Page 461 of 477 FirstFirst ... 361411451457458459460461462463464465471 ... LastLast
Results 11,501 to 11,525 of 11916

Thread: The Official Pokemon Discussion Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by KyuremFreeze View Post
    i agree with dirkac. it obviouly resembles anubis.
    I just thought you should know that Anubis isn't Aztec. Anubis is the god of death who is featured in Ancient Egyptian mythology. I believe the Ancient Egyptians pre-dated the Aztecs by centuries. If I remember my history facts I learnt back in school, the Aztec's were around from about 1300-1500AD. To put it into perspective, Henry VIII was born and died in the 1500s. The Ancient Egyptians were around in the BC era, like, they predate Jesus, lol xD.

Sigilyph's overall design is likely based of the Nazca Lines, which are located in the Nazca Desert, Peru.

It's colours may have been inspired by ancient South/Latin American tribes such as the Aztecs, Mayans or even by Aboriginal cultures located in Australia and New Zealand.

EDIT: Oh okay, nevermind. I missed the part with dirkac talking about Umbreon resembling Anubis. I thought you meant Sigilyph. Sorry! Well I'll leave my original post up anyway for a little bit of general knowledge to anyboy who cares to read :P.
    Last edited by cagedWINGS; 3rd October 2013 at 2:48 AM.
    Proud Poison-type Club member!

"Despair to the creeping horror of Poison-type Pokémon!"

LOOKING FOR A DITTO FRIEND SAFARI. PLEASE PM ME IF YOU HAVE ONE, THANKS!!

Quote Originally Posted by cagedWINGS View Post
    Sigilyph has nothing to do with Anubis. Anubis isn't Aztec, it's Egyptian, lol.

His overall design is likely based of the Nazca Lines, which are located in the Nazca Desert, Peru.

Sigilyph's colours may have been inspired by ancient South/Latin American tribes such as the Aztecs or Mayans.
    Hooray for learning!

Hibiki wants hugs
        Spoiler:- My claims:

Sigilyph has nothing to do with Anubis. Anubis isn't Aztec, it's Egyptian, lol.

His overall design is likely based of the Nazca Lines, which are located in the Nazca Desert, Peru.

Sigilyph's colours may have been inspired by ancient South/Latin American tribes such as the Aztecs or Mayans.
    I believe he was responding to Umbreon's origins.

... Okay, I got confused between aztec and nazca.

It all gets confusing once games mention nazca lines and since evrything else in the game is false one would believe nazca is too despite previous knowledge already proving it's exitsance.

Aye he was. I added an edited my post lol.

I have the unfortunate habit of sometimes skim-reading stuff and missing key bits of info dirkac lol. So I missed that part of your post and thought he'd got confused; thinking Anubis was a part of Aztec mythology. It should really teach me to read properly in future!

I agree it is always a little odd when the Pokemon games mention real life places. I found it even more odd and interesting that Sigilyph might be a reference to Nazca Lines as there are conspiracy theories that link the lines to aliens and stuff. Now I don't necessarily believe that, but I find it interesting nonetheless.

I'll shut up about Sigilyph now, as this is meant to be an Umbreon thread xD. I think Umbreon does have some Ancient Egyptian inspiration for sure, but I wouldn't say Anubis. Black cats are featured heavily so I think that's where Umbreon comes from. That completely goes against my idea that all Eevee-volutions are based on foxes/dogs. I think that crazy evolution line is just a giant melting pot of ideas and inspirations.

I thought all Eeveelutions were a mixture of cat and dog?

Dox sounds so accurate now though! *___*

But really, if Umbreon is an animal, it's a fox.

Umbreon is a pokemon, my dear fellow.
    3DS FC: 5043 1366 9389

Spoiler:- pokemon joke of the week:

Default Stage increase?????

Hi,

in the game , for Example, if a pokemon use Defense Curl, the defense stage goes up by 1.

If that pokemon's defense is 100 , does it become 150 ?

Not exactly. If you increase your defense by one stage, you will effectively take 2/3 the damage you normally would from a physical hit. A defensive stat of 150 versus 100 will do the same thing, with a couple subtle yet very important differences.

Many damage mitigating effects in battle stack multiplicatively and protect against damage just as a higher defense stat would, but the mathematical intricacies are different. There are many ways to mitigate incoming damage. Examples of these include enemy offensive stat decreases, friendly stat increases, shields such as reflect and light screen, the enemy being burned for physical attacks, as well as other mitigating factors such as the pokemon ability marvel scale, etc. Critical hits will also pierce defense curl, effectively hitting you as if you hadn't stat boosted, whereas a higher defense stat will aid in mitigating critical hit damage. This may seem relatively trivial, but trust me I wish my calm mind stacking Latias wouldn't get destroyed by a crit with several calm minds up...

This means that boosting once with defense curl and then using a move such as growl that decreases your enemies attack will make you ultimately take less damage than using two defense curls, since these effects stack multiplicatively and are separate effects.

Generally, boosting one stage will make you take 2/3 the damage you normally would take. Boosting twice will make you take 1/2. Bulbapedia has all of the stat boost modifier fractions listed in their stat boosting page.
    I'm always up for a wifi battle. My friend code is 0691 7322 0877 and my skype name is toxiktraktor. Skype is the best way to reach me.

I always thought it was a cat lol

Check out MonsterTrainer.com, a new browser-based monster training MMO that takes place in real (virtual) cities around the world and functions in real-time (so weather, disasters, events and construction occur in real-time!).

Fund this project on Indiegogo!

Quote Originally Posted by I Like Pie! View Post
    Dragons scream the word 'cool' and fans like 'cool' stuff, so yeah. :3
    Girl/boy please.

Everyone knows that Ice types are cooler.

Default Question

with these leaks coming out, do you think that everyone on the forum are becoming a lot more whiny lately?
    Oh Macarena, Macarena, Macarena. Oh Macarena, Macarena, Macarena. Oh Macarena, Macarena, Macarena. Oh I HATE the Macarena!

Black FC: 0389-8081-4375
    White FC: 3009-7392-4895
    Black 2 FC: 2323-3950-3357
    White 2 FC: 2967-6401-6065
    3DS FC: 0173-1521-1168 (Witha FS Of Rock containing Pupitar, Dweeble and Barbaracle)

Quote Originally Posted by BLADEDGE View Post
    with these leaks coming out, do you think that everyone on the forum are becoming a lot more whiny lately?
    Everyone has different tastes and expectation of what they want out off Pokémon X and Y and as result are disappointed.

It would have happen regardless if the game got leaked or not.

"Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

@Blaze Boy: Cyclone. Jokaaaa!!

Sorry, couldn't resist after seeing your signature!

Back onto the subject.

I think that lots of people wear the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia when it comes to Pokemon. They hold Gen1 on this pedestal and hate everything that's released nowerdays.

I love all Pokemon, I even appreciate the designs that aren't the best either. My impressions of the leaked/confirmed X&Y Pokemon so far is very positive. The only one I'm not crazy about is Fennekin's final evolution that was leaked on the Internet recently. That doesn't concern me really as I was always going to pick Chespin anyway!

Grass starters 4lyf.

Some people have higher standards than others so that's why some people complain.
    FC: 1779-0800-2195
    My friend safari: Noibat, Gabite, Druddigon

I shouldn't have gone to pokememes...
    ------------------------------
    ------------------------------
    I'm a giraffe. I belong in the wide plains of Africa. With my people, in sunshine.
    I will shine. Hopefully I don't get noscoped. Pece.

@Blaze Boy: Cyclone. Jokaaaa!!

Sorry, couldn't resist after seeing your signature!

Back onto the subject.

I think that lots of people wear the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia when it comes to Pokemon. They hold Gen1 on this pedestal and hate everything that's released nowerdays.

I love all Pokemon, I even appreciate the designs that aren't the best either. My impressions of the leaked/confirmed X&Y Pokemon so far is very positive. The only one I'm not crazy about is Fennekin's final evolution that was leaked on the Internet recently. That doesn't concern me really as I was always going to pick Chespin anyway!

Grass starters 4lyf.
    Personally, I think that Chespin's final evo is SO ugly and weird-looking. I like Fennekin's and Froakie's final evos. It's really a shame that I don't like Chespin's evolutions because I think Chespin is adorable, and I was considering picking him as my starter. I'll definitely be choosing Fennekin now, though. I'm so excited about Fire/Psychic! Unfortunately, because I also want Charmander AND I'm getting X AND I love MegaCharizard X, I'm going to have two Fire-types. I'll probably end up dumping Delphox in favor of Charizard X. Decisions, decisions!

3DS FC: 5129-1087-8128 Friend Safari: Phanpy, Dugtrio, Diggersby
    IGN: Varanus ~I have officially claimed Chompy!~

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.
    -------

I think fennekin is adoreable. Because I think she is cool.

random question. will there be any more corocoro issues coming out before x and y?

Quote Originally Posted by jaym0ua View Post
    random question. will there be any more corocoro issues coming out before x and y?
    No, I think the next issue of CoroCoro will be released on the 15th.. But it often leaks after the 10th.
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

MikeSharpeWriter.com -Project Elfish Jarate

3DS - 3007 - 8991 - 4413 (VM/PM me to add you)

I don't know what to do!!! I'm tempted to look at the leaked Pokémon, but then again I don't want to be spoiled! We're down to the last three days and I don't think i'll survive!!! OMG I CAN'T WAIT I WANT X/Y NOW!!!!!!

Anyway, Grovyle has always been my favourite Pokémon. Ever since I first started playing Emerald and my Treecko evolved I've always loved Grovyle. Then I say him in Mystery Dungeon 2. At first it seemed he was the bad guy, but as the the story continued it was revealed he was actually the one trying to save time! Later on he sacrifices himself to save the protagonists. That scene made me love him even more! Yeah, so that's why Grovyle is my fav Pokémon. XD

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSceptile View Post
    I don't know what to do!!! I'm tempted to look at the leaked Pokémon, but then again I don't want to be spoiled! We're down to the last three days and I don't think i'll survive!!! OMG I CAN'T WAIT I WANT X/Y NOW!!!!!!
    DON'T DO IT!!! I'm tempted to look at them, too, but I'm not going to! XY is going to be a brand new experience for me and I'm not going to let anyone ruin it. I've been avoiding the XY Discussion Subforum for weeks because people are talking about the leaked Pokemon there, and I will have none of it. I'm VERY grateful to Serebii for not putting the leaked Pokemon up as avatars (they're avoiding it for legal reasons, but I'm still grateful), so I don't have to see them. Once XY is released, though, they'll be up there, and I don't know how I'm going to avoid them.

Which brings me to a question, I guess: is there a way to turn off seeing people's avatars? I don't want to see the new XY Pokemon on Saturday. I want to see them in-game first.

3DS FC: 5129-1087-8128 Friend Safari: Phanpy, Dugtrio, Diggersby
    IGN: Varanus ~I have officially claimed Chompy!~

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by 1.21GWs View Post
    Critical hits will also pierce defense curl, effectively hitting you as if you hadn't stat boosted, whereas a higher defense stat will aid in mitigating critical hit damage. This may seem relatively trivial, but trust me I wish my calm mind stacking Latias wouldn't get destroyed by a crit with several calm minds up...
    I didn't know that. Does it work the other way too? That is, if you lower the opponent pokemon's attack and it hits you with a critical hit, is the damage counted as though you hadn't lowered the stats?
    I'm looking for a Serperior named Serpedera. It'll be at lvl 98 or above. If you happen to have such a pokemon please PM me.

Pretendeavors (Goals I have that don't really mean anything) Updated 10-04-13

Voltorb Flip, Level 8 Victories: 16
    White Geonet: All countries completed!!! (130), 505 Trade Locations (of 513)
    The Last Ten: Locations
    Arunachel Pradesh, India * Dadra & Nager Hall, India * Formosa, Argentina ()
    Henan, China * Himachal Pradesh, India * Lakshadweep, India
    Lubusz, Poland * Madhya Pradesh, India * Shaanxi, China () * Sikkim, India

Pokeathlon Pokedex: 493/493- COMPLETED!!! (01-05-13)

No spoilers for me. Oh, except Chespin's final evo. I guess I'll look at the other's evos too. And I might as well check the megas.
    My thought process in a nutshell.

Credit to cloneydew2000 for the sprites.

What do you people think about this so called "New Game" that may change Pikachu and affect his popularity ?
    3DS Friend Code: 3196-3511-1551 Friend Safari:

Omega Ruby Team:

Alpha Saphire Team:

Quote Originally Posted by Dingo282 View Post
    No spoilers for me. Oh, except Chespin's final evo. I guess I'll look at the other's evos too. And I might as well check the megas.
    My thought process in a nutshell.
    I don't even want to see Chespin 3. I want to be surprised when my Quilladin evolves! That's the magic of a worldwide release, there's no early Japanese to spoil the whole game for us. Instead we have the Spanish ignoring GF's laws. (or whoever it is leaking that stuff)

Page 461 of 477 FirstFirst ... 361411451457458459460461462463464465471 ... LastLast