Page 14 of 263 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL/NCAAF Thread

Well, as an SEC fan, how do you feel about Texas A&M SEC-eding from the Big 12? (Puns, gotta love em.)
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
    Well, as an SEC fan, how do you feel about Texas A&M SEC-eding from the Big 12? (Puns, gotta love em.)
    I would welcome them. They would spread the SEC westward and likely increase recruiting in the state of Texas for the entire SEC. If we are bringing them in, I think we need to bring in one more team as well.

"What good is it for a man to gain the world, yet forfeit his soul?"

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatersGreatGuardian View Post
    I would welcome them. They would spread the SEC westward and likely increase recruiting in the state of Texas for the entire SEC. If we are bringing them in, I think we need to bring in one more team as well.
    I agree with you. Since Missouri and Clemson are denying involvement, that leaves one rumoured school left: Florida State. As if the SEC weren't powerful enough already...
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

I agree with you. Since Missouri and Clemson are denying involvement, that leaves one rumoured school left: Florida State. As if the SEC weren't powerful enough already...
    FSU really brings nothing to the SEC imo. (btw I am a gator fan, so I am bias)
    They have a fanbase that is delusional to the extreme, and on top of that, they have trouble selling out their stadium.

Plus, I believe that current SEC teams have a say in who gets in, and can think of 2 schools right off the bat who would not want FSU. 1. Alabama, they do a fair amount of recruiting in the Florida panhandle. 2. Florida, this would obviously screw with their recruiting as well.

I seriously doubt FSU gets in. Honestly, I would rather leave the SEC as is. its tought enough already if we are going to add a team, kick Kentucky or Vandy out and put A & M in their place

I wouldn't kick out Kentucky, because they're good at basketball. (And believe me, the SEC needs all the help that they can get in basketball) If there were some way to trade out Vandy and bring in A&M, I'd do it. However, I do think that Florida State is a better fit geographically and competitively. Geographically, they're way more Southeast than A&M. Competitively, they have SEC rivals already, with Florida being the most notable. Plus, Florida State used to be in the hunt for a national title every year. They'll get back there soon enough.

A&M opens up the Texas market to the SEC as a whole. Still I'm not sure why they would want to go there to become mediocre; unless the Big XII is really a train wreak at this stage. Jealous of the Longhorns most likely.

And I really hope the SEC caps it at 14 at most.

I have claimed Giratina

Duh. Everyone in the Big 12 (10) are just jealous of Texas and Oklahoma. Sure, other teams would be able to compete for a year here and there (see 2003 Kansas State) but all will probably bail. Missouri was begging for that Big 10 (then 11, now 12) invite but were shouldered out of the way by Nebraska. Kansas was also looking to move to the Big 10 in football if I'm not mistaken. Colorado bailed for the Pac-12. That conference is just imploding right now, and I think that Texas A&M is making a smart move, jumping ship before the situation there gets really bad.

@thewatersgreatguardian your first paragraph sounds kentucky. Most of their fans here are rednecks. Most louisville fans are urban people. And, kick kentucky? While I'd be the first to say "heck yeah!", they bring in too much $ for the SEC in the basketball season, so dropping them would cost them during that season.

Atleast the Big East is getting TCU so far. Too bad they'll dominate the stinking conference...

Duh. Everyone in the Big 12 (10) are just jealous of Texas and Oklahoma.
    Oklahoma is pretty jealous of Texas as well. It's mainly because Texas is just bigger than everyone else and none of the other 9 teams in the conference like that. When you get your own network, others will probably start to become envious of you.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

There were even Oklahoma rumors. I think everyone in the big 12 thinks Texas now has a monopoly on the big 12 because of their new Longhorn Network

I have claimed Giratina

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser soze View Post
    Phew. Now we can all rest in peace, I think. I didn't want the college football world end up looking like this...

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1095334.html

Good. I like the SEC just how it is

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatersGreatGuardian View Post
    Good. I like the SEC just how it is
    Well, they said on ESPN that the only reason they didn't accept A&M was because they didn't have a second school joining with them. I guess they want to go with a 7/7 division split, not 6/7 like the MAC.

Imagine that, the SEC schools have a brain!

But seriously, I also have to wonder if the SEC is trying to not be "that guy" who brings down the conference alignments etc. by moving one Jenga piece. And of course the SEC wouldn't work with uneven divisions.

I have claimed Giratina

Duh. Everyone in the Big 12 (10) are just jealous of Texas and Oklahoma. Sure, other teams would be able to compete for a year here and there (see 2003 Kansas State) but all will probably bail. Missouri was begging for that Big 10 (then 11, now 12) invite but were shouldered out of the way by Nebraska. Kansas was also looking to move to the Big 10 in football if I'm not mistaken. Colorado bailed for the Pac-12. That conference is just imploding right now, and I think that Texas A&M is making a smart move, jumping ship before the situation there gets really bad.
    A&M will be moving from bad situation to bad situation.
    They will lose A LOT of money in a SEC move, and also they'll get their *** handed to them every year. Their primary goal is to get away from Texas; the hate that they expell towards the Burnt Orange is huge. Texas has been destroying that division for years with the help of Oklahoma. A&M had no chance (very little) of getting well known. The only way A&M can dig themselfs out of this hole is to beat Texas. Beating Texas for about 4-5 years would be enough to launch them to the high ranks of the Big 12.
    However, they plan on moving out, which means they can't play Texas on a regular basis. This means they can't prove to America that they are the better team in this state. This will hurt them in the long run.
    None of this is good for A&M; now they look (in plenty of peoples eye's here) like b*tches who want away from Texas. Now they thik that moving to a confrence that has opponents LIKE Texas will be better for them? They are asking for a boot up the *** aren't they?
    hook'em

Just saw that Hall-of-Fame Wide Receiver Pete Pihos died. He played for the Eagles and helped them win back-to-back championships in 1948 and 1949. My family has had at least one member go to every single Eagles home game since the franchise has started (and we have the tickets to prove it) so this really hit my great-uncle hard, who was at both of those championship games. Just thought I'd post that since it's been over a day since someone posted.

We're busy watching Miami get dragged through the mud.

I find it too early to talk about the death penalty though. That's all I have to say.

Instances in which the NCAA has issued the "death penalty."

1952-52 University of Kentucky Basketball: Repeated instances of point-shaving plus players being paid to play.

1973-75 (two seasons) University of Southwest Louisiana (now the University of Louisiana at Lafayette) Basketball: Academic fraud, recruting violations, improper financial assistance, allowing players to play with GPAs below NCAA standards, forging signatures.

1987-88 (two seasons) Southern Methodist University Football: Paying players for over a decade, not putting a stop to violations, violating probation multiple times. (The 1988 season was cancelled by the school, and there were many restricitions, including no home games, bans on bowl games and live TV extended, probation extension, loss of scholarships, limit on number of assistant coaches, and no off campus recruting.)

2003-05 (three seasons) Morehouse College (Division II) Soccer: Using players that had previously competed professionally, allowing players to compete without proper paperwork, lack of institutional control. (Morehouse cancelled the 2003 season on their own, and the NCAA banned them for the next two seasons. Also, their soccer program was removed. It remains intramural only.)

2004-07 (three seasons) MacMurray College (Division III) Men's Tennis: Offering scholarships to players from foreign countries. (Division III colleges are not allowed to give athletic schlorships) (The team played in one game in 2004 before cancelling the rest of the season. The NCAA banned them for the next two seasons, in addition to banning them from postseason play in 2008 and 2009.)

I don't think that the NCAA will give Miami the death penalty. The only other instance in NCAA football history is the SMU case, and that was where literally everyone knew about the players being payed and literally everyone at the university was doing it. In Miami's case, it was only one guy, so I don't think that they'll get the death penalty. However, they're probably going to get put on probation for a couple of years.
    Last edited by Phoopes; 18th August 2011 at 1:00 AM.

They had at least 72 players, at least, involved with this over several years. USC and Ohio State are being given bowl ineligibility and are having wins being taken away just because of an incident with one or only a few players. Miami is probably going to get a tremendously harsh penalty if these allegations are true.

But let's be honest, vacated wins don't mean s#!t. Imagine a family road trip where all the kids (schools) annoyingly ask "are we there yet?" (violations) and the dad (NCAA) says "if you sk 'are we there yet' one more time....." Miami is that kid who asks again, and is going to get it.

Biggest loser? Al Grough. You got to feel sorry for what he inherited.

I have claimed Giratina

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca R. View Post
    They had at least 72 players, at least, involved with this over several years. USC and Ohio State are being given bowl ineligibility and are having wins being taken away just because of an incident with one or only a few players. Miami is probably going to get a tremendously harsh penalty if these allegations are true.
    Yea, I'd say probation for at least 5 years (which would tied for longest probation time in NCAA history), lose 55 scholarships over 4 years (same as SMU), bowl ban for at least 3 years (USC's was two years, and this is far worse), and wins stripped from a few seasons, if not all between 2002-08.

Here I was getting pumped for ND-Miami at Soldier Field my senior year...

I have claimed Giratina

Wow, I'm not too sure what to believe (thanks sensationalism). However, the evidence will still stand and come back to rock miami (fl) like a hurricane. More than likely, they'll have to vacate those wins, possibly even their championship. However, when people go away possibly because of a wrong-doing, that looks rather shady...just ask john calipari.

UNC...now Miami...ITS ONE BIG CONSPIRACY IN THE ACC!!!

I doubt Miami will get the "death penalty". Way too large of a football program.
    Platinum FC: 3438 9213 7612
    White FC: 5372 3970 3594
    Black2 FC: 2280 4478 7008
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Homsar135

Page 14 of 263 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast