Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Abstinence in Middle School

Default Abstinence in Middle School

Right now, I'm in the eighth grade. They are currently teaching us about abstinence...and abstinence alone. I personally think that it's rediculous, if they teach us properly, I'm sure that we could make an informed decision ourselves about sex. They are not teaching us anything about condoms, STD's, or anything.
    Thanks, bye!
    Last edited by Metal Mania1321; 14th April 2011 at 12:37 AM.

Your friends should make their own decisions on sex based on their own feelings (religious or otherwise) on the subject.

While I don't think kids should be having sex in middle school, I can't stand abstinence-only education. Quite frankly, it doesn't work. Most of the population is going to have sex at some point in their lives and there's nothing wrong with keeping them informed on how to be protected. It's amazing to me how many people still think the pull-out method works and still think that having sex standing up is an effective contraceptive.

I know most parents don't want their kids having sex at that age, but informing them how to do so safely isn't telling them to go out and have sex. It's educating them on how to be healthy in the future. I think a combination of factual education (condom use, information on STDs/STIs, types of birth control, etc.) along with encouraging kids not to fall into peer pressure and to make their own choice to have sex when they're ready would be more effective than abstinence-only education.
    Last edited by Pesky Persian; 13th April 2011 at 11:51 PM.

Ignore everything they say and have as much protected sex as your body can handle. And tell your friends they'll get blue balls if they listen to any of that abstinence stuff.

I'm not saying my friends should go out and have sex right now, I'm just saying that they should not be afraid of sex (which they are). If they want to wait to have sex until after maraige thats fine, but it should not be because of some silly abstinence pledge.
    @ Blue Ralts, that is not exactly what I was thinking, oh and one of them is a girl (Who I'm romanticly interested in).
    Last edited by Metal Mania1321; 13th April 2011 at 11:57 PM.

What exactly makes you think they're afraid of sex? Did they say that or are you just assuming it? (I'm not being snarky, by the way, I'm genuinely curious.) There's nothing wrong with making an abstinence pledge, although I think at that age it's a little too early to know whether or not you really want to wait that long. And, coming from personal experience, abstinence pledges don't tend to work that well anyway.

Middle school? That's barely puberty...
    Formerly known as Jigglychu.

It's pretty obvious, when I told them to make their own decision and not to take what they are saying seriously, They said that their main reason for agreeing with the whole abstinence thing was religion, to which I replied "Thats fine, but I think you may miss out on alot of life's experiences." I suppose it's okay if they make that choice but I want them to be properly informed, which my lady friend isn't.

There's nothing wrong with staying abstinent for religious reasons. And they're not really missing out on an experience as they're more than likely to experience it later on in life. And as I said before, abstinence pledges don't usually work out well anyway. And it may not be an experience they want to have at this point in life. People grow and change and their thoughts and values can change as well. It's important for them to be properly informed, I agree. It's just difficult to teach someone who doesn't want to be taught.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigglychu View Post
    Studies show girls can hit puberty as early as 8 years old.

What's "the scam" that they only teach abstinence?
    "Love without truth is not real love, truth without love is not real truth"
    [IMG]http://oi51.*******.com/qn1ftl.jpg[/IMG]
    Credit to Wolftamer
        Spoiler:- Quote:

Your school should troll the teachers by saying that if nature didn't want us to reproduce at this age, then why are we able to? And if sex is so dangerous, then why don't we just sterilize ourselves? And especially since the human race is already ruining the world with overpopulation, violence, natural resource abuse, endangerment of species, revival of species that should be dead, introduction of invasive species such as themselves, animal abuse, plant abuse, other-life-form abuse, and pollution of the environment, then why don't we just sterilize everyone, or cut to the chase and exterminate the entire human race?

Let's see how the school responds to THAT, especially if everyone is saying it.

That card is dangerous to play in an internet forum, but so fun to play in real life on those that deserve it.

Seriously, don't actually comment on this.
    Last edited by TorchicBlaziken; 14th April 2011 at 12:40 AM.

^Not much of a scam as much as a misguided lie....
    And I believe I know what to say to my friends, thanks Peskey Persian. Okay, let's move onto opinions on teaching Abstinence in Middle School.

It's the only 100% safe way to prvent STI/Ds and pregnancy. How is what a lie?
    Credit to Wolftamer

Quote Originally Posted by legendarypokemonmaster View Post
    It's the only 100% safe way to prvent STI/Ds and pregnancy. How is what a lie?
    Its unreasonable to think kids are not going to have sex. Most people end up boning sometime in high school unless they are really ugly or nerdy.

Or have self control? Well abstinence is the best policy, but they should probably teach other stuff for people that won't wait, or talk to them specifically if they don't want to wait about other options I guess.
    Credit to Wolftamer

What ages are people in US middle schools? Because I was halfway through puberty when I was 13. My sister had periods from the age of 11.

Or actually teach them about safe sex. I'm sure that if you give us proper knowledge, we can make that decision ouselves. Also people who take abstinence pledges are just as likely to have sex as people who don't. Only difference is that kids who do take abstinence pledges are 10% more likely to have unprotected sex.

^about 10 to 14. And I hit puberty at a young age, I remember having sac hair at age 7, lol
    Last edited by Metal Mania1321; 14th April 2011 at 1:10 AM.

If you are ready to have sex then why not? Its a normal part of life and it positivity contributes to mental health and well being.

People should be taught about all of the nasty STD's out there if they really want people to stay abstinent.

But people should make decisions about sex based on their own maturity and the strength of their relationship with a person. And they should be taught about safe sex so that they will do it safely when they are ready for it.
    [IMG]http://i47.*******.com/2r40gt0.png[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i48.*******.com/j0wppv.jpg[/IMG]
    ~Shiny Card~
    If You're Interested in Shiny Hunting, Check Out Shiny Hunters United!

That's sad if taking a pledge doesn't mean anything. If you want them teaching "safe sex" wouldn't that mean you were not going to be abstinent, since if you were, you wouldn't need to know it? I guess if someone can't be talked into waiting they could talk about stuff like contraceptives.
    EDIT:
    If you are ready to have sex then why not? Its a normal part of life and it positivity contributes to mental health and well being.
    Not in middle school when kids are only 13.
    Last edited by legendarypokemonmaster; 14th April 2011 at 1:14 AM.
    Credit to Wolftamer

Just educate yourself. It's not the best option but you can teach yourself about the use of contraceptions and whatnot online. Even using something like Wikipedia is better than getting told to "just not have sex". You will have urges - lots of urges - and I find it difficult to believe that anybody can make it past 17 without thinking "I need to have sex". So, please please please please carry two condoms around with you from the age of 14/15.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Man View Post
    Not helping...

Quote Originally Posted by legendarypokemonmaster View Post
    That's sad if taking a pledge doesn't mean anything. If you want them teaching "safe sex" wouldn't that mean you were not going to be abstinent, since if you were, you wouldn't need to know it? I guess if someone can't be talked into waiting they could talk about stuff like contraceptives.
    Also not helping. Learning about contraceptives is compulsory in many countries, including my own, and I know many people who have remained abstinent and choose to do so until they are 18. A silly little pledge is not going to stop your hormones from telling you to go have sex with someone. This isn't something like taking drugs where you can firmly choose to remain ignorant and not listen to peer pressure - this is something your body tells you to do every day of your life. It becomes extremely difficult to suppress such feelings even if you masturbate. So, please don't give advice unless you have knowledge to give. It isn't helpful.
    Last edited by GaZsTiC; 14th April 2011 at 1:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GaZsTiC View Post
    So, please please please please carry two condoms around with you from the age of 14/15.
    Except keeping them in your wallet or car is a bad idea unless you want to run the risk of bein' a daddy.

I have glow in the dark ones for when I go to raves.

You should see the kids in my school, exact oposite
    [IMG]http://i40.*******.com/sdfti1.png[/IMG]
    banners made by the amazing quilt and by Mew_.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Man View Post
    I have glow in the dark ones for when I go to raves.
    Just for decoration, right?

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast