Page 452 of 478 FirstFirst ... 352402442448449450451452453454455456462 ... LastLast
Results 11,276 to 11,300 of 11938

Thread: The Official Pokemon Discussion Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    Your friend is wrong since Squirtle's Japanese name means pond turtle and is based on a sea turtle.
    so even the Japanese name doesn't make sense

<-- Click to go to an amazing guild, Edge of Neo Destruction are always recruiting!

Friend Code.. 1220-6368-0567!

I have never seen a squirrel in Squirtle. I just always thought it was a weird-looking turtle in the game with beady eyes and nubs for hands. On my brothers' games, anyway, as I had Yellow version, so it was more like it was on the anime for me. Meanwhile, Charmander has looked like a Yoshi with a flaming tail to me.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Regality View Post
    so even the Japanese name doesn't make sense
    Except squirtle doesn't even have fins like a sea turtle, so it probably is based on a pond turtle.

I'm pretty sure "squirtle" sounding like "squirrel" is coincidental. Especially because it also has the word "squirt" in its name, which makes much more sense because it actually squirts with water gun. I've seen a few pictures of Japanese art depicting turtles similar to wartortle. Bulbapedia doesn't seem to remember anything about them, but I believe the original pokémon origin thread on serebii had a few links to some of such pictures.

If you ask me, this makes as much sense as assuming pikachu must be based on a pika because of its name. Actually, scratch that, it's less of a stretch, because at least someone imaginative can picture squirtle's tail as being bushy if they squint. You have to do some serious mental strains to pigeonhole a pointy-eared electric pokémon into the category of a rabbit with Mickey Mouse ears. I really think people take pokémons' names way too much into account when it comes to determining what they're based on. And people can get way too imaginative with meanings too. If there's a meaning that makes sense, there's no need to assume there's some extra double meaning which was thrown in if it barely makes sense in the first place.
    All fear the vampiric ghost skeletal uber mr. mime caterpie!

Thank you Megadio for the awesome banner.

Quote Originally Posted by octoboy View Post
    Except squirtle doesn't even have fins like a sea turtle, so it probably is based on a pond turtle.

I'm pretty sure "squirtle" sounding like "squirrel" is coincidental. Especially because it also has the word "squirt" in its name, which makes much more sense because it actually squirts with water gun. I've seen a few pictures of Japanese art depicting turtles similar to wartortle. Bulbapedia doesn't seem to remember anything about them, but I believe the original pokémon origin thread on serebii had a few links to some of such pictures.

If you ask me, this makes as much sense as assuming pikachu must be based on a pika because of its name. Actually, scratch that, it's less of a stretch, because at least someone imaginative can picture squirtle's tail as being bushy if they squint. You have to do some serious mental strains to pigeonhole a pointy-eared electric pokémon into the category of a rabbit with Mickey Mouse ears. I really think people take pokémons' names way too much into account when it comes to determining what they're based on. And people can get way too imaginative with meanings too. If there's a meaning that makes sense, there's no need to assume there's some extra double meaning which was thrown in if it barely makes sense in the first place.
    This makes a lot of sense. Like you said, "squir" is much more likely to be "squirt", and like you said names can't be taken that seriously. After all, Pidove is a pigeon rather than a dove, and Psyduck, despite it's name actually highly resembles a platypus (it doesn't have wings, it has arms and claws, and it's beak is the same as a platypus beak rather than a duck beak). Migthyena, whilst it has hyena in it's name, looks more like a wolf.

The last point is, if based on a squirrel, I'd expect to see this in another translation of Squirtle's name, however in Japanese it's name is "Zenigame" which translates roughly (when broken down) to "zeni" which means money and "Kame" which means Turtle (according to this website at least http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Squirtle).

Wartortle, I have no idea what it's based on (other than a turtle) but it's more likely to be called a squirrel. However, there's still not really anything to back this up, so I wouldn't consider it one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan
    During your experience at SPPf, there is unfortunatley no protection or clause that states "Mods shall not be bitchy."
    That's right... I AM KIRA

3DS Friend code: 3351 4126 2678
    PM me your code if you add mine. Mainly up for Mario Kart 7 but don't mind other suggested games if I have them!

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    The last point is, if based on a squirrel, I'd expect to see this in another translation of Squirtle's name, however in Japanese it's name is "Zenigame" which translates roughly (when broken down) to "zeni" which means money and "Kame" which means Turtle (according to this website at least http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Squirtle).
    It's still "pond turtle", but "money turtle" can be taken into context if one believes Squirtle are uncommon. The creators were very aware of this, as were the writers to the point in the Birth of Mewtwo CD Drama, when they're naming off Pokémon they could clone for profit, they're making puns. As quoted here:

Dr. Fuji: If we make a copy of Zenigame's genes, we've got two Zenigame.

Sakaki (Giovanni): Making money.

Dr. Fuji: We make a copy of Fushigidane (Bulbasaur, or "mystery seed"), it'll increase to two...

Sakaki: Even a seedless watermelon will grow a flower or two.

Dr. Fuji: If we make a copy with Pikachu's genes, more and more, it's mouse mathematics. (Mice multiply quickly.)

Sakaki: It's a sparkling, sparkling treasure box.
    Helps that the Pokémon's Japanese names tend to have literal meanings when roughly translated, which we do the same here. The names are intentional. It's pretty much the whole Mr. Mime's gender discussion all over again, now that I think about it...
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

No I've never thought about this and don't agree with it. Why would squirrels have shells?

I agree with Unoin. Why in the world would a squirrel have a shell. I think it makes it hard to climb trees.
    The world needs more weird people who know how things work and who love to figure it all out.
    Being different is not a crime, and people who tell you it is are just jealous that you've picked up a skill they never in their wildest dreams could acquire.
    You can code. They cannot. That is pretty dang cool.
    ~Zed Shaw

As Pokemons are monsters, it's not weird for me that Squirtle is part squirrel.

Well it has a squirrel tail! It's entirely possible, you never know with GF.
    My Y Team:

I also used to think it came from squirrel based on the tale. This was back when Red and Blue had just came out of course. Now I am pretty sure that it just comes from Squirt and Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    As Pokemons are monsters, it's not weird for me that Squirtle is part squirrel.
    This. Yes, it is a turtle, but it does have a squirrel-like tail. No biggie, it is a turtle nevertheless.
    What is Life's Greatest Illusion?
    Innocence, my brother...

It is said its tail resembles that of a squirrel's tail... but I think it looks more like a wave pattern...
    I mean I dunno if they picked the squirrel's tail b/c of the squirr~ word and the resemblance to the tail...
    Wartotle's tail somewhat confirms it but I dunno...
    X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037

Wee... Poison slide at my gym...

Pokegyms Fairy Leader

Credit to Astral Shadow for the userbar and Kida-Ookami for the badge.

I've heard the claim that Squirtle is squirrel+turtle, however It makes more sense if it's squirt+turtle in my opinion.
    I'll put something here...eventually

Quote Originally Posted by Honeyichigo View Post
    Could be both "squirt" and "squirrel". The Pokemon franchise is well known to be full of incredibly punny names.
    Yes. The pokemon franchise run out of names (at least by now I bet!) so they make some random name that well... isnt that "creative" and then other names are WOA....

There is also a meme for this squirtle thing.

Cover the tail: Turtle
    Cover the body: Squirel
    MIND=BLOWN!

In that meme it mentions the tail being a squirel tail then again it also means squirt like u said Honeyichigo

Squir is probably from squirrel and not squirt. The clue is Squirtle's tail. If it wasn't its tail, we would say that it is Squirt.

So, yes, Squirtle is a mix of a turtle with a squirrel, being said that it is more turtle than a squirrel. The only squirrel feature it has is its tail.
    Last edited by Pogaymon; 4th June 2013 at 2:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    Squir is probably from squirrel and not squirt. The clue is Squirtle's tail. If it wasn't its tail, we would say that it is Squirt.
    That's highly unlikely. "Squirt" makes sense and fits in with "Blast" in Blastoise's name. Squirtle does have a tail, but it isn't a bushy one like that of a real life squirrel, so it isn't a sure thing that this was inspired by a squirrel. "Squir" COULD be both "squirt" and "squirrel" but the games, series and no other translations of the Pokemon's name even mention a squirrel at all, nor does Squirtle show any Squirrel like characteristics (e.g. living in trees).

So it seems a huge stretch to me to even class Squirtle as a squirrel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan
    During your experience at SPPf, there is unfortunatley no protection or clause that states "Mods shall not be bitchy."
    That's right... I AM KIRA

3DS Friend code: 3351 4126 2678
    PM me your code if you add mine. Mainly up for Mario Kart 7 but don't mind other suggested games if I have them!

GPD rule #2, no thread about a single Pokemon, please. This thread is just about Squirtle, which means it's about a single Pokemon.

I'll merge this thread with the Pokemon Discussion thread.

My shinies. Just click the links~

~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~
    ~Shiny Banner 3~

My shinies are not for trade or cloning.
    Shinies are not listed in order, for example the last shiny on the banner is not always the latest shiny I've obtained.
    Banner 1 made by Light Venusaur, thanks ^_^

10.jpg

Am I the only one who cannot comprehend the fantastic nature of this pokemon?

Kalos Team: Delphox, Florges, Aegislash, Heliolisk, Hawlucha, Avalugg
    Latest Shiny: Helioptile

Fire Safari: Ponyta, Pyroar, Braixen - 1478-3803-9332
    I have claimed #671, Florges

*credit to Equal-To-Heaven for the clock

Quote Originally Posted by Cup of Tea View Post
    10.jpg

Am I the only one who cannot comprehend the fantastic nature of this pokemon?
    I've never seen anyone fall in love with a Pokémon within such a short amount of time

A New World Order: Birth of a Prophecy

Credit to Brutaka

Quote Originally Posted by flamebeam View Post
    I've never seen anyone fall in love with a Pokémon within such a short amount of time
    It is so cute doe D': All I know is it is going to be on my team forever.

Kalos Team: Delphox, Florges, Aegislash, Heliolisk, Hawlucha, Avalugg
    Latest Shiny: Helioptile

Fire Safari: Ponyta, Pyroar, Braixen - 1478-3803-9332
    I have claimed #671, Florges

*credit to Equal-To-Heaven for the clock

Default One thing I don't get.

We're all familiar with Magikarp, which many believe is the worst poemon ever. What ever happened to feebas? Feebas is pretty much an uglier version of magikarp...

Feebas can learn TMs, magikarp can't. (I think)

<-- Click to go to an amazing guild, Edge of Neo Destruction are always recruiting!

Friend Code.. 1220-6368-0567!

Despite both families sharing similar stas, I think Feebas theme is more about an ugly Pokemon that becomes beatiful if given a chance.
    It's basicly a Magikarp for Pokemon Contests.

I think it is because Feebas can learn TM's so it is a little bit useful.
    (template from Jerkfighter)

Magikarp is more... I guess classic?

Feebas is more well-known for the fact that it's difficult to find, anyway. Training a Magikarp in-game is more widely known to be difficult, since it's found earlier and unlike Feebas, people are actually willing to do it.

Page 452 of 478 FirstFirst ... 352402442448449450451452453454455456462 ... LastLast