Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What determines a n00b in Pokemon?

Default What determines a n00b in Pokemon?

So I was thinking about this question the other day: What determines if someone is a n00b in Pokemon and competitive battling?

The term n00b is tossed around the gaming world to mean someone with out skill, although it is derived from the word newbie, meaning a new player. Now in Pokemon would the determination of someone's skill be based on simply the Pokemon they choose to use, or how they use them? I know that someone can use Pokemon from higher tiers and completely fail in the utilization of those Pokemon so the answer in this case would probably be "the utilization".

But let me give another example: My friend has always favored Ice and Water type Pokemon (and a Pinsir). People may look at his team and say "that team is totally dumb, etc., etc." But my question is, "If he knows how to utilize his team to the best of their abilities (IV's and EV's, abilities, moves, etc.) and has planned out strategies around them, then is he still a n00b for his Pokemon selection?" Please discuss. I would like to hear from what others have to say.
    Beware children and heed Uncle Lutz, lest these devious feminists obliterate you:

Quote Originally Posted by BigLutz View Post
    There are a few feminists out there with such a extreme view in terms of wiping out men that it matches the Nazi's movement of seeing a lower class and or being utterly genocidal.

The n00b isn't the one who uses Magikarp, the n00b is the one who loses to Magikarp.

If you copy and paste this into your signature, you will have copied and pasted it into your signature.

I guess it really depends on the situation.
    I mean, if you had a moveset in competitive battling which consisted of...cut, strength, tackle and...something else.
    I would call that hilariously bad.

However, when you say your friend who favours ice/water types and Pinsir's and he can utilize them with their abilities, moves and so on. Then I would say he isn't a noob, and is just finding ways to use his favourites in battles; which is really awesome.

But yeah...I guess it depends on the situation;
    I was battling a friend of mine once in a rotation battle, his volcarona used fly even though he could see that I had my Tyranitar on the field, so I switched and set up a rock slide.
    That is what I would call a nooby mistake, but he's not a complete noob :P
    James
    FC 4771 1307 9049 WHITE
    Playing Jap White 2 EXCITED

Time
    I operate under NZST (UTC+12). The times of which I am available are generally 9A.M - 1:30A.M.

Currently
    Hibernating. Training and playing White 2.

^ lol

Pokemon selection shouldn't determine whether one is a n00b or not. Even n00bs can win with teams of standard genericness. Pros can use things that seem terrible and still pull out wins.

EDIT: Oop, ninja'd by KalenArleth. I meant "lol" to the statement before that.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage23 View Post
    The n00b isn't the one who uses Magikarp, the n00b is the one who loses to Magikarp.
    So true! Nice quote right there.
    ------------------------------
    I like shorts, they're comfy and easy to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage23 View Post
    ^This.

N00bs aren't defined by practice, but the skill utilized in that practice. If you don't know what's weak against fire or rock, you're probably a n00b. If you have an effective and functional team of mostly fire or rock-types, that doesn't mean you don't know what you're doing, just that you like thinking outside the box.

White FC: 3654-1880-7019

3DS FC: 2105-8751-4059

In the case of your friend he would be a noob if he used those Pokémon solely because he liked them.

If you used those Pokémon that he likes effectively with good type coverage and purposeful spread of EV's and IV's then he wouldn't be a noob.

He would be even better than most players, lots of people use Conkeldurr's, Latios' and Blaziken's because they are really powerful, not necessarily because they like them. It's great that he is using the Pokémon that he loves successfully.

There are many criteria for being noobs as there are different types of noobs...the classic definition of noob is someone who is new to something. So in terms of pokemon, it's someone who is new to the metagame while being quite familiar to the game itself...therefore, they will exhibit classic characteristics such as using moves that may be effective in the game but useless in the metagame (namely the variants of hyper beam) or using moves that are banned in the metagame (like OHKO moves or evasion moves)...and then there's the other definition which still lends itslef to the players inability to confide with the rules of the metagame and therefore, they simply believe powerful pokemon will win them the game...these are the "uber noobs" who essentially spam ubers when they aren't allowed...you run into a lot of these on random wifi battles...and what's even funnier, some of them don't even know how to properly use ubers...and then there is the 3rd definition of noob and those are essentially the haters who don't get to know the complexity of the game before condemning it as simple or childish...anyways, this is how I have come to see the term noob...
    Draconic Pokemon are King: My Deviant: http://xxd17.deviantart.com

Future Omega Ruby Team:

Agree with what has been said, the Pokemon you use doesnt make you a noob if you know how to use them to their potential. One of my friends for example, his team consists of his favourite Pokemon which are all strong, like Tyranitar, Haxorus and such. Yet he is unable to beat me because he doesnt know anything about EVs, stats and only uses damage moves.
    My Black Team:

a teem of full ubers no evs ivs and bad natures
    R.I.P Dusk i miss you

Whether or not you give a crap about EVs and natures, really. If you just use pokemon because you think they are "cool", I'm sorry, sir, my sensors indicate you that you are indeed a n00b. *Beep!*

On a side note, retarded 6-year-old trolls who offer level one pokemon for Reshirams and Zekroms on the GTS are the lowest form of n00b. Ever.

Oh, and if you use nothing but attacking moves, that qualifies too.

NOTICE: Above White FC is no longer valid. FC is now 0562-2001-5885.

Awesome pic by xPrincessAmanda.

John 3:36, John 3:16, Romans 6:23, Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8, John 14:6, Ephesians 2:8-9, Acts 3:19
    Join the Serebii Christian Alliance - http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=368080

Oh, wait. Pokemon's about having fun those who troll others saying stuff about casual or competitve are THE REAL noobies. You might beat me at competitive but you can't beat me in real life. I'm stronger than you and I have friends.

Noobs are players who think they can beat you in a fight using Pokemon from Uber and OU, whether or not they EV trained them/IV breeded them, and end up getting their butts kicked by lower tiered Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by vxxl36 View Post
    Oh, wait. Pokemon's about having fun those who troll others saying stuff about casual or competitve are THE REAL noobies. You might beat me at competitive but you can't beat me in real life. I'm stronger than you and I have friends.
    How does me wanting to take pokemon to the next level make me a noobie.
    On topic: a noob imo, is someone that plays stall. To me, it doesnt take a lot of skill to stall.

Credit to Dark Sharpedo for the userbar.

I wasn't talking to you, I'm talking about the trolls. And you're not trolling anyone.

Noobs are people who don't understand the basics.

Choosing a certain Pokemon does not make someone a noob. It's a preference :/ If they just slap stuff on to that Pokemon without thought, then they're a noob. But like I said, they just don't understand the basics in that case.

RADIANT BLAZE ~

They have a team of level 60-80 Ubers and there starter and dont understand how natures or IV/EVs work and run around going "ZOMG I CAN PWNZ ALL YOU GUYZ WITH MAI POKEYMANZ!".

Putting hyper beam on all your pokemon and using nothing but that because you think it makes you awesome. That is a classic case of n00b to me.

If you rooted for Dawn during A Grand Fight For Winning even though you knew she'd lose, then copy and paste this in your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Dattebayo View Post
    Noobs are players who think they can beat you in a fight using Pokemon from Uber and OU, whether or not they EV trained them/IV breeded them, and end up getting their butts kicked by lower tiered Pokemon.
    Seriously? Just because you use an OU pokemon does not always make it better than say, a UU pokemon. They're grouped in terms of usage not power (unless you're talking about Ubers or BL).

When I think of n00b I tend to think of those who think the only usable Pokemon out there are legendaries.. Also hackers.

n00bs are people who call reasonable people with reasonable pokemon n00bs. And of course, there are hackers.

Quote Originally Posted by belbackinblack View Post
    The term n00b is tossed around the gaming world to mean someone with out skill, although it is derived from the word newbie, meaning a new player. Now in Pokemon would the determination of someone's skill be based on simply the Pokemon they choose to use, or how they use them? I know that someone can use Pokemon from higher tiers and completely fail in the utilization of those Pokemon so the answer in this case would probably be "the utilization".
    The term N00b has become degrading and I don't really think it means 'Newbie' anymore. It's often used in offensive behaviour anyway. Other than this, People who think they are better than other people tend to toss the word 'N00b' around. =/

Quote Originally Posted by belbackinblack View Post
    But let me give another example: My friend has always favored Ice and Water type Pokemon (and a Pinsir). People may look at his team and say "that team is totally dumb, etc., etc." But my question is, "If he knows how to utilize his team to the best of their abilities (IV's and EV's, abilities, moves, etc.) and has planned out strategies around them, then is he still a n00b for his Pokemon selection?" Please discuss. I would like to hear from what others have to say.
    It isn't dumb. There is nothing wrong with originality. Which in truth most battlers lack in the competitive department. I've seen entire 'Uber and OU' teams being swept by NU and UU Pokemon. It isn't about what Pokemon you pick or how strong it is, no, it's about how you use the said Pokemon. :I
    Last edited by Soluna; 15th April 2011 at 8:22 AM.

A noob is a person who as of yet does not understand something because they have not been taught or didn't find out from somewhere the way they play is wrong in many peoples eyes. I think a noob just needs that little nudge onto the straight and true to become great, anyone who lacks knowlege can easily learn, anyone who lacks patience to learn can easily be beaten over and over till they come to there senses. We all could of easily become noobs, so be nice and help teach them not flame them.

Spoiler:- Credits:
    [Img]http://i52.*******.com/1znacxw.gif[/img]

Performing poorly in competitive battles.

Quote Originally Posted by ASB View Post
    Oh, and if you use nothing but attacking moves, that qualifies too.
    Choice sets say hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxEpicsxX View Post
    Everything's possible, but that doesn't make it likely.
    ^What PAD needs to learn

Spoiler:- Misc in a nutshell:

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast