Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #17

Default Community POTW #17

Reno's busy writing the last one so here's the next one

This week we'll be doing Alakazam, the classic Psychic Pokémon

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/065.shtml

As it now has the Magic Guard ability, as well as its previous two, it does have a few more uses.

Go nuts.

Oh, lovely. A nice Special Sweeper, and one of the first pure Psychic-types that actually used to be considered strong, even though Psychic is generally regarded as inferior nowadays outside of Reuniclus.

EDIT:

Synchronize: Okay, but meh. You could hold a flame orb and use this to burn opponents without wasting a turn. (You wouldn't have to worry about your attack being lowered unless you were using a physical Alakazam [XD].)
    Inner Focus: Congrats, you no longer have to worry about Fake Out or Jirachi... Yay?
    DW: Magic Guard: Some consider it the best ability in the game. I'm not sure if it quite deserves that title (Prankster is pretty nasty), but it is definitely a top contender. You take no damage from weather, entry hazards, confusion, poison, burns, partial-trapping moves, or even Leech Seed. Yeah, it's that awesome. Use it.

EXPELLIARMUS! @ Choice Specs/Scarf
    Magic Guard
    4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spd
    -Psyshock/Psychic
    -Focus Blast
    -Charge Beam/Shadow Ball/Energy Ball/Grass Knot/Trick
    -Charge Beam/Shadow Ball/Energy Ball/Grass Knot/Trick
    Nature: Modest/Timid

This set aims to RK/sweep very effectively by using Zam's Amazing special sweeping stats to their fullest potential and widening type coverage as much as possible. Psyshock and Psychic are great STAB moves, and Psyshock lets you hit physically bulky pokemon as well a specially-oriented ones. Focus Blast gives great coverage and is quite powerful (though unrelieable). Charge Beam combines setup and offense, so it is a great move on a choice set. However, ground pokemon will force you to switch if you are locked in to this, and Gliscor will love the free Swords Dance or U-turn to scout the switch. Shadow Ball covers Psychic- and Ghost-types. Energy Ball and Grass Knot both deal with bulky waters as well as ground-types. The Nature really depends on what your team needs and what item you are using. Even without Timid, you'll still be outspeeding every mon under base 105, but you will be in a speed tie with all of the base 105s out there. Modest with Specs lets you hit an insane 608 attack, which is, to say the least, pretty darn good. Trick locks an opponent into a move and gets rid of your choice item so you can use other moves freely.

THERE IS NO SPOON @ Life Orb
    Magic Guard
    4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    -Psyshock/Psychic
    -Focus Blast
    -Charge Beam/Shadow Ball/Energy Ball
    -Calm Mind
    Nature: Timid

Capitalizes on best Stats. Scares off fighting types and CMs on the switch. See above description for descriptions of moves. Timid is used because it prevents a speed tie with base 105s and Calm Mind will be boosting your SAtk anyway. Lack of Nasty Plot hurts, but Zam can live without it. Final moveslot is filled with coverage moves that help take down Pringles, as (s)he'd love to switch in to one of your Focus Blasts.

THE TROLL SETS
        Spoiler:
    Last edited by ASB; 27th April 2011 at 12:21 AM.

NOTICE: Above White FC is no longer valid. FC is now 0562-2001-5885.

Awesome pic by xPrincessAmanda.

John 3:36, John 3:16, Romans 6:23, Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8, John 14:6, Ephesians 2:8-9, Acts 3:19
    Join the Serebii Christian Alliance - http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=368080

Here is a basic attacking set for Alakazam,

Ability: Magic Guard
    Hold Item: Life Orb

Nature: Modest/Timid
    EVs: 16 Def/ 240 SAtk/ 252 Spd

- Calm Mind
    - Psyshock
    - Focus Blast
    - Grass Knot

"Calm Mind" to increase its already good S.Atk to higher levels (along with its S.Def). "Psyshock" for physical coverage (also a much better "Blissey" counter move than "Focus Blast" if you ask me since it does physical damage to it and has good accuracy). "Focus Blast" for type coverage. "Grass Knot" for heavier foes.

Other Option (for attacking):

- Charge Beam (if not in a mood to use "Calm Mind")
    - Shadow Ball (for opposing Pyschic and Ghost types)
    - Energy Ball (in place of "Grass Knot")
    - Hidden Power: Bug, Ice, Ground
    Last edited by Lucario At Service; 24th April 2011 at 12:56 PM.

Alakazam. A beast in the wrong hands.

AlaSweep
    Alakazam @ Life Orb
    Magic Guard / Synchronize / Inner Focus
    4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature / Modest Nature
    -Psyshock / Psychic
    -Focus Blast
    -Grass Knot
    -Taunt / ThunderWave / Shadow Ball

With Magic Guard, the Life Orb recoil has been negated, making it deadly for the already fast Alakazam. Synchronize is a nice alternative, but Inner Focus belongs in the trash seeing how useless it is nowadays. Timid Nature makes you reeeeeally fast, but Modest Nature gives you more killage. Really, 135 Base SAtk stat and 120 Base Speed? Insane. Psyshock or Psychic as a powerful STAB move. Psyshock murders Blissey but Psychic has more power. Focus Blast to kill Steel Types, and Grass Knot to murder Ground Types or Water Types. Taunt works in a way, while Thunder Wave paralyzes fast foes, or DDers. Shadow Ball kills other Psychic Types called Reuniclus.

Dual Screens
    Alakazam @ (Input item of choice)
    Magic Guard / Synchronize / Inner Focus
    252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
    Bold Nature / Careful Nature
    -Light Screen
    -Reflect
    -Recover
    -Psychic / Psyshock

Any item works for this set. Simple, throw up both screens. Recover off any damage taken. Psychic or shock to prevent you from being useless after taunt.

Countering Alakazam
    1)Spiritomb / Sableye -They resist all of Alakazam's move outside of Grass Knot, but heck, who care about that?
    2)Weavile - PURSUIT!!!!
    3)Bronzong - Takes some damage from Focus Blast, but murders it with GyroBall.
    4)Blissey - Only for Alakazams with psychic. The rest is self explantory.
    5)Reuniclus - But really, which Alakazam doesn't run Shadow Ball?
    6)Priority Moves - Arcanine plain murders it with Extreme Speed.

Really, with that insane speed of his, counters are running low.

Teammates
    1)Any normal/Steel types. Steel Types can safely switch into any super effective move. Cobalion can switch into a Dark Type move and get a Justified boost.
    Last edited by MudkipsAreAwesome; 24th April 2011 at 1:01 PM.

<<< Yea I kick butt. Care to battle me? JOIN FIRST.

Credits to Nakashima.

Sky Reaper Clan. Join us now.

Hmmm, lots of mind messing potential here...

Anti-Lead-Kazam.
    Nature: Speed up... Timid I think, but don't quote me on that...
    Item: Toxic Orb/Flame Orb
    Ability: Synchronise/ Magic coat
    Moves:
    Light Screen
    Reflect
    Recover/ Fling
    Focus Blast/ Psyshock/ Psychic

Seems simple enough. The toxic orb poisons you or the flame orb burns you (good for physical leads), you then either synchronisethe status over or fling the item. Just as a side note only use fling if you have magic coat and only use recover if you have synchronise.
    Light screen and refllect are there to reduce any damage done to the team and then focus blast, psyshock or psychic to stop you being taunt bait and to cause damage, simples
    Invest EV's in speed, then sp attk then defence OR sp defence, dependant on your preference
    Last edited by Jeggyg; 29th April 2011 at 10:00 AM. Reason: I had to edit it cus i realised that it needed tweaking...
    Mmmmm Steel types...

It seems to me, you lived your life like a Litwick in a Whirlwind, never knowing who to Klink to when the Drizzle set in, and i Sudowoodo like to know you, when I was just an Elekid , but the Litwick burned out long before the legend ever did...

Proud Member of "The Triumvirate"

Credit to Gladeshadow

Quite honestly the funniest thing that i have ever heard:
    Originally Posted by Zibdas
    I thought butter was a type until I was 6. I could've sworn there's a butter type...
    DFTBA

Traits

Synchronize: When Alakazam is inflicted with a status condition, it gets put on the opponent. This is notably useful against Sleep inducers and Glarers, but is a great trait in general. It just kind of pales in comparison to the new Dream World ability.

Inner Focus: Prevents finching. There's like three situations where this is useful. King's Rock Cloyster, Para-Flinchers and Fake Out. Otherwise, this is useless. And if you're on the receiving end of a King's Rock Cloyster, you're dead anyway, so that's really two situations. Alakazam can't take physical hits.

Magic Guard: Honestly, this ability works better on Reuniclus and Sigilyph, but Alakazam becomes a little more durable with it. Basically, anything that isn't an attack doesn't inflict damage. Poison, Burn, Weather, Entry Hazards, don't do a dang thing. This lets Alakazam get free switch ins to Toxic, and make itself immune to receiving other status effects in the process.

Classic Sweeper
    Magic Guard, Life Orb / Choice Specs
    Modest / Timid, 252 SpAtk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    - Psychic / Psyshock
    - Focus Blast
    - Shadow Ball
    - Grass Knot / Hidden Power [Ground]

Psychic has more power than Psyshock, but Psyshock gives Alakazam leeway to rip apart Virizion and Blissey. Focus Blast gives you coverage against Normal, Dark, Rock, Ice and Steel Types. Shadow Ball takes down other Psychic types and Ghosts. Grass Knot is better suited to higher tier player, which Alakazam still works very well in, catching 80~120 Base Power a good deal of the time, but Hidden Power [Ground] murders Heatran. Usually I'd say Grass Knot, since the mass coverage is better than just one counter, and you still have Focus Blast.

Tricky Light
    Magic Guard, Light Clay
    Timid, 252 Speed, 252 Def, 4 HP
    - Psychic / Psyshock
    - Trick
    - Light Screen
    - Reflect

Now for the gimmick sets. This set's main strategy is to set up screens, then ruin your opponent by dumping a useless item onto them (Unless you're in a screener war). Psychic and Psyshock make you less of a blatant Taunt target.

Power Shock
    Magic Guard, Light Clay / Leftovers
    Hasty, 252 SpAtk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    - Psyshock
    - Guard Split
    - Light Screen / Reflect / Toxic / Recover
    - Light Screen / Reflect / Toxic / Recover

Another gimmick set, but this one is actually pretty practical. Think about it, Alakazam has trashy Base 45 Defense, and Guard Split makes you and your opponent have the average Defense between the two of you. Follow that Defense reduction with Psyshock, and you have a nice source of damage. Follow that up with whatever stalling methods you want, since you can make huge set ups on tanks like the Regi trio (Does anyone really use Gigas...).

Partners

Just because Alakazam has Focus Blast, that doesn't mean it can bank on it. It has 70 Accuracy, which is risky. You should have something with an alternative Fighting move by its side to take down Steel and Dark types. You can try bulky partners in attempt to draw the aggro away from Alakazam, but most players know just how frail this guy is, and will just go for the kill a majority of the time.

Countering Alakazam

55 Base HP, 45 Base Defense... yeah, this is easy. Pursuit carriers, Priority attacks (Besides Mach Punch), Sucker Punch ideally, things that are faster than it, Ninjask primarily. Absol has a pretty nice time against Alakazam, Umbreon is bulky enough to take a hit and fire off a lethal Payback, Weavile just wrecks it, Spiritomb is immune to Psychic and Fighting attacks, and Sableye can counter it too once it can get Prankster and people can actually use it.
    This is a signature that doesn't eat up an absurd amount of space.

Hmm. ****ying to post new ideas]

Alakazam @ Life Orb
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    -Substitute
    -Disable
    -Psyshock
    -Focus Blast

Substitute + Disable = Stop opponent from Pursuiting you. Psyshock is STAB, Focus Blast for Coverage.
    Psyshock > Psychic because this set is meant to handle things like Blissey (Disable Softboiled, Substitute protects against status) and tanks like Conkeldurr (Substitute, disable Payback) who usually run SDef EVs.

Well, that's how not to get owned by Pursuit. The only way (Protect might work. But then...)
    Last edited by SomeoneIGuess; 25th April 2011 at 11:42 AM.
    Ignore, thanks.

Don't forget trick Alakazam!

Alakazam @ Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    -Trick
    -Psychic/Psyshock
    -Focus Blast
    -Grass Knot/Shadow Ball/Hp Ice

Yeah, not really putting much use to Magic Guard, but the ability to get rid of choice is good to me.

I suppose Alakazam gets some advantages over common guys like Ferrothorn and Conkeldurr. Choiced Shadow/Energy ball might even be able to stop Jellicent. But still, paper defense same, old counters. Is expect it to be UU or even NU.

However, Abra may still have potential in little cup.

3DS: 5413 1009 1553

Hmm I would say to TOTALLY change up Alakazam's set of the whole "Special Sweeper" antics... I'd make this set.

Alaka-A-La-Naturale
    Synchronize, Choice Specs/Life Orb
    Hasty, 252 SpAtk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    - Psychic
    - Signal Beam
    - Energy Ball
    - Recover/Focus Blast

This set can only be applied to a gen IV Alakazam coming into Black/White. Alakazam already has great speed and Sp. Atk so here we go. Psychic for STAB, taking on the poison and fighting types. Signal Beam takes down the dark types as well as sweep up some grass (pure grass preferably), and psychic types. Energy Ball is the one to go to for the type that has many Pokemon under it's category... Water! Oh and don't forget the Rock, and ground types. Recover will allow a longer use for Alakazam as this Pokemon can take on many types. If choosing to go with this recovery move, beware of Steel types. Otherwise, use Focus Blast to take those steel types to scraps of metal.
    Pokemon Journals
    Kanto Region:complete
    Johto Region:in progress

@Jeggyg: Toxic Orb and Flame Orb don't activate Synchronize...

Everybody is gonna post its sweeping set, so I'm posting some lulzy ones.

Anti-Lead
    Alakazam @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 Spe; some HP, Def, and SpD
    - Encore
    - Calm Mind / Charge Beam
    - Focus Blast
    - Shadow Ball

Magic Guard saves the Sash from Sandstorm / Hail. The strategy is to Encore an opponent who's tryin to lay hazard. Set up with CM / Charge Beam on the switch and sweeps. You may wanna use unresisted Fighting & Ghost combo in Focus Blast & Shadow Ball in cost of losing STAB but well, Focus Blast hits Blissey & Fighters equally harder anyway ._.

Partner: Alakazam cannot use Encore on the first turn because of its high Speed. Sturdy Forretress with Volt Change is vital here. =))

Alakazam should not be a wall, it is far too fragile.
    Alakazam@Life Orb
    WhatEverAbilityYouWantApartFromTheCrappyOneOrAKAMa gicGuard
    Timid
    252 SpA, 4 SpD, 252 Spe
    -Psychic/Psycho Shock
    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast
    -Substitute/Hidden Power[Ice/Fire]/Calm Mind/Charge Beam
    All-out offense. Psychic is STAB. Psycho Shock does less damage, but can hit Blissey's. Shadow Ball hits Ghosts and has nice coverage with Psychic, Focus Blast for Steels, Substitute is when you switch into a Toxicraok, they try to Sucker Punch, but you Sub, they could also switch. HP Ice is if you bother to bring it up to OU, so the Dragons don't DD. HP Fire for the levitating Steels. Calm Mind is to boost you Special Attack, and Special Defense, congratulations, Alakazam can now live Luvdisc's Surf!!! Charge beam is an alternative, so you do damage while boosting.

Abra is one of the most feared sweeper in Little Cup because of that base 105 Sp. Atk.

Bulky Pokémon that can take incoming Ghost/Bug/Dark type moves should be good in Rotation Battles.
    As a counter, this may sound daft, but Toxicroak can lure Alakazam over, and when Alakazam tries to Psychic you to death, Sucker Punch will pwn it.

Yay, Alakazam. Although its a little awkward what with my signature stating I'm most like an Alakazam now. Oh well.

No catchy name for this one. @ Choice Band/Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
    Timid/Hasty
    -Recover
    -Trick
    -Psyshock/Psychic
    -Shadow Ball/Focus Blast
    4 HP / 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed

I'd call this set confusing. Use it as a lead or a Sweep-Stopper. Trick your item to, lets say, a lead and make them keep using Stealth Rock, Spikes, stuff like that. Then, take care of him, and take the item with you. Be cautious who you switch in, though. Psyshock and Psychic Provide STAB, while Psychic is more powerful, Psyshock hurts special walls like Blissey more. Shadow Ball and Focus Blast are the other two choices.

I over anilyze, I think...

Mwahaha! R4GE Zibdas! I have Claimed Probopass!

I support MC. But with Eviolite. Viva la Eviolite!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAwesomeOne View Post
    Bulky Pokémon that can take incoming Ghost/Bug/Dark type moves should be good in Rotation Battles.
    As a counter, this may sound daft, but Toxicroak can lure Alakazam over, and when Alakazam tries to Psychic you to death, Sucker Punch will pwn it.
    A counter is something that can switch in safely on any move, and either take it out or force it out. Toxicroak cannot safely switch in on Psychic. He's not a counter, he's a check, as is just about anything with priority not called Vacuum Wave.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxEpicsxX View Post
    Everything's possible, but that doesn't make it likely.
    ^What PAD needs to learn

Spoiler:- Misc in a nutshell:

Counters
    Despite Alazakam's amazing Special Attack and Speed, it is actually very easy to take down. Dark types like Weavile, Tyranitar, Krookodile, and Zoroark are all great counters, just watch out for Focus Blast. Weavile is probably the best counter as it outspeeds Alazakam and can KO back with a Night Slash or Pursuit, if it retreats. Zoroark could be disguised as a ghost type of some sort, and not take much damage from Shadow Ball, and KO back with Night Daze. Bisharp easily counters back with massive attack and STAB Sucker Punch, as well as Honchkrow. Fast Pokemon also dominate Alakazam since it's so fragile. Swellow, Aerodactyl, Accelgor, or anything that's Choice Scarfed and strong. Blissey walls any Special move it can carry, except Psyshock. Special walls like Dusknoir, Umbreon, bulky Latias, Virizion, Jellicent, and Cresselia work fine, just watch out for Shadow Ball / Focus Blast respectively. (Unless you're Virizion, watch out for Psyshock/Psychic). Bulky waters like Slowking, Milotic, Vaporeon, Mantine, Suicune, and Swampert work well, just watch for Grass Knot. Alakazam is a great Pokemon, but once you get past it's offense, it's pretty much dead.

Quote Originally Posted by streetlightdsb View Post
    A counter is something that can switch in safely on any move, and either take it out or force it out. Toxicroak cannot safely switch in on Psychic. He's not a counter, he's a check, as is just about anything with priority not called Vacuum Wave.
    Well apart from the first bit, and the second bit, and the last bit, I was right.

If Alakazam is on a sweep however, you can switch in a Toxicroak and Sucker Punch when your other Pokémon faint.
    I guess a real counter is Dusknoir, he walls Alakazam, and has Shadow Ball/Sneak/Punch.
    I guess Pursuiting Pokémon are the best counters, since Alakazam doesn't want to stay in for them, considering that they are mainly Dark types.

Still no Eelektross? He's epic, god dammit.

Well, so this isn't considered spamming, I think Alakazam is in need of a Careful Timid nature to get his Speed up. There. I contributed.

^I was hoping for Luvdisc.
    This is spam
    I further your opinion by saying it should have max Speed, in order to outrun other Alakazam's and fast Pokémon.

Quote Originally Posted by SGG View Post
    Still no Eelektross? He's epic, god dammit.
    While I completely agree, that shouldn't keep you from putting up some sets. I am not going to put any sets up simply because all of the ones I had in mind have already been said.

As for my actual contribution, Alakazam should never go for the gimmick. It doesn't have any potential for it. Use ONLY special attack and speed. NOTHING ELSE.
    I claim Buizel.

Yeah. Alakazam has only a fiew viable sets. My previous set doesn't make much sense, either. He MIGHT be able to stall, but even then, he'll still want to go on a sweep... Eh.

^Oh by the way, thats my actual opinion about him, not an entry for the POTW. Eh.

Mwahaha! R4GE Zibdas! I have Claimed Probopass!

I support MC. But with Eviolite. Viva la Eviolite!

So with a focus and special attack and speed does Alakazam still hold a spot in the OU tier, despite the common priority moves, or has it been moved down a few notches?

Credit to Pixel3r
    White Version FC: 4813-6266-0372

Alakazam is UU due to his poor Defenses.

Would humour me if someone came up with a defensive set for Alakazam though.

If you are saying would we laugh, then yes, yes we would.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast