Page 101 of 259 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 6458

Thread: NFL/NCAAF Thread

Alright, now that the Super Bowl is over, time for more college realignment news.

The University of Memphis, the flagship institution of the Tennessee Board of Regents, announced that they will be leaving Conference USA for the Big East Conference in 2013, joining Boise State, San Diego State, Central Florida, Southern Methodist, and Houston. Navy, as stated earlier, will join in 2015.

What does this mean for the Liberty Bowl? Do they lose their C-USA tie-in? Where will the C-USA champion go? The New Orleans Bowl is a possibility.

And of course, Memphis hasn't fielded a decent football team in years. Basketball is what makes all the money. But then again, this is a football thread, not a basketball thread.
    Last edited by Pikachu Fan Number Nine; 8th February 2012 at 1:24 AM.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature
    -----
    RIP Foghorn Leghorn and Casey Kasem

Quote Originally Posted by FullMetalAlchemist View Post
    Alright, now that the Super Bowl is over, time for more college realignment news.

The University of Memphis, the flagship institution of the Tennessee Board of Regents, announced that they will be leaving Conference USA for the Big East Conference in 2013, joining Boise State, San Diego State, Central Florida, Southern Methodist, and Houston. Navy, as stated earlier, will join in 2015.

What does this mean for the Liberty Bowl? Do they lose their C-USA tie-in? Where will the C-USA champion go? The New Orleans Bowl is a possibility.

And of course, Memphis hasn't fielded a decent football team in years. Basketball is what makes all the money. But then again, this is a football thread, not a basketball thread.
    In fairness; they're not joining for the football; they're joining for the basketball.

I have claimed Giratina

With the realignment, I have listed each school in the BCS conferences by conference and region. After gathering the data, I found that of the 75 BCS AQ schools in 2015, 38 - that's half - come from the South. 13 of the SEC members (all but Missouri) are based in the South, as are 11 of the ACC members (all but Boston College, Pittsburgh, and Syracuse), 7 of the Big 12 members (the Oklahoma and Texas schools, plus West Virginia), and 7 of the Big East schools (football-only Navy and all the full members that play football in the Big East except Cincinnati, Connecticut and Rutgers).

And given that all but two of the BCS titles were won by Southern schools, including the last 6 by SEC schools, I'm not surprised at all by this stat. The South is the dominant region in college football.

The question remains - can the South rise again? Will Missouri and Texas A&M be legit SEC contenders? Can the Big East rise back to prominence in the post-Miami era?

In any event, A&M's best chance to appear on CBS is the Arkansas game, and Missouri's is the Alabama game (the Tide are the defending champs). I wish both luck in their first SEC season. I'm even prediction A&M will play Texas in the Cotton Bowl.
    -----

Should i start watching NFL 2012/2013 season
    I tried too this year but didn't watch much

With the additions by the Big East, several rivalry games will be resumed that haven't been played in a while.

One of these games is the Central Florida-South Florida game. They played every year between 2005-08, but not since then. I expect that this game will be a Thanksgiving fixture as soon as 2014.

Army and Navy will have to move up their game to Thanksgiving weekend, since in 2015 the Big East will have enough members to stage a championship game.

Louisville and Memphis will also resume a heated rivalry. SMU and Houston could potentially play each other on Thanksgiving weekend as well.

What does everyone think about all this conference realignment?
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by TylerS View Post
    Should i start watching NFL 2012/2013 season
    I tried too this year but didn't watch much
    I guess that would be the best time to start.

breathe it in, i'm gonna shine. it's my moment, i'm going to fly.

Here's to the Houston Texans taking the Lombardi Trophy from that retarded looking Eli Manning next year.

GO TEXANS!!!
    "Inherited Will, the Destiny of the Age, and the Dreams of its People. These are things that will not be stopped. As long as people continue to pursue the meaning of freedom, these things will never cease to be!"

With the additions by the Big East, several rivalry games will be resumed that haven't been played in a while.

One of these games is the Central Florida-South Florida game. They played every year between 2005-08, but not since then. I expect that this game will be a Thanksgiving fixture as soon as 2014.

Army and Navy will have to move up their game to Thanksgiving weekend, since in 2015 the Big East will have enough members to stage a championship game.

Louisville and Memphis will also resume a heated rivalry. SMU and Houston could potentially play each other on Thanksgiving weekend as well.

What does everyone think about all this conference realignment?
    It's awesome, Syracuse got into the ACC!

^Congratz. Planning to be on the football team?

The season just ended, but I already want the next season to begin already. My Sundays are so boring without football.
    No sig. Deal with it.

Hm, I want to write a book about what I think is the most traditional of the NFL divisions - the NFC North.

My reasoning:
    1. The NFC North has some of the oldest and most successful teams in the league
    2. One of my favorite teams, the Packers, is in the division
    3. The division's geography matches that of the Big Ten Conference in college sports, one of the oldest and most traditional conferences out there (it was founded over 110 years ago).

Can anybody give me some ideas for the book, which I want to name "An Abundance of Tradition - A Look Inside the NFC North"?
    -----

I've heard audio of Tom Brady talking during the Superbowl a couple times. There's one part were he says, "LET'S GO!!!! LET'S GO (something)!!!!" What's he saying?
    Quote Originally Posted by crystalzapdos View Post
    The season just ended, but I already want the next season to begin already. My Sundays are so boring without football.
    I used to feel the same, until I got into baseball and then basketball.
    Can anybody give me some ideas for the book, which I want to name "An Abundance of Tradition - A Look Inside the NFC North"?
    No ideas really, but your title sounds pretty good.
    I'm looking for a Serperior named Serpedera. It'll be at lvl 98 or above. If you happen to have such a pokemon please PM me.

Pretendeavors (Goals I have that don't really mean anything) Updated 10-04-13

Voltorb Flip, Level 8 Victories: 16
    White Geonet: All countries completed!!! (130), 505 Trade Locations (of 513)
    The Last Ten: Locations
    Arunachel Pradesh, India * Dadra & Nager Hall, India * Formosa, Argentina ()
    Henan, China * Himachal Pradesh, India * Lakshadweep, India
    Lubusz, Poland * Madhya Pradesh, India * Shaanxi, China () * Sikkim, India

Pokeathlon Pokedex: 493/493- COMPLETED!!! (01-05-13)

Well, Conference USA and the Mountain West Conference are merging:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...new-conference

I still expect that the Liberty Bowl tie-in goes to the Big East.

This conference will collapse within a few years due to travel costs, and C-USA and the MWC will be back in business by the time I turn 30 - with new member lineups.
    -----

A couple questions:

-what are your opinions on this bounty system news?

-what do you think about the apparently iminent release of Peyton Manning?

I don't care for the bounty stuff. I'm ok with having bonuses for good plays, like sacks or interceptions, but I find the pay-for-injuries thing to be inappropriate.

As for Manning, I kind of hoped he'd be able to stay in Indy, but I can't say I'm surprised he's leaving. Maybe he'll come over to the Chiefs (wishful thinking).
    I'm looking for a Serperior named Serpedera. It'll be at lvl 98 or above. If you happen to have such a pokemon please PM me.

I think the whole "bounty" thing is being overblown by the media. This is more than likely just a player pool laid with incentives for big plays. As far as getting cash for knocking guys out, while its unfortunate it happens, its a part of the game and I believe it was never any of the Saints plays intent to go out end end a guys career. Darren Sharper, who played with the team then said that there was basically just pools for things like "I bet I get the first interception of the game" or "I bet I lay the first big hit on the QB" and that it was never about going out there to end guys careers and take away their livelyhood. The media just slapped the word "bounty" on it to draw a story due to the word's negative connotation and make it seem like the Saints were trained killers going out to end guys and its getting annoying that the media is trying to dump on them and vilify them when many former players admit to doing the same thing when they played.

Mike Golic pretty much is the only on who sounds intelligent of anyone who is talking about this. When he played, guys got paid for extra incentives. There were often deals like "$500 to the person who knocks a certain player out of the game". That didn't mean go out to end a guys career. It meant go out there and hit as hard as you can and if he doesn't get up, oh well. That's football. People keep trying to spin this as "The Saints are a dirty team. They were out there trying to end guys careers for a few hundred bucks".

And the notion of "Player Safety" is laughable. Goodell is just trying to cover his *** from former players who will vulture after the League money citing "My career was ended because of injury. I was part of a bounty!" Personally, I believe its their own fault for pissing away millions of their dollars without the thought of maybe that money won't last forever. The only thing the Saints are guilty of is violating salary cap issues due to paying cash no listed in their contracts. Goodell will try to mask it as "Player Safety" but anyone with a brain stem can see that its only so that he can get former players off his back. And now he is about to destroy a franchise that's just now starting to get into the upper echelon of the League after so many years of futility simply because he doesn't want to look like the bad guy.

The guy is sigle-handedly trying to turn the NFL into pee wee flag football where you're only allowed to hug the guy in an attempt to stop him, and if that doesn't work, oh well. Highlight reels are dominated by players laying big hits on ball carriers. It's one of the main reasons the NFL is so popular. The fact you can turn on the TV and watch a free safety run across the field and knock a guy clear off his feet like a freight train and he is getting paid to do that. Defenses are paid to go out and hurt somebody. Hit someone as hard as you can and don't think twice about it. No he is trying to take Defense out of the game and just have the offense score touchdown after touchdown. Don't give me "Player Safety" bullcrap when you run highlight reels of some guy being blindsided by a defender coming from 20 yards away.

The man makes me sick to my stomach.
    Last edited by deathseer; 7th March 2012 at 5:19 PM.
    My deviantArt

U mad bro?

Quote Originally Posted by PsychicPsycho View Post
    A couple questions:

-what are your opinions on this bounty system news?

-what do you think about the apparently iminent release of Peyton Manning?

I don't care for the bounty stuff. I'm ok with having bonuses for good plays, like sacks or interceptions, but I find the pay-for-injuries thing to be inappropriate.

As for Manning, I kind of hoped he'd be able to stay in Indy, but I can't say I'm surprised he's leaving. Maybe he'll come over to the Chiefs (wishful thinking).
    Not really surprised about the bounty thing. As for manning now that he's officially been released, it truly is very sad. The conference was rather emotional and you can tell it's hurting him knowing he wont be a colt anymore. Sad to see him go...I just hope he goes to a team i like so i can keep rooting for the colts and him

RIP Ice Grabbers
    Super Smash Bros. Melee - Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Nana you're too smart for a 3DS.
    *credit to PurpleBlitz for drac stuff*

Quote Originally Posted by Bestgamepearl View Post
    Sad to see him go...I just hope he goes to a team i like so i can keep rooting for the colts and him
    They're saying the Broncos and Cardinals are the frontrunners to get him. If he ends up with the Broncos I'll probably cry. The only other team I've heard mentioned that I don't what him to go to is the Jets, but they signed Sanchez to an extension, so they're probably out.

But holy crap, the Colts weren't kidding about shaking things up- it seems like they released everyone noteworthy. I wonder if that so people can't just say it's Manning's absense that's causing problems if they suck next year.

I'm kind of surprised at the Colts releasing Peyton and more. It's like they want to suck and give away free wins again.

I want to see Manning go to a low tier team that needs the help. I guess that means... Arizona or Miami?

breathe it in, i'm gonna shine. it's my moment, i'm going to fly.

Free Agency is absolutely blowing up today. This season is looking pretty interesting right now.
    My deviantArt

U mad bro?

So Chicago just signed Brandon marshall for 2 3rd rounders (1 this year and 1 next) look to be the favorites for Mario Williams, or John Abraham, and still have a full draft.

Holy. ****.

49ers addressed their only real problem with Randy Moss (assuming he's able to pick right back where he left off).

With the Saints set to lose major parts of their team and Brees holding out. The Packers still haven't addressed their anemic pass rush (here's hoping for that draft). Theres looking to be a major power shift in the NFC. Especially if Manning signs in Arizon and brings Wayne with him.

Redskins just signed Pierre Garcon, so it looks like RG3 won't be thrown to the flames next year.

EDIT: Vincent Jackson to the Bucs.... we'll have to see about this.

The Saints aren't losing much, and I don't think Brees is the type of guy to "hold out". A deal will get done pretty soon. At least we got Colston signed. Nicks and Meachem will probably head for greener ($) pastures. Apparently Nicks is talking to the Bucs and the Bills are interested in Meachem.

EDIT: Man. The Chargers front office should be fired. Drew Brees, Darren Sproles, Micheal Turner, and now Vincent Jackson.
    Last edited by deathseer; 14th March 2012 at 2:40 AM.
    My deviantArt

U mad bro?

Mike Tolbert as well. The chargers are officially no longer the "too talented to fail" team. They're falling apart, and with them likely moving the LA soon, perhaps a fresh start is needed.

Can't help but laugh at the fact that Meachem just signed with the Chargers. I guess it's the least we owe them after what we have gotten from them.
    My deviantArt

U mad bro?

Quote Originally Posted by Kazekage View Post
    EDIT: Vincent Jackson to the Bucs.... we'll have to see about this.
    That sucks for the Chargers. They just lost possibly their best player, which won't do them much good next season.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

Page 101 of 259 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201 ... LastLast