Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #17

So we expect aly to still be UU? good from him, he will shine as the anti-lead

I have claimed Giratina

Of course, for the pre-evo corner, we can look at Kadabra. Holding the Eviolite, his Def is not 30 and his SpDef is passable. Kadabra still has 120 SpAtk and 105 Speed, so he can sweep fairly effectively. Just be weary of his still pretty low Def and even lower HP.

I wanted to find a move for Alakazam so it could fit on Hail/Sandstorm, but he doesn't, which is a bummer, so here we are.

Specskazam
    Alakazam@Choice Specs
    Modest/Timid (I would most likely run Modest)
    Magic Guard
    252 HP/252 Sp. Atk/4 HP
    * Psyshock/Psychic (I prefer Psyshock as fighting types on average have better Sp. def then Def, but either is fine)
    * Focus Blast
    * Shadow Ball
    * Energy Ball/Grass Knot/Charge Beam/

BTW, why isn't the Toxicroak POW up yet?
    BLACK TEAM!
    (I have claimed Honchkrow, the Don)
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/xfnpc5.png[/IMG][IMG]http://i56.*******.com/21l4h6t.png[/IMG]
    R.I.P. Shiny Dusknoir and Shiny Ratticate
        Spoiler:- Credit:

Quote Originally Posted by sticktendo View Post
    Of course, for the pre-evo corner, we can look at Kadabra. Holding the Eviolite, his Def is not 30 and his SpDef is passable. Kadabra still has 120 SpAtk and 105 Speed, so he can sweep fairly effectively. Just be weary of his still pretty low Def and even lower HP.
    In retrospect, this is worse than posting a Defensive Alakazam.

I don't have that much to contribute here. Most viable sets have already been mentioned.

Alakazam, a dangerous special sweeper, but also incredibly fragile. It is that Mewtwo is uber, otherwise Alakazam would be useless, as Mewtwo has pretty much every move Alakazam has, including a lot wider movepool including Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, Psycho Break, and Aura Sphere, as well as much higher speed, bulk, and special attack.

A giant inferiority complex to Mewtwo aside, Alakazam is fragile and dangerous. Magic Guard is a neat new addition that can give some uses (although most foes will simply use direct offence to take out Alakazam instead of waiting for Toxic or weather), but at least it's better than the alternatives that are even more useless.

A good counter I haven't seen mentioned before here is Metagross. Metagross does not fear Psychic and with its huge physical defence might as well be immune to Psyshock, it has enough bulk to take Shadow ball or Focus Blast, also resists grass moves, and unless Alakazam has a large EV investment in defence and HP, Metagross 1HKO's Alakazam with Meteor Mash even without choice band or life orb, and it can also get that same 1HKO if it catches Alakazam on the switch with Pursuit, again without needing Choice Band or Life Orb. I'm not sure though if Metagross is in the same tier now as Alakazam, as I'm seeing mentions of Alakazam being in UU now above (but I guess it's alright if I'm also seeing Lati twins, Weavile, and Blissey being mentioned as counters)
    Last edited by Sceptile Leaf Blade; 24th April 2011 at 10:26 PM.
    Master balls are the cheapest thing ever invented. It's more fun catching everything with balls that can fail. 'caught Latios in the wild without master ball ftw'

Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Haze View Post
    Would humour me if someone came up with a defensive set for Alakazam though.
    Looks like someone never saw the second post.

NOTICE: Above White FC is no longer valid. FC is now 0562-2001-5885.

Awesome pic by xPrincessAmanda.

John 3:36, John 3:16, Romans 6:23, Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8, John 14:6, Ephesians 2:8-9, Acts 3:19
    Join the Serebii Christian Alliance - http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=368080

Alakazam

Life Orb/ Choice Set

Psychic
    Shadow Ball
    Energy Ball
    Focus Blast

Evs: 252spd 252Satk 4 HP Nature: Timid/Modest
    Item: Life Orb/ Choice Specs/ Choice Scarf Ability: Synchronize

Hit hard and fast... that's about it. You may be wondering about the ability. Think about it... are they really going to poison you... no, probably not. In fact they're probably going to paralyze (or at least that's what I would do). Its a personal choice, but it works better.

Please don't hit me!

Trick
    Encore
    Psychic
    Charge Beam

Item: Iron Ball Evs: 252 Spd 252 Satk 4 HP
    Ability: Magic Guard Nature: Modest

Trick Iron Ball. Use Encore. Attack w/ Psychic, and Charge beam to boost Special Attack.

Signature=Articuno
    Last edited by Dragonite's; 24th April 2011 at 11:07 PM.

Default Meh boy Zammy

Alakazam the Powerful, Frail magician. Magic Guard is a great ability. Too bad none of his evos are out in the dream world. Yet... Anyways, I do not like choice sets for this guy because if someone pulls out a ghost on you while locked in a psychic attack, well you lost a turn... Life Orb is better because it takes advantage of Magic Guard and doesn't Recoil you. Now heres my weekly Set:

And now for my first act, I'm gonna use this Life Orb to destroy you and not get hurt by it's effect...
    -Psychic/Psyshock
    -Focus Blast
    -Shadow Ball
    -Charge Beam
    252 spe. def/ 252 speed/ 4 hp
    Life Orb
    Timid/Modest

A general Sweeping set with the help of Life orb without recoil. Psychic has powerful stab that well, hurts. Psychock is a lil weaker but for those guys who finna special wall Zammy here.I like psychic btter because I usually have a physical sweeper ready. Focus Blast, great coverage. Try to use it with as least amount because of acurracy. Shadow ballfor those ghosts that wanna show up and stop psychic attacks with stab. Charge beam gives you (70% of the time) +1 to your special attacks while doing good damage with Zam's massive Special attack. Boosts that powerful special attack when the opponent doest have all his health. EVs are what usual sweepers have. I like Timid better because you have that charge beam if you need a boost but modest is for those who want more power. A great pokemon indeed, Just needs a little effort.
    Last edited by Shinepoke; 24th April 2011 at 11:06 PM.
    It's Brain Never Gets a Chance to Grow? Doesn't matter with it's Powerful Skull.

#409 Rampardos {}--
    OT: Akram-- ID: 21461
    Fossilized in Nacrene City
    Nature: Jolly~Ability: Mold Breaker
    Hidden Power: Dark 70
    Ivs: 31/31/31/23/31/31
    Evs: 4/252/0/0/0/252

Magic Guard Sweeper @Life Orb/Flame Orb/Focus Sash
    Timid
    EVs: 252 SpAtk 252 Spd 4 HP
    Psychoshock
    Shadow Ball
    Focus Blast
    Grass Knot

Life Orb has no recoil with Magic Guard, which is pretty awesome, while giving the beefy 30% power gain. Focus Sash can be used, as Magic Guard protects wheather and entry hazard damage. Flame Orb would be kinda gimmicky, as it sacrifices guaranteed survival or power gain, but it doesn't hurt Alakazam, while also keeping it safe from status conditions (most notably paralysis). Psychoshock hurts special walls more than Psychic, which is cool. Shadow Ball murders ghosts. Grass Knot kills Rhyperior and other heavy things that are weak to it. Focus Blast is deadly on resisting Steels.

Calm Mind Sweeper@Life Orb
    Magic Guard
    Timid
    252 Spd 156 Hp 100 SpAtk
    Psychoshock
    Focus Blast
    Grass Knot
    Calm Mind

Life Orb doesn't hurt it after Magic Guard, which is pretty awesome. Max speed allows it to Calm Mind as quickly as possible before setting up a sweeping attack. Max SpAtk isn't necissary after Life Orb and Calm Mind boosts, so I put some EVs in HP to help. Leftovers can be used, but Life Orb works better. Psychoshock again beats lowly defensive Pokemon, while Focus Blast and Grass Knot (or possibly Energy Ball) gives coverage.

SWEEP AWAY PEOPLES!!!!! kazam MUST sweep, he does nothing else

credit to Huspoelcredit to Kewzu from cj's request shop

Lol, these set's are probably either the worst or the best in the world!

Double/Triple Battle Supporter!
    Alakazam@Focus Sash
    Trait: Magic Guard
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252HP/4satk/252spd
    Moves:
    -Skill Swap
    -Reflect
    -Light Screen
    -Psychic

The trick is to partner up with a pokemon with a bad ability(Slaking, Regigigas, Archeops, ect.) and Skill Swap them the good ability! If you can stay alive somehow, Dual Screening supports team mates and Psychic to do something for damage.

The Retarded Defensive Set
    Alakazam@Leftovers
    Trait: Magic Guard
    Nature: Bold/Calm
    EVs: 252Hp/252Def/4spd or 4Hp/252Def/252spd
    Moves:
    -Barrier
    -Calm Mind
    -Recover
    -Psychic/Energy Ball/Focus Blast/Hidden Power(Ice)/Psyshock

Okay, this is not a serious set that I would never recommend. Barrier Gives you some decent defense while calm mind gives you decent special defense and some more special attack. Recover and Leftovers for long lasting Psycho Nerd(lol). For Your attack, It's your choice!

The first set is a maybe while the second one is just for the LOLs.

Credit to FrostStorm for the banner; YOU ARE MAJESTIC FROSTSTORM

3DS FC: 4940 6396 1803

"Because I am the man... who made a typo in his own name while registering..."

Um.. I'm not sure if thats right, Shinepoke... But if it is, it makes him a big competator. I was gonna put up a Stall set earlier but I had to go, so I'll just post it now.

Stalling is just a mindset. @ Light Clay/Life Orb
    Magic Guard
    Hasty/Timid
    252 Speed, 252 Special Attack & 4 HP
    -Substitute/Psychic/Psyshock
    -Encore
    -Disable
    -Calm Mind/Reflect/Light Screen/Thunder Wave/Toxic

Well, I'm not sure if this works. Substitute for added protection, Psychic or Psyshock to cause a little damage. Encore then Disable to force them to switch, which is where you get a choice of Status move. Light Clay if you go with Light Screen or Reflect, Or go with Life Orb, with that immunity thanks to Magic Guard.

Oh yeah, and Toxicroak's POTW is up.
    Last edited by WeatherEffectRain; 25th April 2011 at 12:55 AM.

Mwahaha! R4GE Zibdas! I have Claimed Probopass!

I support MC. But with Eviolite. Viva la Eviolite!

Gimmickazam @ focus sash
    EV's: 252 Sp.A/252 Spd/ 4 Sp.D
    Ability: Synchronise
    - Counter
    - Psyshock
    - Calm Mind
    - Recover/ Any special attack

This is not at all a serious set. Focus Sash/Counter takes a lot of people by surprise, and you should use calm mind the first turn to get that boost. Recover if at all possible however since the moves I chose suck you may want another attack for better coverage. This set is completely screwed over by T-tar and his obnoxious sand stream and any other special dark attackers. Hopefully this set will work and you will get a nice lol. And no I didn't bother reading the thread so I have no idea if this was already posted.

Well seeing as pretty much every special sweeper set was suggested already....

Alakazizzle, The Fly like a White Guy Pokemon
    Leftovers/Focus Sash
    Timid, 252 HP 252 Speed/4 Sp Attack
    Synchronize/Magic Bounce
    Toxic
    Substitute
    Recover/Calm Mind/Encore
    Psyshock/Psychic

Pretty much a gimmick set, playing off of Alakazam's insane speed.
    Take pity on me, for I am but a n00b in the presence of the l33t!

Well all the sets seem to have been posted so I only have one thing to contribute.

As a partner Zoroark could use his illusion to lure Alakazams counter(s) out and then switch to a counter-counter to eliminate them. IMO all out special sets with life orb are the best way to go as other (I say other but there's only one and that's calm mind) would put Alakazam in a dangerous position.
    The most Superior Snivy. Left, good time here though. I loved this place.

Quote Originally Posted by K1B2 View Post
    So with a focus and special attack and speed does Alakazam still hold a spot in the OU tier, despite the common priority moves, or has it been moved down a few notches?
    Alakazam hasn't been OU since Gen2.

Zammy

Alakazam @ Life Orb/Leftovers/Flame Orb/Toxic Orb
    Ability: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 Sp. Attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 Sp. Defense or 4 HP
    Nature: Timid(+Speed, -Attack)
    Moves:
    -Psychic/Psyshock
    -Charge Beam/Shadow Ball/Focus Blast
    -Energy Ball/Grass Knot/Hidden Power Ice
    -Recover/Reflect/ Light Screen

Really, Alakazam is a cool guy. Great Speed, amazing Special attack, but he's absolutely hindered by his low Defenses and HP. Really, all he's good for is suicide or hit and run. Psychic or Psyshock... not much explanation needed. Charge Beam is good for the Special Attack boost, though Shadow Ball or Focus Blast are good choices for obvious reasons. Energy Ball and Grass Knot are basically choices of what you think you'll encounter, though you could run a BoltBeam like set with HP Ice and Charge Beam. Recover is for when you know you can get it it, which is rare, though Light Screen and Reflect can make Zammy here last longer.

You'll only want to run Timid instead of Modest nature, because otherwise he'll be too slow. This drop in power can be helped by Life Orb, though. Magic Guard allows Zammy to take on walls, though if you really want to mess with some opponents, you can Trick a Flame/Toxic Orb onto them. Alakazam can be fun to use, so long as you keep it out of reach of Pokemon like Conkledur and his Mach Punch and any other priority move. He should be able to outspeed almost anything. Almost, so be careful.
    This is mah nuzlocke run. c: Credit goes to Taro for the banner.

Spoonless @ Rocky Helmet/Psychic Gem/Chesto Berry/Wide Lens
    Trait:Magic Guard
    252 SAtk/4 Defence/252 Spd
    -Reflect
    -Light Screen/Calm Mind/Focus Blast/Signal Beam
    -Psychic
    -Recover/Rest
    Nature: Gentle

Reflect is for that bad defense. Light Screen is just trying to make them like an alert to just use attacks. Calm Mind is pretty much for SAtk and SDefence. Focus Blast for the pesky dark types. Signal Beam for better accuracy but not that strong. Psychic is good for Alakazam since STAB. Recover for half health healing. Rest for all the way healing but sleeping for two turns.
    Last edited by KrookodilePwner; 30th April 2011 at 10:58 PM. Reason: I put the one wrong item and I didn't want to put surfing pikachu.

Hey you drillos can you drill this for me?

Rhyhorn, Rhydon, and Rhyperior - pldh.net
    Userbar - Kreayshawn

Overview
    The classic sweeping psychic type Pokemon, Alakazam. He will probably only be remembered because he's one of the best special sweepers in the game. He also has a new ability, magic guard, which prevents damage from hail, sand stream, poison, and burn. He also has a good move pool which gives him diversity.

Synchronize: An ability that can make the opponent get a taste of their own status problem, otherwise, look elsewhere.

Inner focus: An ability that can...prevent you from flinching....IF the opponent can outrun you to begin with.

Magic guard: The best ability Alakazam has which prevents damage from burn, poison, weather, etc. Basically, he's impervious to non-direct attacks. Please choose this ability.

ALAKA....wait....WHERE'S MY TWISTED SPOON?!
    item:twisted spoon/focus sash
    ability:magic guard
    nature:modest/timid
    EVs: 252 Sp.attack/252 speed
    moves:
    Psychic/Thunder wave
    Energy ball/Dream eater
    Focus blast
    Shadow ball

Alakazam is personally one of the best psychic types. His defences and HP make him seem weaker than an ant, but his tremendous speed and sp. attack make him just kill and go. Twisted spoon is good if you want to power up STAB psychic moves even more. Then there's that option of using a focus sash to barely save you if you die in the first hit (which is very common for Alakazam). Psychic is the perfect STAB move and a great combo with twisted spoon. Alakazam could also be devastating by teaching it Thunder wave to halve the speed of fast pokemon like Ninjask. Shadow ball gives him type coverage against psychic and ghost, as Focus blast covers him from dark types. Energy ball is good if you want to beat strong water and rock types as it also gives him some diversity on moves. Dream eater could replace Energy ball nicely too if one of your pokemon in your party knows Hypnosis to make a good combo.

Alakazam works part-time as a trickster
    item:flame orb
    ability:synchronize
    nature:timid/modest
    Evs: 252 Sp. attack/252 speed
    moves:
    Trick
    Reflect/Recover
    Focus Blast/Miracle eye
    Psychic

Everything stat-wise is the same but the strategy is much different. Giving Alakazam a flame orb but switching with the opponent with Trick gives them a burn that halves their attack which is vital because Alakazam's defense is low. If you still aren't satisfied with Alakazam's Defense safety, say hello to Barrier. Though, if you feel Alakazam needs a recovery move instead, Recover is the way to go. Psychic is a great STAB move and can still be used on Dark types with Miracle eye. Of course, if you just want to have type coverage against dark types, Focus blast would work even better.
    Last edited by ringuma; 28th April 2011 at 2:14 AM.

Hm...I'll make a great stall breaker, since it can't be stalled out of health by Status and Leach Seed.
    (St/W)all Breaker
    Timid/252sp.att/252speed
    MagicGuard/LifeOrb or FocusSash
    -Guard split
    -Psyshock
    -Focus Blast
    -Taunt/Calm Mind

Come in on a move like toxic, then Guard Split, and overlooked move. Then, it's a fast and powerful tank. Psyshock is because it's defense is lower then it's sp.def, so it'll usually make the enemy's like that after a guard swap.
    Here is a basic attacking set for Alakazam,

Ability: Magic Guard
    Hold Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash

Nature: Modest/Timid
    EVs: 16 Def/ 240 SAtk/ 252 Spd

- Calm Mind
    - Psyshock/Psychic
    - Focus Blast
    - Grass Knot/Psychic

"Calm Mind" to increase its already good S.Atk to higher levels (along with its S.Def). "Psyshock" for physical coverage (also a much better "Blissey" counter move than "Focus Blast" if you ask me since it does physical damage to it and has good accuracy). "Focus Blast" for type coverage. "Grass Knot" for heavier foes.
    Changes in bold. Psyshock is great, but Psychic hits harder. Focus Sash since it isn't stopped by SR, and it helps to get up a calm mind.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Bulky Alakazam?@Leftovers
    Ability: Magic Guard/Synchronize
    128 HP / 168Sp.A /212 Spe
    -Psyshock/Psychic
    -Recover
    -Guard Split
    -Focus Blast/Shadow Ball/Energy Ball/Substitute

This version is incredibly gimmicky and situational, but incredibly rewarding if pulled off. Seeing Alakazam, your opponent will assume it to be a regular sweeper. They'll more than likely switch into a wall to take care it. That's when you use Guard Split to add your defenses together with your opponent and Alakazam some much needed defensive bulk. After being left nearly defenseless, your opponent will either switch out or take the hit for a probable OHKO.

Focus Blast/Shadow Ball/ Energy Ball are all for coverage and Sub is to prevent against paralysis which will destroy the set. Recover is to maintain HP and help keep you in for the long haul.
    Last edited by Cryochronic; 25th April 2011 at 4:50 PM.

Spoiler:- My Badge Case:

Magic Guard Focus Sash Alakazam is stupidly good. It hits like a bomb and doesn't really have to worry about losing his Focus Sash unless you let it. Bring it in after something dies, then start killing. Magic Guard also lets it run Life Orb somewhat more effectively.

How about a gravity set w/ Focus Sash? ( would be run as a lead) It could set up gravity potentially survive due to the sash and the attempt to hurt something also it could run magic coat to halt prankster taunt users when you encounter one(also can send entry hazards back at the poor fools who used them).

Should it survive its set up, you could try and hit things with moves like 100% accurate focus blast and psyshock/psychic.
    Or maybe cripple something with status like thunder wave or possibly encore something for your next gravity abusers sake.

Edit: note this set requires gen 4 moves and as such must use either inner focus or synchronize as it's ability.
    Last edited by Dragrath; 25th April 2011 at 6:55 AM.
    Dragons are my friend, Ice is my foe...
    (Kyurem is an exception) dragonics rule

-Let us hope for gen 6 to turn out well!

Strugglekazam
    Leftovers
    Timid, 252 HP 252 Speed/4 in whatever
    Magic Guard/Synchronize
    Torment
    Toxic/Psychic/Recover
    Substitute
    Encore

This set is an awkward but I think it can catch someone off guard. You set up a sub hopefully on a switch encore them into a move then torment (can also be in revers order torment then encore) them into a struggle fest and either eat away at their health using toxic or psychic or recover damage you got setting up your sub. May not work but I wanted something totally original amongst the life orb and dual screen sets.

P.S. First post sorry if I did the wrong format or something else.

I like this idea...
    All-out special sweeper
    Alakazam @Life Orb/Choice Specs
    Magic Guard
    Modest/Timid
    252 SpAtk/252 Speed/4 HP
    -Psychic/Psyshock
    -Shadow Ball
    -Energy Ball
    -Focus Blast

I've always been fond of just straightforward, all-out 4 attack movesets.
    Little extra options here. Timid is preferred over Modest as Zam REALLY effing needs that speed boost over others in it's speed tier. Shadow Ball/Focus Blast grant perfect coverage, Psychic/Psyshock give you a power STAB to hit with, and Energy Ball will hit water/grounds or water/rocks hard. Choice Specs is an option here but if you go with your stab move you are nothing more than really shitty pursuit bait.
    Black Pokedex Progress: 483/649
    (Suspended until B2W2 English Release)
    Normal Monotype SS Challenge: 6 Badges
    PM me for FC's or trade requests!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast