack sweepers though. A MixTar can destroy this with little to no issue, as well as any pkmn with an ice attack (im looking at you Weavile, swift swimmers under rain, or even Mammoswine) especially something faster than whimiscott with ice shard. Limber pkmn make this set useless, though Im sure your rarely run into a limber pkmn in the OU environment. Own Tempo Slowbro/Slowking should never be swaggered (lest it baton pass it off to something that can use the attack boost) but need to watch out for giga drain. Own tempo Ludicolo can force a switch, besides paralyzing, theres not much Whi,iscott can do against it. Also be wary of Dream World Espeon and Xatu. Xatu walls little cotton fluff completely thanks to its ability and typing, but your more likely to see Espeon in (OU) now because of its improved usefulness. I personally carry hidden power fire on my espeon (that 4x hit is lovely on those most popular of set up artists Ferrothorn and Forretress) which murders any unsuspecting Whimiscott.

It's most common set, subseed, is countered by magic guard alakazam, renuculis(SP), and enemy grass types(Unless they are also subseeders)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345