Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magic Guard

Default Magic Guard

This is like one of my favorite abilities.

Magic Guard prevents all damage by ANYTHING other than a direct attack. Therefore, weather damage, status effects, item damage, and other damage from moves like Magma Storm and Whirlpool will be negated.

Awesome. Especially with item combos.

The reason I started this thread is because of a great item combo-able with Magic Guard: Life Orb. It increases the damage done by moves by 30%. So a move that would have dealt 100 HP would deal 130 HP. That's a handy bonus, but it comes at a cost. 10% of your max HP is drained every turn.

Except that Magic Guard prevents that damage.

In Gen IV, this combo was nearly impossible. Why? Because the only Pokemon with Magic Guard was Clefable. With it's lackluster stats, the only real damage it could have pulled off was a Return + Life Orb, and that was off a low Attack base. Horrible.

Gen V brings in new light. Three more Pokemon can now have the ability. Let's list them:

Reuniclus: Great combo. Much better ability than Overcoat. With a 125 Sp. Attack base, it can utilize this item well. However, with it's low speed, its more of a tank than an attacker. Sigh...

Sigilyph: My personal favorite. While having only meh Sp. Attack (103), It's speed is quite high (97), also combined with great staying power in Def and Sp. Def. It's Flying Psychic, getting STAB from both Psychic and Air Slash. And it can learn Ice Beam. Great moves!

But for those of you who want more,

Alakazam has this Ability via PDW.

Sp. Attack base: 135
    Speed base: 120
    Sp. Defense base: 85

Need I say more?

Therefore,

Alakazam #Magic Guard @Life Orb, 252 EV in Sp. Attack, Speed, 4 in Sp. Def
    -Psychic
    -Shadow Ball
    -Energy Ball
    -Focus Blast/Psyshock

The last move is for either type coverage or if facing a Sp.Def tank like Blissey.

How's this build? Any more suggestions?

Thanks in Advance!
    Yes, I version track, manga read, and TCG at the same time. =]

Do YOU believe in the power of Kurt's pokeballs? I DO!!!!! I will prove this to the world by catching Mewtwo with a Love Ball.... copy this in your signature if you will try to do the same!

Yea, magic guard might be considered and overpowered ability. Alakazam and Reuniclus are the only one's you will really see in OU though. It also makes them good choices for sandstorm or hail team since they take no damage. It truly makes Alakazam a beast who should be feared. He already has base 135 in speed and special attack. The magic guard + Life Orb combo just makes him more feared.

New Bible Verse of the Week: Zephaniah 2:3
    Seek the Lord, all you humble of the earth who have carried out His ordinances; seek righteousness, seek humility. Perhaps you will be hidden in the day of the Lord’s anger.

What? He still dies to Priority moves and Pursuit as always. Seeing as how Alakazam isn't very defensive, it isn't much of an ability to behold. My personal opinion, Clefable is the best user of this ability. It's basically a slightly frailer Blissey with an awesome ability that stops SR and weather from hurting it. I've been able to get good use out of her in OU actually.
    Last.fm | Steam ID
    Nostalgia

Hidden Power Fire is needed for Alakazam due to Scizor, who is every Psychic and Dark type's worst nightmare. But yeah, Magic Coat is right on top with Wonder Guard and Simple.

I would rather use a Focus Sash on Zam since he will usually get to attack twice that way, and Magic Guard will prevent hazards from ruining the Sash. Attacking twice with no boost before getting KO'd is better than attacking once with a LO boost then getting KO'd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Makaveli
    The user above is me, a major sleazy wh0re!!

Magic Gaurd really only sees true usefulness on Reuniclus. Alakazam makes use of it, but not by much.

Former Champion of SerebiiForums.com

[img]http://i56.*******.com/2yy1js9.jpg[/img]

http://www.youtube.com/user/KingsOfPokemon
    Subscribe for the highest level competitive matches!

The funnest Magic Guard set I've ever used is Sigilyph's Cosmic Power/Stored Power set. It's tricky to set up, but it usually has amazing results. Still, the best user of this ability is definitely Reuniclus, mainly because of his bulk and Recover.

Quote Originally Posted by lunar22 View Post
    Magic Gaurd really only sees true usefulness on Reuniclus. Alakazam makes use of it, but not by much.
    Well, it's actually good for alakazam. It used to not be able to swap in on much, but now it can come in on Stallers and SubSeeders. It actually makes alakazam a good stall breaker. Give it the life orb/focus sash, and it can sweep after forcing a switch.
    Alakazam #Magic Guard @Life Orb, 252 EV in Sp. Attack, Speed, 4 in Sp. Def
    -Psychic
    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast
    -Psyshock
    Changes in bold.
    Sigilyph: My personal favorite. While having only meh Sp. Attack (103), It's speed is quite high (97), also combined with great staying power in Def and Sp. Def. It's Flying Psychic, getting STAB from both Psychic and Air Slash. And it can learn Ice Beam. Great moves!
    It could use more speed, and is walled by steel types.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Contrary to popular belief, Magic Guard DOES NOT negate the full paralysis caused by the status condition. I've seen multiple sources that say it does, but it definitely does not. Sorry to disappoint.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but (in 4th gen, at least), Magic Guard does not nullify entry hazard damage. I've never tested it in-game, but on simulators, damage is still taken by Clefable by Spikes and Stealth Rock. Was this fixed in 5th gen, or do entry hazards still do damage?

I would argue that Reuniclus and Clefable are the best users of Magic guard. Tricking Flame Orbs with Clef was a true pleasure in 4th gen, back when Encore was broken on it. Now that it doesn'tlast as long, Clef loses its usefulness slightly as an Orb tricker, but it's still quite nice. But for sure, bulkier users of the ability are by far the most useful.

~I have claimed Clefable~

Quote Originally Posted by Zach74 View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, Magic Guard DOES NOT negate the full paralysis caused by the status condition. I've seen multiple sources that say it does, but it definitely does not. Sorry to disappoint.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but (in 4th gen, at least), Magic Guard does not nullify entry hazard damage. I've never tested it in-game, but on simulators, damage is still taken by Clefable by Spikes and Stealth Rock. Was this fixed in 5th gen, or do entry hazards still do damage?

I would argue that Reuniclus and Clefable are the best users of Magic guard. Tricking Flame Orbs with Clef was a true pleasure in 4th gen, back when Encore was broken on it. Now that it doesn'tlast as long, Clef loses its usefulness slightly as an Orb tricker, but it's still quite nice. But for sure, bulkier users of the ability are by far the most useful.
    You are correct, it doesn't negate paralysis. Which is why you'll see Clefable run things like Toxic Orb and let the toxic kick in. Won't take damage from toxic, but can't be put to sleep or paralyzed from then on. Then you can trick it on something.

I'm pretty sure Magic Guard blocked all entry hazard damage in 4th Gen. You are only damaged by attacks and that's it.

Reuniclus is one of my new favorites because of Magic Guard, Life Orb, big SpA, and can stay in after using Trick Room and go to work himself without having to switch out. Great little cytoplasmic sack of green Jell-o.
    My traveling team:

Svetovid Ptarmigan Plesios Tusk Bandit Juicer

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -C.S. Lewis

My clefable never took damage from entry hazards. After all, they aren't damaging attacks.

Those simulators must be inaccurate, because it worked fine on shoddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pichu47 View Post
    Yea, magic guard might be considered and overpowered ability. Alakazam and Reuniclus are the only one's you will really see in OU though. It also makes them good choices for sandstorm or hail team since they take no damage. It truly makes Alakazam a beast who should be feared. He already has base 135 in speed and special attack. The magic guard + Life Orb combo just makes him more feared.
    I run Reuniculus as a toed/Skarm counter. I'll give the LO a go to test it out.

Turns out it works surprisingly well

Have you cosindered Calm Mind on Alakazam with a Focus Sash? It seems good...

Saying that Clefable+Life Orb is "Horrible" is a bit harsh. Remember that Double-Edge has no recoil with Magic Guard. So that's a 120*1.5 (STAB)*1.3 (LO)= 234 BP attack. That's nothing to laugh at, especially considering Clefable's large amount of coverage moves (Meteor Mash, Fire Blast, etc.) and access to Belly Drum.

Quote Originally Posted by lentils View Post
    Saying that Clefable+Life Orb is "Horrible" is a bit harsh. Remember that Double-Edge has no recoil with Magic Guard. So that's a 120*1.5 (STAB)*1.3 (LO)= 234 BP attack. That's nothing to laugh at, especially considering Clefable's large amount of coverage moves (Meteor Mash, Fire Blast, etc.) and access to Belly Drum.
    Cefable is better defensively, though. Give it cosmic power, and it makes a great weather staller.

A set you should put in for Reuniculus is the following:

Reuniculus@Life Orb
    Modest, Magic Guard
    252 HP/252 SpA/4 SpD
    Energy Ball/Psychic/Thunder/Shadow Ball/Focus Blast

Basically pick 4 of those any moves. Energy Ball has Reuniculus laugh at Bulky Waters. Psychic as STAB for Conculdurr and Meinfoo. Thunder slams Skarm. Shadow Ball beats the hell out of Gengar, Chandelure, and Jellicent. Focus Blast murders Scrafty, T-Tar, and Bisharp. Focus Blast is also an option for Heatran, seeing as he carries nothing but Air Balloon. In my set I left out Psychic as I don't run into many Fightings.

Clefable gets Belly Drum and is a good reciever, it was easily viable even in Gen 4.
    Also, Toxic Orb + Facade > Life Orb + Return and the chance to fall asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Alleviate View Post
    Clefable gets Belly Drum and is a good reciever, it was easily viable even in Gen 4.
    Also, Toxic Orb + Facade > Life Orb + Return and the chance to fall asleep.
    I never thought of Facade clefables. It's kind of obvious once you think about it though...It's just that facade is over looked on everything but swellow.

Anyway, in the 4th gen, most teams have at least one pokemon Clefable could get +6 cosmic powers on. Has anyone tried this in the 5th gen?

Reuniclus is simply made for this ability. Sigilyph and Alakazam are...lacking in defenses for it, IMO. Sigilyph is almost there, but lacks the HP. But Reuniclus gets the highly superior HP, and can even boost those defenses with Calm mind and Acid armor, though Acid armor seems unlikely on a Reuniclus set. However; enter Magic Guard.
    - Known on Smogon as PlatinumMage!! -

John 3:16-For God so loved the world that He gave His only son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.
    If you're a Christian and you love Jesus, add this verse to your sig. Started by jesusfreak94.
    Put this in your sig if you think Hoenn deserves remakes!started by Flare64

Quote Originally Posted by ArcanineShrine014029 View Post
    Reuniclus is simply made for this ability. Sigilyph and Alakazam are...lacking in defenses for it, IMO. Sigilyph is almost there, but lacks the HP. But Reuniclus gets the highly superior HP, and can even boost those defenses with Calm mind and Acid armor, though Acid armor seems unlikely on a Reuniclus set. However; enter Magic Guard.
    You don't need defenses to take advantage of it. Ignoring SR it great by itself. Plus, alakazam can stop walls with Guard Split.

magic guard is one of my favorite abilities to put in a sand storm party. Give a little type change. For weather it's little the better version of clound nine. Also no hazard damage. Love to see magic guard charizard or volcarona. LOL
    Moxie and magic guard are to great abilities from 5th gen

My OU Party
    Pokemon Trainer threw a Haxball
    I AM THE PROUD OWNER OF A 3DS
    Ioliolk-user bar Zekerom-pokeball Gladeshadow-team pose TheDarkDragons-fusion Pokegirlforever- Walking pokemon
    Big thanks to all of you

Is there anything that magic guard takes care of that magic bounce wouldn't?
    "I now understand the basics of battle, but have much yet left to learn of combat. While I can hold my own, I cannot call myself anything more than a trainer"

Don't forget, Sigilyph can learn Skill Swap by breeding with a male Xatu that got it from TM in Gen4, allowing it to Skill Swap Magic Guard to another Pokémon who could benefit a lot from it.

Sigilyph bad?

He is a beast. I run this set on my team and he can sweep like no other.

Sigilyph
    Modest
    Flame Orb
    252spe/252spa/4hp
    Magic Guard
    Moves:
    Stored Power
    Roost
    Cosmic power
    Psycho shift

You just Cosmic power and psycho shift until you are strong enough to sweep, roosting occasionally roosting if you get low HP.
    Currently not trading or battling until my router is replaced.

Current shinies: Venasaur, Meganium, Cyndiquil, Totadile, Treeko, Torchic, Mudkip, Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup, Ditto, Metagross, Umbreon, Darkrai, Cloyster, Squirtle. Just needs me some Gen 5 Starters and Charizard. (Most is not for trade unless I get a good offer.)

Looking for: Shiny Absol, Shiny Ekans, 1-4 gen fossils, pokerus, Rayquaza, Darkrai and Shaymin.

Can give: Spiritomb, Victini, UT Shaymin, Eevee, Event Celebi, Pokerus, Zorua, both 5th gen fossils and all starters.

^That is a fun Sigilyph set, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by RifleAvenger View Post
    Is there anything that magic guard takes care of that magic bounce wouldn't?
    Magic Bounce only reflects status moves and entry hazards back. It doesn't make you immune to them like Magic Guard. You are still hurt by entry hazards and bad weather, Life Orb, and (iirc) you can still take status and stat drops from hax. Magic Guard makes you immune to all this. As a matter of fact, while Toxic Spikes can still hurt a Magic Bounce Pokemon switching in, Magic Guard users love 'em. Poison essentially gives them an immunity to all other status, very useful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast