Page 211 of 255 FirstFirst ... 111161201207208209210211212213214215221 ... LastLast
Results 5,251 to 5,275 of 6375

Thread: NFL/NCAAF Thread

I was gonna watch some more highlights on all the games today that I missed, but im dozing off im going to bed....

My Friend Code for my 3ds! My friend Safari Type is Poison
    1693 1038 1902

Quote Originally Posted by Lugia's Chosen View Post
    Didn't the chiefs nearly go winless last year though? Tough choice between ried and kelly
    Well they won two games, but the eagles only won 4. The chiefs also lost a lot of close games. They both are definitely the most deserving right now, But I'm also pretty biased. It's interesting that it is coming down to those two though. I guess sean payton also deserves some recognition too though. The saints ended up winning 7 last year, but they were a lot worse than that really.
    My first shiny ever caught!

Named Admiral Sentret

The Lions/Eagles game would have been a lot closer if it wasn't for the blizzard. All those fumbles cost the Lions a lot of potential points.
    oopsie

You don't know that, and the Lions have had problems holding onto the football since the Dallas game, for whatever reason. They have to be leading the league in turnovers by a wide margin at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Latias View Post
    You don't know that, and the Lions have had problems holding onto the football since the Dallas game, for whatever reason. They have to be leading the league in turnovers by a wide margin at this point.
    you still have to wonder a game not played in those horrible conditions would turn out
    oopsie

Quote Originally Posted by Zenotwapal View Post
    you still have to wonder a game not played in those horrible conditions would turn out
    Not really. The lions are pretty one dimensional (as I said before, they're the passing version of the vikings with calvin johnson being adrian peterson) whereas Philly, albeit an average team with an atrocious defence, still has more than one person they can hand the ball to for yards. Easiest comparison to these two teams is darth maul to general grievous in Star Wars.

Also, on the whole "coach of the year topic", I personally think Ron Rivera deserves it over Reid and Kelly. At the beginning of the year, pretty much everyone thought that the Saints were going to win their division by a significant margin (due to it consisting of a depleted falcons team, the bucs, and a "dark horse" panthers team). 13 weeks in, and while the falcons/bucs remain in the basement, the panthers have managed to legitimately challenge the saints, and the rest of the conference, for a playoff spot. Yes, their defence is doing most of the work and yes, Cam Newton has had a bunch of horrible games this year, but the fact that we're even talking about the Panthers getting a playoff spot has to merit some credit for Rivera. Not only that, but he's arguably had a "tougher" time getting his wins due to the chiefs having one of the easiest schedules in the league and the eagles having much more talent offensively. In the long-run though, it'll probably be awarded to whichever one of these teams makes the playoffs as they almost never hand out awards to people that don't nowadays (see: Drew Brees for last year's MVP award).
    ~Currently own: X and Y (4597-0364-2569), current 6th gen OU record: 199W/44L/6D-, UU record: 31W/0L/4D
    NXT fan, RU supporter, and steam enthusiast.

The Lions/Eagles game would have been a lot closer if it wasn't for the blizzard. All those fumbles cost the Lions a lot of potential points.
    And Foles wouldn't have thrown that interception that led to a tpuchdown for the lions. Detroit has played a ton of games in green bay and chicago, weather can't be the only excuse for it. They always seem to make a lot of mistakes when it counts.

Named Admiral Sentret

Detroit just isn't that good of a team. This is what I was telling you guys last week when so many insisted they should have been #10 on my list (though Indy was probably a miss on my part, too. Should have went with Arizona or Dallas). Detroit's going to win their putrid division and then get blasted in the first round by SF or NO/Carolina.

To be honest, I think you guys might be underselling Philly, too. They are actually a darn good team right now.

No top ten list for the week yet. I haven't decided on whether or not Dallas deserves a spot, and I'll need to scout them tonight.

Sid87's Gen 6 Igloo Shop!

FC: 3823-9867-2750

I don't believe that. In the playoffs, anything can happen, and on any given day, any team could beat another team. If the playoffs were that predictable, the #1 teams in each conference would face each other every single year, and from what I've seen, it rarely works out that way. I mean, did anybody seriously expect Baltimore to win the Super Bowl last year? Or the Giants the year before? For all we know, Detroit could get hot in the playoffs and go farther than anybody expected. And quite frankly, I think they might be due for a winning streak, considering their last "real" one was early 2011. It's no sure bet they'll be one and done again.
    I do agree that they don't belong in the upper echelons of the NFL, however, and that they're merely profiting on a very weak, injury-depleted NFC North. They're too young/inexperienced, too inconsistent, and have a few other needs. Maybe they need a new Head Coach, too, like that Stanford guy. I don't know.

As far as I'm concerned, whatever happens is a win-win situation. They make the playoffs, good. They don't make the playoffs, the coaching staff probably gets fired, and maybe somebody else will do better.
    Last edited by Golden_Latias; 9th December 2013 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid87 View Post
    Detroit just isn't that good of a team. This is what I was telling you guys last week when so many insisted they should have been #10 on my list (though Indy was probably a miss on my part, too. Should have went with Arizona or Dallas). Detroit's going to win their putrid division and then get blasted in the first round by SF or NO/Carolina.

To be honest, I think you guys might be underselling Philly, too. They are actually a darn good team right now.

No top ten list for the week yet. I haven't decided on whether or not Dallas deserves a spot, and I'll need to scout them tonight.
    The problem with philly, from what I've seen over the past few years, is that they're heavily streak-based and nowhere near what I'd call "consistent". Last year, they won 4 straight before dropping their next twelve games. This year they started 3-0 before taking a 4 game skid. While many will point fingers at their offense and their inability to generate consistent points, much like the lions, I blame their always-horrid defense. If Philly had an average defense (like New Orleans', for example), then they'd at least have something to fall back on should their offense fail (think carolina's 10-9 victory over san fran) Since they don't though, they fall into the same category as Dallas, Kansas City, Detroit, and Chicago right now, in that the ice could metaphorically crack beneath them and they could easily lose all their remaining games to end the year, not making the playoffs.

Also, since he chose not to do a top 10, I'm doing my playoff predictions with two weeks to go:

NFC: East- Dallas (ties with Philly, wins due to divisional record), North- Chicago, South- New Orleans (finishes out season with a 13-3 record, clinching best record in conference), West- Seattle (also has a 13-3 record to end season, abuses homefield advantage throughout playoffs), two wild-cards- Carolina and Arizona (San Fran probably collapsing, much like dallas has done every year)

AFC: East- Patriots (clinch a bye, collapsing much like arizona did last year), North- Bengals, South*- Colts (already clinched division, because the south had to have TWO teams go on massive losing streaks this year), West*- Broncos (can clinch next week with a win and a chiefs loss, a +170 point differential is scary, much like their heavily over-rated defense), two wild-cards- Kansas City and San Diego (Kansas city has too big of a lead to blow it this year, San Diego has a bunch of home games remaining and a pretty easy schedule, should be fun to watch as they had amazing games vs Denver and KC)
    ~Currently own: X and Y (4597-0364-2569), current 6th gen OU record: 199W/44L/6D-, UU record: 31W/0L/4D

Quote Originally Posted by Mye View Post
    NFC: East- Dallas (ties with Philly, wins due to divisional record), North- Chicago, South- New Orleans (finishes out season with a 13-3 record, clinching best record in conference), West- Seattle (also has a 13-3 record to end season, abuses homefield advantage throughout playoffs), two wild-cards- Carolina and Arizona (San Fran probably collapsing, much like dallas has done every year)
    Please go back and pick another team. The Bears don't do well when people are picking them to win stuff. >.>

So Gronkowski is for sure out and RGIII might not start.

The NFL is a ****in' weird place.

99% of teens like 1 directon... put this in ur sig if you dont (started by blazeing man)

Quote Originally Posted by HoboJak View Post
    Please go back and pick another team. The Bears don't do well when people are picking them to win stuff. >.>
    Well the Bears better do well tonight. I really need Dallas to lose.

It’s hard for me to really judge anything about the Eagles from the last game for a few reasons: I didn’t see the game, the snow conditions, and the Lions breakdown. So I’m not really sure what to take away from it. But it can’t be a coincidence that Philadelphia improved from general mediocrity to an actual playoff contender just as soon as its offense improved (granted, a LOT of this is due to the the Redskins and Giants being terrible, I'll admit). The Eagles defense, meanwhile, hasn’t given up any more than 21 points since September so I definitely don’t think they’re a problem now.

Also, @Mye, I think your statements regarding the Eagles' 2012-13 season are a little wrong. The Eagles did NOT have a 4-game winning streak last season. They won the first two games (Cleveland Browns, 17-16; Baltimore Ravens, 24-23), lost the third, won the fourth (New York Giants, 19-17), and then only won one more some time after that (Bucs, 23-21... I think?). And anyone could see even in the games they did win that they were struggling, and that their wins were more due to mistakes made on the opposing teams (chiefly, the Ravens and Giants) than anything else. The Eagles were pretty consistent... consistently awful, but consistent.

^ Sounds like Detroit last year. Only had four wins, and of those four wins, two were comebacks and therefore nothing more than luck, one was an overtime win against your Eagles which IIRC was also a lucky comeback, and one was a convincing win... against arguably the worst team in the NFL last year. However, aside from a bad home game against Atlanta and the debacle in Arizona, all of their losses were by 10 points or less. I just looked up Philly's season, and they were getting blown out in a lot of their games.

Yet Philly has gotten MUCH better after last year, while Detroit pretty much resembles the Packers of the early 90's and, if anything, hasn't improved at all and was either unlucky last year or is getting lucky this year (probably both). I think Chip Kelly might be 100% responsible for Philly's improvement, actually. That's the difference between the two teams' major changes in the offseason, though I'm not sure about Philly's draft picks or free agent acquisitions.
    Last edited by Golden_Latias; 10th December 2013 at 1:14 AM.

^ Sounds like Detroit last year. Only had four wins, and of those four wins, two were comebacks and therefore nothing more than luck, one was an overtime win against your Eagles which IIRC was also a lucky comeback, and one was a convincing win... against arguably the worst team in the NFL last year. However, aside from a bad home game against Atlanta and the debacle in Arizona, all of their losses were by 10 points or less. I just looked up Philly's season, and they were getting blown out in a lot of their games.

Yet Philly has gotten MUCH better after last year, while Detroit pretty much resembles the Packers of the early 90's and, if anything, hasn't improved at all and was either unlucky last year or is getting lucky this year (probably both). I think Chip Kelly might be 100% responsible for Philly's improvement, actually. That's the difference between the two teams' major changes in the offseason, though I'm not sure about Philly's draft picks or free agent acquisitions.
    See, for me I don't exactly see how he's done anything better. Yes, they have a better record than last year however we're referring to a team that quite literally didn't try at all last year, then suddenly gained a ton of motivation after Reid kept winning games in KC and "Mister Pet Friendly" Vick got replaced by a draft pick. If the eagles make the playoffs this year, they'll be doing it via rushing and rushing alone (similar to what happened last year with Minny). Foles and Kelly account for a small percentage of the eagles' wins this year, in reality the reason they're winning games is because Lesean McCoy leads the league in carries (261) and their horrible defence is going above and beyond their peripherals.

This game makes me so glad that two out of three of Chicago's next games are on the road. They have such an unfair advantage at home, since most NFL teams aren't used to playing in cold weather.

Is anyone going to call that Chicago gets a second wind and wins out while Detroit chokes the division away, because they're Detroit and would do something like that? Aside from that person above?

Dallas can't stop a ****ing soul with this scrub Defense they have out there

Injuries have plagued them all year. We need a solid defensive draft this coming off season to get some depth.
    oopsie

The Bears and Packers are still in the NFC North race with their backup quarterbacks.....Just win Lions. Please don't choke away the division....
    Last edited by NintendoFan82; 10th December 2013 at 4:26 AM.

1693 1038 1902

How bout them Cowboys?

and that horrible defense... wow. It makes me appreciate having Rex Ryan as my team's coach.

This game makes me so glad that two out of three of Chicago's next games are on the road. They have such an unfair advantage at home, since most NFL teams aren't used to playing in cold weather.

Is anyone going to call that Chicago gets a second wind and wins out while Detroit chokes the division away, because they're Detroit and would do something like that? Aside from that person above?
    Oh boo-hoo. The superbowl is going to be in cold weather too, I guess we can just make the same lame excuse for whoever loses that game. The Bears outplayed the Cowboys today, that's why they're winning; not because "it's cold outside".

The Texans are a dumpster fire this season, and the Cowboys aren't any better....I remember so many people in the offseason talking about the Texans so highly, and hyping them up...

1693 1038 1902

Unfair advantage? Get over it, it's football. Teams have been playing in bad weather almost a century. Ever heard of tge ice bowl? If they can't handle a little cold or snow, get out of the league.

Named Admiral Sentret

Quote Originally Posted by NintendoFan82 View Post
    The Texans are a dumpster fire this season, and the Cowboys aren't any better....I remember so many people in the offseason talking about the Texans so highly, and hyping them up...
    Except the Cowboys can actually move the ball without turning the ball over? And have good QB play?

You have to give the offense credit. The only reason why the Cowboys have 7 wins this year is because of their offense.
    oopsie

Except the Cowboys can actually move the ball without turning the ball over? And have good QB play?

You have to give the offense credit. The only reason why the Cowboys have 7 wins this year is because of their offense.
    And the reason they have 6 losses this year is because Romo can't decide which quarterback he wants to be. Well, that and their defense is a clone of the one the redskins/eagles/giants are using this season.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboJak View Post
    Oh boo-hoo. The superbowl is going to be in cold weather too, I guess we can just make the same lame excuse for whoever loses that game. The Bears outplayed the Cowboys today, that's why they're winning; not because "it's cold outside".
    Cold weather does have an effect on the game, you know. It affects the size and texture of the football. In the cold, the players' bones, joints, and muscles are more contracted. Warm-weather teams like Dallas can't prepare for that; they're in Dallas, there's no cold weather in Dallas (usually). The Chicago Bears players experience that just by walking to their cars every morning. They're used to it, they practice in it, they can play in it. So can GB and Pittsburgh and Buffalo and all the other cold-weather teams in undomed stadiums.
    I'm not going to be stupid and say the weather is the only reason Chicago won, I'm just saying it helps. Perhaps saying they have an unfair advantage was going a bit far, and I apologize for that, however.

Meh. Oh well. Let Detroit take care of business on its own instead of relying on other teams to gift the playoffs to them even more than they've already been gifted them. It's good for them. And I stand by my prediction. Detroit wins out and wins the division at 10-6. Baltimore, Giants, and Minny don't scare me at all.
    Last edited by Golden_Latias; 10th December 2013 at 5:24 AM.

Page 211 of 255 FirstFirst ... 111161201207208209210211212213214215221 ... LastLast