Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #15

I'm just going to throw some of my thoughts into the fray here, as plenty of movesets have been covered already.

First, I hate this thing. It's relegated Jumpluff to being nigh-useless, as well as the other speedy support grass types. That said, other grass types with offensive moves make for good counters against those Whimsicotts that have no offensive attacks but rely on leech seed. But of course it gets hurricane for no logical reason other than to attack other grass types. Also, does sap sipper give immunity to leech seed? If so, Pokes with that ability would also make fair counters.

As has been mentioned, Magic Bounce/Magic Coat will allow you to laugh at Whimsicott as you reflect all its tricks right back at it.

Regarding speed, I don't think it's a good idea to sacrifice speed EVs altogether. Whimsicott isn't just a Prankster, it's the fastest Prankster in the entire game, but only if you invest in its speed. Otherwise it will be outsped by the weather genies and (later) Liepard, who admittedly don't have such a diverse set of status moves but do get taunt and are amply capable of subsequently killing it. Other Whimsicott could be a problem as well. Thus some speed EVs might be a good idea.

Team of my favourites:

4th Gen 'Demolition Squad'

Cotton in a Hurricane!
    Moves:
    Leech Seed
    Toxic
    Cotton Guard
    Hurricane
    EVs:
    252 Defence/160 Speed/92 Special Attack/4 HP
    Item:
    Leftovers

This is designed to stall hard. Leech Seed basically gives you additional recovery with your Leftovers, and allows you to stall poison types; Toxic will kill your opponent quicker, but you won't get restoration, but will allow you to stall grass types. Cotton Guard is there to make you a wall...made of cotton, making it increasingly difficult for your opponent to inflict damage on you. Hurricane can cause a confusion on your opponent, which is always nice, but works as a counter to any bugs who want to nibble away at you.

FEAR/seed/stall/icott (not sure exactly what to call it)

Im debating about trying out this set:

Prankster
    focus sash
    modest/timid
    IDK about EVs
    as low a level as possible!

leach seed
    taunt
    toxic
    giga drain/energy ball

I've seen someone try this our on PO on me and it was really annoying. So I'm thinking about trying it out for funzies. first, leach seed the target. your target will try to hit you, but you got a focus sash. after the attacks you will ideally restore your entire health because of your low level. this will keep on happening if the target stays. next turn taunt to avoid getting poisoned, entry hazards, etc. then toxic to help knock them out. restoring hp every turn will wall them by keeping you alive until they break the focus sash or burn/poison you. poisoning the target can speed it up, in addition to helping you out if they want to recover a lot. giga drain or energy ball are fillers, although giga drain might not be that helpful because its dependent on the damage you did. endeavor cold be there but it is learned at lv 40, and at that point you will have too much hp to for the leach seed to work

and yes, magic coats, grass types, and steel types will cause this to fail. and someone with fire or poison attacks could burn or poison you, breaking the sash. hail and sandstorm too
    Last edited by kaiser soze; 11th April 2011 at 12:56 AM.

I have claimed Giratina

Support:
    Whimsicott:
    252 HP/252 Def/4SpD or 4 Spe
    Nature: Bold
    Item: Swimming Goggles (lol) I meant lefties
    Moves:
    Taunt
    Leech Seed
    Substitute
    Toxic/Encore/U-Turn

Comments:
    Run max Defense cause wimsicotts defense is crap and 4 the rest of the evs you can either choose between Spd or Spe. Spe is for breaking the speed tie with other whimsicott. Now with the items, the swimming goggles was a joke, you need to run lefties. You need taunt to block stealth rocks, set up, sweepers, a bunch of other junk, etc. You get the point. Leech Seed can recover off all his health so he can make subs. Substitute is the niche of this set. Once you set up seeds (or toxic if you are running that) you can recover off the HP lost by your subs. Since due to prankster the subs have plus 1 you can sub take a hit sub, etc. It gois in a chain like that while the opponent slowly ever slowly gets widdled down to death. For the last slot my preffered option is toxic as you can wear the opponent down that much quicker. However Encore can be used to annoy your opponent to the point of RQ and u-turn can be used to escape a trickly situation.

Cry into this cotton pillow.

Whimsicott@Choice Scarf
    Jolly | Prankster
    252Spe | 252Hp | 6Def
    `Switcheroo
    `Stun Spore
    `Memento
    `U-Turn / Leech Seed

Annoy and exit, simple as that.
    Last edited by peacemaker987; 11th April 2011 at 2:33 AM.
    lil' ball of spheal.

Haven't seen this one yet.

Setting up on a Whimsicott

Whimsicott @ Wide lens
    Prankster
    Timid
    252 Speed/252 Special Attack/4 Defense

-Hurricane/Psychic/Dream Eater/Shadow Ball
    -Giga Drain/Energy Ball
    -Growth
    -Grass Whistle

Gonna need all the speed you can get with this one, as well as max special, though that isn't as important. Wide Lens helps with Hurricane and Grass Whistle. Hurricane is a nice power move with the occasional confusion bonus added in. Psychic is extra, though Dream Eater Work well in tangent with Grass Whistle, though if you want something far more consistant, run Giga Drain. If you're running Dream Eater, Energy Ball is recommended. Shadow Ball is just... there. The extra def EVs are just in case you might survive something and pull out a win. It's fairly useful in stopping Pokemon that are already set up, if you're lucky with the Grass Whistle.
    This is mah nuzlocke run. c: Credit goes to Taro for the banner.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmahX View Post
    Traits

Counters

Substitute smashers usually do the trick. Ambipom, Vanilluxe, Mamoswine and Cinccino are pretty good for that. Brick Break is handy for dispatching screens, and bulky grass types can get past Leech Seed. Ferrothorn, Venasaur, Tangrowth, Leafeon, Amoonguss, Breloom, Shaymin, Abomasnow, Cradily, Roserade, and other Whimsicotts with higher speed are all very good choices.
    Others that do quite well are Pokemon with Synchronize or Magic Bounce Ability. Whimsicott's Prankster "offensive" will backfire quite poorly if you get a Sync'd or Mag-Bounced Toxic in your face.

Magic Bounce is only available to Natu, Xatu, and Espeon and only via the Dream World, but it is a huge threat once available. Until then, Synchronize can deal with Toxic or Stun Spore quite nicely, as will Guts, Quick Feet, Natural Cure, or other Abilities that work with/around Status Effects or the Moves Facade (gets quite nasty with STAB and Guts behind it), Snatch, or Magic Coat (Priority Stage on the latter 2 is a frightening 4!).

With weather (especially from Politoed's Drizzle or Ninetales's Drought) against Whimsicott, getting a Status past Hydration Accelgor or anything past a Sun Boosted Fire Move (from many things) will wreck you if you get reckless/careless/stupid/unlucky.

Multi-Pokemon Battles
    The door swings both ways with Prankster combat and combatting Prankster:
    -Targeting your own Poison Heal Breloom with Toxic in Doubles/Triples gives Breloom a chance at an Item besides Toxic Orb.
    -You have a decent shot at a 1-turn Sunny-Beam if you don't have/lose Drought in Doubles/Triples.
    -Swagger an Own Tempo Pokemon and let 'em wreak havoc.
    -Let loose a Prankster Tailwind and Skill Swap/Role Play Whimsicott with a slow Pokemon with a nasty Status Move like Pain Split, Will-o-Wisp, or Ghost Type's Curse (such as Spiritomb or Dusknoir, especially since they can use priority moves like Sucker Punch or Shadow Sneak).

Well, it really seems that supportive sets due to Prankster is what keeps this guy going, however, it's possible an offensive set with Growth can be utilized.

Growing Pains
    Whimsicott @ Life Orb
    Timid (+ Spd, -Atk)
    Prankster / Infiltrator
    ~ Growth
    ~ Giga Drain
    ~ Hurricaine / Hidden Power [Fire]
    ~ Hidden Power [Fighting] / U-Turn / Substitute / Leech Seed / Toxic / Taunt / Encore

It works ok if ran under the rain. Prankster lets it set up Growth first and use Substitute, Taunt, Encore, or Leech Seed if it uses those in slot four. However, Infiltrator gets past screens, and Whimsicott is pretty fast as it is. Giga Drain is your main STAB move and heals of Life Orb recoil. You probably should run him under the rain to halve fire damage and boost Hurricaine's accuracy. However, if you don't, just run HP Fire. HP Fighting hits Ferrothorn and Steels, U-Turn gets you out of sticky situations, while the other moves can support Whimsicott's "sweep". Substitute and Encore can ensure a free set up with some prediction, while Leech Seed and Toxic give him the ability to damage foes he normally can't hit. Taunt can prevent the opponent from setting up.

Quote Originally Posted by Weavile22 View Post
    Countering Whimsicott

Whimsicott's main intention is speed out the pokemon, add status, leechh HP, then block. Pokemon with big speed will help. Accelgor with Bug buzz will take down most whimsicotts. Your only problem then is the ever so common focus sash on it, so a u-turn might help more. So just remember, if you can outrun the whimsicott, take a chunk out of it or kill it, then retreat, you should be fine.

-Weavile22
    Except for priority Substitute and Leech Seed. The only counters are Grass 'mons and pokemon with Magic Guard.

I also don't see why everyone is posting offensive sets. Whimsicott has no offensive prowess at all. The only viable set for her would be defensive Subseed...
    Last edited by Cometk; 11th April 2011 at 7:00 AM.

I do not have any double/triple strategies this time, but I have a good reason why this pokemon was made. Gyrados, Garchomps, Blissies, and a whole lot of other OUs are same old, but unstoppable once their plans go through, especially Smeargle. Wimsicott and it's special ability, prankster, will help stop these predictable monsters on their tracks.

My favorites happen to be mid-evolved poison types.

Status Drain

Attacks

Toxic/Grasswhistle
    Giga Drain
    Leech Seed
    Hidden Power Rock/Hurricane

Toxic and Grasswhistle cause a bad status condition

Leech Seed drains some hp each turn

Hurricane and Hidden Power are your last resorts

This attack set is focus mainly on giving the oppoment a hard time with a status condition while sapping his hp. Toxic ends the battle earlier but it drains less hp dur to the fact that the opponent can still attack Grasswhistle puts the opponent to sleep and u can drain as much hp for 2-5 turns

The best way to use it is firstly giving your opponent a status condition then follows up with leech seed and finally spams Giga Drain

Nature Timid ( + Spd - Attack)

For EVs better to train on HP because you are relying on your draining moves and SP attack this will cause more damage to the opponent

Item: Big Root

Pokemon White Friend Code: 0776 3825 4130
    Name: Cal

Admin Mudkip of

http://www.facebook.com/ThePokemonEmpire

http://www.facebook.com/PokemonStartersRock

Plz like

I use this set against wi-fi's until my brother released it >

Hellsicott
    Ability: Prankster
    Nature: Bold/CalmItem: Leftovers
    Moves:
    Leech seed
    Toxic
    Giga Drain
    Protect

Leech seed help recover health along with leftovers and Giga drain. Protect is for toxic stalling AND Leech seed stalling. This set works well with most pokemon, but Grass/Poison types can go on. Feint can also muck this set up which is why Defence is very important.
    I CALL DIBS ON DREAM WORLD ESPEON!
    ABILITY SO COOL
    ITS AWESOME.
    'Nuff said.

Lf modest DW poliwag offering adamant darumaka, and a few MALE dream world eevee's PM me if you have one.
    Also looking for shiny: Cryogonal, Heatmore and Trubbish.

I have plenty of Darumaka (2 boxes, Inner focus ones via breeding) and Eevees.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
    Bold
    Prankster
    252 Def 252 SDef 4 HP
    Sunny Day/Encore
    Taunt
    Substitute
    Leech Seed

The best niche Whimsicott fills is Anti-Lead/Subseeder. Taunt or Encore to force a switch, Substitute on the switch, and leech seed. Sunny Day is viable for teams who depend on it, but Whimsicott is useful even without Weather synergy.

Counters:
    The most glaring threat is Mienshao with Fake Out, which does outspeed +1 status move.

Quote Originally Posted by .Bright Side. View Post
    Whimsicott @ Leftovers
    Bold
    Prankster
    252 Def 252 SDef 4 HP
    Sunny Day/Encore
    Taunt
    Substitute
    Leech Seed

The best niche Whimsicott fills is Anti-Lead/Subseeder. Taunt or Encore to force a switch, Substitute on the switch, and leech seed. Sunny Day is viable for teams who depend on it, but Whimsicott is useful even without Weather synergy.

Counters:
    The most glaring threat is Mienshao with Fake Out, which does outspeed +1 status move.
    Weavile says "hi" with Ice Shard and Fake Out. Fake Out is great, but having higher Speed and a STAB Priority as well is a colossal threat to Whimsicott. Those facts are why Garchomp is never a threat in my mind, as well.

ninjask is prob a good counter to whimsicott as a lead. protect first round for speed boost, the x-scissor, hoping you dont get taunted and they rather try hurricane to KO your lead

I have claimed Giratina

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    Weavile says "hi" with Ice Shard and Fake Out. Fake Out is great, but having higher Speed and a STAB Priority as well is a colossal threat to Whimsicott. Those facts are why Garchomp is never a threat in my mind, as well.
    A switch into Chandelure first turn can remedy that, though. Timid choice scarf heatwave to kill it.

Wishmicott@Focus Sash
    Timid - Prankster
    EVs: Max out speed. Remaining in SDEF/HP

Lead
    -Toxic/Stun Spore
    -Taunt
    -Leech Seed
    -U-Turn

Toxic/Stun Spore - Whichever status you want to inflict.
    Taunt - Blocks Spikes/Toxic Spikes/ Stealth Rock and setup
    Leech Seed - Sap Away
    U-Turn - Get the hell outa there.
    Last edited by PKMN Legend Anthony; 11th April 2011 at 4:37 PM.
    Name: Anthony
    Water Enthusiast
    Pokemon Y FC - 1478 3749 8124
    Pokemon Y Trades

I have used this set many, many times to great success. It has mon me matches.

Whismicott w/ Leftovers + Prankster
    Bold nature, 252 HP, 252 Def, 6 Speed
    Substitute
    Leech Seed
    Encore
    Taunt

This is AMAZING. If the opponent doesn't have a pokemon immune to Leech Seed and I get up a Sub, I pretty much win (excepting multi-hit moves and other such trickery).
    Basically, you come in on someone who's setting up, or something like Chansey which has little to no attacking moves. Use Encore in the first scenario, and Taunt in the second scenario. After that, set up a Sub. If they switch to anything that can be Leech Seeded, Leech Seed it. If they stay in and can be Leech Seeded, Leech Seed it. If they send in something immune to Leech Seed, Taunt them as they break your sub, then switch out. Or, if they don't break your sub... Encore what they did, or Leech Seed the predicted switch-in as needed. If something with Taunt/Another Prankster pokemon comes in, TAUNT IT. I want to explain it more, but it's so elegant in it's simplicity, there's really nothing else I can explain. Use your brain and predictict properly, and this guy will serve you very, very well.
    Last edited by Kindrindra; 12th April 2011 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Put in reasoning.
    "Open your mouth too wide, and your ears close."

Do you wish you could do things like in the anime?
    Do you wish you could dodge behind a rock to avoid an attack?
    Do you wish that you could use the arena to stop your opponents cold?
    If you answered yes to any of those questions, the Pokemon Anime Style Battling League could be for you!

All right, here's a set I've been using for a while:

Anti-lead
    Bold@Leftovers
    Prankster
    4 HP/244 Def/252 Sp. Def/8 Speed
    -Taunt
    -Substitute
    -Leech Seed
    -Stun Spore

So the gist of this set is to destroy leads. Taunt keeps Pokemon from setting up. Substitute absorbs statuses and works with Leech Seed, and Stun Spore can paralyze. The 4 HP EVs are for Whimsicott recovering more HP every turn as opposed to if it had 252 HP EVs. 8 Speed EVs are for outspeeding other Prankster Whimsicott. Sp. Def is maxed out, and the rest into defense.

Its counters are Magic Bouncers and other Grass types; while the former can reflect everything Whimsicott can throw at it, the latter is immune to just Leech Seed.
    On #spp and #spp-wifi as: Revan, Aegislash
    FC: 2621-2733-0166
    IGN: Lautrec

Now You See Me... Now You Don't
    @Focus Sash
    Ability:Prankster
    Brave nature
    -Grasswhistle
    -Double Team
    -Leech Seed
    -Energy Ball

First, use grasswhistle to buy time to set this up. Then, use leech seed to hurt the foe while you're stalling. Then, proceed to keep using double team until you can't do so any longer. Once your evasiveness is at its max, finish off the foe with energy ball.
    Welp, my signature was deleted. Gimme a minute here.

Subseed
    @Miracle Seed
    Ability:Prankster
    Modest nature
    -Leech Seed
    -Substitute
    -Mega Drain
    -U-turn

First, use Leech Seed to hurt the foe and heal yourself as you keep using substitute. However, if the HP loss catches up to you or you want to finish off the foe unexpectedly, use mega drain. Use u-turn as a last resort if nothing is really happening to the foe's HP and you're pretty much just stalling. The brave nature boosts mega drain and lowers the unused attack.
    Last edited by Cherrim 8-); 11th April 2011 at 10:47 PM.
    Welp, my signature was deleted. Gimme a minute here.

i run mine with max defenses, and as the smallest hp iv possivle while still having a lefties number
    "The strong did what they could, the weak suffered what they must." -Thucydides

I'm new so don't judge!

here is what I use on mine

You look like a hard pillow.

Whimsicott@Wide Lens
    Trait:Prankster
    -Giga drain/energyball/grass knot
    -Hurricane
    -Grass Whistle
    -Cotton Gaurd

Giga drain got boosted from last gen. and can kind of be a recovery move. Energy ball has more power and grass knot strikes hadder or lesser that both. Hurricane is to get rid of other grass types and is pretty strong. The Wide leds is for the grass whistle por acc.that because of Prankster get to go first. Cotton Garud also get priority and can make you a sort of a wall. I like useing this set on fighting types.

so how did I do?

Aw yeah, Whimsicott! Heh.

"The Set I Use On My Whimsicott"
    Whimsicott @Leftovers
    Calm
    Prankster
    236 Hp, 148 Def, 124 Sp.Def

-Leech Seed
    -Taunt
    -Substitute
    -Hidden Power (Rock)
    Leech Seed is REALLY great, what with priority from Prankster and the healing, Taunt to stop set up, Substitute for stalling, protecting, and SubSeed. Hidden Power (Rock) is there just because I like to have an attack move handy at all times, and so I don't become useless against Taunt.

"Whimsistandard"
    Whimsicott @Leftovers
    Calm
    Prankster
    200 Hp, 155 Def, 155 Sp.Def

-Encore/Toxic
    -Leech Seed
    -Taunt
    -Substitute
    Encore for annoying your opponent, Toxic is for whittling down your enemy, however slowly. Taunt for preventing set up, Substitute for stalling, protecting, and Leech Seed makes SubSeed.

"Whimswitcheroo"
    Whimsicott @Choice Scarf/Specs/Band
    Calm
    Prankster

-Switcheroo
    -Leech Seed
    -Substitute
    -Encore/Toxic
    Works JUST like standard Whimsicott, except uses Switcheroo>Taunt to force the enemy to only use one move. Fun to trap them into using set up.

"Whimsupport"
    Whimsicott @Leftovers
    Calm
    Prankster
    188 Hp, 155 Def, 155 Sp.Def, 12 Spe

-Leech Seed
    -Substitute
    -Safeguard
    -Encore/Toxic/Stun Spore
    Support Whimsicott, hence the name. Leech Seed and Substitute for SubSeed, Safeguard for status protection, Encore for locking the opponent into using only one attack, Toxic for Badly Poisoning, Stun Spore for paralysis support. EVs for outpseeding other Whimsicotts.

"Seed-And-Run"
    Whimsicott @Leftovers
    Calm
    Prankster

-U-turn
    -Leech Seed
    -Encore
    -Toxic
    Leech Seed + Toxic = opponent KOed very quickly. Encore locks the target into only one attack, U-Turn for getting out of a sticky situation. No Substitute because inevitably,
    U-Turn will be used, and switching out ruins Sub.

------------------------------------
    Pre-Evo Corner

Cottonee is sure to be used this gen, able to use FEAR, SubSeed, etc. Like Chansey, Cottonee is likely to be used more then its evo. So, here are a few Cottonee sets.

"SubSeed"
    Cottonee @Eviolite
    Calm
    Prankster
    4 Hp, 252 Def, 252 Sp.Def

-Leech Seed
    -Substitute
    -Encore
    -Toxic
    One of the main differences between Cottonee and Whimsicott is that Cottonee can't run attacks as well, so.... Leech Seed and Substitute make SubSeed, Encore for locking the target into one move only, Toxic for stalling.

"FEAR The Cottonee!"
    Cottonee Lv 1 @Focus Sash
    Any Nature
    Prankster
    No EVS

-Grasswhistle
    -Endeavor
    -Leech Seed
    -Encore
    "FEAR" Cottonee! Grasswhistle is used to put the opponent to sleep, Endeavor brings the enemy's HP down to abyssimal levels, Focus Sash so you can survive that first hit, Encore for making the target only use one move.
    Last edited by Ghosts of the Forums; 16th April 2011 at 11:59 PM.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Whismicott with it's Prankster ability makes it a great Subseed-er (Though a little less helpful with its huge speed stat) Give it a Leftovers, add Giga Drain and Hurricane to the mix and you've got a strong Pokemon. But Cottonee looks a lot better...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast