Page 105 of 256 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155205 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 6376

Thread: NFL/NCAAF Thread

Historically, when quaterbacks have gone first AND second in the draft, at least one (if not both) of them have sucked. The pairs I can think of are Drew Bledsoe/Rick Mirer (1993), Peyton Manning/Ryan leaf (1998), Tim Couch/Donovan McNabb (1999, and Akili Smith went 3rd, so a full 66% of them of stunk), and David Carr/Joey Harrington (2002. Okay, Joey went #3, but close enough).

History bodes poorly for Luck and/or Griffin.

Sid87's Gen 6 Igloo Shop!

FC: 3823-9867-2750

Quote Originally Posted by Sid87 View Post
    Historically, when quaterbacks have gone first AND second in the draft, at least one (if not both) of them have sucked. The pairs I can think of are Drew Bledsoe/Rick Mirer (1993), Peyton Manning/Ryan leaf (1998), Tim Couch/Donovan McNabb (1999, and Akili Smith went 3rd, so a full 66% of them of stunk), and David Carr/Joey Harrington (2002. Okay, Joey went #3, but close enough).

History bodes poorly for Luck and/or Griffin.
    Yeah that might be true, but Luck is about as complete as a Quarterback prospect as they come, so I think he won't end up like Couch. I'm not sure how RG3's physical ability and play of QB translates to the NFL, however.

3DS FC: 3067 - 5438 - 9132

Edit: I've stopped keeping track- does anyone know what all conference movement is supposed to occur next season? I know MU & A&M are off to the SEC, but I'm not sure about anyone else.

I'm hearing the SEC commisioner talking about a 4 team playoff (here). It's looking better and better to end the BCS.

Also, Hard Knocks goes to the Dolphins. Does anyone watch that? Are the Dolphins really a good team for it?
    Historically, when quaterbacks have gone first AND second in the draft, at least one (if not both) of them have sucked.
    They cover this same thing on espn. They basically echoed what you said, but they did have an example of a pair that did both do well, although I can't remember who it was. For some reason, Archie Manning and the guy he was drafted with come to mind, but that's probably wrong.

Edit: looks like Jim Plunkett was the no. 1 pick, Manning was the second, so maybe that was the correct pair.
    I'm looking for a Serperior named Serpedera. It'll be at lvl 98 or above. If you happen to have such a pokemon please PM me.

Pretendeavors (Goals I have that don't really mean anything) Updated 10-04-13

Voltorb Flip, Level 8 Victories: 16
    White Geonet: All countries completed!!! (130), 505 Trade Locations (of 513)
    The Last Ten: Locations
    Arunachel Pradesh, India * Dadra & Nager Hall, India * Formosa, Argentina ()
    Henan, China * Himachal Pradesh, India * Lakshadweep, India
    Lubusz, Poland * Madhya Pradesh, India * Shaanxi, China () * Sikkim, India

Pokeathlon Pokedex: 493/493- COMPLETED!!! (01-05-13)

While we're on the subject of realignment, it appears that the Big East is suing TCU for chickening out of joining.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/story/...rogs-5-million
    Ceci n'est pas une signature
    -----
    RIP Foghorn Leghorn and Casey Kasem

So Tomlinson is retiring. Kind of sad to see it. I always thought he was a great player and hoped he'd win a Superbowl, but he always played for team I wouldn't want to win it.
    Quote Originally Posted by FullMetalAlchemist View Post
    While we're on the subject of realignment, it appears that the Big East is suing TCU for chickening out of joining.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/story/...rogs-5-million
    Kind of sucks for the Big East. They're easily the worst football conference and one of the best for basketball, and the conflct keeps screwing with them. Maybe their answer is to just ditch the football.
    I'm looking for a Serperior named Serpedera. It'll be at lvl 98 or above. If you happen to have such a pokemon please PM me.

Pretendeavors (Goals I have that don't really mean anything) Updated 10-04-13

Voltorb Flip, Level 8 Victories: 16
    White Geonet: All countries completed!!! (130), 505 Trade Locations (of 513)
    The Last Ten: Locations
    Arunachel Pradesh, India * Dadra & Nager Hall, India * Formosa, Argentina ()
    Henan, China * Himachal Pradesh, India * Lakshadweep, India
    Lubusz, Poland * Madhya Pradesh, India * Shaanxi, China () * Sikkim, India

Pokeathlon Pokedex: 493/493- COMPLETED!!! (01-05-13)

Completely unrelated, but since it's been a few days, I will bring this up. Giants fans, stop *****ing that the Patriots correctly and legally took Jake Ballard from you. You made the mistake of putting him on waivers instead of cutting him outright. My isse is why you would cut your top TE for a backup D-linemen?

Also, the Eagles signed O.J. Atogwe, an underrated signing that should prove valuable since their safeties are both entering either their second of third year in the league.

Manager of:

Watch the Power of Aura!

White FC: 0691 1059 6854

I have claimed Giratina

It's official, They've done one thing that will probably won't work out anyways

Have to say that there will still whining from Boise State fans even though the teams that beats them out have a better record and tougher road there. I mean, I still have yet to see Boise State to have a tough road to a good record. Though I personally think that they did this since that they are sick and tired of an SEC team winning it every year even though they deserve it more.

Smashin' !

Quote Originally Posted by LucarioWolf View Post
    It's official, They've done one thing that will probably won't work out anyways

Have to say that there will still whining from Boise State fans even though the teams that beats them out have a better record and tougher road there. I mean, I still have yet to see Boise State to have a tough road to a good record. Though I personally think that they did this since that they are sick and tired of an SEC team winning it every year even though they deserve it more.
    Welp, this is kinda good, but in no way is it perfect. There's no specification on whether you need to be a conference champion to be in, and if not then two teams from the same conference (cough cough SEC) makes it pretty imbalanced for everyone else. And I still doubt it would let a non-BCS conference team in, even if they were conference champions and/or undefeated. I wouldn't be surprised if/when it eventually becomes 8 teams instead of 4. They're expanding the slippery slope; first we had a championship game instead of polls, then 5 BCS games instead of 4, and now a +1 instead of the BCS.

My idealistic solution? Go 8-team playoff, all teams selected at-large (no automatic bids for any conference champs; solves the Big East+BCS problem). Use the committee process to select teams. No more than 2 teams per conference.

I have claimed Giratina

An exert from Michael Vick's book was released today talking about his past in Dog Fighting rings.

Also along with the off season this has been a strange one. Less than 3 weeks until the Pre-Season games start. Anyone planning their Fantasy teams yet?

In my league, I plan on keeping Tom Brady and the 49ers D, hoping for another great year. I want to build around underrated RBs and WRs after the third round. I allow two keepers per team, so 16 in all. I think there should be enough, but I'm anxious to see.

Manager of:

Watch the Power of Aura!

Thank god they payed my man Forte.... He's a cog in that offense and would be surely hurt if he was to hold out or something

Remember the days.....

Quote Originally Posted by CorkaCola View Post
    In my league, I plan on keeping Tom Brady and the 49ers D, hoping for another great year. I want to build around underrated RBs and WRs after the third round. I allow two keepers per team, so 16 in all. I think there should be enough, but I'm anxious to see.
    I think I'm gonna go McCoy if I get first pick over all in my draft

Quote Originally Posted by TerraWolf View Post
    I think I'm gonna go McCoy if I get first pick over all in my draft
    I'd say he's the safest pick. Arian Foster is probably my #1 but there is injury risk there.

In the college game, I eventually see a 16-team playoff that incorporates more of the bowls, with the most established bowls likely to be part of it.

In the NFL, the preseason is a few weeks away. Unlike last year, we will have a Hall of Fame Game to start out the preseason. The Pack are my preseason favorite to win the Super Bowl. I don't think my other team, the Browns have quite what it takes yet. If they had gotten Peyton Manning, I wouldn't have overlooked the Browns, but since that's not the case, I expect no better than an 8-8 record this season. It would still be best since 2007, and then in 2013 the Browns would finally be ready for postseason play.

Meanwhile, I'd like to see the number of college football games nationally televised on actual TV channels (not online services like ESPN3) to increase over the next couple years. Channels which aren't currently broadcasting games could do so eventually. Among the channels I'd like to watch CFB on are The Hub, Spike, The CW (MWC games), USA, MTV, and TNT. The Hub could use CFB especially since there's nothing like watching sports for a family gathering.
    -----

I could see TNT mainly because they also do NASCAR and NBA games, but the other channels at best do less popular sports.

Manager of:

Watch the Power of Aura!

DAMN Penn State just got wrecked.

Wins from 1998-2011 vacated, 4 year bowl ban, reduction of 25 scholarships for 4 years (or is it 5?), $60 million fine, and any player can transfer from Penn State and play IMMEDIATELY.
    FC: 1779-0800-2195
    My friend safari: Noibat, Gabite, Druddigon

I graduated from Pitt, so no PSU fan, I. That said, I feel really bad for the actual STUDENTS at PSU. A $60m fine and loss of 4 years worth of Bowl revenue? And Mark Emert (sp?) said that that fine doesn't have to come from the athletic department. I bet that jacks up tuition and lowers the quality of the education provided (which, granted, this is PSU so it's already pretty low. ). I don't care if the football program gets destroyed--it was their "Football First, Rape Victims Second" mentality that put them in this situation--but the students there might be about to get slammed.

Ah well. Moving on to more pleasant matters, I got my Fantasy Football league set up for the year. I'm the Colts of this league: in two years, I've been in first place all season long and then lost in the playoffs. This year, I'm already feeling grim. I draft 11th out of 12 (I was runner up last year), and my Keeper options aren't ideal (probably keeping Steve Smith for a 9th pick and Eli Manning for a 7th). I'm torn on whether I should keep Eli at all or just drop him back into the pool and hope to get a Brees/Brady/Rodgers guy at 11th (Cam Newton and Matt Stafford will both assuredly be kept by their owners from last year). If I drop Eli AND those three are all off the board, I'll feel like a schmuck, but if I keep Eli and have a chance to draft one of them, I might feel even worse.

Honestly, I would keep Eli. With younger, speedier options at WR, Eli can throw the ball more to Nicks and the NFL's 3rd-leading receiver in yards, Victor Cruz. However, if one of the three were to somehow become available, trade Eli for some other compensaion in a player you may not have drafted well in.

Manager of:

Watch the Power of Aura!

And since four years is the most time a player usually is in college, I don't expect any of PSU's freshman players to stay. They want to be able to play in a bowl between their freshman and senior years. Now on the radar for NCAA sanctions are the Miami Hurricanes. Need more info on that? Try this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Un...letics_scandal

I'm not into fantasy football myself, but I think Rodgers is a safe bet. This year, the Pack will return to the top of the NFL, and Rodgers will finally get his first home playoff win.
    Last edited by Pikachu Fan Number Nine; 24th July 2012 at 1:13 AM.
    -----

Am I the only one who is entirely sick and tired of players and teams crying about Roger Goodell when they get punished for doing something wrong? The NFL is making more money than ever under Goodell, all while trying to do what's best for everyone. And yet, every time a team gets in trouble for something, they throw a big baby temper tantrum like Goodell is oppressing them.

I have always loved and respected Drew Brees dating back to his days at Purdue, but I'm entirely sad to see him join know-nothing, classless morons like James Harrison and Ryan Clark by coming out and crying that "nobody trusts" Goodell. So let me get this straight, Drew: your entire defense took part in a disgusting bounty program in an attempt to celebrate injuring your peers, and I'm not supposed to "trust" Goodell because he handed down punishments over it? That's absolutely ridiculous.

I actually applaud Goodell for adopting unpopular stances that support the safety of the players. I know a lot of fans whine and cry about "flag football" or other nonsensical arguments, but watch games from last season: the NFL is just as fast and hard-hitting and exciting as it has always been. There are just rules in place now to guard against absolutely uncalled-for cheap shots that put peoples' lives and long-term health at risk. Do we really need another generation of players who are half-crippled in their 50's and 60's? Do we need even more cases of guys like Mike Webster, Justin Strelczyk, Chris Henry, and Junior Seau? We totally do not.

As for Goodell's stances on punishing players for moral conduct, I do actually get the argument against that, but I still disagree. Athletes dating back to Charles Barkley may think it is unfair to have the category of role model thrust upon them, but that's too bad. They are role models. And when players get involved in DUI or rape or domestic abuse, it hurts the image of the NFL, and that scares away potential endorsements (not that the NFL is hurting for money, I grant you that, but there's never a reason to alienate any possible advertisers). And when his league and his product is at stake, I don't have any problem with Goodell taking action to protect it.

Am I the only one who is entirely sick and tired of players and teams crying about Roger Goodell when they get punished for doing something wrong? The NFL is making more money than ever under Goodell, all while trying to do what's best for everyone. And yet, every time a team gets in trouble for something, they throw a big baby temper tantrum like Goodell is oppressing them.

I have always loved and respected Drew Brees dating back to his days at Purdue, but I'm entirely sad to see him join know-nothing, classless morons like James Harrison and Ryan Clark by coming out and crying that "nobody trusts" Goodell. So let me get this straight, Drew: your entire defense took part in a disgusting bounty program in an attempt to celebrate injuring your peers, and I'm not supposed to "trust" Goodell because he handed down punishments over it? That's absolutely ridiculous.

I actually applaud Goodell for adopting unpopular stances that support the safety of the players. I know a lot of fans whine and cry about "flag football" or other nonsensical arguments, but watch games from last season: the NFL is just as fast and hard-hitting and exciting as it has always been. There are just rules in place now to guard against absolutely uncalled-for cheap shots that put peoples' lives and long-term health at risk. Do we really need another generation of players who are half-crippled in their 50's and 60's? Do we need even more cases of guys like Mike Webster, Justin Strelczyk, Chris Henry, and Junior Seau? We totally do not.

As for Goodell's stances on punishing players for moral conduct, I do actually get the argument against that, but I still disagree. Athletes dating back to Charles Barkley may think it is unfair to have the category of role model thrust upon them, but that's too bad. They are role models. And when players get involved in DUI or rape or domestic abuse, it hurts the image of the NFL, and that scares away potential endorsements (not that the NFL is hurting for money, I grant you that, but there's never a reason to alienate any possible advertisers). And when his league and his product is at stake, I don't have any problem with Goodell taking action to protect it.
    I agree with you completely but I can't hate how Drew Brees is taking stand for his team and teammates. As the team leader I don't blame him for coming into defense with one of his teammates, it might not be the smartest thing to do but I still respect that.

Remember the days.....

Pay for performance and Pay to injure are two totally different things. Joe Vitt himslef said exactly what they had, a pay for performance system that rewarded players for game changing plays like INTs, fumbles, and huge sacks or hits. Not a single one of them went out to go and maim or hurt someone. And for those saying "Just listen to what Gregg Williams said", it has been been widely acknowledged not just by the Saints, but others teams he has been that it is nothing but talk. No one took his speeches literally for what they were. If someone told you to go out and "knock em' dead", you don't go out and kill someone. You just go out and and physically impose your will on them and make sure that if they try to beat you, you make them work their asses off for it. But every mouth breather in the world just blindly took Goodell's word for it and just said "Well he said this, so it must be true".

All of this is made funnier by the fact that over the years that this "Bounty" took place (2009-2011), the Saints were the least penalized team in the entire League each year. Meaning they aren't the "cheap shot artists and killers" like people are claiming them to be.

If you were wrongly accused of something, you don't just take it lying down, you stand up and fight to prove that someone is wrong. And from what the players are saying and doing, it pretty much looks like Goodell has screw the proverbial pooch on this one. Because when you take something to a court of law, you don't go if there is even a shred of evidence that could implicate you. Joe Vitt, under penalty of perjury, flat out said there was no "Bounty" program and also said he would take a lie detector in front of Goodell himself to prove it. Hargrove, Vilma, and Fujita all have categorically denied the existence of a "Bounty" program and have have gone to court to further defend themselves. You don't do those kind of things if there is even the slightest chance that you could be implicated.

Goodell just slapped the word "bounty" on it to protect the NFL's collective asses from players suing them right now. If all of this evidence was so irrefutable and condemning, then show it all. To call the evidence so far "flemsy" would be an understatement. If you can prove without a shadow of a doubt, that they were going out to injure and end other players careers, then show it. Because all your doing is slandering people's good names in an attempt to scapegoat them for something that pretty much every team does. These are good men who are being wrongly punished so that the NFL can say "Look what we did to the Saints! See? We DO care about player safety". Joe Vitt put it well "We were punished for the spoken word, not the clenched fist". People losing their livelihood for locker room talk is just idiotic.

What Drew was saying was that talking to the Commissioner is just a facade, because he already has his mind made up about how he is going to punish you, and appealing to him is useless because for him to overturn his own ruling makes him look incompetent.
    Last edited by deathseer; 1st August 2012 at 7:40 PM.
    My deviantArt

U mad bro?

I'm getting excited for the beginning of the season to start. I hope we get a Packers/Bears division race this year again like the 2010-11 season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

Eagles still have that horrible defense.. they seriously need to get it in gear I don't want to look at another humiliating season this year : (

Page 105 of 256 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155205 ... LastLast