Thread: How to avoid spoilers?

Default How to avoid spoilers?

Just out of curiosity, is there anyone out there who in the lead up to the release of a new game, who stays clear of the spoilers?

If so, how do you do it? How does it effect your play-through of the game compared to when you have spoiled the game?

I ask because when XY was released, I remember knowing practically all of the pokemon because of leaks and reveals, and its something I did when BW came out too. However, when DP came out, I wasn't an avid internet user, so I had found out some pokemon like the starters, cover legendaries and the odd pokemon like Munchlax, Bonsly, and Lucario because of the movies. And to this day, those games are my favourites partly because of how refreshing it felt discovering pokemon in game.
    I'd love to do it but I visit the Serebii main page as part of my morning routine and like to keep up to date on the forums, the only way to stop spoiling I see would to not visit pokemon websites, so curious, does anyone avoid the spoilers, and if you do, how?

Top 3 favourite pokemon

It depends on how you define spoilers. If it's only story and specific game details, that's fairly easy avoid, even if you continue to check the main Serebii website, as they put all story details in spoiler warnings. If you want to avoid literally everything, that's really impossible unless you avoid Pokemon and Nintendo-related news websites all together. You're definitely going to have to avoid forums like these as well, as there will be spoilers galore.

Join Ash and Pikachu as they travel to the Tenno Region, a region known for its advanced space program. Along their way towards the Tenno League and becoming a Pokémon Master they'll encounter new Pokémon, new enemies, such as the evil Team Planetary, and, of course, a certain trio of Team Rocket members, along with friends new and old.
    Check it out!

Also, for news, reviews, info on my custom games Luna, Terra, and Sol Versions, the basis of Cosmic Quest, a Special Episode, and features like a Tenno Region Pokédex listing all of my custom Pokémon, complete with pictures, visit the Pokémon Cosmic Quest Official Website.

Yeah sorry forgot to state that, yes story I avoid naturally but, the pokemon I always end up spoiling. That's true, especially when you consider the avatars that get added and people's signatures.

Top 3 favourite pokemon

It's harsh, but this was what I did for XY:

1. No social media, youtube, or reddit.
    2. Stay out of contact with all of your friends who like Pokemon (That happened to me in BW)
    3. Don't watch the anime leading up to the games, or the movies. (Games are okay)
    4. Do something else to pass the time (writing, music, etc.)
    Team Rowlet!

All you can really do is cut right down on internet use.

Avoid any social media that might give things away so like unfollow/unsubscribe any Pokemon related accounts, even the facebook news bar might trip you up. Don't check pokemon dedicated websites until after launch, its probably best to avoid all gaming websites actually. Unless its dedicated to something other than Nintendo news. And let your friends know that you want to know as little as possible so they exclude you from any of their posts about the new games.

But yeah if the internet is a part of your daily life like it is for most people these days, its going to be borderline impossible to avoid spoilers because of the frenzy that surrounds new information.
    The Original Team.
    Circa 1999.

Unfortunately, avoiding spoilers within the Pokemon fandom is practically impossible unless you choose to temporarily take a break from the fandom. Because of the way things work, whenever something new is released or revealed, it will be everywhere in an instant. I don't really have any more advice than the above posters. If you really intend to avoid spoilers, stay away from Pokemon forums and social media. You can keep looking at main sites if they keep spoilers within spoiler tags (like Serebii does) but if not, avoid them at all costs.

I tried to stay unspoiled during the time between the Japanese and European release dates for D/P but ended up failing because it was nearly impossible, everything about the games was literally everywhere on the forums. I managed to stay mostly unspoiled for X/Y though because I wasn't using the forums much during the few days before the release and since I didn't have to wait 10 months before I could play the games myself, it was easier.
    A new future is about to begin

The past and the present will not be forgotten

Unfortunately when it comes to spoilers, the only real way to avoid them it to stay off the Internet. If you have a friend who is a huge gossip like I do (although most of what he tells me turns out to be true), then probably stay away from them until it releases.

At the very least, you should stay away from message boards. Even this site isn't exempt from the occasional spoiler issues that crop up when you have forums.

Although I will say that spoiling XY was probably one of the best things that's happened to me in regard to the games, because that was how I first found out about Mega Evolutions. If I hadn't been given a heads-up about them there, I would have probably rage-quit the game series as soon as I saw the mechanics for it in-game. But learning about it in advance gave me time to let it sink in, and it wasn't as bad when I saw it in-game. It's still a stupid concept and I'm still against it (much like I hated the fact that they tried to incorporate civilian powers in the anime), but it's easier to accept things like that if you know about them ahead of time. It kind of gives you time to put yourself in that 'Nintendo' mindframe, where you ignore all flaws and bad design choices.

Now if only I knew about the godawful twist in Star Ocean 3 before I played that one (I still can't believe people actually LIKE the storyline in that game)...
    Last edited by SBaby; 7th June 2016 at 2:08 AM.
    If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

Basically as other users said avoid social media like the plague and avoid going to forum discussions where there is good chance of Sun/Moon discussions getting brought up (anime, anything relating to Gen 7 and competitive discussion as the release date draws near). It can be difficult on the Serebii forums though as some users can put spoilers in their signatures so if worse come to worse take a leave from Serebii until Sun/Moon are released.

For me spoilers are anything relating to the plot of the story and possibly post-game details so I am somewhat safe regarding spoilers.
    Last edited by Tsukuyomi56; 7th June 2016 at 2:36 AM.

Credit to Brutaka for the awesome banner!
    I have claimed Drapion and Fiora from Xenoblade Chronicles.

You can turn off avatars and signatures in your settings here on the forums. But as other people have said if you want to be sure the pokémon aren't spoiled for you your best bet is to stay off the internet entirely closer to release since spoilers can pop up anywhere unexpectedly.
    Last edited by Endless; 7th June 2016 at 2:51 AM.

No internet, just read books and have a normal life :3

Thanks to American--Pi for this awesome banner and userbar!

Extreme way: destroy your computer, go into the woods and live like a hermit for the next 5 months.

less extreme way: stay off of any gaming sites,serebbi,or other social media. Read books,draw,play other games,go out side.

Taking a break from Serebii and Pokemon till Sun and Moon come out. I do not want to be spoiled about new Pokemon.

Funny enough, i completely get what you mean. For BW and XY i spoiled myself too when i wish i hadn't which is why for Sun and Moon i'm going in 80% blind.

I'm gonna avoid as many spoilers as possible (i don't mind a few such as beginning Pokemon etc.) by avoiding Pokemon websites (luckily Serebii tends to use a Spoiler Tab) and other game related sites. I plan to be careful with friend group chats too so not as to have something spoiled.

How does it affect my playthrough?

With Sapphire and Diamond, i was a kid and didn't really use the internet let alone follow Pokemon information so went in blind for them and find i had a much better time discovering things as i went along. It sounds weird but i also felt like the Pokemon i caught i had a better attachment too. And even today, looking back at these teams in my Alpha Sapphire box (a few members got lost along the way) i find i'm more attached to them than i am the teams i planned because planning my teams beforehand, kind of takes the fun away for me. Sure i have a cool looking team but it just doesn't feel natural. I'd rather go in blind, learn things along the way and the Pokemon i catch, be members that i don't know anything about.

It's kind of hard to explain, but while i had great times raising teams in White and Y, spoiling them and planning teams was just... not the level of mystery and fun i wanted. I've finally learnt this lesson now and it's the main reason i'm not spoiling Sun and Moon. The starters and region was enough even though the wait will kill me.

probably not the best person to give advice on this, cuz i tend to get surrounded by fans of all types, so i get "spoiled" by things even i'm not into
    i suppose if you try ignoring stuff on your wall or feed, well... that often does the trick for me

then again, we're talking about a game you'd rather be hyped up on, right? wouldn't it be more fun to follow the hype train instead?