Page 27 of 256 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL/NCAAF Thread

No wait, it was Villanova, not Marquette. Looks like Marquette doesn't even have a team. :P
    Yeah, Marquette hasn't had a team in decades. That is the problem with this conference, however. They need to decide whether they can be a dominant football conference OR a dominant basketball conference, but not both. What I mean by that is there are all these non-football schools in the conference with good basketball programs/histories (Marquette, Nova, Georgetown, etc.),which help make it more or less the best basketball conference in the nation, but do nothing for football. Throw in Notre Dame, and half of the conference doesn't play football in the Big East. That's the problem with expansion. It's hard to get a school to join football only, and the basketball schools don't want more programs in their already bloated conference (16 before Pitt/Syracuse). That's why they would prefer ND to join full time (Something they have shown no interest in) and Villanova to move up to FBS (a program that is in no way ready for a BCS conference). And while ECU, UCF, and others are on the table, are they quality additions? I attend Central Florida, bleed black and gold, and I'll tell you firsthand that we aren't AQ worthy yet. They can add these teams and survive, but at this point in time I just don't see how they can hold onto AQ status, which is what really matters. It was one thing when the Big 12 looked like it was going to dissolve, and that the BE could pick up Kansas, KSU, Baylor, and the other remnants, but now it looks like if anything it could be the opposite, where a stable Big 12 decides to replace NU, Colorado, and TAMU. Some of the top teams they'd be looking at would be Louisville, West Virginia and Cincinnati. Throw in that it's almost a foregone conclusion that UCONN will be jumping ship to the ACC at some point down the road (potentially with Rutgers), and that WVU also is one of the leading candidates for the 14th SEC team (I can't see them staying unbalanced like that), and the Big East is looking at a very uncertain future. If I were TCU, I'd taking a hard look at staying in the MWC, if the merger with CUSA goes through.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprintking View Post
    That's why they would prefer ND to join full time (Something they have shown no interest in) and Villanova to move up to FBS (a program that is in no way ready for a BCS conference).
    Maybe I'm clueless, but why wouldn't Villanova be ready to move up? They won the lower division championship recently. I find it strange to think that they're not better then some of the lower schools currently in the BCS. I figure they at deserve a shot.
    I'm looking for a Serperior named Serpedera. It'll be at lvl 98 or above. If you happen to have such a pokemon please PM me.

Pretendeavors (Goals I have that don't really mean anything) Updated 10-04-13

Voltorb Flip, Level 8 Victories: 16
    White Geonet: All countries completed!!! (130), 505 Trade Locations (of 513)
    The Last Ten: Locations
    Arunachel Pradesh, India * Dadra & Nager Hall, India * Formosa, Argentina ()
    Henan, China * Himachal Pradesh, India * Lakshadweep, India
    Lubusz, Poland * Madhya Pradesh, India * Shaanxi, China () * Sikkim, India

Pokeathlon Pokedex: 493/493- COMPLETED!!! (01-05-13)

Quote Originally Posted by PsychicPsycho View Post
    Maybe I'm clueless, but why wouldn't Villanova be ready to move up? They won the lower division championship recently. I find it strange to think that they're not better then some of the lower schools currently in the BCS. I figure they at deserve a shot.
    The talent gap on quite a few FCS teams is really not that far off from a D1 team.

"What good is it for a man to gain the world, yet forfeit his soul?"

It's not like Syracuse or UConn is much better at football (jk, jk).

The big deal with the Big East move is that it turns realignment into a multisport problem. Big East is pretty good at everything except football, and half its members don't play it (for them).

And no ND won't be moving football to the Big East anytime soon. Do you really think we're going to give up the NBC deal? As long as we can schedule whoever we want we're staying independent.

I have claimed Giratina

Well... the Colts put Gary Brackett (Starting MLB) and Melvin Bullett (Starting S) on Injured Reserve. This in addition to the loss of Peyton Manning means... the Colts will have 3 wins at best this season. My thought is... they'll most likely tank the season and end up going 1-15 or 0-16. Thus, they will get Andrew Luck, even though they need a great defensive player to contend for a championship. Don't get me wrong, Luck will get them wins after Peyton Manning is gone, but they can't contend if Dwight Freeny and Robert Mathis have to carry the defense with pass rushing alone.
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

To clarify a bit more, the problem with Villanova has more to it than just talent. They currently play in a stadium that seats 12,500 fans. There are a grand total of 5 BCS schools that have stadiums with a capacity under 40,000, and none under 30,000. Money plays a big part in these talks and they don't compare to any schools in BCS conferences in terms of potential revenue. The attendance and brand just aren't there. In the Big 10, for example, Northwestern is the smallest at 50,000, and three schools are over 100,000. Even in the Big East, they'd be a third the size of the next smallest school, Cincinnati. What conference wants a school that can only draw that many fans on a packed weekend? Back to the talent, though, since the focus is the BE retaining AQ status, Villanova may be on par with bad BCS programs like Minnesota or Vanderbilt, but is that what the Big East needs? If we were talking about any other BCS conference, adding an FCS school would be absurd. They're already the weakest BCS conference, and the point is that adding Villanova, or most of the mid-majors they're considering, won't do much, if anything, to change that.

Kaiser, I completely agree that ND is in a perfect situation right now, with their TV deal and BCS clause, but if we head to superconferences, independence might not be a viable option. Where do you see ND heading in that hypothetical situation? There's been a lot of talk about the ACC, but I just don't see that as a good fit. I would think there's too many rivalries in the Big 10 that they wouldn't want to give up, and there's more or less a permanent offer on the table for them.
    Last edited by Sprintking; 29th September 2011 at 3:40 AM.

To clarify a bit more, the problem with Villanova has more to it than just talent. They currently play in a stadium that seats 12,500 fans. There are a grand total of 5 BCS schools that have stadiums with a capacity under 40,000, and none under 30,000. Money plays a big part in these talks and they don't compare to any schools in BCS conferences in terms of potential revenue. The attendance and brand just aren't there. In the Big 10, for example, Northwestern is the smallest at 50,000, and three schools are over 100,000. Even in the Big East, they'd be a third the size of the next smallest school, Cincinnati. What conference wants a school that can only draw that many fans on a packed weekend? Back to the talent, though, since the focus is the BE retaining AQ status, Villanova may be on par with bad BCS programs like Minnesota or Vanderbilt, but is that what the Big East needs? If we were talking about any other BCS conference, adding an FCS school would be absurd. They're already the weakest BCS conference, and the point is that adding Villanova, or most of the mid-majors they're considering, won't do much, if anything, to change that.
    Yeah the stadium part of that makes a lot of sense.

As for talent, I suppose that makes sense as well. Not to insult Syracuse, but I figured they'd be about on par with them (so they could at least replace what was lost), but perhaps not. It'd be interesting if Villanova scheduled some Big East games, just to see how they do.
    I'm looking for a Serperior named Serpedera. It'll be at lvl 98 or above. If you happen to have such a pokemon please PM me.

Since numerous members of my family are in the military, we all get together to watch the service academies play each other. And let me tell you, the Air Force vs. Navy game was awesome! The blocked extra point in OT after the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty- just wow. It wasn't the best game of the year (that's Michigan vs. Notre Dame) but it's certainly up there.
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

Yeah the stadium part of that makes a lot of sense.

As for talent, I suppose that makes sense as well. Not to insult Syracuse, but I figured they'd be about on par with them (so they could at least replace what was lost), but perhaps not. It'd be interesting if Villanova scheduled some Big East games, just to see how they do.
    Well, to be fair, with the way Syracuse has performed over the past decade there may not be too much of a drop off. Pitt is a different story, however, and if the BE wants to be relevant again, they don't need to just replace, they need to improve.

Florida is so far below Bama's level its scary. Muschamp needs to hit the recruiting trail and get some power players. No more finesse team please.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatersGreatGuardian View Post
    Florida is so far below Bama's level its scary. Muschamp needs to hit the recruiting trail and get some power players. No more finesse team please.
    Agreed. A great, dominant win for Bama, but Florida is nowhere near where they were a few years ago.

Agreed. A great, dominant win for Bama, but Florida is nowhere near where they were a few years ago.
    As a Florida fan, I am disappointed that they were unable to at least keep it competitive, but I realize that Muschamp is having to retool this entire program. I do think that in 2-3 years Florida will be a national contender again

So who here heard about larry fitzgeralds pledge for october?
    FEAR THE WRATH OF THE MIGHTY WALREIN WHO IS MINE!

Quote Originally Posted by a person View Post
    Again, N believed he would thrash your ass with his dragon, thus winning the ultimate duel of death and crap between truth and ideals. He had no idea that you would pull your own dragon out of the ass he expected to thrash.

Kaiser, I completely agree that ND is in a perfect situation right now, with their TV deal and BCS clause, but if we head to superconferences, independence might not be a viable option. Where do you see ND heading in that hypothetical situation? There's been a lot of talk about the ACC, but I just don't see that as a good fit. I would think there's too many rivalries in the Big 10 that they wouldn't want to give up, and there's more or less a permanent offer on the table for them.
    I suppose Lincoln Financial Field would help, but IIRC Temple uses it. Adding Nova would be a band-aid, not a fix either way.

For Notre Dame: I'm not sure if we would be able to maintain independence if college football became dominated by superconferences, namely because
    there would be no room for conferenced teams to schedule enough non-conference matches to make ND schedule the way it does now. In a previous post, I mentioned that right now our usual schedules include USC, Michigan, Mich. State, Navy, Boston College, Purdue, Stanford, and Pittsburgh, essentially our "conference schedule". Needless to say that's going to be hard to achieve if teams con only schedule two-ish non-conference games.

Independence offers quite a few advantages under the current system. There's the NBC deal; no matter where you are in the country you can watch ND home games on broadcast. We also have the widest fan base geographically, which is why we got games in California every year and try to play Navy in a big city on the road. We've also been having 'off-campus home games", like playing Army in New Yankee Stadium last year. The fan base works well in recruiting; we're on people's lists in every state. While we might have not been the best team in recent years, we do bring a lot to the table in therms of financials and fans, and every conference would be better off with ND in it if they had the chance.

I really don't like the idea that (assuming ND was forced to join a conference) the Big 10 is the automatic place to go. Maybe this has a lot to o with the fact that I'm from the South, not the Midwest, but I fell that by joining the B10 you automatically lose your nationwide appeal and start limiting yourself geographically. Someone wrote a letter to the editor in the school paper the other weak suggesting that hypothetically speaking the Irish would be better in the ACC than the Big 10. I have to agree from a geographic perspective: the ACC covers far more states (especially big recruiting ones like Florida) and offers less geographic risk.

Good wins by the Irish (we actually had a positive takeaway ratio lol) and Bama. Gators you should have known you can't fight the Tide.

I have claimed Giratina

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser soze View Post
    Gators you should have known you can't fight the Tide.
    College football is cyclical. UF had their time in the sun for a few years, now its bama's turn. Once Florida's new coaches get their recruits in there and integrate their system fully, I have no doubt that Florida will not only be fighting the tide, they will be beating them. This is a really young, talented team that just went through a whirlwind of coaching changes. Of course they aren't going to beat Bama in their first year in a new system.

The Kansas State/Baylor game was pretty cool today. I was disappointed in the ranked matchups, except A&M and Arkansas. I'm surprised Clemson was able to take Tech out like that.

I heard an interesting stat on TV about Ohio State: in the 2nd half today, they had negative yards (at home). All the haters rejoice while you can; they'll probably recharge only too soon.
    Well, to be fair, with the way Syracuse has performed over the past decade there may not be too much of a drop off. Pitt is a different story, however, and if the BE wants to be relevant again, they don't need to just replace, they need to improve.
    Yeah, that's why I didn't say Pitt.

They might be screwed, though, because there aren't really relevancy causing teams just sitting around.

The fumble in the Eagles game was just weird. What the hell Ronnie Brown.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

How do you lose a 23-3 lead how? God I don't even want to go to school tomorrow I'm so pissed off -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Mudkip43 View Post
    How do you lose a 23-3 lead how? God I don't even want to go to school tomorrow I'm so pissed off -_-
    I almost stopped watching that game at half time, I thought the Eagles had won. The defense fell apart in the second half, and the offense didn't do much either. Fumbles and their inability to stop the run lost them the game.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

Dream team. haha.

Andy Reid has to go and the defense has to step up their game because they were terrible today. I'm sticking with the birds though I still have confidence in them

*Sigh* Steelers.

YUM YUM JIMMY JOHN'S!

(Mostly) Related: What a great weekend it's looking like for Wisconsin. Brewers in control, Packers rolling, and the Badgers get a huge win. It's days like those that make me wish I chose Madison.

They might be screwed, though, because there aren't really relevancy causing teams just sitting around.
    Exactly. I just don't see a situation where they're able to come out of this at the same level they were at.
    Last edited by Sprintking; 2nd October 2011 at 11:29 PM.

Pretty awesome that my Bengals took out the (formerly) undefeated Bills. I'm pretty sure this is a sign of the Apocalypse.
    SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION SINCE I HAVEN'T BEEN ON SPPF FOR MORE THAN TWO YEARS

Last.fm|Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Manly Blissey View Post
    Pretty awesome that my Bengals took out the (formerly) undefeated Bills. I'm pretty sure this is a sign of the Apocalypse.
    Dalton is going to be a good one

Page 27 of 256 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast