Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should the 'Flying' type be replaced?

Default Should the 'Flying' type be replaced?

Theres always been much discussion over Pokemon typings and how they've been fairly limited to two slots, and we would need at least triple typings so every pokemon would get the types they deserve. This shouldn't be the case.

The best way to solve the problem would be to alter the 'Flying' type or even remove it altogether. Its the only type which seems to take the potential away from many Pokemon by taking up their second type slot, as the capability of flight is very common. Its an action, and should be considered more of an ability than anything. I wouldn't understand why flygon, reshiram and other dragons get to have their own unique types.

This is why I think a suitable typing would be a 'Bird' type, given to Pokemon like Skarmory, Pidgey, Dodrio and so on, alongside the moves like gust, arial ace and tornado. It would be more obvious why the Flying type has its strengths and weaknesses in the first place, and Pokemon which don't fall into the category of Birds could then finally recieve their own unique second typings whilst still being able to levitate and have access to Bird(flying) type moves.

Thoughts on this idea?
    Last edited by Sonikku; 12th April 2011 at 11:50 PM.

Beedrill is Bug/Poison.
    FLY AWAY NOW, FLY AWAY NOW, FLY AWAY!

BW FC: 5243 1690 3512

Quote Originally Posted by Sonikku View Post
    Theres always been much discussion over Pokemon typings and how they've been fairly limited to two slots, and we would need at least triple typings so every pokemon would get the types they deserve. This shouldn't be the case.

The best way to solve the problem would be to alter the 'Flying' type or even remove it altogether. Its the only type which seems to take the potential away from many Pokemon by taking up their second type slot, as the capability of flight is very common. Its an action, and should be considered more of an ability than anything. I wouldn't understand why flygon, reshiram and other dragons get to have their own unique types, whilst poor old bedrill has to use up his second typing just because he owns a pair of wings.

This is why I think a suitable typing would be a 'Bird' type, given to Pokemon like Skarmory, Pidgey, Dodrio and so on, alongside the moves like gust, arial ace and tornado. It would be more obvious why the Flying type has its strengths and weaknesses in the first place, and Pokemon which don't fall into the category of Birds could then finally recieve their own unique second typings whilst still being able to levitate and have access to Bird(flying) type moves.

Thoughts on this idea?
    Beedrill is Bug/Poison anyway, not Flying. And I think "Flying" is called "Bird-type" in Japan.

Anyway, there's more to Flying than being immune to Ground (i.e. Fighting resistance), so Flying serves it's purpose as a type. Things don't "give up" a secondary type to become Flying, they were set to be flying by Gamefreak, who wanted them to have that type combination over alternatives. I see no need to remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmander#4 View Post
    Beedrill is Bug/Poison.
    Mixed that up pretty bad. argument still stands mind.

^ Flying type moves are rarely used in competitive battles, so they're useless in terms of offense, but they can be decent in terms of defense on certain types.

Quote Originally Posted by Ememew View Post
    Beedrill is Bug/Poison anyway, not Flying. And I think "Flying" is called "Bird-type" in Japan.
    Bedrill wasn't a bad example, just the wrong one. :')

And yes, Bird-type was originally in place of Flying-type in the early stages of development. It was changed to Flying-type, because not all Pokemon with wings, like Butterfree or Charizard, would be birds, thus needed a secondary type to represent their ability to fly.

This was back in the day of 151 Pokemon and no abilities however, so then it seemed to make sense, but if Pokemon had originated in the form of the more modern instalments, it would be a different story.

Skull-Kid is offline I am Currently Awaiting Email Confirmation

If you have a look at all the Flying-type Pokemon, almost(Gyarados and Tropius being notable exceptions)all of them are birds or bugs. It makes sense they would be part Flying-type. Gamefreak haven't done it to ruin a Pokemons potential. They do it because it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dattebayo View Post
    ^ Flying type moves are rarely used in competitive battles, so they're useless in terms of offense, but they can be decent in terms of defense on certain types.
    Actually in today's meta with the fighting types around, its not as useless as you may think. At first a lot of people dismissed Tornadus because of lacking the electric and ground typing its brethren share. But, no type is immune to flying, which means Tornadus can spam hurricane all day long in the rain without something being immune to it.

One of the problems though, is that flying doesn't have many good users. Fly and Bounce are terrible moves because of the two turn deal. Brave Bird users are few and far between. And the ones that get moves like that usually have other problems. E.G. Staraptor being SR weak. So its not a useless type, but it is somewhat mediocre compared to other typings.

Alpha Sapphire --> Arceus is the Alpha pokemon --> Arceus is a generation 4 pokemon --> Sinnoh confirmed!!

(Yeah, get used to it now, because this is what you're going to have to put up with for the next 5-7 years)

Hmmm... interesting thought but bird wouldn't apply to things like Zubat.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMaaan View Post
    Thanks, there was no reason to be like that, I could just find your quotes where you support bullying. I've made clear countless times that my parents spoke with her parents, it didn't work, i spoke with her, it didnt work, what the hank do you want me to do? call the cops, lol? slapping her was the only option, only an idiot wouldn't be able to grasp that, her bullying should NOT be allowed to continue. It's obvious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    - YourFavoriteUser because, well I forgot what I was going to put here but I was definitely going to shout him out for something.

might as well. wont make too much of a difference anyway

no flying is one of my fav types
    white fc 3353 5984 6367

check out my youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/theragin...o?feature=mhee currently doing pokemon mystery dungeon explorers of sky

1. Charizard
    2. Butterfree
    3. Zubat
    4. Golbat
    5. Scyther
    6. Gyarados
    7. Dragonite
    8. Ledyba
    9. Ledian
    10. Crobat
    11. Togetic
    12. Hoppip
    13. Skiploom
    14. Jumpluff
    15. Yanma
    16. Gligar
    17. Mantine
    18. Beautifly
    19. Masquerain
    20. Ninjask
    21. Tropius
    22. Salamence
    23. Rayquaza
    24. Mothim
    25. Combee
    26. Vespiquen
    27. Drifloon
    28. Drifblim
    29. Mantyke
    30. Togekiss
    31. Yanmega
    32. Rotom
    33. Shaymin
    34. Arceus
    35. Woobat
    36. Swoobat
    37. Sigilyph
    38. Emolga
    39. Tornadus
    40. Thundurus
    41. Landorus

The only thing I hate about Flying types is that alot of them are Normal/Flying

Spoiler:- Credits:

no type is immune to flying
    Rock, electric, and steel types are.
    "Love without truth is not real love, truth without love is not real truth"
    [IMG]http://oi51.*******.com/qn1ftl.jpg[/IMG]
    Credit to Wolftamer
        Spoiler:- Quote:

Quote Originally Posted by legendarypokemonmaster View Post
    Rock, electric, and steel types are.
    You seem to think immune means resist.

It doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ememew View Post

Anyway, there's more to Flying than being immune to Ground (i.e. Fighting resistance), so Flying serves it's purpose as a type. Things don't "give up" a secondary type to become Flying, they were set to be flying by Gamefreak, who wanted them to have that type combination over alternatives. I see no need to remove it.
    Nope, according to Bulbapedia, Flying-type is called Flying-type in Japan.

Anyways, I think this is a bad decision. If it's removed altogether, what would happen to Flying-types that don't look like birds like Zubat?
    GAMES ACCOMPLISHMENTS
    1st Prize in Caption Contest 7/15/11
    Won a Cool Vuvuzela in Pokémon Assembler!

Currently, I have an obsession with the Litwick line's tendency for sucking souls out.
    Fan Fics Stuff!
    i love pokémon is not only on Serebii, it's now on FanFiction.net!
    Author's Profile

Quote Originally Posted by rusaemfrlg View Post
    Actually in today's meta with the fighting types around, its not as useless as you may think.
    Same can be said with the once dominant Psychic types, and they're the better choice.

One of the problems though, is that flying doesn't have many good users. Fly and Bounce are terrible moves because of the two turn deal. Brave Bird users are few and far between. And the ones that get moves like that usually have other problems. E.G. Staraptor being SR weak. So its not a useless type, but it is somewhat mediocre compared to other typings.
    What about Sky Drop? It's a two-turn move that prevents the opponent from switching in. Plus STAB will increase its BP to 120. Let's not forget Aer*** Ace, though Smogon users will never use it for other non-flying Pokemon like Serperior and Heracross in terms of type coverage.

I think the reason there isnt a Bird type already is because there wouldnt be many differences between that and the Flying type :/

In terms of advantages and disadvantages that is.
    ~ Return to Hoenn! ~

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Empoleon View Post
    I think the reason there isnt a Bird type already is because there wouldnt be many differences between that and the Flying type :/

In terms of advantages and disadvantages that is.
    The only difference would be the 41 species of Pokemon that are Flying, but not birds.

There should only be an addition to a flying type called a bird type.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexin' Wishes
    What I like about the Mega Evolution line is how consistently ridiculously over the top they are. I mean just from what we have: Leather Dom Houndoom, Haute Couture Banette, Debutante Gardevoir, Alternative Circuit Party Angel Absol, L'Oreal model Ampharos, Ivan Ooze Aerodactyl, Sashimi Gyarados, Tweaker Raged Pinsir, Ghandi Alakazam... I could go on but you get the gist.

I anxiously await Fierce Drag Queen Jynx.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbean View Post
    Coro coro magazine proud to reveal all new never before seen mega evolutions of latios and latias (exclusive to japan)

Quote Originally Posted by GenosectArceus View Post
    There should only be an addition to a flying type called a bird type.
    That doesn't make any sense.

Oh wow, woops sorry, I misread just thought resistances.
    "Love without truth is not real love, truth without love is not real truth"
    [IMG]http://oi51.*******.com/qn1ftl.jpg[/IMG]
    Credit to Wolftamer
        Spoiler:- Quote:

No... just no.

NOTICE: Above White FC is no longer valid. FC is now 0562-2001-5885.

Awesome pic by xPrincessAmanda.

John 3:36, John 3:16, Romans 6:23, Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8, John 14:6, Ephesians 2:8-9, Acts 3:19
    Join the Serebii Christian Alliance - http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=368080

I always thought Flying as a type was a little weird. It would feel more natural if it were something such as "wind".

There are a lot of pokemon that can fly that aren't birds. So no, they should keep the flying type.

Plus, if they did get rid of the flying type, they'd have to retype all of the pokemon that AREN'T birds (Dragonite, Salamence, Landorus, etc).
    [IMG]http://i47.*******.com/2r40gt0.png[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i48.*******.com/j0wppv.jpg[/IMG]
    ~Shiny Card~
    If You're Interested in Shiny Hunting, Check Out Shiny Hunters United!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast