Page 169 of 256 FirstFirst ... 69119159165166167168169170171172173179219 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,225 of 6376

Thread: NFL/NCAAF Thread

Quote Originally Posted by John Madden View Post
    Yeah I'm kind of pissed their schedule's even easier this time around.

Like I have the feeling their talent level's going to wind up significantly higher than last year's (thanks to Dontre Wilson and Vonn Bell, among our other recruits from the South)... but since we're playing against a severely down Big Ten it's not going to show outside of the one or two teams that aren't complete garbage on a national level.

And don't even get me started on the OOCs; though Cal's not exactly our fault, we could've certainly done better than Florida A&M and whoever the hell else we're beating up on.

(...though if I have to be completely honest, I'm still shocked the 2012 team even finished 12-0 - I was expecting 9-3 at best with maybe a Rose Bowl run THIS year.)
    I feel the same way in regards to LSU's schedule this year. The schedule we had when we made our latest NC run was pretty amazing. The Oregon game was phenomenal as were most of the other OOC games. This year our hardest OOC is TCU at cowboy stadium which should be a win. Our other OOC's are Furman, UAB and Kent State with the 3 latter ones being agreed upon during Saban's time at LSU (I believe the deal was 2 meetings in 8 years). Our OOC schedule is easier by far than past years yet it feels the SEC schedule gets tougher and tougher. We have to go to UGA, Bama as well as both Ole Miss and Miss St. this year. Though Ole Miss and Arkansas suck they always find a way to make things interesting. Mostly due to the boneheaded mistakes of our fearless and somewhat crazy mad hatter leader. I had predicted at best a 9-3 season for us, but we could potentially win 10.

718/718 Pokemon caught as of 4/13/14
    Pokemon X FC: 2638-0594-6140
    Serebii.net Claims:
    -The Drill Pokemon, Nidoking

If Ohio State had been eligible last year it would have been them and Notre Dame, my two favorite teams. I still think ND should be a non-football member of the Big Ten rather than the ACC. The B1G is a stronger football conference, and is more geographically appropriate for the Irish. But apparently the B1G didn't want this set-up.

That being said, the secret to the SEC winning so many titles? They don't play enough out-of-conference games against power conference (ACC, B1G, Big 12, Pac-12, Notre Dame) schools in the regular season. if the SEC limited its non-conference schedule to such teams, they wouldn't have as good a chance at sending a team to the title game (or starting next year, the semifinals) as they do now. It would be much easier for SEC teams to accumulate 2 losses from non-conference and conference games combined.

As for Notre Dame's arrangement with the ACC, I think it's a mistake. By being in the B1G, ND can play Purdue and MSU every year and the other 12 B1G football teams would rotate onto ND's schedule such that every B1G team would get to play ND at leas once in a 4-year-cycle. Since the playoffs will have a different way of selecting teams from the BCS, I'd advise that ND and all power conference teams limit themselves to one game against a non-power conference team every year to have a better chance of getting into the semifinals. That would mean an end to the annual Navy-ND game, but I'm fine with that and besides it gives Navy 2 random slots they can fill each year instead of one.

With that out of the way, here are my BCS projections

Rose: UCLA VS. Nebraska* (rematch of Sept. 14 game)
    Sugar: Florida VS. Boise State*
    Fiesta: Kansas State VS. Louisville
    Orange: Clemson VS. Georgia* (rematch of season opener)
    NCG: Ohio State VS. Notre Dame* (the very matchup we were denied last year)
    * - at-large selection

And some non-BCS bowl projections:

Capital One - Alabama VS. Michigan State
    Kraft Fight Hunger - Utah VS. BYU
    Little Caesars Pizza - E. Michigan VS. Michigan
    Cotton - Texas VS. Texas A&M
    Last edited by Pikachu Fan Number Nine; 17th August 2013 at 3:18 AM.

If Ohio State had been eligible last year it would have been them and Notre Dame, my two favorite teams.
    C'mon, man - if Ohio State had been eligible last year it would've been Alabama and one of them, with emphasis on the word order there - both teams had atrocious scheduling and weak rosters and their best wins came against 2-loss teams or worse.
    last.fm
    facebook

OFFICIAL ATTACK HUCKSTER OF SPP
    If you see this sig in the debate forum, you're definitely doing something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu Fan Number Nine View Post
    If Ohio State had been eligible last year it would have been them and Notre Dame, my two favorite teams. I still think ND should be a non-football member of the Big Ten rather than the ACC. The B1G is a stronger football conference, and is more geographically appropriate for the Irish. But apparently the B1G didn't want this set-up.

That being said, the secret to the SEC winning so many titles? They don't play enough out-of-conference games against power conference (ACC, B1G, Big 12, Pac-12, Notre Dame) schools in the regular season. if the SEC limited its non-conference schedule to such teams, they wouldn't have as good a chance at sending a team to the title game (or starting next year, the semifinals) as they do now. It would be much easier for SEC teams to accumulate 2 losses from non-conference and conference games combined.

As for Notre Dame's arrangement with the ACC, I think it's a mistake. By being in the B1G, ND can play Purdue and MSU every year and the other 12 B1G football teams would rotate onto ND's schedule such that every B1G team would get to play ND at leas once in a 4-year-cycle. Since the playoffs will have a different way of selecting teams from the BCS, I'd advise that ND and all power conference teams limit themselves to one game against a non-power conference team every year to have a better chance of getting into the semifinals. That would mean an end to the annual Navy-ND game, but I'm fine with that and besides it gives Navy 2 random slots they can fill each year instead of one.
    Well, someone is in denial about their teams. P.S. Explain to me how SEC teams don't play tough OOC teams. When LSU made their championship run in 2011-2012 we played 9 ranked teams and ended up with an 8-1 record. We played Oregon as well as West Virginia that year. Auburn in 2010 beat 7 ranked teams including OOC Clemson. In both of their recent titles Florida beat 6 ranked teams beating ranked Florida State both times as an OOC. We play AND WIN against twice the amount of ranked teams that other conferences have in the BCS era and the Champions have always beaten out a strong OOC team each year. Your argument is invalid. Stop drinking the OSU/Notre Dame koolaid.

Serebii.net Claims:

Quote Originally Posted by KantoPkmnMaster View Post
    Well, someone is in denial about their teams. P.S. Explain to me how SEC teams don't play tough OOC teams. When LSU made their championship run in 2011-2012 we played 9 ranked teams and ended up with an 8-1 record. We played Oregon as well as West Virginia that year. Auburn in 2010 beat 7 ranked teams including OOC Clemson. In both of their recent titles Florida beat 6 ranked teams beating ranked Florida State both times as an OOC. We play AND WIN against twice the amount of ranked teams that other conferences have in the BCS era and the Champions have always beaten out a strong OOC team each year. Your argument is invalid. Stop drinking the OSU/Notre Dame koolaid.
    Don't try and reason with jealous SEC haters. There never is much logic behind their griping. Even if an SEC team doesn't have a tough OOC schedule, their conference schedule alone is more difficult than most other conference schedules. Not to mention the SEC championship game features the two best teams in the SEC going at it.

and btw, thanks for making my point about OSU's undefeated schedule last year. Its not quite as pretty when you look at how they got there. No one is saying OSU is a bad team, just not a championship team. Bama or Notre Dame would have beaten OSU. Notre Dame would have been a close game, but Bama would have squashed OSU especially since Urban seems to freeze when faced with Saban
    Last edited by Lugia's Chosen; 17th August 2013 at 6:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugia's Chosen View Post
    Don't try and reason with jealous SEC haters. There never is much logic behind their griping. Even if an SEC team doesn't have a tough OOC schedule, their conference schedule alone is more difficult than most other conference schedules. Not to mention the SEC championship game features the two best teams in the SEC going at it.

and btw, thanks for making my point about OSU's undefeated schedule last year. Its not quite as pretty when you look at how they got there. No one is saying OSU is a bad team, just not a championship team. Bama or Notre Dame would have beaten OSU. Notre Dame would have been a close game, but Bama would have squashed OSU especially since Urban seems to freeze when faced with Saban
    I agree completely with this statement with the exception of the Notre Dame close game. I had originally predicted a 28-3 win. Now i will say i was surprised that it got as out of hand as it did. I didn't think that the Bama offense was capable of running it up on them.

Serebii.net Claims:

So a quick recap - of Alabama's 3 NCG appearances in the last four years, the 2009 season's game was the only one they actually deserved to be in, having entered that game unbeaten (as did Texas, who soon became the first school to follow a BCS NCG appearance with a losing season). In 2011, Alabama didn't even win their conference, let alone division - Oklahoma State played a tougher schedule and the fact they were snubbed really hurt their performance the next season (although they did win their appearance in the 2012 Fiesta Bowl). And as you know last season, Alabama only got in because Ohio State couldn't be there.

Now on to the NFL.

My projections in the NFL as far as playoff seeds go are:

AFC:

1. New England
    2. Indianapolis
    3. Denver
    4. Baltimore
    5. Houston
    6. Miami

NFC:

1. Green Bay
    2. Carolina
    3. San Francisco
    4. Washington
    5. Atlanta
    6. Seattle

As far as how the playoffs will turn out? I'm only predicting a Green Bay win over New England in the Super Bowl.

So a quick recap - of Alabama's 3 NCG appearances in the last four years, the 2009 season's game was the only one they actually deserved to be in, having entered that game unbeaten (as did Texas, who soon became the first school to follow a BCS NCG appearance with a losing season). In 2011, Alabama didn't even win their conference, let alone division - Oklahoma State played a tougher schedule and the fact they were snubbed really hurt their performance the next season (although they did win their appearance in the 2012 Fiesta Bowl). And as you know last season, Alabama only got in because Ohio State couldn't be there.

Now on to the NFL.

AFC:

1. New England
    2. Indianapolis
    3. Denver
    4. Baltimore
    5. Houston
    6. Miami

NFC:

1. Green Bay
    2. Carolina
    3. San Francisco
    4. Washington
    5. Atlanta
    6. Seattle

As far as how the playoffs will turn out? I'm only predicting a Green Bay win over New England in the Super Bowl.
    Once again. You need to stop drinking the Ohio State koolaid kiddo. You're also insane to think that Miami is a playoff team, even if it is a wildcard slot. You're also crazy to put Carolina in that mix. Ahead of San Fran? San Fran brings back practically everybody and is even better this year. A logical choice would be Denver v. San Francisco.

Serebii.net Claims:

I, too, can see everything except Carolina and Miami. I don't think either of them had a winning season last year (correct me if I'm wrong). I could see the Bengals in the AFC, and MAYBE the Lions on the NFC. Sticking my neck out for the Lions.
    Thanks to FairyWitch for the profile pic!

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

National Dex Completed 2/13/2014, at 12:12 A.M., with 212:16 Game Time, and thanks to my friends who traded me over 200 times that week

Notice in the NFC South how every team except Carolina has 3 division titles since the division's creation, whereas Carolina has 2? With that logic, and the fact that Cam Newton is a rising star, I believe it is Carolina's turn to win the NFC South this year. They finished only 2 games under .500 last year though this was mainly because of a 4-game win streak to close the season.

Miami should also get in too, they didn't do too terribly last season, I think they had a 7-9 record like Carolina did. Believe me, Miami is on the rise (not the Heat, they are already there).

Hmmmmm. I'll keep those two under close watch, but I don't think this is either of their year. I have hope for Carolina, but I'm not too optimistic. Granted, I like Carolina, but...too many let downs the past few years.

As for Miami, they have a chance, but their division is very strong, so it may come down to a Wild Card or Cinderella for 'em.

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

National Dex Completed 2/13/2014, at 12:12 A.M., with 212:16 Game Time, and thanks to my friends who traded me over 200 times that week

I'm curious as to why New Orleans didn't make his list given they can't possibly have a worse defense than they did last year coupled with Sean Payton coming back. I'm thinking 10-6 11-5 record this year if lucky.

Serebii.net Claims:

After a year gone, they have to readjust, you should probably expect a 6-10 record. I also hate the Saints, lol.

New Orleans will finish 9-7 at best. They're not the same team that won 41 games (regular season and postseason) between 2009-11. Perhaps their not-so-good performance last year was probably a result of Super Bowl Host Syndrome - which explains why most teams whose stadium hosts the Super Bowl in a given year miss the playoffs that year. In each of the last 12 seasons especially, the team whose stadium hosted the Super Bowl that year missed the playoffs. Look what happened to the Colts in 2011. I'm invoking this curse in predicting the Giants and Jets miss out this year.

New Orleans will finish 9-7 at best. They're not the same team that won 41 games (regular season and postseason) between 2009-11. Perhaps their not-so-good performance last year was probably a result of Super Bowl Host Syndrome - which explains why most teams whose stadium hosts the Super Bowl in a given year miss the playoffs that year. In each of the last 12 seasons especially, the team whose stadium hosted the Super Bowl that year missed the playoffs. Look what happened to the Colts in 2011. I'm invoking this curse in predicting the Giants and Jets miss out this year.
    It's a good thing i'm not a Saints fan, though i disagree that it's a rebuilding year. I just go with whatever team Payton Manning is on. Giants probably will make it by the skin of their teeth, Jets will definitely miss out with what i'm predicting will probably be a 5 win season. P.S. I don't believe in superstition. The aforementioned syndrome, the Madden curse, etc.

Serebii.net Claims:

NY Giants fan here
    I love my Umbreon!

Pokemon: White Version 2- Start date: 8/17/2013

Current Unova Team:
    1) "Boo Boo" the Dewott LVL 29 MALE

2) "Riley" the Lucario LVL 29 MALE

3) "Damien" the Growlithe LVL 29 MALE

4) "Patricia" the Lilligant LVL 29 FEMALE

5) "Evan" the Espeon LVL 30 MALE

6) "Lady Dovey" the Pidove LVL 15 FEMALE

Badges: 3

Now on to the NFL.

AFC:

1. New England
    2. Indianapolis
    3. Denver
    4. Baltimore
    5. Houston
    6. Miami

NFC:

1. Green Bay
    2. Carolina
    3. San Francisco
    4. Washington
    5. Atlanta
    6. Seattle

Carolina should be switched with Seattle or Atlanta. Also there is no way Washington is getting the NFC east RGIII will not stay healthy.

I'm making a fantasy football league 3 spots open somebody wanna join? (on nfl.com)
    PM me your email adress.

Quote Originally Posted by Comebhax View Post
    Carolina should be switched with Seattle or Atlanta. Also there is no way Washington is getting the NFC east RGIII will not stay healthy.
    Agreed. Part of me wants to see the Redskins do better than they did last year, but i think with RGIII healthy a 9-7 season / 8-8 w/e they were last year is the ceiling. They have so many problems on both sides of the ball and RGIII is playing with fire when he plays the way he does. The Giants will probably win the East this year. At least i hope they or the Skins do, because i hate Philly and hate the dallas bandwagon cowboys with a passion.

Serebii.net Claims:

Quote Originally Posted by KantoPkmnMaster View Post
    I agree completely with this statement with the exception of the Notre Dame close game. I had originally predicted a 28-3 win. Now i will say i was surprised that it got as out of hand as it did. I didn't think that the Bama offense was capable of running it up on them.
    ND fan here, as you can imagine I was eating crow after that game. Honestly thought we were going to lose 20-17. Our defense was manhandled. I still don't know if our front 7 was just heavily overrated or if they didn't show up. Te'o got trucked so many times, he looked as nonexistent as his girlfriend out there.
    ...alright, that was uncalled for. XD

And this year's another season of Tommy Turnover, which is just great. /sarcasm

As for NFL, I'll go with either the Pats or the Seahawks to win it all. Divisions:
    AFC South: Texans (my team)
    AFC North: Bengals
    AFC East: Patriots
    AFC West: Denver

NFC South: Saints
    NFC North: Packers
    NFC West: Seahawks
    NFC East: Eagles

I think the Packers could be in for a down year for some reason. I think their offensive line is a little suspect.
    I'm guessing you guys will disagree with me picking the Eagles in the NFC East, but I think their offense could be tough. Both Vick and Foles have looked good (granted, it's the preseason).
    Also guessing I'll get some skeptics over picking the Bengals in the AFC North, but I feel like it's possible if Dalton is a little better this year.

I think the Seahawks win the Super Bowl, over the Patriots.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennis_kid View Post
    As for NFL, I'll go with either the Pats or the Seahawks to win it all. Divisions:
    AFC South: Texans (my team)
    AFC North: Bengals
    AFC East: Patriots
    AFC West: Denver

NFC South: Saints
    NFC North: Packers
    NFC West: Seahawks
    NFC East: Eagles
    Only divisions I somewhat disagree with you on are the AFC East and the NFC South. The Bills are going to probably at least put up a good fight. Pats receiving core is almost all new, Brady will be adjusting for a bit. Though if the Pats have a good run game, that won't be as much of a factor.

Saints will contend in the NFC-S. But I honestly only see a WC for them. Payton isn't going to be able to do THAT much for inspiration.. they'll make it into the playoffs, I think, but the Falcons seem poised for another 10+ win season and to win the division.

Based on the preseason (which really means next to nothing :P ) I think the Eagles, Redskins, and Giants will duke out the 3-way duel this year. Eagles edge it out, Giants and Skins' face an all to familiar late season backs to the wall game situation. Cowboys ain't going anywhere this year. Skins will probably make it with the other NFC-WC spot. Niners might even knock both G-men and Skins out last week or two of season, like the Vikings did to Giants last season.

Who let the Eagles in this discussion!? They need time to adjust (as do the Saints), and I don't see either making the Playoffs. Now, don't get me wrong, I think Chip Kelly is a fantastic coach (Go Ducks!), but this is the NFL now.

If Chip Kelly's trying to bring his system into the NFL I don't think it's going to work. Other teams will know how he coaches from what they've seen from him at Oregon.
    FC: 1779-0800-2195
    My friend safari: Noibat, Gabite, Druddigon

Quote Originally Posted by jt_da_trainer View Post
    Only divisions I somewhat disagree with you on are the AFC East and the NFC South. The Bills are going to probably at least put up a good fight. Pats receiving core is almost all new, Brady will be adjusting for a bit. Though if the Pats have a good run game, that won't be as much of a factor.

Saints will contend in the NFC-S. But I honestly only see a WC for them. Payton isn't going to be able to do THAT much for inspiration.. they'll make it into the playoffs, I think, but the Falcons seem poised for another 10+ win season and to win the division.

Based on the preseason (which really means next to nothing :P ) I think the Eagles, Redskins, and Giants will duke out the 3-way duel this year. Eagles edge it out, Giants and Skins' face an all to familiar late season backs to the wall game situation. Cowboys ain't going anywhere this year. Skins will probably make it with the other NFC-WC spot. Niners might even knock both G-men and Skins out last week or two of season, like the Vikings did to Giants last season.
    ...Uh, I have no idea how, but I totally forgot the Falcons existed. So yeah, they should win their division again. Total derp on my part, sorry.
    I do think the Saints will win 10 games, which should get them a wild card spot. I think Chuck Pagano showed how much a good coach can motivate a team last year.

I don't think the Bills are there quite yet. I'm not totally sold on EJ Manuel at QB, and I will never, ever bet against Tom Brady, receivers or no receivers. :P

I'm really torn on the NFC East because all of those four teams have a decent shot at winning it, although the Cowgirls are probably a long shot. The Giants just seem inconsistent and rely on Manning too much, and the Redskins are too vulnerable with RGIII. Cousins was really good in backup duty last season if I remember correctly, though I think he's hurt?

Quote Originally Posted by ebevan91 View Post
    If Chip Kelly's trying to bring his system into the NFL I don't think it's going to work. Other teams will know how he coaches from what they've seen from him at Oregon.
    Just because he ran a system doesn't mean he will run it exactly and the relative term is Exactly like he did in College Football. Good coaches are able to make adjustments and plan for any situation. Though i will agree with you, i don't think he is long for the NFL.

Serebii.net Claims:

Quote Originally Posted by Tennis_kid View Post
    ...Uh, I have no idea how, but I totally forgot the Falcons existed. So yeah, they should win their division again. Total derp on my part, sorry.
    I do think the Saints will win 10 games, which should get them a wild card spot. I think Chuck Pagano showed how much a good coach can motivate a team last year.

I don't think the Bills are there quite yet. I'm not totally sold on EJ Manuel at QB, and I will never, ever bet against Tom Brady, receivers or no receivers. :P

I'm really torn on the NFC East because all of those four teams have a decent shot at winning it, although the Cowgirls are probably a long shot. The Giants just seem inconsistent and rely on Manning too much, and the Redskins are too vulnerable with RGIII. Cousins was really good in backup duty last season if I remember correctly, though I think he's hurt?
    Pssshhh. Y'all crazy. Bucs all the way baby!!!! :P

Page 169 of 256 FirstFirst ... 69119159165166167168169170171172173179219 ... LastLast