Page 134 of 256 FirstFirst ... 3484124130131132133134135136137138144184234 ... LastLast
Results 3,326 to 3,350 of 6380

Thread: NFL/NCAAF Thread

The vast majority of the media consists of stupid bandwagon fans anyhow. They're all Packers, Patriots, NFC East, and big market team fans. The Lions and pretty much all of the Detroit based teams in general get zero respect from the media, because they're from Detroit, and people love to hate Detroit for no reason whatsoever. You have no idea how much I see the "Dumptroit"/"Detroilet/0-16 fits your city" crap I see all over the Internet. It's dumb.

But yeah. Talking about Katrina is pretty classless of him.

Just ignore them and move on. They have zero impact on the game anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Latias View Post
    The vast majority of the media consists of stupid bandwagon fans anyhow. They're all Packers, Patriots, NFC East, and big market team fans. The Lions and pretty much all of the Detroit based teams in general get zero respect from the media, because they're from Detroit, and people love to hate Detroit for no reason whatsoever. You have no idea how much I see the "Dumptroit"/"Detroilet/0-16 fits your city" crap I see all over the Internet. It's dumb.

But yeah. Talking about Katrina is pretty classless of him.

Just ignore them and move on. They have zero impact on the game anyway.
    I personally hate every Big team like the Steelers,Patriots,Packers I love to root for the underdogs in every game.

Ya this is where I sympathize w/ you. DET is a bad spot for you guys because you get all grunt of the bulls*** just because of how bad the city is doing in general. In some ways, I feel OAK is in the same boat as you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by sAv1Or) View Post
    Ya this is where I sympathize w/ you. DET is a bad spot for you guys because you get all grunt of the bulls*** just because of how bad the city is doing in general. In some ways, I feel OAK is in the same boat as you guys.
    Nah, Oakland's in the Bay Area. They've got SF near them, and that improves their image a little.

Honestly, Detroit isn't as bad as it's made out to be or at the very least, it's not as bad as it was in the 1980s (lulz cuz no one lives there anymore). I don't want to go too much into it because it's going off-topic, but I'll say that Super Bowl commercial with Eminem driving the Chrysler is probably more accurate about Detroit than anything you'll ever read about it.

On a more relevant topic, anyone watching the Chiefs-Steelers game tonight? And what is it with the Chiefs getting MNF all the time?

On a more relevant topic, anyone watching the Chiefs-Steelers game tonight?
    I'm watching it. I got Emmanuel Sanders on my Fantasy team as well. I already won but it would be nice for him to solidify it a little more ^^

I'm going with PIT in this one though. 37-16

And what is it with the Chiefs getting MNF all the time?
    They only have it once?

Didn't they play the Chargers or someone in prime time?

Didn't they play the Chargers or someone in prime time?
    HERE is the MNF schedule.

Was thinking of a Thursday Night Football game. Never mind

Was thinking of a Thursday Night Football game. Never mind
    I often forget those things as well. No worries.

With TNF, I now get those games confused w/ MNF games. I still don't know why.

Where has GiantsFan been lately? He couldn't shut up while the Giants were winning.

Oh. Banned. LOL.

Anyway, I've noticed a trend in this year's primetime games.

Either the Steelers, Broncos, Cowboys, or Falcons are always playing, and the games are usually crappy (with some exceptions like Broncos-Falcons, Steelers-Broncos, Broncos-Chargers), like last night's game and probably tonight's game.
    Last edited by ebevan91; 12th November 2012 at 11:56 PM.
    FC: 1779-0800-2195
    My friend safari: Noibat, Gabite, Druddigon

The way I see it, Primetime games usually feature teams in few catergories:

- Storied franchises that the NFL refuses to stop living in the past with even if they aren't playing good as of lately (Cowboys, Eagles)

- Storied franchises that still are very relevant and will easily make money (Steelers, Ravens, Giants)

- Teams that have been consistently good and will usually provide a good game (Patriots, Packers, Saints)

- Teams that had one good year and were expected to continue the trend next year (Broncos, Bengals, 49ers)

Everyone else is usually forgotten in the shuffle and usually get a primetime game by virtue of playing a team that fits into one of the above categories. Sort of a "Well they just so happen to be playing them on this day" sort of deal.

Either that or the "Flex Rule" comes into play where they change the time of the game so that something more interesting one can be shown. Example:

Last year, Patriots and Colts were set to play the primetime once but it was given to the Saints vs Lions game by virtue of it being a more interesting contest than watching a team with no chance of winning. Oddly enough they didn't do it with the Saints vs Colts game, although I think it was because it was the timing of the games.
    Last edited by deathseer; 13th November 2012 at 12:45 AM.
    My deviantArt

U mad bro?

Anyone have any predictions for the game tonight?

I think this one should be obvious. KC doesn't have a prayer.
    My deviantArt

U mad bro?

Quote Originally Posted by deathseer View Post
    The way I see it, Primetime games usually feature teams in few catergories:

- Storied franchises that the NFL refuses to stop living in the past with even if they aren't playing good as of lately (Cowboys, Eagles)

- Storied franchises that still are very relevant and will easily make money (Steelers, Ravens)

- Teams that have been consistently good and will usually provide a good, high scoring game (Patriots, Packers, Saints)

- Teams that had one good year and were expected to continue the trend next year (Broncos, Bengals, 49ers)

Everyone else is usually forgotten in the shuffle and usually get a primetime game by virtue of playing a team that fits into one of the above categories. Sort of a "Well they just so happen to be playing them on this day" sort of deal.

Either that or the "Flex Rule" comes into play where they change the time of the game so that something more interesting one can be shown. Example:

Last year, Patriots and Colts were set to play the primetime game once but it was given to the Saints vs Lions game by virtue of it being a more interesting contest than watching a team with no chance of winning. Oddly enough they didn't do it with the Saints vs Colts game, although I think it was because it was the timing of the games.
    Pretty much this, and they might as well switch around Lions vs. Packers a few weeks down the road while they're at it, because the Lions don't have a snowball's chance of winning that one. Do Saints vs. Giants instead. That sounds a heck of a lot more interesting than watching the Lions freezing to death in Wisconsin.

Anyone have any predictions for the game tonight?
    KC wins in a blowout.

Alabama thought they could beat Texas A&M, but they had another thing coming.

It's gonna be the same tonight. The Steelers are so confident they will win, but they will underestimate the Chiefs.

Pretty much this, and they might as well switch around Lions vs. Packers a few weeks down the road while they're at it, because the Lions don't have a snowball's chance of winning that one. Do Saints vs. Giants instead. That sounds a heck of a lot more interesting than watching the Lions freezing to death in Wisconsin.
    Hopefully the Giants will enter the Saints game on a long losing streak so that the game isn't worth flexing to Sunday night.
    Last edited by Pikachu Fan Number Nine; 13th November 2012 at 1:06 AM.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature
    -----
    RIP Foghorn Leghorn and Casey Kasem

As much as I love to see the Saints vs. Giants in primetime, I doubt it will happen. Even down the road, the appeal of Stafford to Megatron up against the Aaron Rodgers and the Packers seems way too sexy to pass up. If the Lions are as bad as you say they are, and the Saints actually having something to play for, like a playoff spot, I can see it happening. But if neither of those is true, then I think they keep it the same. Keep in mind, when they flexed the schedule last year, it was because the Colts were dead in the water and had virtually no hope of anything other than the first pick of the draft. Not to mention, they weren't exactly exciting to watch. Even with big names like Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, and Pierre Garcon, they still were anemic offensively. At least with the Lions offense you have something exciting to watch, even if they aren't playoff bound.

What strikes me is that the Saints vs Giants game wasn't given a Monday Night slot, since they usually get one as of late when they play. They really like to hype it up whenever one of the Mannings plays the Saints with the whole "Hometown Game". The schedules were made before the whole "Bounty" thing broke out, so its not like they changed it because of that. I guess it just isn't as as exciting and "sexy" as it used to be, with the Saints owning the Giants every time they play them in the Sean Payton era. 49-28 didn't look to good on them last year and I think the times before that it was somewhere in that area too. My guess is the national media would be none too happy about the possibility of the Saints blowing the doors off of them again.
    My deviantArt

U mad bro?

The Lions offense this year is not the Lions offense last year. Everyone's figured them out, and they either won't or can't adjust, and as a result, their offense is pretty anemic this year. I don't care that the stats show their offense is, what? 2nd in the NFL in total yards? That's a complete fluke, trust me. Honestly, it's at the point where after this year, most people probably won't give a crap about Staff to Megatron. I already know one fan who's calling Staff a bust, and it won't be long until fans are calling for the Lions to tank for Geno or Barkley or whoever the "hot" QB of the year is (which they shouldn't).
    That said, I don't think the Lions are as bad as I'm making them out to be, but they're still pretty awful.

That's true about the national media, though. They certainly don't want to see their precious Giants lose. But considering the current circumstances, I don't see why they shouldn't move it up.

That is true. These aren't the Lions of last year. And now that I think about it, Megatron is basically the big name on offense, and that does not make exciting football. The appeal of the Packers, Saints, and Patriots is that they all have those explosive weapons on offense that can really break a game open and its not just the QB throwing it up to one guy who 95% of the time is going to catch whatever is thrown to them. Nationally televised games love to see all those big names on the big stage.

I guess if the Lions do really bad at that point, to where not even a game played for pride is fun to watch, they'll make a push to give the Saints vs Gaints their slot. But I still see the Saints blowing their doors off like they usually do. Despite those big names on defense, and it is a formidable one, I can't see them slowing down the Saints offense enough to win.

And their is another game that just came to mind for me, Saints vs 49ers. That game could just as easily be flexed too. Way too many storylines in that matchup for the media to pass up. But I guess it depends on who is playing the primetime slot that week as well.
    My deviantArt

U mad bro?

Until this last game against the Vikings, I thought their offense was starting to become more multidimensional. With Nate Burleson down, Titus Young and Ryan Broyles were picking up the slack. Pettigrew was playing better, as were Leshoure and Joique Bell, although the Lions will never have a good running game without drafting an elite RB that isn't so concussion-prone.
    But I was wrong. Titus Young should probably go, because he's too immature. Nate Burleson's getting old. Pettigrew was a mirage, and Tony Scheffler should be played more, if only so we can see more stuff like this. And... well, it's the same old story with the running game. Sheesh, maybe they do need to draft another WR in the first round and cut Titus Young or something. I don't know.

I guess we'll see what happens when the time comes. I know I'd rather watch a good, competitive game between the Saints and Giants than watch the Packers blow the Lions out in freezing cold Wisconsin.

Quote Originally Posted by ebevan91 View Post
    Where has GiantsFan been lately? He couldn't shut up while the Giants were winning.

Oh. Banned. LOL.

Anyway, I've noticed a trend in this year's primetime games.

Either the Steelers, Broncos, Cowboys, or Falcons are always playing, and the games are usually crappy (with some exceptions like Broncos-Falcons, Steelers-Broncos, Broncos-Chargers), like last night's game and probably tonight's game.
    There's a limit to how many primetime games a team can have a year (up to 5 if I recall)
    The Cowboys will always have the maximum amount of primetime games because everyone like to see the Cowboys win or lose, they always fetch high ratings.
    The Steelers have gotten them recently because they have been good.
    The Broncos have been fetching attention lately because of the Payton Manning business.
    Falcons have been good lately so they get prime time games.
    You can always count on two teams to always have primetime spots no matter how good or bad they are: The Dallas Cowboys and most of the time the Pittsburgh Steelers. These are the two most followed franchises in the league by far.

And I live in Texas and oh my god i am not hearing the end of this from the aggies
    you guys do not realize that the most ARROGANT fanbase in the world resides in texas a&m university. My god. this is like the first positive thing they've done in literal DECADES and they won't shut the heck up about it
    (if you can't tell I bleed Burnt Orange )
    Last edited by Zenotwapal; 13th November 2012 at 3:36 AM.
    oopsie

You can always count on two teams to always have primetime spots no matter how good or bad they are: The Dallas Cowboys and most of the time the Pittsburgh Steelers. These are the two most followed franchises in the league by far.
    Really? I knew about the Cowboys, but I thought the Patriots and Pack were followed far more than the Steelers.

Really? I knew about the Cowboys, but I thought the Patriots and Pack were followed far more than the Steelers.
    Look into the NFL's History
    The Steelers have been a far more successful team than the Packers and the Patriots.
    They have a more widely distributed fanbase than either of those franchises because of that success. Really outside of the '00's, the Patriots have had like, 5 good years (2 superbowl bids and in those they got whoooommmmmpppppped by the Bears in '85 and by the Packers ((hehe coincidentally)) sometime in the late '90s)
    It really goes by who's been winning recently but there's always two teams that they follow constantly and that's the Cowboys and Steelers.
    oopsie

The Falcons usually get primetime games because of who they are playing, sometimes not how well they are doing. Most of their primetime games are either against the Saints or Eagles, the Saints because of how good they have been, and the Eagles because of Micheal Vick and the storylines that brings. Even this year, they got the night game against the Cowboys, because its the Cowboys, and the national media can't get enough of them, even if everyone hates them of if they are playing bad.

But its true. If any two teams are guaranteed a night game every year, its the Cowboys and Steelers.

Although for Denver, I accredit it to Tebow last year. The talk he generated last year was unreal, even to the point where networks were fighting to see which one would televise any game he would be playing in. They gave Denver their night games in the hopes that Tebow would still be playing for Denver next year, but little did they know that Manning would make a push to play there. So in the end, it worked out for them, since they got something better out of it. But I doubt that Manning playing in Denver is the reason they got primetime games.
    My deviantArt

U mad bro?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenotwapal View Post
    Look into the NFL's History
    The Steelers have been a far more successful team than the Packers and the Patriots.
    They have a more widely distributed fanbase than either of those franchises because of that success. Really outside of the '00's, the Patriots have had like, 5 good years (2 superbowl bids and in those they got whoooommmmmpppppped by the Bears in '85 and by the Packers ((hehe coincidentally)) sometime in the late '90s)
    It really goes by who's been winning recently but there's always two teams that they follow constantly and that's the Cowboys and Steelers.
    Alright, I didn't know that. I'm a newer fan to the sport in general, hence overreactions and some of the crazy things I say. xD Thanks.

Alright, I didn't know that. I'm a newer fan to the sport in general, hence overreactions and some of the crazy things I say. xD Thanks.
    It's no problem haha I like explaining things about football
    I love this sport haha. I probably know too much about the history of the NFL as well. I should study more school related topics instead of memorizing the Superbowl match-ups by year :P

And just for reference, since I do live in Texas, I go for the Dallas Cowboys and the Texas Longhorns. I'm not an arrogant fan but I'll defend my teams. I'm not going to be a dick about them like Giantsfan is :P
    oopsie

Page 134 of 256 FirstFirst ... 3484124130131132133134135136137138144184234 ... LastLast