Bulky Alakazam?@Leftovers
    Ability: Magic Guard/Synchronize
    Nature: Timid
    128 HP / 168Sp.A /212 Spe
    -Psyshock/Psychic
    -Recover
    -Guard Swap
    -Focus Blast/Shadow Ball/Energy Ball/Substitute

This version is incredibly gimmicky and situational, but incredibly rewarding if pulled off. Seeing Alakazam, your opponent will assume it to be a regular sweeper. They'll more than likely switch into a wall to take care it. That's when you use Guard Swap to steal their defenses and give Alakazam some much needed defensive bulk. After being left nearly defenseless, your opponent will either switch out or take the hit for a probable OHKO.

Focus Blast/Shadow Ball/ Energy Ball are all for coverage and Sub is to prevent against paralysis which will destroy the set. Recover is to maintain HP and help keep you in for the long haul.
    Unfortunately, guard swap switches changes to defences, not the stats themselves. Alakazam's best option here is Guard Split, which averages its defences with those of its target (like power share, but with defence instead of attack). Unfortunately, unless it's used on something like Shuckle or Skarmory, it's going to leave Alakazam too physically frail to take anything anyway.
    FINE. I'LL MAKE A SIGNATURE

My White team:
    Reserves:

I claimed Plusle. I don't know what claiming it does, but I claimed it.

A +6 Att 10th round metronome Helping-Hand boosted Max Attack Victini V-Generate vs. a -6 Def Min. Defense min. HP Paras in Sun does 135516-159432 damage, or 75286.7%-88573.3%

More Counters to 'Zam

-Anything with Physical power and Multihit Moves (Dual Chop, Icicle Spear, Rock Blast, Spike Cannon, Tail Slap, Bullet Seed, Double Hit, etc.) can tear apart a Focus Sash or Substitute 'Zam.
    -Anything with Fake Out can tear down non-Inner Focus + Focus Sash 'Zam.
    -Prankster Sableye can deal with non-Magic Guard 'Zam via Sucker Punch and Trick.

Well, since Eviolite Kadabra and Bulky Alakazam, I will post a Choice Band Alakazam:
    Alakazam@Choice Band
    Timid
    252 SpA, 4 SpD, 252 Spe
    -Trick
    -Psychic/Psycho Shock
    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast
    No, I am not that crazy to actually posting a Physical Alakazam. You could run Choice Scarf too.

Abra in little cup would make a great sweeper given base 105 Sp. Atk and base 90 speed.
    Monotype Ground Playthrough on Platinum with no black-outs = Complete. Check please!
    My end team

I don't use "uber" Pokemon , I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature. (Started by Tyranitar)

That is the only pre-evo that should be done.
    Kadabra isn;t worth it IMO.

Counters: Accelgor easily outspeeds alakazam and can use his spec attack stat to throw a bug buzz right in alakazam's face (I haven't calculated how much damage this would do).

Escavalier, on the other hand, will make alakazam beg to switch out. You can easily switch him on a psychic type attack, and the only attack most zam's use that are at least neutral to escavalier is focus blast. It is unreliable and may not even hit anyway, while you hit zam and tae him out in one hit with megahorn.

Speaking of megahorn, it completely recks alakazam (unless whoeve is using it has a pitiful attack).
    Current in game team:
    Blaziken
    Aegislash
    Malamar
    Noivern
    Aurorus
    Sylveon

...I'm going to refine my "Stalling is just a mindset" set. Here goes:

Stalling it just a mindset.
    Light Clay/Life Orb
    Magic Guard
    Hasty [ +Speed, -Defence. ]/Timid [ +Speed, -Attack ]
    252 Special Attack, 252 Speed & 4 HP
    -Psychic/Psyshock
    -Disable
    -Encore
    -Calm Mind/Reflect/Light Screen/Toxic/Thunder Wave

Nearly an exact match to my previous set. Psyshock and Psychic provide the STABs, with Psychic being stronger and Psyshock going through Blissey and other Special walls. What makes this set unique, though, is Encore + Disable making them struggle or switch. Then, on the Struggle/Switch turn, use a status move. Simple as that.

Mwahaha! R4GE Zibdas! I have Claimed Probopass!

I support MC. But with Eviolite. Viva la Eviolite!

^I believe Encore+Disable fails.
    I am not sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAwesomeOne View Post
    ^I believe Encore+Disable fails.
    I am not sure though.
    It works, it's just not reliable.

Trick specs/scarf+Disable is more reliable.

If you really want to screw with your opponents, though, Guard Split a wall.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Well, I figure you'd really be able to force-switch pretty much every Pokemon except for Ghosts with Encore-Disable, AND You'd only get ONE CHANCE with Trick-Disable. I think the reliability goes with my favor, as that is only one use and this is consecutive. Also, Hoppip2 kind of copied my set more-or-less. So yeah.

Also, I believe someone had put up another set similar to mine which had Torment instead of Disable? I've already checked it, and Disable has 5 more PP, and if whoever you are tried to get rid of that Ghost immunity, Encore is still Normal.

So, here's my huge post that actually doesn't get much done. Eh.

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherEffectRain View Post
    Well, I figure you'd really be able to force-switch pretty much every Pokemon except for Ghosts with Encore-Disable, AND You'd only get ONE CHANCE with Trick-Disable. I think the reliability goes with my favor, as that is only one use and this is consecutive. Also, Hoppip2 kind of copied my set more-or-less. So yeah.
    Yes, but you'd probably get one chance anyway, due to it's frailty, so you might take advantage of a choice item.

Hey guys, guess what,
    After a Calm Mind, Alakazam can just live Luvdisc's Surf, yep, cool.

i dont use stat or statuses i just attack so i say
    psychic
    psyshock
    shadow ball
    focus blast
    PASBL stats
    FB stats
    Virtuadopt clicks

Interested in the PASBL (Pokemon Anime Style Battle League)? Read our Getting Started thread! Got a question? Go to our Q/A thread.

Anyone may ref for me

Hm. Maybe so, but I like this set. Its certainly usable either way.

And a re-post of my set with a few changes:

Stalling is just a mindset.
    Light Clay/Life Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    Hasty [ +Speed, -Defence. ]/Timid [ +Speed, -Attack ]
    252 Special Attack, 252 Speed & 4 HP
    -Psychic/Psyshock
    -Disable
    -Encore
    -Guard Split/Thunder Wave/Toxic/Reflect/Light Screen

Very similar to my last post. Simple difference is Guard Split, which can be extremely useful. And annoying. Very annoying. Although it probably only works against walls really, so choose carefully. Thunder Wave & Toxic Provide Status conditions, which can be useful. Reflect & Light Screen provide team support, which can be useful considering he'll probably be killed easily. Only use Light Clay if you run Light Screen or Reflect.
    Last edited by WeatherEffectRain; 27th April 2011 at 1:19 AM.

Ok, so the first thing I am going to say is that I hate and Love Alakazam. Hate because as a mainly Dark Type Trainer, An Alakazam Focus Blast hurts like hell. And love because when I do reach outside and begin to build other teams for competition, Alakazam is always a possible choice.

As stated earlier, Alakazam should normally and mainly be EVed in Speed and Special Attack. But don't let that take away from building a gimmick, just understand what you are in for.

Pro's: Speed- Alakazam is among the top tier of speed. So it can outpace a great deal of the Metagame.

Special Attack- Yeah its huge. Enough said. Focus Blast, Shadow Ball, Psychic or even Psyshock from Alakazam is just brutal to anything that doesn't resist it or have the high end stats to protect itself.

Calm Mind- Yeah this is awesome. A move that raises both Special Attack and Special Defense.

Magic Guard- Thats right, now Alakazam is not effected by the damage of secondary effects. This means he can slip into entry hazards and Weather with out fear. And Burn or Poison damage is a mute point now too.

Cons: Defenses: To be brutally blunt, Alakazam's suck. He normally doesn't survive much unless he resists it.

Lack of resistances: Alakazam only Resists Fighting, Psychic. And takes double Damage from Dark(YAY!), Bug, and Ghost. With paper thin defenses, the lack of Notable Resistance is Brutal.

Verdict: While time has created new threats and opponents, Alakazam can still fill into a lot of places. He can still be a dominant Special Sweeper, or perhaps he just Revenge Kills things he can with great Speed. Regardless what you want him to do, Alakazam can do it. He might be an old face from the First Gen, but with Age comes Wisdom, and with Wisdom comes ways to win. And Alakazam with the right work, effort, and strategy, Will always find ways to win and to help its teammates.
    I Command the presence of Darkness to defeat my opponents.

As a solution for guard split only working on walls, give it magic guard. That way, it can come in on Toxic, Will-o-Wisp, and other wall's favorites.

Well isn't that an obvious factor, Zach? Sorry for being so blunt, but that's the whole deal to Magic Guard. You ignore Entry Hazards and Weather Effects, as well as Burn and Poison, making vital switch-in options. Great switch-in when a wall-war is about to start, especially with things like Will-O'-Wisp and Toxic flying around. Seems like all this typing is in vein though, Zammy here'd not keep his place in the OU Tier if it wasn't for Psyshock Guard Split and a lack of added walls. I expect him to finally drop soon.

-Oh, and don't you dare say he's in the UU right now; 135 Base Special Attack and 120 Base Speed are devastating, especially with very few viable counters coming from the UU.

Ah yes, Alakazam... the original special sweeper. A nice Pokemon overall, with great stats in place for sweeping. Unfortunately, as we all know, it's defenses are a bit lackluster, so it's new ability is almost worthless since most will go for direct attacks against it.

The Magician
    Modest @ Choice Scarf
    Inner Focus/ Synchronize

-Trick
    -Guard Split
    -Psychic
    -Signal Beam

252Sa, 252Spe, 4Hp

This set is designed to work as a lead for Alakazam. Usually people will send out thier defensive one in single battle first, such as Forretress and the unbelievebly common Ferrothorn. With this set, you can Trick them and make those slow bulky types hold an item that lets them use only one attack. From there, go with Guard Split, which switches thier defense. Guard Split turns Alakazam's horrid defense into an advantage- it will gain defense and at the same time the opponent will probably lose some. From there, proceed to sweep with that 405 special attack.

The Original Special Sweeper
    Timid @ Life Orb
    Inner Focus

-Psyshock
    -Shadow Ball
    -Focus Blast/Signal Beam
    -Energy Ball/Shock Wave

252Sa, 252Spe, 4Hp

The original special sweeper with a few new twists. Firstly it has the life orb, which will boost all its attacks 130%. Secondly, it now had Psyshock, which is perfect for dealing with the ones who are specially defensive (Blissey and Chansey hint hint). Everything else is for coverage. Focus Blast or Signal beam, depending on which type of dark destroying attack you prefer. Shock Wave or Energy Ball for water types

Other moves: Thunder Wave, Magic Coat, Encore

Thunder Wave has many applications, Magic coat can be good if you time it coorectly, and Encore is just plain awesome for set ups. On a side note, you can also use the item Focus Sash to make up for its poor defenses.

Counters: Anything with a priority move, especially Shadow Sneak or Extremespeed. Spiritomb because it can have Shadow Sneak and high defenses, while maintaining no weaknesses. Arcanine would also work given Extremespeed and its high attack stat. Anything faster than it can also defeat it in one shot- Gengar for example can Shadow Ball it easily.
    Last edited by Cataclyptic; 27th April 2011 at 4:36 AM.

If Alakazam got Nasty Plot, it would probably be BL, but since it is got the intelligence of a Super Computer, it can't generate Nasty Thoughts.....

Could it be possible to give Magic Guard Alakazam a Sticky Barb? Considering everyone's going to be hitting it with Crunch...

It is possible.
    But it is a waste of an Item Slot, and they could Dark Pulse him to death.

Best counter IMO is Spiritomb.
    No weaknesses, and makes Alakazam **** himself.

Oh, if anyone wants to know, Alakazam has nice speed because it outruns Sand Rush Adamant Excadrill with a Scarf. But then you have to rely on Focus Miss.
    Ignore, thanks.

Why does everyone call Focus Blast Focus Miss?
    Is that its Japanese name or something?

It misses all the time.

A lot more than Stone Edge. But I use neither anyway, since I know my luck. It's the reason why my Cobalion doesn't have Stone Edge and my Gengar has Thunderbolt and Icy Wind in place of Focus Miss.

(Alakazam has IRON TAIL? WTF. I don't care if Kadabra has a tail, it can't POSSIBLY LEARN THAT)

Alakazam in Triples and Doubles:

It has Ally Switch, which is OK. But He's too frail to be taking a hit for an Ally, leave this job to Gardevior and Gallade.
    Ignore, thanks.

Theoretically, couldn't a low defense sweeper with Guard Split be an effective counter? Even if it may not be used at all...
    I'm back. And ready for more battling.

[Img]http://i55.*******.com/k1cdxu.gif[/img]
    [Img]http://i56.*******.com/2lx856h.gif[/Img][Img]http://i51.*******.com/206yn8i.gif[/Img]

Thanks to Mew_ and Sarah- for the banner, and PikaPika 677 for the MD animations.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast