Page 212 of 248 FirstFirst ... 112162202208209210211212213214215216222 ... LastLast
Results 5,276 to 5,300 of 6197

Thread: NFL/NCAAF Thread

Anyone who thinks weather doesn't play a big part in football must be pretty delusional. I use to play football in highschool I actually know what it's like playing football in rain, snow, and high wind. The colder it is the more it hurts out there when you get hit. Rain makes it so hard to throw the ball, and even hold onto the football...High wind sucks to play in, and it effects the kicking game, and passing greatly.....
    Last edited by NintendoFan82; 10th December 2013 at 6:28 AM.

My Friend Code for my 3ds! My friend Safari Type is Poison
    1693 1038 1902

As a Dallas Cowboys fan, it's tough. The whole organization from top to bottom really needs to be gutted. (Except for Demarco Murray, Jason Witten, DeMarcus Ware, Sean Lee, and Dez Bryant) It's especially tough when it just seems like there is no heart at all on the field. And even if the Cowboys are at their best, it normally results in a .500 season. It sucks having a team be mediocre for so long that the draft doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboJak View Post
    Oh boo-hoo. The superbowl is going to be in cold weather too, I guess we can just make the same lame excuse for whoever loses that game. The Bears outplayed the Cowboys today, that's why they're winning; not because "it's cold outside".
    If you dont think cold weather is a factor then youre a fool. Some teams are used to that because of their home fields. Some quarterbacks cant play that well in cold and windy conditions. Fortunately for New England, Brady excels in cold weather

3DS FC: 3067 - 5438 - 9132

Quote Originally Posted by Goukazaru51 View Post
    As a Dallas Cowboys fan, it's tough. The whole organization from top to bottom really needs to be gutted. (Except for Demarco Murray, Jason Witten, DeMarcus Ware, Sean Lee, and Dez Bryant) It's especially tough when it just seems like there is no heart at all on the field. And even if the Cowboys are at their best, it normally results in a .500 season. It sucks having a team be mediocre for so long that the draft doesn't help.
    I'd rather lose the remaining games this season than once again narrowly miss the playoffs and one again draft at around 18th-19th.

But unfortunately most of the NFL is dog **** this year so even if they finished 7-9 their drafting position won't be that great.
    Platinum FC: 3268 7322 8943
    HeartGold FC: 3698 1539 4947
    White 2 FC: 3612 1944 2721
    3DS FC: 1779-0800-2195
    IGN: ebev91
    My friend safari: Noibat, Gabite, Druddigon
    Pokemon X National Dex: 717/718 (Only need JIRACHI)

1. Seattle Seahawks. Lost a close, hard-fought road game against a really good 49ers team in a game that meant a LOT more to the 49ers than it did to Seattle. Still #1.

2. Denver Broncos. Well, they're back to blowing the doors off of people, and Peyton seems to have a cold weather chip on his shoulder.

3. New England Patriots. Losing Gronk badly hinders their playoff outlook this season. And they should not have struggled that mightily with the Browns. But still... it shows guts and heart and quality to win that game.

4. Carolina Panthers. I actually still trust this team more than the Saints right now. The Saints are unstoppable at home, but they won't play more than 1 game there, if that, in the playoffs. The Panthers can win anywhere.

5. New Orleans Saints. Winning big in New Orleans is ho-hum for them. Let's see what they do in two weeks in Carolina.

6. San Franciso 49ers. They really needed that win on Sunday, and an aging Frank Gore strapped the team on his back and carried them through. How many more time in his career (or heck, this year) can he do that?

7. Philadelphia Eagles. Another win with Nick Foles. This team is the Carolina Panthers of a few weeks ago: rally good and still somewhat under the radar.

8. Kansas City Chiefs. That was the kind of win they needed earlier in the year to get respect. Where did this offensive explosion come from the last 4 weeks? The defense held the Redskins, too, but... who couldn't this year?

9. Cincinnati Bengals. Badly beat a Colts team to take an edge on the #3 seed in the AFC. Don't look now, but if the Patriots slip up without Gronk the Bengals could end up with a first round bye.

10. Arizona Cardinals. They have to be petitioning the NFL for a transfer to the NFC North or anywhere in the AFC.

Sid87's Gen 6 Igloo Shop!

FC: 3823-9867-2750

Quote Originally Posted by NintendoFan82 View Post
    The Texans are a dumpster fire this season, and the Cowboys aren't any better....I remember so many people in the offseason talking about the Texans so highly, and hyping them up...
    Texans are pretty awful. Pretty sure that once they hit 8 in a row, they just gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by NintendoFan82 View Post
    Anyone who thinks weather doesn't play a big part in football must be pretty delusional. I use to play football in highschool I actually know what it's like playing football in rain, snow, and high wind. The colder it is the more it hurts out there when you get hit. Rain makes it so hard to throw the ball, and even hold onto the football...High wind sucks to play in, and it effects the kicking game, and passing greatly.....
    No one said it doesn't play a part, but to say it is some kind of unfair advatange is ridiculous. Foles played in texas in high school and then arizona at college. He didny play on one bad weather game before Sunday. All players know they will usually end up at least playing in one fairly bad weather game per year. The sport starts in late summer and goes through the middle of winter. There is going to always be bad weather and you deal with it. Having said that, I don't think the super bowl being in bad wrather is a good idea because it is me at to be entirely neutral with no outside factors affecting the game.
    My first shiny ever caught!

Named Admiral Sentret

Quote Originally Posted by yuoke View Post
    No one said it doesn't play a part, but to say it is some kind of unfair advatange is ridiculous. Foles played in texas in high school and then arizona at college. He didny play on one bad weather game before Sunday. All players know they will usually end up at least playing in one fairly bad weather game per year. The sport starts in late summer and goes through the middle of winter. There is going to always be bad weather and you deal with it. Having said that, I don't think the super bowl being in bad wrather is a good idea because it is me at to be entirely neutral with no outside factors affecting the game.
    I know no one said that.....I was just saying...Just saying what I wanted to say. Anyone who thinks weather doesn't play a big part in football is delusional in my opinion. I didn't call out any of you posters by username, I wasn't even calling anyone out.

As a football player you gotta be prepared to play in any kind of weather especially when your in professional football. In college it just depends were you go to school at. If you play for Alabama your not gonna play in snow. If you live in Florida your not gonna play in snow unless it snows in any of those two states which COULD happen, but it's rare. It's not like a SEC team will come up here to play Michigan in snow, because it starts getting cold during the start of the Big 10 Football season.

Either way, you gotta be prepared. Weather is a big part of the game.

1693 1038 1902

The eagles-bears game in two weeks has been flexed to Sunday night. It's interesting because then in week 17, most likely either the eagles-cowboys or bears-packers will be the game set as the funal Sunday night game. So either way we will probably for sure one of those two twice in a row. The only other possible flwx game for week 17 is bengals-ravens....maybe.

Named Admiral Sentret

Quote Originally Posted by Mye View Post
    And the reason they have 6 losses this year is because Romo can't decide which quarterback he wants to be. Well, that and their defense is a clone of the one the redskins/eagles/giants are using this season.
    You clearly have not been watching the Cowboys play football because Tony Romo is not the reason why they are 7-6.
    All of their losses are at the hands of their godawful defense. As a Dallas Cowboys fan I know this. I watch every game as excruciatingly painful as it can be.

I don't think any of the NFC East teams are running the exact same defensive scheme Dallas is running either.

Btw just supporting this statement: weather massively effects the outcome of football games. If you have ever played in the elements then you now it effects the handling of the ball and the psyche of the player (not to mention their bodies, obviously). This is why I said if you played the Lions/Eagles game again without the elements, you might have a different outcome.
    You are dumb if you don't think weather has a large effect on the game of football.
    "Signature Strike 1 - Sig image is wider than 600 pixels. Removed." WELL DANG

ignorance is bliss winkface
    now im gone winkface

I know I took a shot at the Cowboys last night, but I definitely wanted them to beat the Bears. I hope no one took my comparison the wrong way, because I wasn't trying to compare them to the Texans.

Oh well, it is what it is I guess. If the Lions wouldn't blow it every week the Bears and Packers wouldn't be in the hunt to win the NFC North with their backup quarterbacks....It's your fault Detroit if you blow winning the division this season...
    Last edited by NintendoFan82; 10th December 2013 at 7:47 PM.

1693 1038 1902

This kind of reminds me of the end of the 2011 season, specifically the San Diego game. Detroit needed to win to clinch a playoff spot, because if they didn't, they'd have to rely on beating the (eventual) 15-1 Packers in Green Bay to make it. At the time, San Diego was on a three-game winning streak, and Detroit a two-game one - but they were coming off two lucky close games against Minny and Oakland that they probably should have lost. Almost every expert I saw had San Diego beating Detroit. What happened? Detroit played probably their most complete game of the year and dominated San Diego in every facet of the game.

Detroit tends to play well when their backs are against the wall, is what I'm saying. The Thanksgiving game is another example of that.

But I won't worry about them until the weekend. Sorry for my constant blathering and homering, everyone. Detroit is a team whose Jekyll-and-Hydeness would drive anyone insane lol - all of our teams are like that nowadays, it seems, and it's been frustrating me to no end this entire year. I'll stop now.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Latias View Post
    This kind of reminds me of the end of the 2011 season, specifically the San Diego game. Detroit needed to win to clinch a playoff spot, because if they didn't, they'd have to rely on beating the (eventual) 15-1 Packers in Green Bay to make it. At the time, San Diego was on a three-game winning streak, and Detroit a two-game one - but they were coming off two lucky close games against Minny and Oakland that they probably should have lost. Almost every expert I saw had San Diego beating Detroit. What happened? Detroit played probably their most complete game of the year and dominated San Diego in every facet of the game.

Detroit tends to play well when their backs are against the wall, is what I'm saying. The Thanksgiving game is another example of that.

But I won't worry about them until the weekend. Sorry for my constant blathering and homering, everyone. Detroit is a team whose Jekyll-and-Hydeness would drive anyone insane lol - all of our teams are like that nowadays, it seems, and it's been frustrating me to no end this entire year. I'll stop now.
    And then they lost by three scores in the playoffs.

On the road, against the Saints. As you noted in your power rankings, the Saints are nigh unbeatable at home. And anyway, Detroit didn't have a defense back then. Not to say they have a great one now, but it's better than what it was in 2011.

If Detroit makes it to the playoffs this year, they'll be at home, and I think they're capable of beating anybody on their home turf.

And I won't care if they wind up being one and done again. I'll be content as long as they make the playoffs, because it's an improvement over last year. But they better make it and win one next year.

On the road, against the Saints. As you noted in your power rankings, the Saints are nigh unbeatable at home. And anyway, Detroit didn't have a defense back then. Not to say they have a great one now, but it's better than what it was in 2011.

If Detroit makes it to the playoffs this year, they'll be at home, and I think they're capable of beating anybody on their home turf.
    except the bucs

On any given day, Detroit is very much capable of beating Tampa in Ford Field, but just because they can beat anybody at home doesn't mean they will. It takes a dynasty team to be able to be perfect (or even near-perfect) at home every year.

And need I remind you that Detroit beat Tampa on their home turf just two years ago? You can say that was an inferior Tampa team to the present one, sure. But that was also an inferior Detroit team (like I said earlier, we had no defense two years ago).

Fun fact about this allegedly much-improved Detroit defense. In 2011, Detroit's defense allowed 24.2 points per game (387 points in 16 games). So far in 2013? They are allowing 24.7 points per game (321 points in 13 games).

The Lions are, however, scoring a full 3 points per game fewer than they were in 2011 (346 in 13 games for 26.2/game this year, versus 474 in 16 games for 29.2/game in 2011).

Let's see what else. Huh, the Lions this year are -10 in turnover differential. They were +11 in 2011.
    Last edited by Sid87; 11th December 2013 at 7:42 AM.

Accidental double-post because I hit Back on my browser. Sorry.

Since you're so smart, where has Detroit gone so wrong that they're not a legitimate contender five years into the Schwartz era when Seattle became a contender almost instantly when Pete Carroll took over? Or Philly is now suddenly a contender after Chip Kelly took over or Andy Reid with the Chiefs? What do they have to do to be great?

And I no longer care that Schwartz and Mayhew started with an 0-16 team with zero talent. That's not an excuse. Any one of the coaches I named would have this team running like the Steelers of old in 2-3 years.
    Last edited by Golden_Latias; 11th December 2013 at 7:41 AM.

I dunno. Why haven't the Buffalo Bills made the playoffs this millennium? Why are the Cleveland Browns the Cleveland Browns? Some teams are just rotten from the top-down. Bad ownership makes bad hires; those bad hires evaluate talent poorly; those players stink on the field.

I can empathize. As a Seattle fan, we had this little thing I like to call "the 90's", where we were all pfffbbbbtt. But then in 1997 Paul Allen bought the team, and he's made smarter decisions than Ken Behring did and hired more competent leadership. Brought in Mike Holmgren and then Pete Carroll, hired John Schneider, etc. Best thing that ever happened was Allen buying the team and getting better people in charge of it.

So basically everything that's wrong with the Detroit is the Fords' fault, and they'll never win a Super Bowl unless they sell (which they never will, trust me) or maybe when Ford Sr. dies and Junior takes over. Junior was responsible for Millen (finally) getting fired, maybe he'll be more competent than his dad. That's what happened to Pittsburgh IIRC, because Pittsburgh sucked until the 1970s.

And here I was hoping to see them win at some point in my lifetime. :/ Or at least sometime within the next 10 or so years.

So basically everything that's wrong with the Detroit is the Fords' fault, and they'll never win a Super Bowl unless they sell (which they never will, trust me) or maybe when Ford Sr. dies and Junior takes over. Junior was responsible for Millen (finally) getting fired, maybe he'll be more competent than his dad. That's what happened to Pittsburgh IIRC, because Pittsburgh sucked until the 1970s.

And here I was hoping to see them win at some point in my lifetime. :/ Or at least sometime within the next 10 or so years.
    Pretty much the same reason the eagles were basically mostly terrible from the mid 80's to the late 90's.

Named Admiral Sentret

Quote Originally Posted by yuoke View Post
    Pretty much the same reason the eagles were basically mostly terrible from the mid 80's to the late 90's.
    Then they became mediocre in the 00s, even making it to a Super Bowl, and ended the 00s in horrible colors.
    Signiture Underconstruction

Quote Originally Posted by Qmaz246 View Post
    Then they became mediocre in the 00s, even making it to a Super Bowl, and ended the 00s in horrible colors.
    I'd say 5 nfc championships, 7 division championships, and one superbowl is better than mediocre. The only two bad years were 2011 and 2012.

Named Admiral Sentret

Looks like the Mack Brown era at Texas is coming to an end.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature
    -----
    RIP Foghorn Leghorn and Casey Kasem

Page 212 of 248 FirstFirst ... 112162202208209210211212213214215216222 ... LastLast